Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Sew Season
86 PS…

And so, the first High Council came to be. Representatives from the splintered kingdoms gathered for the first time atop Mount Sandtomb. Their choices would radically alter the future of the continent and all those who seeked to live within it.

The Castle at the peak of Mount Sandtomb is a simple affair. It is solid grey rock, dull iron, glints of silver. The windows are thin and dark. A ten-part statue lays in an otherwise empty courtyard outside the front gates. However, the design and architecture are deceptively simple. It is not until you look closer that you realise the building has been stripped of any identifying mark, any fashion or trend or technique that might identify it as belonging to one kingdom over the others. The materials and building processes used are universal.

The castle is staffed by quiet figures in plain robes. They move, act and talk like warrior monks. You notice, with some degree of surprise, that many carry weapons. As you arrive, one by one, they meet you. They move with a calm and serene unity that gives the impression they have been planning for your arrival meticulously. You have been briefed upon them. They are known as Those Without Nation. They live, without citizenship, atop the mountain. They pay no taxes, ask no aid, serve no masters. The mountain top is geographically part of all ten kingdoms, and independent from them all. You were given very little information, but one point was made very clear – if anyone within your attache were to harm or kill one of Those Without Nation, it would be the start of an extremely unfortunate international incident that may leave your kingdom wiped from the map and absorbed by the others.

“Welcome, the staff will take your belongings and assist any subjects you have accompanying you to the relevant quarters. Only you alone may enter The Grand Hall.”

The hall contains ten raised thrones, each identical, each arranged so that none seems more prominent than the others. Before them the hall stretches out to the back of the room. There is a chair on a raised platform behind a simple wooden desk, and to one side of the room lays a small collection of chairs and tables piled high with scrolls, leather-bound books, maps, quills, pencils and ink. Robed clerks file in and out, silenty performing their duties in preparation for the first meeting.

A calm, yet authoritative voice penetrates the stillness of The Grand Hall. The accent is rich, full and thick, but hard to place.
“Please, take your seats. My name is Chairperson Yulia Sivande. It is my job to oversee the running of this High Council.”

Chairperson Sivande – High Council Facilitator

She takes a seat at the isolated table, then gestures for you to sit at the thrones.

“From Red Chainday to Red Chainday, I will endeavour to set into motion those things which we decide upon here. I am the final voice upon these matters, and I have been selected for this position due to my complete impartiality in these proceedings. To elaborate – I am from the offcontinent. I have no allegiance, familial, political, racial or religious to any of the kingdoms here. Whilst I understand you must all have concerns, this High Council will not succeed unless you are able to accept that I am philosophically and theologically dedicated to neutrality in these matters. I will not entertain any inquest into my position. Once again, I stress, for this to work we must accept that this is the case. My position is also of some ceremony. Officially, though I serve you as High Councillors, I am also above you. Therefore, no one of you is the first to be declared in any matter. Above all, neutrality rules here.”

She looks out, as if to dare any to speak against her, then licks her lips and continues.

“Proceedings here each Red Chainday will follow a rather simple pattern. Issues of an international nature that require voting, shall be brought forth here. Some will be presented by myself, others will be presented by independent persons from the splintered kingdoms. The issues on the table will be put forward and it will be the job of each of you to ask relevant questions and share opinions until you feel you are able to make a decision, or I feel debate has reached a point of pointlessness. At that stage you will be asked to vote. Some votes will be a simple yay or nay. Others will require an agreement of conditions. Once this stage of discussion is done, you ten may put forth your own suggestions of issues to reach the table. I will decide which of those are of worth. Some I will dismiss, some I will bring forth immediately, some I will schedule for a later date. Whilst discussion is expected, I will not accept argument of my final ruling.”

She leaves another pause, then opens a thin red book on the desk before her. Her deep eyes move carefully across the page.

“You have a copy of The High Council Charter. The laws and rules of The High Council can be found within. I suggest you become acquainted with them. If there any questions, I urge that you leave them until the end of this meeting. Before all else, we must dive directly into business. If you note the laws of The High Council, you will notice point 3. We are to appoint advisers to several positions. I have provided a shortlist for each position. There is, in my opinion, little discussion to be had regarding this issue, therefor please feel free to cast your vote immediately. You may state your reasoning, but do not feel obligated to."

Welcome! It is time to cast your first vote. Please put thoughts in italics, and spoken words in quote marks. The end of each post should have, in bold, any decisions made with regards to voting. You are welcome to discuss the decisions, or introduce yourselves, or you can simply get stuck in to decision making.

On The Table
86.1.1 - Motion to elect, by way of vote, individuals to adviser positions within The High Council. A list of the candidates for each position is outlined below, with descriptors determined to allow High Councillors to gauge their attitudes. Councillors may vote once for each advisery role, abstain from any vote, or choose to abstain entirely.

