Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Fighter won a Pulitzer this week, about a young marine vet suffering from PTSD and struggling to return to civilian life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sucrose posted:

My Family's Slave

An upper-class Filipino family trafficks a domestic worker into the United States, where she works for them without pay for the next 35 years.

It's clear that the (now deceased) author, a son in the family, carried a great deal of guilt, but a lot of readers are (rightfully in my opinion) excoriating him for, as an adult, standing by and doing nothing for years while his mother continued to exploit her. He and his siblings did take advantage of an amnestry law for illegal aliens to eventually get her US citizenship (against their mother's objections) but by that time she was already in her seventies. And they did it in such a way as to carefully avoid revealing that she was a trafficking victim who had worked for their parents without pay for the entire period she had been in the United States

I just read that last night, it was a good read if rather troubling.