Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the purple super stretch (or whatever it’s called) sheets are awesome. Super comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Does anyone know if a contour memory foam pillow the width of a queen mattress exists? I’ve been looking for years and the best I’ve found has been two long-ish contour pillows. They’ve helped a bit, but I still end up with my head wedged between them. Alternatively, does anyone have experience gluing memory foam together?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

localized posted:

Does anyone know if a contour memory foam pillow the width of a queen mattress exists? I’ve been looking for years and the best I’ve found has been two long-ish contour pillows. They’ve helped a bit, but I still end up with my head wedged between them. Alternatively, does anyone have experience gluing memory foam together?

Do you roll from one side of the bed completely to the other every night

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
update from purple hybrid premier 3 land

My wife has used a sleep tracker app on her phone for ten+ years now and it’s based on how much the phone senses movement / jiggling overnight to gauge like "How well" you sleep

This morning her app basically said she was dead from the time it activated last night to the time she picked up her phone to check emails lol

There’s almost no motion transfer which is tits, we're very light sleepers so we tend to wake each other up.

Also she’s mad cuz it moderates the temperature, she’s always cold and I’m always hot so I’m chuckling

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

localized posted:

You can custom order foam in almost any shape/size. For example https://foamite.com in Canada.

Cubish
Mar 12, 2006

close enough

Synastren posted:

Oh, and I rudely forgot. I'm happy to show you my credentials sometime Cubish. Since you don't have PMs, you can email this username at gmail and I'll respond with some intra company details, if you are curious.

No, not rude at all. It's an internet message board, it doesn't move at lightning pace, and we're both working. We've got lives! I've never been smart to make my SA username gmail yet, but then again I've only ever been here to read and lurk and am never very active anyway. If at all. This thread just caught my eye because hey, I know about beds! And here I am. So I'll send you something in the subject line to just make it obvious.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a new mattress for the first time in an embarrassingly long time and I have no idea where to start. The market seems like its changed alot since the last time I was shopping too.

I'm kinda afraid to buy a mattress without trying it in person, what are my options there?
Are there any industry standard stiffness/firmness measurements that manufacturers use?
Features I should look for or avoid?

My current mattress has had a pretty noticeable sag for awhile now, but recently I've been having lower back pain so I'm finally motivated to find a new one.

If any of this was covered previously point me to it!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&userid=87117

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

localized posted:

Bolster pillows are the closest thing to that I'm aware of, and those are only similar in size. As unknown suggested, you'll almost certainly need to get that specially made. As an aside, that handle is innately confusing. :v:

Cubish posted:

No, not rude at all. It's an internet message board, it doesn't move at lightning pace, and we're both working. We've got lives! I've never been smart to make my SA username gmail yet, but then again I've only ever been here to read and lurk and am never very active anyway. If at all. This thread just caught my eye because hey, I know about beds! And here I am. So I'll send you something in the subject line to just make it obvious.

I saw it today, but didn't get to it. I'm just starting some time off for the first time since September, but I'll drop you a line in the not-so-distant future!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm in the market for a new mattress for the first time in an embarrassingly long time and I have no idea where to start. The market seems like its changed alot since the last time I was shopping too.

I'm kinda afraid to buy a mattress without trying it in person, what are my options there?
Are there any industry standard stiffness/firmness measurements that manufacturers use?
Features I should look for or avoid?

My current mattress has had a pretty noticeable sag for awhile now, but recently I've been having lower back pain so I'm finally motivated to find a new one.

1) Mattress Firm is virtually everywhere in the US; Sleep Country for Canada. Failing that (or in addition to that), furniture stores in general sell mattresses. Further, you may have some local mattress specialty stores that range from one location small (Mattress [noun] seems popular) to regional-but-not-national (e.g., Denver Mattress, Brooklyn Bedding, Mattress Hub, etc.). While Costco/Sam's/Macy's/JCPenney's, etc., may sell mattresses, they may not have them out to try, and folks there likely know relatively little about them.

2) Not really, no. Generally speaking, on a scale, you'll have "Firm" and "Plush" as indicators, independent of "pillowtop" labels. The only things that are actually fairly consistent are "extra firm" and "ultra plush," with everything else fitting in vaguely similarly in the middle. Typically firmness levels are most consistent within manufacturers, but it's kinda hard to compare Brand X Cushion Firm with Brand Y Cushion Firm in an objective way. Keep an open mind as you look, and start with "medium" unless you have a good reason to start elsewhere!

3) In my opinion, the only thing to generally avoid is a connected coil system. It's the least good of all support types in my opinion, good only for being hard, which is overvalued in general for some reason. Go with features in bedding that you either want or believe would actually positively benefit you; just because something costs more or less does not mean it will work any better or worse for you outside of how it affects your finances. More memory foam (or Tempur foam) is going to make it more difficult to move around in/on, but will also make it much harder to feel other movement in the bed.

Other random tips:
Don't believe that "cooling gel foam" is actually going to cool you down, because 99% of the time gel is added to foam to make it denser without increasing its cost significantly.
Don't just assume that your boxed foundation (aka box spring) is going to work for a new bed. Check that poo poo, and recognize that failure to update your box may aversely affect your warranty on the new mattress. Platforms are a-ok for virtually every mattress. Adjustable bases are unironically loving great.
Mattresses of similar quality tend to be similar in price. If you see that the Jimbo mattress is $4k in Store A store, but they're selling it for $1.5k in Store B, there is something else going on there than the first store is gauging you! It is much more likely that Store B is selling something different--or in clearance and failing to completely disclose why it's so much cheaper!
Your pillow will likely not feel the same on a new bed. Pillows matter more than you may think.

