Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Pros -

Aries vs Neville is being built really well.

Steph/Mick/HHH/Seth would have been really good if it was 12 minutes of tv time instead of 40

Cons -

the amount of my life I've spent on this horrible industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What was the dark match tonight? Glad I dodged a bullet tonight. Was ready to be mad if Balor came back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AsInHowe posted:

End of July at the Joe

Is it gonna be SmackDown Live or a PPV?

Also, hi, AsInHowe! Are you gonna be working at the Pizza Pizza Dome once the Joe goes away?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying there wasn't reason to doubt, but tonight seemed deliberate, and other than some cuts (which they always do; almost any YT clip for WWE is 4-5 minutes max) they didn't really edit anything significant.

You know what would've been deliberate? Spearing HBK out of his admittedly fashionable hat! :colbert:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying there wasn't reason to doubt, but tonight seemed deliberate, and other than some cuts (which they always do; almost any YT clip for WWE is 4-5 minutes max) they didn't really edit anything significant.

Since he's facing Taker the WWE's actually being smart and booking him like a tweener because there's literally no way he's going to be outright cheered.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm normally skeptical but NO one was cheering Roman by the end and he straight up disrespected two universally beloved legends for almost no reason in one promo. I wouldn't toxx on it or anything but I'm growing more confident by the week that it may, in fact, be Happening.

I still don't buy it, at the very least Roman's in phase 2 of Vince's 3 part destined to fail plan to get him over as face, which is probably going to last at least until the fall.

Phase 1: Babyface push.
Result: Sufferin' Succotash and getting a Make-A-Wish kid booed

Phase 2: Badass anti-hero who seldomly talks
Result: Comes off more like an rear end in a top hat than anything else

Phase 3: Reuniting the Shield nostalgia act
Potential Results:

a. Works at the time and Roman's over again thanks to Seth and Dean, crowd immediately turns on him once more when they disband again.
b. Seth & Dean get cheered for their parts, Roman's booed as soon as he's tagged in.
c. The crowd completely sees through what WWE's doing and turns on all 3 of them.

The only question is after Phase 3 ends does Vince finally turn him or does he just rotate back to Phase 1 and run through the process again.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

What was the dark match tonight? Glad I dodged a bullet tonight. Was ready to be mad if Balor came back.

To answer the previous question, the next show in Detroit is Saturday July 29th - so this was the last televised show at the Joe, but one more house show left.

Dark match was a quick "street fight" style brawl with Reigns wanting revenge on Strowman for that sneak attack on the ramp. Strowman used steel chairs, Reigns fought back, they parted ways & that was it.

On my way out of the building Mick Foley was walking through all the people trying to catch his ride. You could hardly notice him - my friend was wondering what I was looking at but a few people were calling out to him.
This was as we stated it was too cold to stand around & wait outside.

Overall, cool surprises and great promo segments, but no good wrestling to speak of. Clearly nobody wants to get injured going into Mania.

My biggest disappointment was for all the focus they put on "Last Go at the Joe" including this t-shirt that sold out pretty quick, I was surprised we didn't get some sort of vehicle driven into the arena as a callback, like Austin with the Zamboni, Ambrose last year in the ambulance, or Austin getting run over in the parking lot in '99.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 14, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just caught up on Raw, while watching it the burning question on my mind was wouldn't it have made more sense for Jinder to beat Roman Reigns after the GONG so that HBK's promo about Roman being distracted at a time when he needed his wits about him actually made sense.

The ending segment was so terrible that I literally forgot the Roman one even happened and had to go back through the results to remind myself what it was.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk4DIzH4_3M

So glad that Big Dave is making rad movies and not getting jobbed out to Roman these days.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I still don't buy it, at the very least Roman's in phase 2 of Vince's 3 part destined to fail plan to get him over as face, which is probably going to last at least until the fall.

Phase 1: Babyface push.
Result: Sufferin' Succotash and getting a Make-A-Wish kid booed

Phase 2: Badass anti-hero who seldomly talks
Result: Comes off more like an rear end in a top hat than anything else

Phase 3: Reuniting the Shield nostalgia act
Potential Results:

a. Works at the time and Roman's over again thanks to Seth and Dean, crowd immediately turns on him once more when they disband again.
b. Seth & Dean get cheered for their parts, Roman's booed as soon as he's tagged in.
c. The crowd completely sees through what WWE's doing and turns on all 3 of them.

The only question is after Phase 3 ends does Vince finally turn him or does he just rotate back to Phase 1 and run through the process again.

Yeah the thing is, part of the reason for my earlier comment is that there's not a doubt in my mind that Vince himself doesn't see Roman's poo poo as being "disrespectful" and instead sees it as him being a cool loner badass. Everything is leading to Reigns pinning Undertaker as Cole proclaims, to switch things up from what I said last week, that love him or hate him you'll respect THE BIG DOG in what's now HIS YARD.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw if they wanna get Roman over as a heel or a tweener, stop having him say "with all due respect."