General Adviser
Istram Calafai - League of Makeo - [Cautious] [Forward Thinking]
Lady Alama Iralia - Free City of Hyderia - [Peaceful] [Forward Thinking]
Mir Bel'therea - Verisanga the Land that Was - [Reserved] [Temperate]

Trade and Treasury Adviser
Trade Lord Hull - Free City of Hyderia - [Open Market] [Capitalist]
Gal Hassan - Collected Tribes of Surov - [Econo-philosopher] [Capitalist]
Excala Enlafayette - Emerald Empire - [Trade Sanctionist] [Econo-warrior]

Military and Peace Adviser
War Leader Gilt - Queendom of Tr'inix VII - [Warrior] [Strategist]
Caleb Uberveltd - Vonicci - [Trader] [Negotiator]
Liza 399 - Steambound Hegemony - [Utilitarian] [Diplomat]

Theology and Magic Adviser
High Mage Saffara - Concordat of Trismegistus - [Practitioner] Reckless]
High Mage Illdana - Concordat of Trismegistus - [Practitioner] [Reserved]
Devland Marikan - Illuminarchy of Fenadesh - [Researcher] [Reserved]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The High Council Charter

The High Council
High Council Facilitator

Chairperson Sivande

Member Nations and Leaders, organised alphabetically by name of nation
Collected Tribes of Surov Representative Mir Baator

Concordat of Trismegistus Representative Untalan

Emerald Empire Representative Ixtli Itztli

Free City of Hyderia Representative Lyla Skye

Illuminarchy of Fenadesh Representative Calerik Delveris

League of Makeo Representative Levi of Thon

Matriarchy of Verisanga Representative Skaidrite Laizans

Queendom of Tr'inix VII Representative Thax

Steambound Hegemony Representative Kara-108

Vonicci Representative

Advisers

General Adviser: Istram Calafai - League of Makeo - [Cautious] [Forward Thinking]

Trade and Treasury Adviser: Gal Hassan - Collected Tribes of Surov - [Econo-philosopher] [Capitalist]

Millitary and Peace Adviser: Liza 399 - Steambound Hegemony - [Utilitarian] [Diplomat]

Magic and Theology Adviser: Devland Marikan - Illuminarchy of Fenadesh - [Researcher] [Reserved]

The Laws of High Council
1.1: No threat or action of physical harm may be made towards another member of the High Council, their families, or any specific person.
1.2: War may be declared, and the implication of lost lives will be carried with it.
2.1: The High Council Facilitator has final say on all matters.
2.2: They are impartial and serve their position until they retire via choice, at which point a new High Council Facilitator will be chosen by Those Without Nation.
2.3: In the event that The High Council feels that The High Council Facilitator is unfit to perform their duty, a vote to remove them must be passed unanimously.
3.1: Nations are responsible for the actions of their subjects within The Castle.
3.2: Advisers are voted in every 3 years in Sew Season. A 5-1 vote must be passed in order for them to be removed prematurely, at which point Those Without Nation will appoint a replacement until the next formal vote.
3.3: In the event of a deadlock vote, it is the Advisers job to settle the tie.
3.4: If such an agreement is impossible, The High Council Facilitator will settle the tie.

History
86 PS
Sew
-The Council voted to elect Istram Calafai to the post of General Adviser.
-The Council voted to elect Gal Hassan to the post of Trade and Treasury Adviser.
-The Council votes to elect Liza 339 to the post of Millitary and Peace Adviser.
-The Council voted to elect Devland Marakan to the post of Magic and Theology Adviser.
-The Council voted nay on the establishment of a central treasury.
-Motion to establish 4 internation mortal-rights laws rescheduled for Sew Season 87 PS.
Grow
Mow
Snow

87 PS
Sew
-Motion to establish 4 international mortal-rights laws rescheduled from Sew Season 86PS.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kara-108

"Thank you, Chairperson, the Hegemony acknowledges your station and neutrality. Thank you fellow Councillors. The Hegemony looks forward to many beneficial accords to come out of our wisdom and negotiations. Please accept my apologies for lack of individualized greetings as we dedicate our thoughts to the current issue before the Council."

"On the motion of eight-six-dot-one-dot-one, the Hegemony votes the following:

"Subsection A: General Advisor - Lady Alama Iralia has our admiration and faith.
"Subsection B: Trade and Treasury Adviser - Excala Enlafayette has the necessary strength and quick action to perform this role.
"Subsection C: Military and Peace Adviser - We humbly Abstain from voting due to the presence of the respected Liza-399.
"Subsection D: Theology and Magic Adviser - Devland Marikan has the support of our Council of Engineers."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

"It's excellent to see such an important post in impartial hands. I am here, instead of a functionary or, as a sign of our faith. We need this organization to prevent disaster, and to preserve our knowledge, history, and art."