This made me laugh a lot harder than it really should have, and also gave me the warm fuzzies. Thanks, random goon! Also, holy poo poo I did not realize I've been lurking around these parts since 2017! Even though I didn't have a year's experience then, looking back, most of what I said is consistent with what I have learned since, so that's pretty gratifying. Big changes in my experience since then:

Prices have gone up a few hundred dollars across the board since 2017.
I'm intimately familiar with Purple, since I've been able to sell it myself since 2019 or so.
A whole lot of company shenanigans involving changing relationships with multiple manufacturers and corporate restructuring that ranged from lip-service to Big Fuckin Changes.
Successful career so far!~
Hopefully helping goons make better, more informed choices, though only a few folks have let me know things have gone well!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

Hot tips and good advice

Thanks!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Review: Purple Mattress 4

Me: 6'3", 170Lbs, Side Sleeper primary - occasionally opting for the back

I also got the Tall Purple Harmony pillow.

The Mattress is really good. I've had great sleep on the week I've had it so far. It sleeps noticeably cooler than my previous bed (I don't have the 'mattress protector' though), and it has an adequate amount of squish and give, which is what I wanted out of the Purple 4 that I didn't think I'd get out the Purple 3. My choice at the end of the day was basically between a Temperpedic Breeze, and this. Both beds have no real box spring, so moving is slightly less complex and more or less rest on a metal platform. The Temperpedic has this really cool property where you slowly sink into the bed an extra inch over the night and it really 'hugs' you. The Purple does not do this and you will get a real good idea of what it will feel like by just laying on it for 2 minutes. Ultimately, if I slept on my back more, I think I would have went with the Temperpedic, but I'm on my side a lot, so Purple it is.

My big concerns with Purple are durability, although the construction seems like it'd hold for the long haul. Regardless, the warranty terms are basically worthless and if you are using that as a point for purchase, I would read those terms real carefully.

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far, but my perspective is a little weird since I'm going from a College Twin bed I bought when I was 19 on Clearance for $250 to this $4,000 Queen that I bought when I was 34. I suspect most mattresses in that price bracket will feel like a substantial upgrade. Did I get the most upgrade that I could? I will never know! To College Bed's credit, I got good mileage out of it I suppose. Thank you for your service, College Bed.

Another note about support: I had a rodeo of a time with Purple's support. The caveat here is that this was all invoked by me. I recently moved, auto-filled out the address form, and I filled out my old address. I *immediately* realized this, got in touch with support in just a few minutes after hitting 'Order', and asked to update the address. They said they did, and they didn't. I know this because when the freight order was created the next day, it was going to my old address. I contacted them again, and they said they fixed it, but they didn't. The mattress was eventually delivered to my old address that I had to then re-direct the day of. Ditto the sheets and pillows. I had to pay to ship the accessories to me, but I didn't have to pay to re-direct the mattress itself.

[++] Every time I contacted purple, I immediately talked to a human who seemed to have my chat history and used it meaningfully.
[--] Those humans seem to suck at their job, or something is incredibly hosed up with their logistics.

Also, when they say, 'free mattress removal', they mean 'mattress' not 'bed. They did in fact remove exactly my old mattress, but I had to pay someone else to come and get the box spring and the frame.

Anyway, I really do like the mattress so far. I *really* like the pillow though and recommend the Harmony Pillow for anyone who sleeps on their side. It is the real MVP of the show here.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 3, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey guys, I've been on a 12" Zinus foam from Amazon and I'm in the market for something a little nicer if it exists.

5'11 dude, 150lbs. I sleep somewhere between side and stomach, I'd say more side than anything. Like lay on your stomach, then bring your right knee up to your right elbow so you go up onto your left shoulder and your left arm goes under your pillow, that's me baby!

I'm looking for something a little softer. SleepLikeTheDead is pushing the Layla dual sided foam mattress on me (soft side) and I've also laid on my friend's purple and thought it might feel nice. Layla is also including 2 pillows and is on sale! Also looking at the Tuft n Needle Mint.

Any suggestions or input?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 10, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Review: Purple Mattress 4

Me: 6'3", 170Lbs, Side Sleeper primary - occasionally opting for the back

I also got the Tall Purple Harmony pillow.

The Mattress is really good. I've had great sleep on the week I've had it so far. It sleeps noticeably cooler than my previous bed (I don't have the 'mattress protector' though), and it has an adequate amount of squish and give, which is what I wanted out of the Purple 4 that I didn't think I'd get out the Purple 3. My choice at the end of the day was basically between a Temperpedic Breeze, and this. Both beds have no real box spring, so moving is slightly less complex and more or less rest on a metal platform. The Temperpedic has this really cool property where you slowly sink into the bed an extra inch over the night and it really 'hugs' you. The Purple does not do this and you will get a real good idea of what it will feel like by just laying on it for 2 minutes. Ultimately, if I slept on my back more, I think I would have went with the Temperpedic, but I'm on my side a lot, so Purple it is.

My big concerns with Purple are durability, although the construction seems like it'd hold for the long haul. Regardless, the warranty terms are basically worthless and if you are using that as a point for purchase, I would read those terms real carefully.

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far, but my perspective is a little weird since I'm going from a College Twin bed I bought when I was 19 on Clearance for $250 to this $4,000 Queen that I bought when I was 34. I suspect most mattresses in that price bracket will feel like a substantial upgrade. Did I get the most upgrade that I could? I will never know! To College Bed's credit, I got good mileage out of it I suppose. Thank you for your service, College Bed.

