Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
It's all up to personal preference. I have a memory foam mattress, but if I could do it all over again would buy a latex one. My parents just switched from memory foam to a traditional spring mattress.
Even within the same material you can find beds ranging from hard to soft - that goes for memory foam / latex / and springs.

Memory foam retains heat so it sleeps kind of hot compared to the others. Latex "conforms" but doesn't retain the divot if you roll around. The blends are just what they sound like - obviously they are trying for the best of both worlds, but you could just as easily find them as the worst of both worlds.

Personally I'm not a fan of shredded memory foam or latex but they are probably the overall cheapest. Both memory foam and latex are going to feel weird having sex in if you've only ever had a spring mattress - it's more work because you don't get the spring back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002

Portland Sucks posted:

Anyone have any experience with sleep number beds? My wife would opt to sleep on the floor if it were just her and I'm more of a side sleeper/pillow top mattress kind of person.

Also not a fan. It's a glorified air mattress.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002

DoggPickle posted:

I am still totally in love with my extremely hard, cheap, foam mattress and then very expensive squishy topper. But I sleep on my side to go to sleep and then on my stomach to sleep, which I have learned is pretty weird for a girl?

I was actually curious about pillows? I have never bought a pillow that was more than 10bux or something that just got handed down for generations, (with a new pillowcase).

Is a better pillow worth anything at all if you sleep on your side for a bit and then inevitably end up face down, with your neck cranked 90 degrees anyways? I don't like those huge unsquishable pillows because obviously that would hurt my neck, but it's almost as bad to have really tiny thin flat ones. Is there a more comfortable medium squish pillow?

One that doesn't ever get hot would be great though, because I always get hot when I sleep.

I have never understood how anyone sleeps on their back at all... I might as well be trying to sleep standing up; it's not restful to me, to the point that it boggles my mind how anyone enjoys it. (like I GET IT, everyone is different, but it's so incredibly un-sleepy to me, its still hard to GET-GET)

I sleep on my stomach or side. I say yes, a pillow makes a huge difference.

Again, I'm partial to latex - it feels similar to memory foam but doesn't retain the heat. I imagine the purple pillow also fits the bill based on the review a couple posts up. I've gone through a half dozen pillows and this is my current favorite : https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Talalay-Latex-Zoned-Pillow/dp/B0049DZ090/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1492601297&sr=8-12&keywords=latex+pillow - (It's a Malouf Z if you are against clicking links) I think I found it slightly cheaper on another site, but it's still not exactly cheap. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's still in good shape.