Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, just got done reading through the thread and have no idea what mattress to buy.

I am currently on a queen Simmons Beauty Rest of some sort and it’s 12ish years old. It currently likes to roll people toward the center. Wife and I decided we would like to get a king since kids like to jump in bed with us, which leaves me curled up in a corner with no blankets. Wife is a side/sometimes back sleeper and I am a 99% side sleeper.

Current mattress has served me well, but I think we’re looking for something possibly a bit more firm. I’ve been dealing with lower back issues for the past 2 years and it’s about 75/25 on whether I get out of bed in the morning with pain that will barely let me bend over to tie my shoes. I have no idea if the bed is the source of the pain, but I’m guessing at 12 years old that it isn’t helping at all.

I bought this mattress from a brick and mortar store, and it was like buying a loving used car. I absolutely hated having to haggle over the price and wasting half my day. This has made me consider the beds in a box, such as Purple, Avocado, etc. Not having to deal with that poo poo is a massive upside for me, but then again, we can’t really test them before ordering, then being at the mercy of the small print on the 100-day trials.

I have a friend who loves his Avocado, but it seems all their marketing is super hippie and a good portion of the price is going to sourcing their cage free/organic/free range/vegan/whatever materials instead of the actual quality of the mattress itself. I don’t care if a whole nation had to die for the foam in my mattress to help my back pain.

It sounds like just about everyone in this thread loves their Purples, so they’re kind of the front runner for me so far. I’m not super crazy about the price of the Purple3 though. Is $700 for an extra inch of their space age stuff worth it? It seems a bit steep of a jump. I think my wife would prefer the Purple2, but I don’t know if it would be too firm for me. Could we get the 2, then swap it out with the 3 at the end of the trial period at no cost to us if we find it too firm? How big of a pain in the rear end do they make it?

My budget is undecided. If it’s something that’s magically going to get rid of my lovely, nagging back pain, then I have little issue with something in the mid-to-high $2k range, but that’s probably the max I’m willing to go. I have a couple of these pillows and I really like them, but would consider the Purple pillows and give these to my kids.

I looked at the original Purple and I like the price, but having a hybrid mattress would be nice. I’m just not sure if doubling that price will double our comfort. It looks like they're doing a 4th of July "sale" by having 10% off everything if you buy a mattress. Is this a legit sale, or one of those where they jack up the price 15% then "discount" it 10%?

Side note to the Mattress Firm guy: your posts rock and are super informative. Thank you for all of your posts in this thread.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Instead of constant edits, new post.

Just did the Purple online chat, and it seems that if we buy the Purple 2, decide it's too firm and want to exchange it for a 3, they deliver the 3, take the old 2 at the same time. No restocking/whatever fees. And they give us 30 days, or 100 - [how far we are into our original trial] days, whichever is longer, to evaluate the new mattress. That seems super easy.

Has anyone had to return/exchange a Purple? Curious how if it really is that easy/free. I don't recall any posts regarding it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks! Seems pretty risk-free.

Just called my local MattFirm and they have all Purple models in stock, so I’m going to check out the 2/3 with the wife later today.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stopped at the local Mattress Firm after work. The lady showed us a bunch of stuff, including all of the Purples. I basically concluded that I liked every bed I tried out except for the all-foam ones, including the original Purple. Those were too squishy, but no bounce/rebound in them.

Honestly I could have been happy with any of the hybrids she showed us. They’re all different, but not in a bad way, just different feels. I didn’t have one that I super preferred over the others.

I was surprised that out of all the new Purples, I definitely liked the 2 the best. The 3 was wayyyy too squishy and I didn’t even try the 4. The Purples definitely felt way different than any bed I’ve ever been on. There’s a lot of side-to-side give when you’re moving around on the mattress, but just enough sink to not have any pressure points when I am laying on my side. Wife and I didn’t notice any motion transfer when one of us were moving around or getting in/out if the bed.

The 2 was $1899 + $99 delivery. And for the 4th of July sale, a free adjustable stand, 2 foam pillows and a mattress protector. Any refunds or exchanges incur a 10% restocking fee.

All of the beds she showed us had the fancy adjustable stand with head/foot controls and massaging options on a wireless remote. When I asked what the free one was, she brought us over to one bed in the far corner that had a wired remote that could only adjust the head up/down, haha.

So yeah, the free stand was kind of a laughable “freebie.” I don’t really need new pillows, so the mattress protector would be the only extra I was interested in.

My wife definitely preferred the 2 over any of the other options and it was firm enough to lay my twin infants on.