Another note about support: I had a rodeo of a time with Purple's support. The caveat here is that this was all invoked by me. I recently moved, auto-filled out the address form, and I filled out my old address. I *immediately* realized this, got in touch with support in just a few minutes after hitting 'Order', and asked to update the address. They said they did, and they didn't. I know this because when the freight order was created the next day, it was going to my old address. I contacted them again, and they said they fixed it, but they didn't. The mattress was eventually delivered to my old address that I had to then re-direct the day of. Ditto the sheets and pillows. I had to pay to ship the accessories to me, but I didn't have to pay to re-direct the mattress itself.

[++] Every time I contacted purple, I immediately talked to a human who seemed to have my chat history and used it meaningfully.
[--] Those humans seem to suck at their job, or something is incredibly hosed up with their logistics.

Also, when they say, 'free mattress removal', they mean 'mattress' not 'bed. They did in fact remove exactly my old mattress, but I had to pay someone else to come and get the box spring and the frame.

Anyway, I really do like the mattress so far. I *really* like the pillow though and recommend the Harmony Pillow for anyone who sleeps on their side. It is the real MVP of the show here.

It must be delivery company dependent. They took my box spring and offered to take the frame, but I kept it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Rolo posted:

Hey guys, I've been on a 12" Zinus foam from Amazon and I'm in the market for something a little nicer if it exists.

5'11 dude, 150lbs. I sleep somewhere between side and stomach, I'd say more side than anything. Like lay on your stomach, then bring your right knee up to your right elbow so you go up onto your left shoulder and your left arm goes under your pillow, that's me baby!

I'm looking for something a little softer. SleepLikeTheDead is pushing the Layla dual sided foam mattress on me (soft side) and I've also laid on my friend's purple and thought it might feel nice. Layla is also including 2 pillows and is on sale! Also looking at the Tuft n Needle Mint.

Any suggestions or input?

Sorry for the incredibly late response, work has been difficult lately, and demanding a lot of my time and energy.

If you're going for foam, Nectar makes some quite soft foam products. The Tuft & Needle mint is a fine bed, but is going to be quite firm (the original T&N mattress is also on the firm side). I don't know much about Layla, honestly. Purple can be great for folks that like it, and absolutely awful if you don't like the feel of it.

You may also want to consider a hybrid mattress of some kind; there are hundreds of different options out there!

To soften it, for someone of your stature, you'll need something that the top layers are quite soft. Most mattresses* are designed for folks in the 180-200 pound range, and dense topping materials are just going to feel firm and hard. Unfortunately, I think you'll have to go try some out to get an idea of what is appropriate.

*At least the warranties are for that, and my experience is limited to major brands within the USA.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Do you guys have any recommendations for a mattress topper? The wife(5'7" 180lbs side sleeper) and I(5'10" 230lbs stomach sleeper) are looking to buy a whole new bed hopefully some time in the next couple of years, but until then, I'm basically completely over and done with the lovely 15 year old mattress I'm currently sleeping on. The drat thing is to the point where I wake up with lower back pain literally every morning, and when I lay down at night, I can feel various lumps and hard spots in the mattress poking me in my ribs and stomach and such. I'd like to get something to spread out over the top of the mattress to provide some more cushion and comfort, but I also sleep like a furnace, so something like straight up memory foam would likely be out in the summer unless it's got some sort of active cooling something-or-other going on with it. Any ideas on what to look at?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
What brands of mattress toppers are actually good at cooling?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My partner and I are not picky, and I'm not too interested in trying something new/adventurous. About a decade ago we got a Sealy/Seward mattress, box spring, and frame set from us-mattress.com, and aside from the fact that Sealy lost the order which led to delays, we were happy with it.

Should I just go with this which seems to be the modern version of the same thing I got? Is there a better site than US-Mattress.com?
We have a truck if there might be a place in the Baltimore/DC area to save on shipping.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

dirby posted:

My partner and I are not picky, and I'm not too interested in trying something new/adventurous. About a decade ago we got a Sealy/Seward mattress, box spring, and frame set from us-mattress.com, and aside from the fact that Sealy lost the order which led to delays, we were happy with it.

Should I just go with this which seems to be the modern version of the same thing I got? Is there a better site than US-Mattress.com?
We have a truck if there might be a place in the Baltimore/DC area to save on shipping.

You'll probably be happy with something in the general "Summer Rose" category. There are like 4 different comfort levels of that model, from firm to a big ole pillowtop. They're also generally at or under the $1k mark.

The Essentials collection is a connected coil design, which implies a fairly short lifespan. Their Posturepedic collection (with or without the "Plus" designation) has individual coils and a better warranty. I think the Seward did too, but I can't remember for sure.

Haji posted:

What brands of mattress toppers are actually good at cooling?

Truthfully, I haven't the foggiest fuckin clue. Toppers are one of the areas I don't know as much about, unfortunately. I'd look for something with phase change material (PCM), or a topper that sells itself based on its ventilation and whatever fabric is around the foam. I think there is a Reactex topper in the works, and I'd expect that to be pretty chill, but I don't know more than that.