"For General Advisor we will support our own Mother Mir. Her knowledge, tact, and, foresight are without peer. "
"We chose to abstain from the "trade" advisor vote. We have little interest in such banal, material matters."
"Gilt is our choice for War Advisor. Peace is not something purchased and bargained for - but assured with dignity, honor, and force of arms."
"Devland Marikan is clearest choice for Magic Advisor. So much has already been lost, and we need the most dedicated among us to make sure nothing else slips through the cracks."

(I made a Discord for us - https://discord.gg/w33t7KD - if that's what we'd like to use. I'm Virric there.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Untalan, Councillor of Trismestigus

"The Concordat of Trismestigus sends greetings and salutations to our fellow nation-states and their representatives, and extends well-wishes to all selected to serve upon this Council." Untalan's voice sounds faintly hollow, and the fact that his lips do not move when he speaks can be faintly unnerving, but his tone seems warm, at the least.

"The Concordat has also instructed me to extend its assurances that the Council of the Concordat has performed a number of auguries and divinations that have assured them that Those Without Nation in general and the High Council Facilitator in particular are in fact, in her words, 'philosophically and theologically dedicated to neutrality in these matters;' it is their hope that this assurance will ease the concerns of my fellows."

The Thaumaturgist of Glass seems to relax a little, having spoken; the rehearsed sentiments have been dispensed with, and now he is on his own. He prefers it that way.

An interesting suite of options, he muses, looking at the prepared files on the nominated advisors. It appears that only ourselves and the Hyderians have two potential nominees, though only we have two options in a single category. Interesting. One wonders just how strongly each councillor will value having one of their own in an advisory position...

"The Concordat's preliminary slate is as follows. We will, of course, entertain discussion and debate that may lead to a different final slate of votes."

General Adviser - Istram Calafai seems most apt to recognize the dangers inherent in any actions we take. Dangers are no reason to stop taking a particular action, of course, but it is best to be aware of them.
Trade and Treasury Adviser - Gal Hassan's approach to the philosophy of economics would be, I feel, most beneficial when addressing issues of how the diverse economies of our many nations can best be utilized in concert.
Military and Peace Adviser - Caleb Uberveltd best suits the Concordat's approach to conflict, namely that negotiation must be given every chance to succeed - the wastelands of Trismestigus stand in mute testimony of what happens when it is not.
Theology and Magic Adviser - High Mage Illdana is known to me personally, and they are extraordinarily capable and skilled in more practical effects rather than strictly theoretical concerns.

OOC: As noted, the above are preliminary votes; I reserve the right to change any or all of them in response to debate. Debate is good, we should have some.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mir Baator

Mir lights his pipe, the single personal effect he refused to part with. A thin smoke - khaki, tinged with spice - envelopes him. He acknowledges the facilitator with a nod. He would not be here if he rejected her premise. He leafs through the ledger, his eyes navigating its foreign script with utmost care. He is silent for a time.

"These names are unkown to me," he says. "My kinsman and neighbors, I know; the rest are sounds. Calafai, Enlafayette, Gilt, Liza, Marikan. Tell me of their contributions."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Trade and Treasury Adviser - Gal Hassan's approach to the philosophy of economics would be, I feel, most beneficial when addressing issues of how the diverse economies of our many nations can best be utilized in concert.
Hassan, he thinks, but does not share. A man of numbers, dependable, but perhaps out of depth in the trading sea. Is he known to the towers? Is this an extention of faith? Or is it a product of the fear which keeps our own off the war council?

(OOC: Even though we don't know where Hyderia sits on the map, I'm assuming my guy's still familiar with them by virtue of them being a bunch of transcontinental traders)

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kara-108

"Presenting logic algorithms for the Hegemony decision process, in hopes of modifying future determinants.

"Iralia and Enlafayette act as two sides of a coin. The first a forward thinker with the ideals of peace front and center. The second an aggressive trade overseer, able to issue sanctions and bring economic consequences to bear before tensions escalate to internecine or direct foreign war.

"Balanced, these two afford us much latitude."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

"And what of your own candidate? The machine?"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"Sirov, Mother Bel'therea is a senior leader of Order Mezasargs - teachers, philosophers, and record keepers. Like many of us she spent her maidenhood outside the crypt-cities, tutoring noble children, collecting history for the libraries, and promoting understanding through education. During her travels she produced the first of her now revered texts on pedagogy. She has a gift for communicating complex concepts quickly, and more importantly, she can teach the skill to others. When she returned home and took a wife she threw herself into modernizing our own education practices. Her patience, grace, and dry humor became a hallmark of her debating style and helped her rise through Order. My position almost fell to her, but she is woefully inadequate as a necromancer - able to control only a few dozen bodies at a time."

