Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The First and Final King of Bloodless Bullfighting

A pretty short piece about a man who saw his first bullfight while in seminary in Mexico and went on to become one of the handful of American matadors. In his later years he promoted "bloodless" bullfights in which the matador plucks a rose from the bull's back. It's not exactly a happy article, as people close to him are killed by bulls.

This was lovely. I've seen traditional bullfighting and it's indeed thrilling, and the matador comes out at the end after the bull is tired and has been charging at horses and been gouged with spears for a couple rounds.

If the bloodless bullfight does it with a fresh bull that's not only more moral but really drat impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Inmate sends his illustrations of golf holes to Golf Digest, Golf Digest helps get his wrongful conviction overturned.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-saved-my-life-valentino-dixon

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/for-valentino-dixon-a-wrong-righted-murder-charge-vacated-by-court-after-serving-27-years-in-prison

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
How western travel influencers got tangled up in Pakistan's politics

quote:

White travel influencers, who often receive extraordinary privileges such as access to restricted areas and meetings with top officials, have been useful to a government trying to sell a new vision of the country – and the debate about their role has divided Pakistan. “The military wants to control the discourse,” I was told by Husain Haqqani, a former Pakistani ambassador to the US. “They want to shut down all dissenting voices.” To Haqqani, the influencers were part of the “discourse industry” that the government had promoted.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
A tale of Cairo's informal but surprisingly effective garbage collection system and the particular trials and tribulations of the author's garbage man: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/tales-trash

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

These are really worth a read.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We’ll Need More Than One Vaccine to Beat the Pandemic

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm not sure of this counts as I'm unsure where to share it. Would you guys consider "video essays" a cousin of the longform article?

I recommend Atrocity Guide on Youtube. There's even a few video essays related to SA guys (like our war journalist friend who learned surgery on YT and went to Syria to practice it in combat).

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If video essays do count, I thorougly recommend All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace, if you can track it down anymore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

simplefish posted:

If video essays do count, I thorougly recommend All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace, if you can track it down anymore.

How much of it is about Ayn Rand? I found it on Vimeo but the comments are giving me second thoughts

https://vimeo.com/groups/96331/videos/80799353

Snowy has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Nov 15, 2020

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm fine with video essays once in a while as long as they respect their topic.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've liked every Atrocity Guide video I've ever seen, and I really like Adam Curtis.

As longform articles go, I think most people following this thread expect reads. I wouldn't be at all opposed to a PYF thread about longform videos /channels that do solid research into interesting stories, though!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've liked every Atrocity Guide video I've ever seen, and I really like Adam Curtis.

As longform articles go, I think most people following this thread expect reads. I wouldn't be at all opposed to a PYF thread about longform videos /channels that do solid research into interesting stories, though!

Ya I’m definitely somebody who would only like to see reads but would accept 1 video per post if it also has a read! I could probably use learning in other mediums more in my life

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not going to watch videos but if you want to post them knock yourselves out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Horse Isle 3, War Crimes and LGBTQ+ Visibility – A case study in how NOT to approach Community Management

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Snowy posted:

How much of it is about Ayn Rand? I found it on Vimeo but the comments are giving me second thoughts

https://vimeo.com/groups/96331/videos/80799353

Like one episode looks at her role in chuddy tech bro culture, it's not held up as some shining beacon of what to be

But comments gonna comment, I guess

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I don't know if I found it here or not, but here's an article by Charles Mann about basically Tisquantum (Squanto)'s political reality and an overall great portrait of the unfortunate situation Native Americans found themselves in during the colonial era: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/native-intelligence-109314481/

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Sorry if it’s been mentioned but thread favorite Skip Hollansworth has a new piece out which is also an episodic podcast with Texas Monthly: Tom’s Body.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Logic of Pandemic Restrictions Is Falling Apart

quote:

With people out of work and small businesses set up to fail en masse, America has landed on its current contradiction: Tell people it’s safe to return to bars and restaurants and spend money inside while following some often useless restrictions, but also tell them it’s unsafe to gather in their home, where nothing is for sale.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Danger posted:

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but thread favorite Skip Hollansworth has a new piece out which is also an episodic podcast with Texas Monthly: Tom’s Body.

I had planned to do things today. I'm now on Part 7 of Tom's Body. Thanks a lot.

Seriously.

Thanks. A lot. Hollandsworth is one of my favorite writers.

Edit: I think it was suicide. I think Tom gave his phone and belongings to a friend or his brother for safekeeping, possibly not giving them a reason at all. They held on to the phone for sure, perhaps the backpack, too. Possibly even by coincidence they laid the phone by Lake Marvin Road to be found when they heard of the search. Tom himself might have laid the backpack down. The article never said if it was obvious it had been under the tree or looked freshly left.