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a mattress topper? The wife(5'7" 180lbs side sleeper) and I(5'10" 230lbs stomach sleeper) are looking to buy a whole new bed hopefully some time in the next couple of years, but until then, I'm basically completely over and done with the lovely 15 year old mattress I'm currently sleeping on. The drat thing is to the point where I wake up with lower back pain literally every morning, and when I lay down at night, I can feel various lumps and hard spots in the mattress poking me in my ribs and stomach and such. I'd like to get something to spread out over the top of the mattress to provide some more cushion and comfort, but I also sleep like a furnace, so something like straight up memory foam would likely be out in the summer unless it's got some sort of active cooling something-or-other going on with it. Any ideas on what to look at?

Topper is a band-aid fix that serves primarily to soften a mattress. You might be able to spend a hundred or two dollars to eke out another year or two, but don't expect more than that. Memory foam is the most likely topper you'll find, but there also exist latex and down toppers. 3 inches seems to be the goldilocks thickness for a topper for most folks. 2 inches if you're looking to soften a little, 4 inches if you want to completely change what the bed feels like on top.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I messed up my spine a few years back and ever since then, I've preferred sleeping on the floor due to the simplicity and the firmness. I had a great 4" tri-fold foam mattress (ie. shikifuton/buton) that I need to replace. I'm now realizing it has fiberglass in it and almost every other brand does as well for fire retardant status.

I see there are a few full mattresses that don't have fiberglass, but I don't want a giant mattress. Searching hasn't turned up anything useful yet. Any options that others are aware of?

edit: I also have a strong dust mite allergy to add another constraint.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 16, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

luchadornado posted:

I messed up my spine a few years back and ever since then, I've preferred sleeping on the floor due to the simplicity and the firmness. I had a great 4" tri-fold foam mattress (ie. shikifuton/buton) that I need to replace. I'm now realizing it has fiberglass in it and almost every other brand does as well for fire retardant status.

I see there are a few full mattresses that don't have fiberglass, but I don't want a giant mattress. Searching hasn't turned up anything useful yet. Any options that others are aware of?

edit: I also have a strong dust mite allergy to add another constraint.

For something that firm, virtually any fairly thin foam mattress should deliver fine. Keep in mind most of them (also the tri-fold) are not exactly built for longevity... but they tend to be inexpensive.

Mattress Firm has A 4 inch trifold as well as a 6 inch trifold option. There are also at least 4 or 5 six inch mattresses. Important note: every mattress will have some sort of fire resistant layer. I'm not sure how often fiberglass is used, but the majority of products I'm familiar with are actually silicate fabric, rather than fiberglass. Note that while they are pretty similar, they are still distinct materials.

For your dust mite allergy, there are scores of mattress protectors that would be perfectly suited to your needs. If you want to go real hard, get a full on encasement. You might want to check around your local retailers and see if there are any discontinued protectors that they have in a full size. Speaking from experience, after we close out on accessories, the odd sized ones (e.g., full, calking) tend to linger for months after a product is discontinued simply because they aren't front-of-mind and come up rarely.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I recently bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's awesome, best mattress I've ever had. However, I'm now thinking that I should probably replace my mattress platform, because I'm pretty sure it's sagging. It doesn't look like it's sagging when I examine the underside but I can feel a difference sleeping on one side of the bed (where I've routinely slept for the past several years) and the other, and additionally if I lay right in the middle (where there's a reinforcement bar) it feels much firmer. The platform I'm currently using is this one from Amazon, and by the specs it should be fine, but it probably has the usual trash Amazon level of quality and a few years of use has put it past its life span.

I really like the height (16"), the underbed storage, the simplicity, and the fact that the legs aren't right at the corners for me to stub my toes on. Another inch or two of height would be even better but 16" is fine, although I don't want to go shorter than that. I don't need it to be adjustable, I don't need a headboard, I don't need it to look nice because I use a bed skirt and can't see it anyway. I could get another one of the same type and just plan to throw it away after a couple of years but that's wasteful and I'd rather buy something solid enough to not have to replace.

Purple has their own mattress platform that's very similar to this one but it's only 14" and I'd rather not get something shorter than my current one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have had a Zinus 16" in Cal King right on 3 years and that thing is supposed to be rated for 3,000 lbs but yeah probably measured on the center bars. I don't see any other platform/rack styled any sturdier than it - so I hope they don't crap out after 5 years or something.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've had mine just shy of three years, using it with a different mattress. Honestly, the reason I'm worried about it is the thought that it might damage my new mattress in some way. The Hybrid 4 is worth the price tag, especially if it lasts ten years or so, but I sure don't want to be replacing it any time soon.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Hi mattress thread! I have a n old Miralux Luna that is medium on the (plush/medium/firm scale) that I really like. It is about 15 years old and starting to sag in the places. I went out to a mattress place and tried a bunch of stuff and I learned a few things.
  • I do not like the foam things. Tempurpedics and the like.
  • The hybrid things are OK, but not great. I tried a black Beautyrest, but I forget the name.
  • Purple is probably a bit too squishy
  • I tried a bunch of 'conventional' mattresses, and I liked them best.

I think this means I am in the market for a conventional mattress. I tried something with a name like 'aireloom' and it was nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $4,000 on a mattress. I then tried a few more and the last one I tried was (I think) Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon. What else should I look at? What am I missing?

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Hi mattress thread, I didn't realize we had this but it's great that we do. I'm mostly trying to troubleshoot some sleep issues, and my mattress seems like a decent trouble to shoot since I've noticed I frequently sleep better when I'm traveling.

