Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

“At its core, it’s a free-to-play game,” Willits said, “with the option to buy the Champion Pack and just get in and play with all the Champions. There are a number of Quake players that just want to play their Quake, right? And they are familiar with the business model of our previous games, and they are totally fine."

Players who buy the Champion Pack — the de-facto full-price version of the game — will get Ranger and all the other Champions that the game launches with. Everyone else will be able to pay the in-game currency, called favor, to play other Champions for a finite period of time.

But, there’s other ways to burn off excess currency as well. Players can spend favor on backpacks, which will enable them to take on rune challenges. Succeeding at a rune challenge will grant players reliquaries, which they can open to reveal new Champions and new skins.

“We do feel it's more approachable,” Willits said, “and we feel that with our team game modes, and then especially our dual mode, that we can fill a hole that's missing in esports today."

“We do have a really nice advantage, because lots and lots of the pro players got their start playing Quake. And yeah, they're playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive now and, Overwatch, but their first love is Quake. So we want to get that critical mass where you have enough players and then we want to ... expand our competitive play, our league play as we move into late this year and next year.”

play other Champions for a finite period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i have a feeling that F2P is never going away, but i loving hate it

I wonder if in the next few decades the period of gaming between arcades and F2P microtransaction marketplaces will be seen as the anomaly to the norm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i was hoping they were going to have a mode that didnt have the hero crap but this announcement I think shoots that idea down.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump, for the open beta this is having starting tomorrow. I got to play it last two weekends already and the hero stuff is unsurprisingly complete AIDs and so is all the countless in game currencies, timers, daily missions, coosmetics etc. But you can still frag people at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quake Champions - Visor

Moscow’s GRU designed Visor to be the perfect soldier. Tireless. Unfeeling. Impervious to pain and panic. A clone equipped with cybernetic enhancements, Visor is more machine than man. A mask filled with strange putrefied blood was grafted onto his face, giving him the ability to see through matter. He’s a predator through-and-through, and now the Arenas of the Dreamworld have become his hunting grounds, where he stalks the other Champions with boundless persistence.

ACTIVE ABILITY – PIERCING SIGHT

Using his Piercing Sight active ability, Visor can temporarily see through all matter, allowing him to keep tabs on any opponents who may be trying to get the drop on him. He can even use his Sight to track Nyx after she has activated Ghost Walk. Good luck trying to sneak up on a man who can see through walls.

PASSIVE ABILITY – GRASSHOPPER

Visor may be cocky about his skills, but he certainly has the speed to back up his claims. He can even keep up with the fast-talking (and faster moving) Anarki. Thanks to his Grasshopper passive ability, Visor can continually gain speed when strafe-jumping, with no cap on just how fast he can go. If you’ve got the skill, you’ll be able to keep up with anyone. Paired with Piercing Sight, Visor is a handful in Deathmatch and the perfect choice to bring along for a Duel.

Be sure to hop into the Tech Test and test your mettle with Visor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fadam posted:

I like this game. I thought the hero stuff sounded stupid but in game it's really not that big of a deal. They should probably standardize movement/hp stats tho.

Right but that's the whole problem I have with it, is that the hero stuff is really half-assed and barely worthwhile. Like they just took Quake III and spread all the movement designs over 12 different characters, each mildly imitating one element of the machine. So people who want hero shooters aren't going to give a crap because it's not actually a cast with variety, and other people (like me) are ticked off that those variances even exist in the first place and would rather just having QL with new textures.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

quake live actually got fairly big for a small window in like 2008-2009 but of course it was prior to the esports boom so no one cares

Before they even announced a release date for this game they announced a 2 year esports program, ladder, event schedule, pot bonuses, etc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

im going to get heavily back into quake and use the wallhack character with unlimited speed noqw

Lets frag this weekend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope it at least has a trickle down effect of more people trying out QL so there's more than 3 servers active at any given time, 2 of which are running CA 24/7...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's live

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The wallhack is pointless bc it lasts like 4 seconds and has a 50 second cooldown, and you will hear anybody who is 4 seconds away from you or expect them to be where they are anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like the guy who has the most health in the game and also has a passive where once his speed passes 400 his defense increases and contact with him damages you is the best Champion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new mode they added is CTF, but for somereason you have to defend the flag capture point for like 45 seconds. DUmb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fadam posted:

I think they said they're adding an actual CTF mode, this weird Obelisk thing is what they want for their "competitive" team mode. I only played it twice but I didn't really like it very much. They probably should have just made their competitive mode CTF.

Oh ok. I tried it twice and didn't really like it because the idea of not moving in Quake is so insanely retarded only the geniuses at Bethesda could cook it up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Titanfall 2 had fun CTF because you could zip pretty quickly around the levels but nobody played it and you could still spwan Titans in it which was stupid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also between the last beta and this public one they patched it so that if you're shooting the LIghtning GUn but not hitting anybody with it the projectile is invisible which is retarded.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I guess the effect, not the projectile since its hit scan. But i guess people complained that you can shoot it past doors and people will see it so they made it invisible if you miss, lmfao. THank you /r/QuakeChampions!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also in this new patch if you hold right click to zoom your aim weapons do more damage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AT least the Lighting Gun thing is listed a "Known Issue", and will be fixed. although idk how something like that breaks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Quake Champions is: FPS; sitting around waiting to capture a flag; increased ADS damage, 3 second weapon respawn time; invisible lightning gun effect, choice + epic Quake Heroes!

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Confession: I went to make a thread saying "Quake is: FPS etc" but when I typed in QUake into the thread title bar it auto-completed the rest of it, which reminded me I already made the exact same joke 3 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One Man Trash posted:

check out this champion's voicelines. warning the video is extremely loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAi93dNSbk|

Lol

• Locked thread