Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience with Zinus mattresses? Top rated on Amazon with queens coming in at $399 CDN. I'm moving to Los Angeles for work for the next 13-ish months but maintaining our primary residence in Canada, so I don't want to spend a fortune on something I'm going to get rid of a year from now. We currently have a Casper and we like it, but I can sleep on pretty much anything and my wife prefers a firmer mattress. The main thing I'm concerned about is the heat we're going to experience in LA in the summers, especially reading that foam mattresses tend to retain heat.

That being said, I'm only 145 lbs., my wife is 105 lbs., and goddamn you yanks need to stop with the unlimited breadsticks and soda refills at the Olive Garden or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

I didn't think to check SA while doing my research, but I just ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Signature (full, medium) for $670-ish with their memorial day coupon. I spent about two weeks deciding between the Tuft and Needle and 100 others (including a local factory that I'm going to feel guilty about not buying from) before saying gently caress it and going with the Brooklyn. It seemed like the best value after I decided I didn't want something that was just straight foam. I feel like I know less about mattresses now than when I started researching them, though. If anyone is interested I can report back once it arrives and I've slept on it a bit.

On a related subject, are the Zinus SmartBase frames/platform beds any good? I'm looking at the 18" one, but I'm thinking I might be better off taking a drive to Ikea and picking up a cheap bed there

I just set up a Zinus frame but have not slept on it yet. Was easybto set up, just unfold and two bolts. Probably fine for someone our sizes (skinny 5'7" and 5') but I don't know if it would work for a gigantor without a boxspring.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

let me know if it breaks tonight

Won't be trying it and the Zinus green tea 12" mattress until Sunday when I get back to the new apartment.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

RFX posted:

I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a Casper mattress. However, the whole foundation/box spring thing is confusing me. Can I use the box spring I have from my old mattress with the Casper? Guys in the store seemed to say no but I don't trust them. Everything I've read online has been even more confusing.

We've had a Casper for a couple and we are using the 15 year old box spring from our old mattress and have had no issues.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
i'm the guy with 15 mattresses stacked up or leaning against the walls all over his house

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Has anyone used one of the Zinus 18" high bed frames? I live in a tiny-rear end apartment, and the extra storage space is really tempting, but the price being so cheap makes me paranoid.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/bed-frames-and-foundations/products/casey-steel-premium-18-smartbase-frame

Yes, they're fine. My wife and I had one for 6 months with a foam mattress and no wobble or stability issues. But we're a combined 250 lbs, so ymmv if you're a gigantor

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anyone have recommendations on firm mattress toppers? Mrs. Dillbag is finding our Casper way too soft and isn't sleeping well. I was looking at the Tempur Topper but jfc $550 CAD for a queen? I could get a new mattress for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Insurrectum posted:

How do people get king-sized beds up stairwells? The perpendicular distance between our stairs and our stairwell ceiling is only 62 inches. We fit a queen through, but my wife is dead set on getting a non-split king. Is our only option a bed-in-a-box that we expand in our room?

Pivot

PIVOT