He might have thought the world was collapsing on him. His grandfather killed himself near the same location, which I think is big. He searched suicide prevention numbers the night of his death. Most of the investigating agencies were absolute crap, which has let this fester even longer.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Nov 25, 2020

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had planned to do things today. I'm now on Part 7 of Tom's Body. Thanks a lot.

Seriously.

Thanks. A lot. Hollandsworth is one of my favorite writers.

Edit: I think it was suicide. I think Tom gave his phone and belongings to a friend or his brother for safekeeping, possibly not giving them a reason at all. They held on to the phone for sure, perhaps the backpack, too. Possibly even by coincidence they laid the phone by Lake Marvin Road to be found when they heard of the search. Tom himself might have laid the backpack down. The article never said if it was obvious it had been under the tree or looked freshly left.

He might have thought the world was collapsing on him. His grandfather killed himself near the same location, which I think is big. He searched suicide prevention numbers the night of his death. Most of the investigating agencies were absolute crap, which has let this fester even longer.

I agree with all of this. Plus, that Klein guy comes off as a real self-aggrandizing rear end. I feel sorry for the kid's poor family, wasting their money on him.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I agree it seems the most likely answer, even if the confounding details may never be resolved. There is a grand jury convening early next year however which does suggest the state found new evidence. Skip said there will likely be another episode afterwards.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It seems very likely that there was no Gatwick drone, unless you count all the drones that were set up to find it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Empire of fantasy

J R R Tolkien and C S Lewis turned Oxford into a vision of what they believed English literature studies should be: moral medieval fantasy, and decidedly not modern or concerned with racism. They elevated Beowulf and Sir Gawain while writing their own books, and inspired a generation of Oxford-educated writers.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It seems very likely that there was no Gatwick drone, unless you count all the drones that were set up to find it.

Mass hysteria is a very interesting phenomena.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Fans of Skip Hollandsworth: Did you know he wrote a whole-rear end book on Austin's infamous Midnight Assassin murders of 1885? Like most of his true-crime work, it's brilliant and incredibly frustrating, because there's not a bit of closure or resolution to be had.

(read it anyway)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

Fans of Skip Hollandsworth: Did you know he wrote a whole-rear end book on Austin's infamous Midnight Assassin murders of 1885? Like most of his true-crime work, it's brilliant and incredibly frustrating, because there's not a bit of closure or resolution to be had.

(read it anyway)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Thank you! I did not know.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I mentioned this book in the unnerving thread like three years ago, it’s fantastic. I stumbled across it in the Texana section of a small Library I was volunteering at, had been reading his Texas Monthly stuff for years and never knew he had a book out. No one responded but I think that’s because it was in the middle of a Jack the Ripper derail (I only mentioned it there because of a tiny bit in the epilogue where not only had someone across the pond actually heard about the murders but Scotland Yard actually sent a detective over to Austin after the ripper murders to investigate if it may have been the same dude. Doesn’t seem all that likely, it’s just interesting to think about. Austin only had a population of around 3,000 back then. Also, after the Midnight Assassin [or Servant Girl Annhilator, take your pick on which sounds cooler : )] stopped suddenly the Ripper killings started about six months later so who knows). I haven’t read From Hell in years, I dunno if that’s brought up as one of the theories.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Oh yeah it's best of season gang: https://longreads.com/2020/12/03/the-25-most-popular-longreads-exclusives-of-2020/

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The Bloomberg journalist who originally covered Martin Shkreli fell in love with him, losing her job and her marriage in the process. He was most likely just using her to try to positively influence his public image and reduce his sentence. https://www.elle.com/life-love/a35021224/martin-shkreli-christie-smythe-pharma-bro-journalist/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Male Tears posted:

The Bloomberg journalist who originally covered Martin Shkreli fell in love with him, losing her job and her marriage in the process. He was most likely just using her to try to positively influence his public image and reduce his sentence. https://www.elle.com/life-love/a35021224/martin-shkreli-christie-smythe-pharma-bro-journalist/

Honestly, how common this is never ceases to amaze me.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Male Tears posted:

This is incredible

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The followup features more denial, with the first hints of her admitting having her own agency (-ish)

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a35036400/christie-smythe-stephanie-clifford-martin-shkreli-story/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Skeletons at the Lake: Genetic analysis of human remains found in the Himalayas has raised baffling questions about who these people were and why they were there.

quote:

It was the Roopkund B group, a mixture of men and women unrelated to one another, that confounded everyone. Their genomes did not look Indian or even Asian. “Of all places in the world, India is one of the places most heavily sampled in terms of human diversity,” Reich told me. “We have sampled three hundred different groups in India, and there’s nothing there even close to Roopkund B.”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/_sashayed/status/1351947953972379648

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]

The writer’s premise seems pretty convincing to me:

Qanon is a Russian psy-op aimed at disrupting US democracy.

Really interesting article.

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
https://www.vulture.com/article/an-oral-history-of-disney-the-emperors-new-groove.html

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Hard Lessons of Modeling the Coronavirus Pandemic

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Movie buffs may be interested in this article about what gives film its "feel" and how digital video can be tweaked to look indistinguishable from it.