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kara-108

Bad Seafood posted:

Mir Baator

"And what of your own candidate? The machine?"

"Liza-399 contains an array of input/output modules that excel in emotional-sentient feedback. A separate node allows her to assign value to to all groups of society, from kingdoms to individuals, understanding precisely where the optimum sacrifice-to-gain ratios may be found. City Zero-Three was completely overhauled under her care with both reproduction rates and forge production increasing by fifty-percent each with only a seven percent increase in maelstrom loss. I believe those results speak for themselves."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ixtli Itztli, First Brother of the Serpent King, Councilor Envoy for the Emerald Empire

"Hello."

Ixtli barely looked up from the papers in his hand. He was uncomfortable. There was too much unnatural technology here. There was too much strangeness. There was too little tradition. And the Emerald Empire was a land held absolutely in thrall by ancient customs, traditions, and superstitions. He cleared his throat.

"Hello," he repeated again. A second try. More polite. "May the run rise in the morning. May the moon sink tonight."

Then he raised his hands palms facing inwards-- a symbol of polite deference.

He didn't like being here. He wasn't supposed to be here. The thought continued in his head over and over. He wasn't supposed to be here. He wasn't supposed to make these kinds of decisions. He was the King's brother and he was supposed to be advising the King. This wasn't what the Crocodile Priests had raised him to do.

But... the Crocodile Priests hadn't raised anyone to do this or to be here because this was uncharted terrirtory. He took a deep breath.

"I am in agreement with the envoy from the Hedgemony. Our focus should first and foremost be peace. For now. For always. assuming these papers to be accurate, Lady Alana Iralia is of the proper temperament and belief for General Advisor. I do not know her personally. But I do not know the others personally either."

"Excala Enlafayette," he continued, "I do know. He is a tremendous asset to my lands and he is proof of the Serpent King's belief in this council for my people will surely be worse off without him. Since clutch, he has excelled in numbers, negotiations, and long term logistical planning. Our villages are disparate and distant and the maintenance of fair trade amongst them is a task neither simple nor small."

Ixtli traced the word capitalist with his finger.

"I know that this might go against the personal philosophical beliefs of some within the room," he said carefully, "but we are in a delicate time of transition. I believe it is important to promote fair interests and sanction those who oppose public gain in favor of private fortune. Perhaps there will be a time for such policy. But we are still fragile yet. And we need a steady economic hand as we move collectively towards this multinational union."

"So. I vote for Excala Enlafayette for Trade and Treasory Advisor. I will pass the floor to those who know more of magic before I place my vote there."

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

The Fenadeshi delegate listened as the others spoke, watching them all, intense but impassive. After a while, he spoke,

"Honoured Chairperson, esteemed fellow councillors, the Illuminarchy of Fenadesh recognises you and greets you. As is the way of those whom I represent, I intend to listen to the merits of each candidate before committing to a vote. To that end, I respectfully request of the honourable Councillor from the Concordat the details of their other candidate, High Mage Saffara."

He inclined his head towards the Glassman, then continued,

"Accordingly, it is my duty to speak of Devland Marikan. As the honourable councillor from the Matriarchy has alluded, Devland Marikan is renowned even beyond our borders for his diligence and attention to detail. He has earned the rank of magus-professor for his efforts in universal magical theory, and his treatise on the principles of miraculous magical effects is required reading for those studying Divinity in our colleges. From what I know of him, I believe he will be fit for purpose in the Theology and Magic advisory position. There is a high likelihood I will endorse him, depending upon the quality of the remaining candidate."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lila Skye, Councillor from the Free City of Hyderia

Lila arrived before the others, sending her adjutants to go poke about the giant old castle and see what might fall out. She sits with her documents and dossiers neatly stacked at arm's reach, with a notepad and the Charter closer in.

"A pleasure to be here, Facilitator," she says to Sivande with a polite nod. She looks over her fellows, some already energized, others biding there time like her. "I'm sure we will all work together to guide the realm to continued peace and greater prosperity." Her gaze trips up on Kara-108. Had she met this automata on the trade mission? It can be so hard to tell them apart sometimes. She offers just a careful, polite smile and moves on.

As the others discuss the appointments, Lila takes neat notes in her book. Two Hyderians up for positions, and certainly both desirable in her own view. Unfortunately, each from different factions of her homeland.

On the matter of Trade and Treasury," Lila speaks up, "I strongly advocate for Trade Lord Hull. His accomplishments in expanding trade routes and finding efficiencies prove an understanding of economics that the other candidates cannot match. Meaning no offense, of course, to the great Gal Hassan, for theories and philosophies have their use, but when it comes to the practicalities of implementing policy, it is essential to have hands-on experience."

Lila shuffles a few papers.

"Lady Alama Iralia laid the groundwork for Hyderia's first trade mission to the Steambound Hegemony, which I had the privilege to be a part of, and I'm sure Councillor KARA-108 will agree, has yielded positive results for all involved. Her willingness to open new dialogues and pursue new opportunities in the spirit of mutual trust would surely serve the Kingdoms well."

"As for Military and Peace, I am inclined to those who put priority on talk rather than war, although between Caleb Uberveltd and LIZA-399 I have no strong preference. On the matter of Theology and Magic, I defer to the wisdom of the Council."

That's a vote for Iralia and Hull, and Lila is holding her votes on the other two for the time being to see where things go.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Mother Superior Laizon clicks her tongue, the sound is reminiscent of cracking bone. She leans forward, and her many facial scars are outlined in candlelight. You can smell the ash and mildew clinging to her gray robes.

"While I agree Lady Iralia is an accomplished, brilliant woman she is the not the right woman for the post. Passion is well and good for rallying the troops, but in diplomacy it's like mining with dynamite - you may well accomplish your goals or you may just as well collapse the entire gallery and kill yourself in the process. Passionate people make rash decisions, and when passion wears off you're still mired deep in legalities, technicalities, and tradition with no greater understanding - just an emptiness. And what's more, her constant focus on the future is likely to make many uncomfortable - we need an advisor who respects the past as much as the future. We need someone who can forge understanding between disparate nations, not someone who raises the tension in the room and risks everything because she has stars in her eyes. We need an educator and a mediator."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan inclines his head towards the Fenadeshi delegate, and pauses a moment to gather his thoughts. "I believe I would best serve the needs of this Council by expounding on both of the Concordat's nominees; my own opinion on High Mage Ildana's competence may not be sufficient explanation. I will also note, in the hope of answering a question that has not yet been asked, that I have avoided, and will continue to avoid, using gender-specific references when referring to High Magi; this is customary among the Concordat, for a number of reasons which I would be happy to explain at a later date." He makes a sound that is probably intended to equate to clearing his throat, and continues.

"As you may know, both High Mage Ildana and High Mage Saffara are known for their active ability and mastery of practical effects. I respect Devland Marikan's abilities as a researcher - indeed, I believe even both of the High Magi would admit that he is a more skilled researcher than they - but I would note that neither of them have needed such focus on research, as we of the Concordat retain access to the most advanced techniques of modern magic as well as those techniques and materials used in the Old World. On the steppes of the Concordat, using your magic to protect your Tower-state and shield its citizens from the Maelstrom requires an emphasis on immediate application and practice, and it is to those ends that both Ildana and Saffara have bent their talents.

"Saffara is, I would argue, the more directly powerful of the two; the Tower-State of Saffara is one of our largest, and they have no apprentices or assistants to bolster their protections. This in and of itself is a feat of prowess that I am not entirely certain I can make you understand fully. Several thousand people, as well as their herds, are kept alive in the face of incomprehensible magical energies that can strike without warning at any time solely by the will and power of Saffara. Having said that..." A two-beat pause. "High Mage Saffara's skills impress no one more than High Mage Saffara. They have a tendency to believe in their own prowess even in the face of unacceptable risks. They have never yet failed in a task that has been set before themselves, but as a person of action rather than quiet contemplation I find myself concerned that they would hardly be content to advise.

"Contrariwise, High Mage Ildana is part of a triumvirate of magi that operate the Tower-State of Ancanil. They are, as I have explained, exceptionally skilled, not possessed of the sheer raw arcane power of Saffara but perhaps having acquired a greater degree of technical skill. To illustrate, I would note that the Abjurations of Darik-Thil is one of the more demanding defensive techniques known to our people; it will protect the caster and the area surrounding them from virtually any force you may care to name. I am only barely able to cast it, and only if I am not already weary from other uses of magical energy. Its casting is, in fact, often used as an ad hoc test of an individual wizard's competence. I have personally witnessed High Mage Ildana command the Abjurations of Darik-Thil while already badly wounded and missing a hand. Their puissance astonishes me. Despite this skill, however, they are also well-acquainted with the wisdom of caution, and blessed with an abundance of foresight. I know of no other living being whom I would so readily trust to tell me what magic can do - to tell me how best to apply the resources made available to us by magic to achieve whatever goals this Council might put before them."

Untalan pauses once again, three beats this time, and when he once more speaks his voice contains a faintly rueful tone. "In the interests of fairness, I believe that it is incumbent upon me to note that I am not unbiased with regards to Ildana's merits - nor, indeed, am I entirely certain that we are all judging the criteria for this advisory post on the same merits. It is my impression of the office that the advisor shall advise this Council on how best to use magic to achieve its goals, as well as to provide insight into the applications of thaumaturgy that may inform our decisions. If, as my valued Verisangan colleague seems to imply with their vote, the office's role is to preserve knowledge, that would be an entirely different matter - though I would note that if such a role is indeed intended, 'advisor' would be a poor descriptor for them, and 'archivist' might prove more apt. I think it may be a good idea for us to ensure that we are all working with the same set of expectations regarding the offices and duties of these advisors."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir exhales a stream of smoke, his glance impassive as he studies the Hyderian councilor.

"You speak of experience. Hassan's experience is known, though perhaps uncelebrated. His affinity for logistics was unmatched during the war. He is a man of immediate thinking, well-suited to meeting the needs of a diverse population under duress. More than any other, in our darkest of hours. His efforts were crucial towards bolstering our forces against Sim Jarhal, whose warmongering would have consumed the continent. And in peacetime." He takes another draught of his pipe. "He has been entrusted with our commercial ports, and placed in command of our merchant marine." Again he exhales, smoke rising. "But it is true, at least, he is not well-traveled. His genius is limited by our circumstance. And his strength with words is no strength at all. These things I will admit to you."

With a glance toward Untalan, he continues, "But those in the tower are familiar with his means and his end. His speech betrays his own humility, nothing more."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thax

Thax watches the room while the others speak. He is familiar with many of these people, the Hedgemony in particular due to their proximity to the Queendom.

Shame they don't produce pheromones. Makes it easy to lie. Though, they have not shown a propensity to lie in the past. Will continue to trust the, for now.

"Greetings all. The queen extends happiest greetings. Pleased to be here.
We have reviewed. The following are our choices."

General Adviser. The Lady Alama Iralia. We seek progress, and peace.

Trade and Treasury Adviser. We feel Gal Hassan best suited. Agree that a philosophical approach is necessary to deal with many, conflicting economies.

Military and Peace Adviser. Gilt is an obvious choice. He has been a trusted general of ours for years, as well as a dear friend. He is a highly effective leader. Our soldiers follow him without question and he has a reputation for minimizing casualties in battle. We have been fortunate to have many years of peace, and he's been just as effective there. He is an efficient and compassionate leader on and off the battlefield.

Theology and Magic Adviser. Devland Marikan is our preferred choice. We are not magically inclined and, while we do not inherently distrust it as others do, Marikan has a reputation for being reserved and considerate. He has our faith.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"On the subject of the general advisor," Gwynivette finally spoke up from her, frankly, uncomfortable throne. It was uncommon to see anything quite so ceremonial in her home nation, thrones and crowns didn't survive very well in Vonicci. On the other hand it was a drat site more cheery than this place - which says something! "I favor the good Lady Iralia from the lands of our friends and neighbors Hyderia. She will surely be a beacon in dark times..."

"I would like also very much to recommend the appointment of Trade Lord Hull, of the lands of our friends and neighbors Hyderia, to the office of Trade and Treasury Advisor. Really, isn't it about time a trade lord was in charge of trade?" The question hung the air, it was obviously rhetorical. Much like her interest in this council meeting. Sure, the question being posed had some merit, but only if one imagined this council developing a prominent legal and functional foothold in all the separate and disparate nations of the continent. If one could innocently trust that this curious meeting of ragtag kings was going to accept a bureaucracy following on their bootheels and second guessing their edicts in their own nations, then it mattered who the general advisor and the general sub valedictorian advisor were. Gwynivette didn't have any faith, wasn't at all certain in fact that this wasn't a waste of her time. And if it was, drat right she was gonna use it as an opportunity to flatter the neighbors. It's possible the trust earned from that might actually be worth something.

Gwynivette didn't see any real profit in this. In any of it. But she pressed on favoring her own selfish interests. In the Vonicci way.

"I couldn't imagine a finer man for the office of Military and Peace Advisor than our own native Vonicci Caleb Uberveltd." She trilled out in a well practise and very unexcited seeming exclamation. "I've personally worked with Caleb countless times to work out the real nitty gritty of complicated trading dilemas." She hadn't. Once. Ever, actually. "I can tell you from experience he's a hard worker, a great negotiator and he truly sees the bigger picture in every situation he's called to administer to." He sounded like a pretty good guy. Gwynivette wondered which crime family he worked for. "I implore everyone to consider voting for experience, peace and tenacity. Consider voting for Caleb!"