I got my current mattress (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777KCJD1?th=1) when I moved about four years ago, and I just sort of needed a mattress ASAP. This seemed fine but I bought it off the internet without trying it out and I've never been really satisfied with it. I invariably wake up with stiffness in my right shoulder and right hip, and I tend to be groggy in the morning more often than not. Part of that is definitely that I'm overweight (which I'm working on) but, like I said, at least the shoulder and hip problems don't seem to happen nearly as often when I'm sleeping away from home. Should I be looking for a new mattress? If so, any recommendations?

Stats:
6'3", 315 lbs
Side-sleeper, pretty much exclusively on my right side
Pillow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EINBSJ2
King-sized bed, budget isn't a concern if it gets me a good night's sleep.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Winkbed Plus.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I went to Mattress Firm and the person working there was definitely not a grad student trying to educate me. She had me try a bunch of beds, including Purples. The one I liked the most was the Beautyrest PressureSmart Firm, which she says is on sale at $900. I don't mind spending more than that, a good bed is worth the money, but should I just buy this cheap thing since I liked it best?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

First up, sorry for responding to these things late, work has been taking it out of me lately for any number of reasons. I do have some generic statements that folks looking may find useful, with general goings-on at Firm!

Kylaer posted:

I recently bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's awesome, best mattress I've ever had. However, I'm now thinking that I should probably replace my mattress platform, because I'm pretty sure it's sagging. It doesn't look like it's sagging when I examine the underside but I can feel a difference sleeping on one side of the bed (where I've routinely slept for the past several years) and the other, and additionally if I lay right in the middle (where there's a reinforcement bar) it feels much firmer. The platform I'm currently using is this one from Amazon, and by the specs it should be fine, but it probably has the usual trash Amazon level of quality and a few years of use has put it past its life span.

I really like the height (16"), the underbed storage, the simplicity, and the fact that the legs aren't right at the corners for me to stub my toes on. Another inch or two of height would be even better but 16" is fine, although I don't want to go shorter than that. I don't need it to be adjustable, I don't need a headboard, I don't need it to look nice because I use a bed skirt and can't see it anyway. I could get another one of the same type and just plan to throw it away after a couple of years but that's wasteful and I'd rather buy something solid enough to not have to replace.

Purple has their own mattress platform that's very similar to this one but it's only 14" and I'd rather not get something shorter than my current one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your platform is sagging, replace it. It's cheaper than replacing your mattress, and the Premier Hybrids are loving heavy. This platform is incredibly sturdy and priced extremely well. It's one of the few online-only items that we sell that I've seen in person, and it's a beefy boy. You'll have a hard time finding something that is going to be both strong and 16 inches tall, in my experience. You may have better results looking at actual platform furniture, rather than a platform, but I confess that I am not aware of what all is out there for these types of products. If you want my opinion on something, I'd be happy to give it!

Boot and Rally posted:

Hi mattress thread! I have a n old Miralux Luna that is medium on the (plush/medium/firm scale) that I really like. It is about 15 years old and starting to sag in the places. I went out to a mattress place and tried a bunch of stuff and I learned a few things.
  • I do not like the foam things. Tempurpedics and the like.
  • The hybrid things are OK, but not great. I tried a black Beautyrest, but I forget the name.
  • Purple is probably a bit too squishy
  • I tried a bunch of 'conventional' mattresses, and I liked them best.

I think this means I am in the market for a conventional mattress. I tried something with a name like 'aireloom' and it was nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $4,000 on a mattress. I then tried a few more and the last one I tried was (I think) Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon. What else should I look at? What am I missing?

First up, I know nothing about Miralux. Apparently, the parent company of the label disintegrated in 2012.

Aireloom are good solid products, but I'm less familiar since we don't sell them. I'm familiar with the direct competition that we do carry (and carried over the last five years), and I don't have anything bad to say about them aside from their high price. Their closest direct competitors on the national stage would be high end Kingsdown, Chattam & Wells, and Kluft. The only reason that I say those are their direct competitors, as they typically are tufted (at least half-tufted), and involve similar components (e.g., latex, little-to-no memory foam). At the same general quality level, but with more variation, you'd have BeautyRest Black (note: relaunch immanent, likely within the next 6 months I'd guess), or Stearns & Foster. If you're going to Mattress Firm (unlikely with the Harmony line you mentioned), you'd be looking for BeautyRest Beyond, not Black.

There are two Beautyrest * Lux lines: PressureSmart Lux that Mattress Firm has, and Harmony Lux that everyone else has. The biggest difference between the two is that the PressureSmart line has some memory foam in the actual quilted layer of the mattress, which offers superior pressure relief without giving a memory foam feel. The Harmony line uses carbon fiber infused memory foam for superior temperature regulation. Otherwise, the lines are largely interchangable. I'm a fan of both of those lines, honestly. They're super solid mattresses with a hint of luxury to them, as well. I think I like them a bit better than most of the luxury innersprings I've seen, if I'm being brutally honest, particularly from a price-to-performance ratio.

Steely Dad posted:

I went to Mattress Firm and the person working there was definitely not a grad student trying to educate me. She had me try a bunch of beds, including Purples. The one I liked the most was the Beautyrest PressureSmart Firm, which she says is on sale at $900. I don't mind spending more than that, a good bed is worth the money, but should I just buy this cheap thing since I liked it best?

The push for the company to go into sleep education is a relatively new one (~1 year). More tenured folks don't necessarily have that drive, and newer ones haven't learned as much yet!

PressureSmart Firm is a perfectly serviceable mattress; I wouldn't necessarily suggest it if you spend most of your time on your side, but it is a lot more pressure relieving than other similarly firm mattresses. It carries the same warranty as any other traditional innerspring even 3 times its price.

I could make some suggestions after answering some questions, which I'd be happy to take to PM, if you'd like!

Classy Devil posted:

Hi mattress thread, I didn't realize we had this but it's great that we do. I'm mostly trying to troubleshoot some sleep issues, and my mattress seems like a decent trouble to shoot since I've noticed I frequently sleep better when I'm traveling.

I got my current mattress (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777KCJD1?th=1) when I moved about four years ago, and I just sort of needed a mattress ASAP. This seemed fine but I bought it off the internet without trying it out and I've never been really satisfied with it. I invariably wake up with stiffness in my right shoulder and right hip, and I tend to be groggy in the morning more often than not. Part of that is definitely that I'm overweight (which I'm working on) but, like I said, at least the shoulder and hip problems don't seem to happen nearly as often when I'm sleeping away from home. Should I be looking for a new mattress? If so, any recommendations?

Stats:
6'3", 315 lbs
Side-sleeper, pretty much exclusively on my right side
Pillow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EINBSJ2
King-sized bed, budget isn't a concern if it gets me a good night's sleep.

I assume that you're sleeping on your right side for this one. Seems like your mattress is too hard, and is putting pressure on those joints. I'd look for something with a hardy support but with a pressure relieving top. You could theoretically achieve somewhat similar results with a firmer mattress and invest in a good topper. For example, if you were to pursue the mattress mentioned by Steely Dad and add a three inch topper, you'd roughly approximate any decent online-only hybrid floating around the greater internet. I'd always suggest going to your local retailer and trying what is on offer in a price you're comfortable with. If you go to Mattress Firm, I'd recommend going through the MattressMatcher before coming in just to do some pre-work--if you would rather do it in-store, that is what your sleep expert should do fairly early on, anyway. Keep in mind that most mattresses in hotels are typically cheap crap that I would hate to sell to someone, as the majority of major hotels replace their mattresses every year or two. They do, however, spend a lot of money on their bedding!

For general troubleshooting, I'd suggest that the pain in your hips and shoulder is resulting in you waking up in the middle of the night to shift or roll over, and you likely aren't awake long enough to remember it in the morning. If it is disrupting sleep cycles, it will result in subpar sleep. I'd suggest grabbing a sleep tracking app of your choice, be it a wearable like a FitBit, a dedicated device like you could get from BeautyRest or Tempurpedic, or a free app like the Sleep.com app, you might get a bit more visibility in what's going on at night.

On to other stuff!

:siren: There are a lot of floor models being sold at Mattress Firm, all around the country right now! :siren:

I run a couple of stores, and between the two of them, I have ten floor model queen size mattresses that need to move, so I'm certain that your local store likely has at least one or two. They're spread in normal price from about $1000 to about $4000, and should be marked 50% off, if not a deeper discount, location depending. Keep in mind that availability varies, and that pricing may vary based on the need of a given store to make space for new models.

The big reason for this one is a quiet launch of new product that has hit stores nowhere near when I expected (it's almost unheard of for us to get new products in August, it's usually sometime between October and April) that will likely be advertised soon. Almost all locations need to make space for the new stuff, so if you're looking for something and don't mind a floor model, now is a good time to get out there.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not mattress directly - but sleep equipment adjacent :)

Anybody use ear plugs to cancel noise while sleeping?

Any recommendations? I’m a side sleeper so that changes the dynamic a bit.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not mattress directly - but sleep equipment adjacent :)

Anybody use ear plugs to cancel noise while sleeping?

Any recommendations? I’m a side sleeper so that changes the dynamic a bit.

I recently got a set of Loop earplugs, for noise cancellation when I'm sleeping and doing night shift. I haven't had to use them yet, but the initial test was good. They're comfortable and won't completely mute things, just muffle it enough that you should be able to sleep through it.

They should work fine for a side sleeper, they're designed to tuck into the ear and be practically unnoticed while you're wearing them.

They were pretty cheap off of Amazon.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

tinytort posted:

I recently got a set of Loop earplugs, for noise cancellation when I'm sleeping and doing night shift. I haven't had to use them yet, but the initial test was good. They're comfortable and won't completely mute things, just muffle it enough that you should be able to sleep through it.

They should work fine for a side sleeper, they're designed to tuck into the ear and be practically unnoticed while you're wearing them.

They were pretty cheap off of Amazon.

Nice ty I will give them a try :)

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

My wife and I just tested out a few of the Purple mattresses at our local Mattress Firm, and we loved the Purple Hybrid.

Any recommendations on which mattress protector would work best with it? I prefer the 5-side protectors since I am absolutely loving terrified of bedbugs, but I'm worried about the protector potentially taking away some of the "squish" of the mattress.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Setec_Astronomy posted:

My wife and I just tested out a few of the Purple mattresses at our local Mattress Firm, and we loved the Purple Hybrid.

Any recommendations on which mattress protector would work best with it? I prefer the 5-side protectors since I am absolutely loving terrified of bedbugs, but I'm worried about the protector potentially taking away some of the "squish" of the mattress.

Three options in my opinion:

Purple protector is stretchy, and so will not compromise the feel. Ditto the Tempurpedic Breeze protector. The Breeze protector will add a bit of cooling, but is also quite expensive. The PureCare Frio protector is also a fine choice, as it is five sided but also is loose enough it shouldn't constrict the mattress.