If I order on the Purple website, it’s $1709 + $189 for the mattress stand + $109 for the mattress protector = $1977 delivered. Cheaper than in the store, plus there’s no restocking fees if I exchange or return it.

Best part of all, is when I got home, I had an email waiting from Purple with a “hey you left your cart full, here’s $50 off” coupon code. Hell yeah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

Products should be priced identically between the store and the Purple website; part of the terms of carrying their product is that we do exactly what Purple's sales are (this includes the return/exchange fees not applying to Purple products). I suspect your salesperson was ignorant of that, given that it's a product that plays entirely by its own rules relative to virtually everything else in the store. Delivery is free unless you want it set up and/or things hauled away from your property.

I'd suggest calling the store tomorrow and asking them about what I said, and mention that you got a $50 coupon from Purple. Matt Firm should match the price you were getting online, and the protector should still be free. If they bumble their way through some silly explanation, PM me and I'll clear things up.

Alternatively, if you purchased already, congrats on the purchase!

The price difference on the mattress was the 10% off they have on their website currently. Are you saying that in store should be able to match that?

We definitely need our old mattress hauled away, which Purple would do for free. Would that be worth mentioning?

Also, I didn’t super like the 10% restocking fee in case we wanted to exchange or return it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, that’s all great info to know. So at the end of the day, I should be able to get whatever sales, promos, delivery, etc that are on the website in the store?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oops, forgot I need new sheets after I ordered my Purple2. Any recommendations?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went the path of least resistance and snagged a couple sets of Purple sheets, then said gently caress it and got one of their pillows as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Purple2 comes tomorrow and my lower back is excited.

I got the Purple pillow ahead of time last week, and this is one weird-rear end pillow. It's only 2-3" high, which I'm not used to, and it feels like I'm laying on a bag of cooked pasta. It's super weird and I'm still trying to decide if I like it. It's pretty comfy, but just has an odd feel to it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my Purple2 today. The stand is a lot shorter than I thought it would be. It’s pretty hilarious how jetpacked the mattress bag is. It couldn’t have been more than an inch or 2 thick, and when they cut it open, it expanded instantly.

The 5 mins I laid on it felt great. Glad to finally have a king. Now I can lay in bed with my wife and twins without being shoved into a corner. Which will totally still happen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After a month or so, I love my Purple2 and Purple sheets. I wake up with a lot less back pain than I used to. It comes back instantly when I pick my twins up, but at least I have 45 seconds without back pain!

The Purple pillow is still weird as hell. It’s like sleeping on a 10lb Eggo waffle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't have any issue with my Puple2 running hot. It may be different for the original Purple since it's just a block of foam I think.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is that super new? When I bought my bed a month or two ago, I swear it didn’t exist.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

I have the Purple 2, 3, and 4 on my floor in my store now, and so have a little more insight into the product.

I will almost refuse to sell Purple 2s to side sleepers; it's a huge return risk, because it doesn't relieve as much pressure as folks may think. You'd be better served going either for the Original or the 3 probably 99% of the time.

I'm a side sleeper and bought a 2 and it feels great. The 3 was comically, insanely way too squishy for my taste. I didn't even bother trying the 4.

Not trying to be a dick and blow up your post, just wanted to provide my single anecdote.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The purple 3 is hilariously way too squishy for me (I got the 2). Have you actually laid in a purple 4? If not, I really wouldn’t recommend it unless you really really really like a mattress that feels like an abyss.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I’m getting a new bed for one of my kids. My wife and I have a Purple 2 that we love. Daughter says she likes the feel of our Purple, so definitely something not super squishy. We’re definitely not looking to spend anything in the ballpark of a Purple mattress. Are there any similar cheap options that may be similar style? Like, $2-300? Or will it be garbage?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

There isn't anything that does what Purple does in a lower price bracket. I don't know what size you're looking for, but there are some Kids Purple mattresses which may fit your need. You may find some beds-in-a-box that will get somewhat similar, but you'll be struggling for anything you'd like under $300. Double that, and you have several options, though!

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting Purple quality in a $2-300 mattress. Just looking for some decent BIAB option that's similar-ish. Hybrid spring/foam, or all foam in a full size.

I feel like the Tuft & Needle stuff skyrocketed in price over when I was looking a few years ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on this Novaform? Currently $70 off on Costco for $409 for a full:

https://www.costco.com/novaform-14%22-comfort-grande-plus-gel-memory-foam-mattress-medium.product.100667300.html

I’ve resigned myself to looking above my original $2-300 range since it seems like there’s a lot of junk out there. Just for a kid, so doesn’t need to fix my old back or anything.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks!