Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Helsing posted:

The judge in Meads v Meads really summed it up nicely:

It's the legal equivalent of faith healing.

I love the comparison to alchemists, it seems particularly apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What is really distinctive about sovereign citizens is that unlike other hard-core anti-government conspiracy theorists they actually seem to believe that frontline police officers or judges and court officials are secretly aware of and indeed are obliged to honour the insane mumbo jumbo about joinder, gold frilled flags and admiralty law. You can find numerous videos on youtube where people get beaten, tasered or pepper sprayed by police because they genuinely believed that repeatedly screaming "I do not wish to create joinder with you!" during a road stop would prevent an American police officer form manhandling them.

Plenty of other libertarian and paleoconservative belief systems consider the government illegitimate or believe that modern laws are actually unconstitutional or otherwise contradictory. Only sovereign citizens seem stupid enough to actually risk their lives testing out whether the police will respect their rather fanciful interpretations of 18th century maritime codes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anybody have any good literature on domestic extremism not yet posted? I am working through the end of Them by Jon Ronson, which was published just before September 11th, when these people were still the most serious thing that most Americans worried about.

Them makes the following determinations, in so many words:

- Central to extremism is anti-semitism.

- Rather than brand themselves as openly anti-semitic, most groups have come up with elaborate code terminology, and focus their efforts on theories revolving around a New World Order and the Bilderberg Group. They then use this code terminology to sucker in new recruits, and before you know it, you're sitting in a shed preparing for war against the shadow government.

- I say most, because the Aryan Nations discard all ambiguity and are actually frothing-at-the-mouth ready to murder people at the drop of a hat. Then there was Ian Paisley, who was just overall a deeply unpleasant person to be around.

- The actual Bilderberg Group is so tired of crazies attempting to spy on its meetings that they use strong-arm tactics on anyone who pokes around asking questions, use security to intimidate people, have legitimate journalists arrested, and so on.

- Middle Eastern extremism (at least that Ronson encounters) is almost indistinguishable in its ideology from domestic extremists. NWO and Bilderberg talk abounds in their circles. And many white nationalists at the time considered those groups to be like-minded and possible allies in their future fantasy.

- As soon as any of these people get a whiff that they might receive press coverage, they set whatever ideology they profess aside and welcome coverage with open arms, even when it is obvious to them that Ronson is Jewish (Aryan Nations and Paisley are again the exceptions).

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I wonder if these people ever experience a "moment of realization" as the cuffs close around their wrists, or when the holding cell door slams ... or if they just double down. Ahh, hell. I think I know the answer :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LongSack posted:

I wonder if these people ever experience a "moment of realization" as the cuffs close around their wrists, or when the holding cell door slams ... or if they just double down. Ahh, hell. I think I know the answer :(

Unfortunately it actually worked for the Malheur occupation.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One real problem with sovcits is that they want to keep all the benefits of society but not have to pay for them. Notice how they want to pay no taxes but still want to use public roads or live in a safe country. Taxes kind of pay for those things.
They're a level of crazy beyond that though. I mean we have a whole political party dedicated to the idea that the only thing of value that the government produces is military and police, but it takes something more like solipsism to think that you can just opt out of the law applying to you at all.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah :chloe:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

They're a level of crazy beyond that though. I mean we have a whole political party dedicated to the idea that the only thing of value that the government produces is military and police, but it takes something more like solipsism to think that you can just opt out of the law applying to you at all.

Yeah and when all the red states burn down while the blue states limp along America will decay pretty hard and it will still be Obama's fault somehow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey, wanna get real mad? Read the Wikipedia page about the aftermath of the occupation.

quote:

Following the surrender of the last militants, the FBI labeled the entire refuge a crime scene and canvassed the buildings in search of explosives and any previously existing hazardous materials.[207] A collection of firearms and explosives were found inside the refuge.[208] Safes were found to have been broken into, with money, cameras, and computers stolen by the militants. They were also found to have badly damaged tribal artifacts.[209] The FBI's Art Crime Team conducted an archaeological field assessment to determine if the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act or the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 were violated; additional charges may result if so.[210]

During the occupation, the militants illegally dug a new road using a government-owned excavator, expanded a parking lot, dug trenches, destroyed part of a USFWS-owned fence, and removed security cameras.[106][211] Some of the refuge's pipes broke, after which the militants, officials said, defecated "everywhere."[209] Investigators found "significant amounts of human feces" at "two large trenches and an improvised road on or adjacent to grounds containing sensitive artifacts" of the Burns Paiute Tribe.[212] A USFWS spokesperson said that the damage risked "the destruction and desecration of culturally significant Native American sites" and called it "disgusting, ghoulish behavior."[106] The Burns Paiute Tribe condemned the damage;[213] tribal council member Jarvis Kennedy described it as if "someone went to Arlington National Cemetery and went to the bathroom on the graves and rode a bulldozer over them."[214] Two of the militants, Sean Larry Anderson and Jake Edward Ryan, were subsequently indicted for "depredation of government property," an offense that carries a potential ten-year jail sentence.[182][215] A group of 600 volunteers signed up to restore the refuge, after the Oregon Natural Desert Association sought assistance.[211] The FBI also found evidence that the militants used a boat launch area, about 1.5 miles (2 km) northeast of the refuge, for firearms training. At the boat launch area, investigators recovered about 1,685 spent shell casings.[216]

The refuge remained closed after the FBI left the site in late February, with the entrance road blocked off from public access by armed officers from the USFWS.[217] The refuge's manager described it as "one big mess" at the end of February. Although he and fifteen other employees at the refuge were able to return to their jobs at the end of February, they found that while there had not been much structural damage to the buildings, there had been a great deal of disruption to files, heavy equipment, and fittings, in addition to the problems caused by a lengthy break in the maintenance of the refuge's infrastructure.[218] Efforts to reduce the population of invasive carp in Malheur Lake are thought to have been set back by three years. While the buildings remain closed for repairs, which are expected to take until the summer,[219] the refuge's lands were reopened to the public in mid-March.[214]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The real injustice is that I toxxed that nothing would happen to the people involved and I was banned.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but I thought the Malheur verdict was simple jury nullification, unless you're saying that it was the SovCit poo poo that convinced them.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe? The government choose to bring conspiracy charges, which requires a proof of intent (IANAL). The jury found insufficient evidence of intent among the protestors. The verdict was a confluence of a poor prosecutoral strategy, some suggestive jury hijinks and culture war bullshit causing the jury to extend the benefit of the doubt to cultural peers rural Oregon is real loving white

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
On the one hand I think they are all idiots, but on the other hand I witnessed otherwise intelligent posters get hung up on the incredibly complex legal concept of a two word phrase having a more specific legal definition than the dictionary definitions of the two individual words combined so I kind of get how someone who finds the law scary and intimidating would grab onto a shortcut that gives them power.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe? The government choose to bring conspiracy charges, which requires a proof of intent (IANAL). The jury found insufficient evidence of intent among the protestors. The verdict was a confluence of a poor prosecutoral strategy, some suggestive jury hijinks and culture war bullshit causing the jury to extend the benefit of the doubt to cultural peers rural Oregon is real loving white
The jury didn't give a gently caress about proof of anything, as evidenced by them voting NG on a theft of government property charge against Kenneth Medenbach, who literally was arrested while driving a stolen MNWR truck with the markings painted over in sharpie

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It does make me wonder if there are significant disparities in how white jurors approach the subject of nullification vs minority ones. I'd hypothesize that whites would be more open to the prospect due to being conditioned to view the law as being meant to serve them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

It does make me wonder if there are significant disparities in how white jurors approach the subject of nullification vs minority ones. I'd hypothesize that whites would be more open to the prospect due to being conditioned to view the law as being meant to serve them.

It's more than that -- nullification has almost always been used specifically to uphold white supremacy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's more than that -- nullification has almost always been used specifically to uphold white supremacy.