I use a frio protector on a 16 inch thick intellibed (similar technology as Purple wrt gel grids), and it works a treat.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Very much appreciated. Now to decide between getting another queen or springing for the king.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Quick heads-up to everyone that basically every single company that is doing Labor Day sales have started what they were doing. I expect most of them to last through the week of Labor Day, likely ending somewhere around September 10-15, depending on what company is running what sales.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m desperately in need of a new mattress, the old one is maybe 10 or 15 years old and is kind of a lumpy shambles. It was a firm mattress with memory foam layer, pocket springs for partner isolation, pretty good for the first few years until the memory foam went flat.

My current problems with it are springs digging into my partner on his side; on my side, if I sleep on my back my lower back hurts from my butt sinking in too much (makes me think mattress is too soft) but if I lay on my side to ease my back, my arms/hands go numb (makes me think my mattress is too hard). We have rotated the mattress (top to tail not upsidedown) which helped a little bit but it is not a long term solution for a mattress this old.

I was thinking of getting a less firm mattress to try and ease some of the age related aches and pains but I am paranoid about back pain or being stuck on my side. My normal sleep patterns are to fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I do suspect something is wrong with my pillow which is causing neck problems which is causing numbness rather than it being the mattress but I can’t easily tell. I’ve had temporary improvements from changing my pillow but the hand numbness did come back. I’m 5 foot 4 so I’m wary of “one size fits all” zoned beds, I feel like my butt will for sure be in the wrong place if my head is in the right place and vice versa.

I can sleep on the floor and on an old hard foam couch so I’ve wondered about a full latex mattress but I’d rather have springs I think. My bed frame is metal with 11 2x4s holding the mattress, it’s very sturdy and I don’t think this needs to be replaced.

I’m not really looking for advice about brands since due to my location, I’ll probably be buying locally made, but just an overview of what kind of mattress construction or composition could be beneficial. Any tips?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Stoca Zola posted:

I’m desperately in need of a new mattress, the old one is maybe 10 or 15 years old and is kind of a lumpy shambles. It was a firm mattress with memory foam layer, pocket springs for partner isolation, pretty good for the first few years until the memory foam went flat.

My current problems with it are springs digging into my partner on his side; on my side, if I sleep on my back my lower back hurts from my butt sinking in too much (makes me think mattress is too soft) but if I lay on my side to ease my back, my arms/hands go numb (makes me think my mattress is too hard). We have rotated the mattress (top to tail not upsidedown) which helped a little bit but it is not a long term solution for a mattress this old.

I was thinking of getting a less firm mattress to try and ease some of the age related aches and pains but I am paranoid about back pain or being stuck on my side. My normal sleep patterns are to fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I do suspect something is wrong with my pillow which is causing neck problems which is causing numbness rather than it being the mattress but I can’t easily tell. I’ve had temporary improvements from changing my pillow but the hand numbness did come back. I’m 5 foot 4 so I’m wary of “one size fits all” zoned beds, I feel like my butt will for sure be in the wrong place if my head is in the right place and vice versa.

I can sleep on the floor and on an old hard foam couch so I’ve wondered about a full latex mattress but I’d rather have springs I think. My bed frame is metal with 11 2x4s holding the mattress, it’s very sturdy and I don’t think this needs to be replaced.

I’m not really looking for advice about brands since due to my location, I’ll probably be buying locally made, but just an overview of what kind of mattress construction or composition could be beneficial. Any tips?

Sorry, I've had a number of things going on that have generally kept me away from the forums; here's a disappointingly late response!

Broadly speaking, consider the construction of a mattress by what it does for you.
Coils will provide fairly conforming support, and will be easiest to move in; they also have the widest range of feel. I would never recommend any sort of connected coil, and if you can find them where they are pre-compressed (read: pocketed, not encased), that is definitely better.
Foam will be the most conforming, and will be generally firm if the foam is also the support layer. Memory foam is the most difficult thing to move in, but also will contour better than almost anything else.
Latex will generally walk a strange middle line where it is typically on the firmer side, but because it is rubber, it tends to be fairly easy to move in.

What you seem to be describing is just that the mattress has reached the end of its life. The support isn't doing what you would like (i.e., when you feel it is too soft), and the comfort layer is not performing (i.e., when you feel it is too firm). My recommendation is to try for something that is vaguely similar to what you had before, and then do some slight adjustments to the firmness based on what your body tells you when you try it. If you're on your side more often, lean slightly softer; on your back, you may wish to go firmer. Most importantly, if at all possible try what options are available, and take your time. Lay in these mattresses as you normally would, and try to detect if you feel these pressure points after 5ish minutes. If your shoulders start to ache, the mattress is likely not relieving enough pressure, and that could easily turn into sleeping hands after a night's sleep.

Zoning is great, but you need to make an adjustment to where you would normally orient yourself: place your hips in the middle of the bed, rather than your head at the top. Think of how you may cuddle with someone else back-to-front, where you want hips to be in the same general latitude. :v:

Your platform bed seems structurally sound from what you've described. Only change it if you want to, particularly if those boards are 2 inches or less apart--that would satisfy any major manufacturer's warranty requirements, and I would assume whatever local options you have would likely be more generous.