The exclamation was again dead in the water. And it hung between the thrones for an artificially enhanced minute. Gwynivette contained a sigh halfway between nervous and bored and continued along the script.

"And finally we cast a vote for High Mage Saffara. She is held in high regard by our people for her reckless and relentless pursuit of magical embetterment."

Gwynivette stared at the other Lords and Ladies. One of her eyebrows raised in a vaguely accusing manner and she leaned back in her thrown and wiped an offending whisp of hair from her face. She wondered what she was doing there. And whether or not she could have a cigarette.

... "Will this take all day?"...

Voted for Lady Iralia, Trade Lord Hull, Caleb Uberveltd and High Mage Safarra.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 15, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lila lets a smile slip as the discussion goes on and her pen neatly marks her tally sheet. Lady Alama ranks clearly in the lead, and Lord Hull...perhaps could be salvaged, if a few more could be won over. A polite nod to Gwynivette, her smile widening. "We always appreciate our friendship with the good people of Vonicci." Their ruling cartels on the other hand...wat least this woman seems unlikely to kill Lila in her sleep, so it could be much worse.

The pen twirls in Lila's fingers as she thinks. "Councillors," she says, letting her attention linger on Baator and Untalan, "Trade and Treasury appears to be an impasse. I would hate to miss out on the insights of Professor Hassan if the voting moves against him." She lets the suggestion hang just long enough to sink, then moves on, with a glances at the pad, "And between Uberveltd and Gilt, while none can doubt War Leader Gilt's courage and skill, I find Uberveltd more in line with the needs of the times."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kalerik Delveris

His eyes closed for a moment, he meditated, turning his focus inward to try and imagine the consequences of each nominee being given their positions. Were he back in Fenadesh, he would expend some of his arcane focus to run simulations, model their behaviours through simulacra based on what was known. He was leery of doing so here: Casting in mixed company could be seen as gauche or insulting. Finally, he deliberated,

"I have heard testimony of Mother Mir and of Lady Iralia. Once our fellow Councillor from Makeo has spoken of Istram Calafai, I believe I will be ready to choose from the three."

He turned to regard the delegates from Surov, Hyderia and the Emerald Empire.

"The candidates for Trade and Treasury Advisor have all had their virtues lauded. Let the record state that the Illuminarchy of Fenadesh concurs with the Concordat and the Queendom in endorsing Gal Hassan. Our reasoning is his solid grounding in the philosophy of economics is in accord with the considerations of best practice espoused by my homeland."

"Onto the Peace advisor. War Leader Gilt I trust to be suited to his task, but I would not have this council led into war, as that is antithetical to the Fenadeshi mindset. Let us never forget the Hundred Years of Horror that has scarred our land from one end to the other. So, Caleb Uberveltd or Liza Three Nine Nine. Both would be promising candidates, but in this matter, let the record state that the Illuminarchy of Fenadesh supports Caleb Uberveltd for the position, but offers acceptance to Liza 399 as a second preference, acknowledging their prowess as a diplomat."

"Theology and Magic. It seems... unusual to lump together the two, and whilst my colleague from the Concordat has spoken eloquently of both High Mages, They have demonstrated their knowledge of Magic primarily. That they are true masters is implicit in their rank and title, for the spellcraft of the Concordat of Trismegistus is without peer. Were this position purely to advise on matters of Magic, I would have no doubt and would throw my weight behind High Mage Illdana, and would be exceedingly glad for their counsel.

And yet. And yet the Theology aspect looms large. Either of the High Mages would, to me, be worthy of being a Magic advisor, and it would only be right and fitting for the nation strongest in Magic to hold that role. I have nothing but high praise for the Concordat, We are grateful to be in proximity to them, as good neighbours. But that is not all that this role encompasses. Now, I am aware that there is a certain pressure for each nation to back and support their own candidates. I want to make it explicitly clear that we hold no animus whatsoever towards the Councillor from the Concordat supporting one of their candidates over one of ours, it will not have any impact on our future dealings, and we recognise that this is expected conduct with good cheer. Likewise, we know they will bear no malice towards us for doing as they have done but in regard to our own candidate. Because Devland Marikan has included that theological element to his research, we believe him better placed to advise on both of the issues this title contains."

(Illuminarchy nominates Gal Hassan, Caleb Uberveltd and Devland Marikan, deferring judgement on the general advisor until the Makeo rep has spoken.)

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ixtli Itztli, First Brother of the Serpent King, Councilor Envoy for the Emerald Empire

Ixti leaned back. These people.

