Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

fits posted:

‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’, an oral history of the confusion and chaos in the hours after 9/11 and where Bush's staff took him to the safest place they could think of: in Air Force One, with American airspace completely shut down

On a related note, here's a long piece that details the 11th of September, 2001 minute by minute: http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/terrorism/september_11/. Possibly :nws: - the page itself is safe, but it is from rotten.com, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I really enjoy longform articles about gamedev drama. Here's a few:

Knee Deep in a Dream - the full story of the legendary shitshow that was John Romero's Daikatana.

Why Did L.A. Noire Take Seven Years to Make? - because the studio head was an insane micromanager.

Civil War: The Public Death of Mad Minute Games - about the failure of a niche developer.

What Went Wrong With Silicon Knights' X-Men: Destiny? - apparently SK was run by complete incompetents, and the only reason Eternal Darkness was as good as it was is because Nintendo was holding their leash.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I just read something fascinating about the absolute chaos that was the Third Reich's military organization. It's a game developer diary, not a longform article as such, but it contains loads of information I never knew before.