Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've been wanting to upgrade to a king for a long time, and I'm thinking of biting the bullet. I'm a super light sleeper, so I need a bed that isolates motion well. However, I had a foam mattress topper for awhile and hated it because it was too hot. Granted, it was probably an old, cheap topper, but it still drove me crazy.

What are the good options here? From what I tell, gel-foam mattresses are kind of a gimmick, and don't really cool better than anything else. Latex mattresses are intriguing, but it's hard to find good information on them, and the ones on Amazon all have pretty low ratings. Pocket coil mattresses are pretty much the same story. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

This is a little pricey, but looks like a promising compromise: Eco Terra Latex Mattress

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

The more I read about the Purple mattresses, the more they sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Supposedly motion transfer is pretty minimal, they're cool temperature wise, they're good for sleeping in any position, and they're bouncy enough for sex. Has anybody had any negative experiences with Purple mattresses?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Please do! I'm reading too many good things about them, which makes me highly skeptical.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Synastren posted:

My biggest problem with Purple is that their marketing is so brilliant that it is difficult to get any real, substantive information. Any of the traditional vendors we work with will supply us with intimate details regarding their beds' specs. Purple illustrates a nonsensical (but visually impressive) "egg test," for example. I'm actually trying to rationalize purchasing one of their chair cushions so I can get a large enough bit of their material that I can use it. I might also put it to some tests of my own devising, that I can do to floor models or something.
What would you consider an actual objective measurement of anything about beds? It seems like outside of the type of bed it is, there are very few things to actually compare them on. Everybody talks about amazing construction and space-age polymers and spring counts and all that bullshit, and then maybe there are some arbitrary ratings of firmness, but none of that seems particularly useful.

This leaves consumers with the option of either A) going to a physical mattress store or B) trusting online reviews. Both of these options suck.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Synastren posted:

I'll be the first to admit my bias, given my job. However, if we're talking innersprings, knowing coil gauge, coil density, and number of turns in a coil should tell you everything you need to know about how firm or accommodating the metal layer of the bed is. Beautyrest has more turns in their coils than Serta, for example, so they tend to feel firmer in general. BR then has different coil gauges based on whether we're talking firm or plush beds. Finally, they have different coil counts based on the quality level of the bed in question (Recharge has fewer coils than World Class, for example).
Yeah, this is actually interesting. I agree that all of that information should tell you pretty much every thing there is to know about the spring. I guess I never really see all of those details provided, and I've never really seen a good website that summarizes how to interpret those anyway. You usually just see one or two numbers, along with some repeated assurances that whatever the manufacturer's special thing is, in fact, the most important thing about a mattress.

quote:

Foams are much more complicated, as the manufacturers have many more proprietary materials than anywhere else. The go-to for foams would be density and cellular structure. The higher density, the firmer the foam. The larger the cellular structure, the more airflow and thus the more temperature-neutral the foam will be. High density + large structure foams are the most expensive because they are the most difficult to make. And then consider all of the add-ins (diamonds, metals, phase change material), and foam gets rapidly out of control.
Yeah, I'd love to see someone quantify this kind of stuff. It seems like you could come up with some pretty objective measurements of heat dissipation and like, how far you sink into a bed and whatnot, but I've only found really unreliable information in this vein.

Everybody keeps raving about Purple though, and it seems to check all of my boxes, so I'll probably just end up getting that :P.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I've had a "New" Purple King.3 for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. I went with the thicker version of the new one because I'm a little heavy and sleep on my side sometimes, and it was suggested that it would be better for that. Honestly, it's hard to gauge what the difference between the "old" and "new" is from reviews, but I figured I'd go a little thicker to be on the safe side. Plus, I liked that it added extra height, as I like my bed to be a good bit off the floor.

The mattress checks all the boxes for me: it's supportive, it's cool, it's bouncy, and it doesn't transfer much motion. The feel is hard to describe, and certainly different from any other mattress I've slept on. It's firm, but it doesn't feel like you're sleeping on a solid slab like most "firm" mattresses. I used to think I preferred pillowtop mattresses, but really, I like this much more. Also, it's very bouncy and is the best bed I've had for sex.

I'm a super light sleeper, and this is certainly the best I've seen for motion transfer. No, it's not perfect, and I'm such a light sleeper that I can still be woken up when someone else in the bed moves, but it's a lot less disturbing than other beds. I bought some really nice cotton sheets, and the official Purple sheets. I prefer the Purple ones; they just have a very unique feel that I like. I ended up buying a second set of Purple sheets.

It was expensive AF though. I think if you're a less picky sleeper (you don't mind being warm, don't get woken up as easily, or don't care if the bed is bouncy), you should probably go with a cheaper option, or maybe one of the lower end Purples. I'm really bothered by that stuff, so I was willing to burn the money.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Synastren posted:

As far as I know, the new Purple mattresses are hybrids instead of being their polymer on foam. And yeah, they're pretty pricey!

I've not had the pleasure of trying any Purple, but I've had the Purple 2 described to me succinctly as "a goddamn trampoline," and was wondering if that was a relatively apt description. The polymer has to feel kinda like super dense latex, right? And to put rubber on springs has to be extraordinarily bouncy?
Yeah, it's definitely springy. It dampens quick though, so it doesn't like, wobble up and down like a trampoline. Basically, it's just as bouncy as you'd want it to be.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

I got a couple of sets of the Amazon Basics jersey knit sheets for my Purple after reading that the Purple branded sheets fall apart after one wash and the good rayon sheets are over $100 and they've been working really well for me.
I have a couple sets of the Purple sheets and have been using them for 6 months without issue. Not sure if it's something about particular washing machines or detergents or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I'm surprised at folks who think the Purple is hot. I'm pretty picky about keeping my bed cool, and my Purple always feels cool to me. I'm using the Purple sheets as well.