The cinematographer of Knives Out wants to end the film-vs.-digital debate

I know this post is from a year ago but I have a bone to pick with the core argument made in the article. It's my industry so hopefully the perspective is worth the derail.

Firstly I figure the article's editor or writer would've wanted to angle the story as "a way out of the film-vs-digital debate" as opposed to "here's a guy who says he can replicate film using digital post techniques". I'm not sure from the article whether this guy actually wants to "end" the debate - if it even counts as a debate. That's all to say I don't think this dude is dumb or bad for pursuing what he's pursuing technically. He's right that cinematographers should have a familiarity with the technical aspects of their capture format just as they know about light temps and dynamic range and shutter angle and choose accordingly.

But even if that concept is tacked on to make some tech tinkering sound more dramatic I think it's an interesting thing I've seen before in a lot of journalism and in a lot of people's personal perspectives on movies, or indeed any artform that involves technology as we know it. You present two sides of a "debate" as opposed - digital vs. _____ (vinyl or magnetic tape for audio, film for motion pictures, print and paper for writing, and so on) and conclude that improvements to the technical fidelity of the digital counterpart will make the analog irrelevant, or not worth pursuing.

But we're talking about artforms here. Art. These articles, and lots of people's brains, seem to take for granted that every goddam aspect of existence is and should be subject to technological advancement. But you can probably name a few million downsides to that kind of concept happening in the world right now. Facebook poisoning your parents' brains. The entire Silicon Valley hive mind making GBS threads out apps designed solely to remove workers' rights and ability to make a living by end-running around regulations. Surveillance and the right to privacy.

I have to imagine there's somebody out there trying to credibly make the argument that 3D modeling and 3D printing should "replace", say, woodcarving or stone sculpture because you can now simulate the trademarks of the human hand on the texture and shape to the point where it's indistinguishable from real stone or real handmade work. And that therefore, handmade work, one-of-a-kind sculpture or carving is obsolete as if it's a mechanical-wheel iPod, as opposed to just a different thing.

It's art. If a photochemical process is less stable, you have to ask if the work is intended to be perfectly stable. As a creator you can respond to the instabilities of tape, film, real oil paints with no undo, natural lighting conditions, or whatever, with your own human ingenuity and your own ability to adapt and be inspired by those things. To use a hackneyed term, those "drawbacks" of older techniques are features, not bugs. They can improve the creative process. They are not drawbacks or reasons to discard the techniques.

I would argue that limitless ability of creation does not create better work, most of the time, with most creators. To use another film example, actors themselves are not as perfectly controllable as CG animation you can tweak forever to represent the exact expression you had in your head as a creator, right? Well, most directors don't have that kind of mind. They had the words of the dialogue and the emotion of the story and trusted the actors to combine those into a convincing piece of human behavior, and when they were convinced, they went "great". Mistakes and limitations are what make art. An actor does something interesting you didn't expect them to do. I had one throw out a line she thought was funny, between takes, and I was like "gently caress, that's better than the script I agonized over for a year" and used it. If I'd had ultimate control over every variable I'd have lost that opportunity.

Incidentally, I was shooting on film on a limited budget and could only afford to get one take of that alternate line. Another advantage film gives you is the pressure not to shoot a million billion takes until your perfectionist mind is jelly. You have to be ready to commit to decisions.

It's nice to have the freedom of limitless expression when your idea requires it, but for most people making art for most human purposes that is a luxury with its own drawbacks. You are choosing the tool that will make the best result, not the most precisely accurate result to what you visualized beforehand. The translation between what you had in your head and the actual execution is where the goodness of a piece of art lies! Perfectly executed ideas done with limitless freedom often suck!! Pure vision of someone else's imagination can be worse than if they had to deal with some poo poo in execution!

Anybody who's done indie/student/short films has met the directors who can't embrace the fact that other people are making creative decisions on their project - how they're gonna act, where they're gonna aim a light or camera, and so on. The control freak, the guy who thinks he's an auteur. He's not, he is mistaking being the creative voice behind a process with a billion potential moving parts for being the god of creation, and his movies usually suck rear end. Embrace the imperfection that is part of being human and you'll be a lot better at making art for human consumption.

That's why technological perfection is not the goal of art. We still draw even though cameras are better, right?

OK sorry if this is the wrong place for this but hey now you get a long-read post to go with your long read articles.

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Feb 1, 2021

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

OK sorry if this is the wrong place for this but hey now you get a long-read post to go with your long read articles.

I don’t know poo poo about art, much less creating it, but that was very fascinating to read so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ll just add that, working in theatre in college, the professor who taught scene design told us to “feature” our mistakes and sure enough sometimes the best parts/most memorable parts of the set came about from a mistake that had to be adjusted to and built around.

IMO one of the best parts of the creative process are those moments of discovery that you can’t plan for