With regard to the pillow concern, you should consider the pillow not just an accessory, but a component of the over all bed system. The same pillow will feel different on a different bed, as the pillow functions to support the vertebrae in your neck as well as your head. If your shoulders sink a different amount in Bed X against Bed Y, then the same pillow may be more or less appropriate to one or the other--likely not equally good. I suspect your current mattress is just shot, and that is why you've had mixed results with pillows. I would revisit that part after making a mattress decision!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend and I are looking to upgrade to a king from a queen so I'm starting the process of mattress shopping again. We're currently on a Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever which I've had for 5 or so years. I've liked it and she seems to like it but my back has started to hurt. I start out on my stomach but flip over through the night. She tosses and turns throughout the night. We both sleep hot. I tend to like firmer beds and she generally likes softer, but she likes the current mattress which is definitely on the firm side. We're in a rural area and both of us getting to a mattress store to try stuff isn't going to be super easy but I'm in KC daily for work and there's a mattress firm near where I work. I don't necessarily want to spend $3k+ on a mattress but it seems like one of the Purple hybrids(most likely the 3?) are top tier options and this thread seems to love them. I'm gonna go try some stuff out at some point, is there anything comparable to the purple that's mostly online?

e: I'm interested in some hybrids like what I have now. The Bear Elite Hybrid, Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, and Winkbed all look like decent options too.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 18, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking to upgrade to a king from a queen so I'm starting the process of mattress shopping again. We're currently on a Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever which I've had for 5 or so years. I've liked it and she seems to like it but my back has started to hurt. I start out on my stomach but flip over through the night. She tosses and turns throughout the night. We both sleep hot. I tend to like firmer beds and she generally likes softer, but she likes the current mattress which is definitely on the firm side. We're in a rural area and both of us getting to a mattress store to try stuff isn't going to be super easy but I'm in KC daily for work and there's a mattress firm near where I work. I don't necessarily want to spend $3k+ on a mattress but it seems like one of the Purple hybrids(most likely the 3?) are top tier options and this thread seems to love them. I'm gonna go try some stuff out at some point, is there anything comparable to the purple that's mostly online?

e: I'm interested in some hybrids like what I have now. The Bear Elite Hybrid, Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, and Winkbed all look like decent options too.

You should PM me which store is closest to you, because I know a lot of people in the KC market; if you tell me which side of State Line you're on, I can probably guess your town within three tries. :v:

I'm not super familiar with the mattress you had, but one of my colleagues worked at Brooklyn Bedding about that time, so I can dig into it a bit more. Likely the closest ones to what you had are going to be one of the Sleepy's Hybrids (either Firm or Medium, I'd assume). A Sealy Norman or Ashurst would be vaguely similar as well. Also, keep in mind that the Purple products are vastly different than what you have now. Not that it's any worse, but they are starkly different from any foam-and-coil hybrid. There is basically nothing like Purple out there, as Purple purchased Intellibed at the end of September. My guts tell me that Sealy is going to start playing with that style of product within the next year or two, assuming they can get permission to use that gel technology.

With regard to cooling, you'll benefit most from considering everything you're using (i.e., sheets, protector, pillows) in addition to the mattress. Honestly, a temperature-neutral mattress with some cooling accessories is surprisingly effective for most folks.

It is also worth trying to figure out which sensations you and your partner are interpreting as "firm." Over the years, I've considered three different attributes as possible candidates as to what folks think of as firm: buoyancy (how much am I on top), support (how well it holds me up), and hardness (self-explanatory). The only one of those that necessitates an actual firm mattress is the last one, as you can find something that is pressure relieving and supportive and that you stay mostly on top of, but is still considered soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Synastren posted:

You should PM me which store is closest to you, because I know a lot of people in the KC market; if you tell me which side of State Line you're on, I can probably guess your town within three tries. :v:

I'm not super familiar with the mattress you had, but one of my colleagues worked at Brooklyn Bedding about that time, so I can dig into it a bit more. Likely the closest ones to what you had are going to be one of the Sleepy's Hybrids (either Firm or Medium, I'd assume). A Sealy Norman or Ashurst would be vaguely similar as well. Also, keep in mind that the Purple products are vastly different than what you have now. Not that it's any worse, but they are starkly different from any foam-and-coil hybrid. There is basically nothing like Purple out there, as Purple purchased Intellibed at the end of September. My guts tell me that Sealy is going to start playing with that style of product within the next year or two, assuming they can get permission to use that gel technology.

With regard to cooling, you'll benefit most from considering everything you're using (i.e., sheets, protector, pillows) in addition to the mattress. Honestly, a temperature-neutral mattress with some cooling accessories is surprisingly effective for most folks.

It is also worth trying to figure out which sensations you and your partner are interpreting as "firm." Over the years, I've considered three different attributes as possible candidates as to what folks think of as firm: buoyancy (how much am I on top), support (how well it holds me up), and hardness (self-explanatory). The only one of those that necessitates an actual firm mattress is the last one, as you can find something that is pressure relieving and supportive and that you stay mostly on top of, but is still considered soft.

I'd honestly probably just buy the Brooklyn Bedding Signature right now if my back hadn't been hurting as of late. It's the "updated" version of the Best Mattress Ever. I've liked the mattress but something seems off since I moved as I never had any issues with it before. Everything seems fine with the bed and platform it has been on so I don't know if the mattress itself got damaged during the move or something? As far as sleeping hot goes, I've got linen sheets that I've loved that seem to do a lot of work. Firmness for me definitely relates to overall hardness. I feel like something with more support is getting important the older I get as my body falls apart day to day.

All I know is that there are too many options with too many claims. One place says a mattress is super firm and cools well, another says it's too soft and hot, and then customer reviews will be all over the place too. There's a possibility I grab something from Costco and see what happens. The Leesa Legend looks interesting. The Costco one is listed at medium firm while all the review sites show it as a fairly soft mattress. I've somewhat eliminated the Purple because with buying a new frame and sheets and comforter and all that the price is up there without getting a $3k+ mattress.