Just have him tell HBK to go gently caress himself cause he's a retired old shitter who couldn't get the job done.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Triple Haitch is building new talent for the future

*books Oldberg v Part Timer Lesnar as Wrestlemania main event*

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
i watched raw live with commercials. i love in the pacific northwest, so the results were already available.

i don't know why i keep doing this to myself

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He said they would do it with this segment. They literally did not.
what i'm saying is when wwe does a thing contrary to the thing they do don't be smug about folk predicting that they're gonna do the thing they've done consistently.

like okay they posted a clip where roman got shade thrown at him without sweetening it. great. but to act like the narrative they wanna present (as of this week apparently) hasn't been "love roman reigns unconditionally" is real shortsighted and revisionist. catch my vibe?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonz posted:

So glad that Big Dave is making rad movies and not getting jobbed out to Roman these days.

How big is Batista's dickturd?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Gonz posted:

that'll put a lot of butts in seats.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I loving love Dana and the massive face pop she got owns extremely much

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I really hope they do turn Roman heel only so people can see that he will be a boring rear end heel as well.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

I loving love Dana and the massive face pop she got owns extremely much
she got a face pop because charlotte is a good heel. she's basically alex riley and once she's separated from charlotte nobody is going to give a gently caress.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sugar Blaster posted:

what i'm saying is when wwe does a thing contrary to the thing they do don't be smug about folk predicting that they're gonna do the thing they've done consistently.

like okay they posted a clip where roman got shade thrown at him without sweetening it. great. but to act like the narrative they wanna present (as of this week apparently) hasn't been "love roman reigns unconditionally" is real shortsighted and revisionist. catch my vibe?

Especially when they did a Network show immediately after saying that people only boo Roman because they're hipsters

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Erebus posted:

Especially when they did a Network show immediately after saying that people only boo Roman because they're hipsters

Hahaha of course they did. It couldn't be because they're out of touch. It's the children who are wrong. Vince is principal skinner.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Sugar Blaster posted:

she got a face pop because charlotte is a good heel. she's basically alex riley and once she's separated from charlotte nobody is going to give a gently caress.
As long as she never becomes competent at anything, I will always give a gently caress about Dana Brooke.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

She's fond of the "I mean"s as a promo buffer.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

I mean I agree 100 % with you but I still love Dana and am happy for her. Also, what pressedbunny said

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

God loving drat it.

I humbly eat poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

magnum_valentino posted:

I remember a time firmly in the Divas era when every woman on the roster cut promos like that.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i watched raw live with commercials. i love in the pacific northwest, so the results were already available.

i don't know why i keep doing this to myself
You're missing out. It takes me like half an hour to watch Raw, and the only things I watch straight through are Tozawa matches.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope nobody watched that poo poo WWE Sportscenter thing that was advertised as having a second episode after Raw, since the first one was a vehicle for WWE Management to strawman and insult their own audience on a scale not seen since Dixie Carter Went To Washington.

As described in the writeup I kind of liked the Mick/Stephanie angle. It felt like they were almost trying to pay off all those months of Stephanie destroying Mick's credibility, and trying to raise Sami Zayn and Bayley's stock by making them the ones in Stephanie's crosshairs. Also I'm glad that Triple H finally remembered he's supposed to be the god drat heel in this feud, and Seth remembered he's supposed to be a loving face and came to rescue a beloved legend from a beating instead of threatening children or crying about no longer getting favoritism. Took them long enough.

Everything else except HBK and Braun's parts in the Roman segment sounded like hotter garbage than usual. When Roman destroys his career at Mania I may never stop laughing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roman Reigns being pelted with hot trash by countless fans at ringside after he beats Taker may be worth next month's $9.99 alone.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

It's like Steiner and "you know?"

Give her the chainmail, give her the Recliner, the Screwdriver, the theme, the push.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Who else is looking forward to Smackdown LIVE tonight? :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

St Evan Echoes posted:

I am because I'm going to be there live and it looks like Winter Storm Stella realized Ben Roethlisberger lives here because it completely avoided Pittsburgh last night.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

:yeah:

Didn't watch the end of Raw but lmao at the ending. Guess Seth is fine after all which is good I guess.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'm trying but the Shane-AJ thing makes me completely uninterested.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

I'm trying but the Shane-AJ thing makes me completely uninterested.

Oh no not 10 minutes out of 2 hours, the whole show is RUINED :qq:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Remember when there was that Survivor series that Roman won and all they had to do was a complete repeat of Deadly Games with Roman over Dean to give him nuclear heat as a heel? And consequently give nuclear heat to Dean as a face?

Remember when they didn't do that?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think the problem with that ending segment last night, was that HHH should have let Seth beat him up and then next week HHH should have stood tall

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

bradzilla posted:

Oh no not 10 minutes out of 2 hours, the whole show is RUINED :qq:

Tag Team Division: Wait... they get 10 whole minutes?

#GiveTagTeamsAChance

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the problem with that ending segment last night, was that HHH should have let Seth beat him up and then next week HHH should have stood tall

Just be grateful Stephanie didn't beat him up.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

friendo55 posted:

My biggest disappointment was for all the focus they put on "Last Go at the Joe" including this t-shirt that sold out pretty quick, I was surprised we didn't get some sort of vehicle driven into the arena as a callback, like Austin with the Zamboni, Ambrose last year in the ambulance, or Austin getting run over in the parking lot in '99.

Good God Austin with the Zamboni was almost 20 years ago....drat I feel old

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have an advice, and it's to feel regular instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So who's fired?

• Locked thread