Do you mean specifically in cases of white crimes against minorities? Because jury nullification has a history that goes much further back than just the United States, and a significant part of its history in the states is northern juries using it to protest the fugitive slave act.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dont even fink about it posted:

Hey, wanna get real mad? Read the Wikipedia page about the aftermath of the occupation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge

I still contend the feds did nothing wrong at Waco and should have steamrolled these clowns as well.

Bonfire Lit posted:

The jury didn't give a gently caress about proof of anything, as evidenced by them voting NG on a theft of government property charge against Kenneth Medenbach, who literally was arrested while driving a stolen MNWR truck with the markings painted over in sharpie

And LMAO juries are for uncivilised shitholes without a functioning central government that need to make sure the locals don't feel like the man ivory tower elites are lording it over them. Which I suppose has been an accurate description of the US for much of its existence.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

On the one hand I think they are all idiots, but on the other hand I witnessed otherwise intelligent posters get hung up on the incredibly complex legal concept of a two word phrase having a more specific legal definition than the dictionary definitions of the two individual words combined so I kind of get how someone who finds the law scary and intimidating would grab onto a shortcut that gives them power.

Look Secret ballot can be agreed upon by some group as a dance where they puppet around whole fried chickens and when they say they are having a secret ballot people will think they are having a ballot in secret. It is like the opposite of the phenomena where people use irregardless. They mean one thing but that doesn't stop people from hearing another, especially given how milquetoast their avoidance of a 'secret ballot' is. Sure they know no one stuffed the ballots, but that doesn't mean we know who voted for anything.

are DNC voting members elected on any level?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blowfish posted:

I still contend the feds did nothing wrong at Waco and should have steamrolled these clowns as well.

And LMAO juries are for uncivilised shitholes without a functioning central government that need to make sure the locals don't feel like the man ivory tower elites are lording it over them. Which I suppose has been an accurate description of the US for much of its existence.

Setting aside all legal/moral justifications, which is not not lightly done, unless you went in with a terminator some cops were probably going to die, and I don't think ideally anyone wanted the building to be collapsed into rubble and lit on fire outside of the nutters sitting in it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Setting aside all legal/moral justifications, which is not not lightly done, unless you went in with a terminator some cops were probably going to die, and I don't think ideally anyone wanted the building to be collapsed into rubble and lit on fire outside of the nutters sitting in it.

And among the occupiers were those who'd specifically lined their wives and children ahead of them in the previous Bundy Ranch standoff, with the open and avowed purpose of their deaths in any exchange of fire making the cops look bad.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

If those nutters claim they're doing a real revolution then send in the troops like you're crushing a real revolution :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Why should you legitimize it? They were trespassing, and the FBI treated them like they were.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Why should you legitimize it? They were trespassing, and the FBI treated them like they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzC4Dzj7kWI

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Dawncloack posted:

Historically I'd say it can be traced back to Flesh and blood defenses. Look it up, it's a fascinating read. Also depressing.

Also the above response sounds snarky, and is, but there's more than a grain of truth. Law has its own cosified, ossigied rituals, which could and sometimes do sound like magic incantation. Some people dont understand them, are scared or co fused and try to fight back with gibberish they found online. They are desperate.

Then there's also idiots who think they have found the cheat code to Law. They get tased and the world is good.

That said, even if their incantations are gibberish I feel they have a noxious effect in that some ppl will mistake following the ACLU's advice with sovciticenry.

Finally got around to looking into this, and thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for, specifically here.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I was really disappointed that this thread wasn't about Mega City 1's eastern counterpart.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

I was really disappointed that this thread wasn't about Mega City 1's eastern counterpart.

Dredd & Discussion

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

blowfish posted:

If those nutters claim they're doing a real revolution then send in the troops like you're crushing a real revolution :colbert:

Other then the jury nullification, I think it worked out better in the end, because those idiots just look like a bunch of hicks, not martyrs to an overstepping government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fish of hemp posted:

• Locked thread