"Ubvervelt is a trader and, no doubt, a successful one. But he is not a diplomat. These are distinctly different positions no matter how similar the skill sets." Ixtli found himself quite irritated that this was even a discussion. The Emerald Empire had turned specialization into a cultural art form and so this... incorrect mixing of professions was difficult to swallow. He glanced over at Thrax. The Queendom was similar to the Empire with citizens were segmented into niche roles. Or so he had been lead to believe. "Nor is Ubvervelt experience in war. We are voting for an Adviser for Military and Peace. I would prefer to have Liza-399 in this role as her experience is in negotiating peace. But if I must choose between someone who understands war and someone who does not then the vote is made for me."

As it should be done for all of you, he thought.

"War Leader Gilt."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"It heartens me to know the Emerald Empire still understands where peace comes from. You cannot bargain your way into it, when peace is just another bauble to trade it becomes a bludgeon to use on those who disagree with you. Only those who can understand the cost of war can prevent it."

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"I just want to say," Gwynivette crowed from her thrown, barely turning her head away from the emptiness between her and the grand central table. "that peace can be incentivized."

"Caleb isn't a warrior, no, but he has settled disputes between nations on countless occasions! And between private parties on astronomically more occasions... and you know, peace doesn't just bloom on it's own. It's dependant on healthy import export relationships. Peace is what happens when you don't have to invade your neighbor for his things anymore, cause you can already buy them in your own home town. Peace is healthy markets, sweethearts."

Maybe she'd gone a little far with that one but, it was the first meeting. Important to give an accurate impression. And though she knew she was being quite caustic there was the important issue at hand of trying to get her man into the office. Caleb was Vonicci's only shot at an insider. So she straightened her shoulders and made her smoky timber something a touch sweeter, took a breath and tried to make her point. Nicely.

"Liza Three Nine Nine is a tremendously able diplomat. But her powers are limited to that world. The political world. She knows how to solve disputes that exist on paper, she doesn't have much experience working with people. Real people. People with mortgages. Have you guys invented mortgages? Wait till you do, they're terrible..." Her gaze returned then to the central table, and her voice diminished in ferver.

"I'm just saying don't expect a very good diplomat to do what a very good merchant king can, by way of keeping people happy. And maintaining mutual appreciation between our nations should be the first job of the Advisor for War and Peace. Making an environment where people don't feel the need to go to war is gonna save us money on wars. And that's what Caleb can do. Keep the markets healthy, keep luxury items circulating, make sure people aren't getting restless or going hungry. You want a diplomat to do that for you? For the continent?"

Gwynivette seemed to catch herself then, her eyes narrowed and she straightened her posture turning to Kara-108. "With all due respect of course. Just my opinion."

Gwynivette endorses Caleb strongly for the office.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

"I think it bears noting," the Glassmage's faintly hollow voice suddenly interjects, "that we are selecting advisors. Acting on their advice, and the methods of doing so, and even whether or not to ignore it entirely, will be the task of all of us here in this room. These are advisors, not ministers. Let us not mistake this. No matter who we select to advise us on matters of war and peace or any other matter, implementing that advice will be on our shoulders, not theirs.

"It is well and good to consider what each of these advisors can do, but only insofar as it informs their capacity to advise us. I would advise my fellow Councilors to keep that in mind."

If Untalan's tone sounds slightly flat, it may not be coincidental. The wizard has likely rarely been so pleased to have a permanently expressionless face, given the trend of some of the voting thus far.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
The League of Makeo

Captain Levi of Thon

Levi sat impassively in the high backed chair that had been provided for her. Twisted to sit at an angle, she draped one leg over the arm of the chair, her elbow propped up against the other as she regarded the earnest speeches going on around her. She had to rely on her body language, given that her expression couldn’t be made out through the glossy black mask that had been designed to allow her to breath comfortably at this ungodly altitude. With each breath, the respirator rasped, the extensions of her cranium seeming to fill with air and deflate slightly in time with her lungs. Her glowing violet lenses looked directly at the High Council Facilitator, scrutinizing her closely, though for all her apparent boredom she hadn’t tuned out her fellow councilors. Rising up over the back of her seat like some wary serpent, one of the long tentacles that grew out of her shoulder oriented to examine each speaker in turn, it’s one good eye sizing them up as it’s cruel beak clacked irregularly as points were made. When she turned to regard another speaker, sometimes she’d reveal the lens covering the other eye bore a spiderweb of cracked glass and emitted no light.

Finally, the time came where she could no longer be a passive observer. The silver-haired Illuminate, Delveris had called her out after all. A long hiss issued from her mask, and she drew a wine skin from the inside of her brilliantly dyed coat, placing the end against and induction port just under the respirator and tipping her head back as she took a deep draught, the sack visibly losing some of its heft as she chugged deeply of the sickly sweet wine distilled from the jungle fruits of her homeland. Then, properly fortified, she kicked her way up and out of her chair, standing dramatically with a thud from her heavily soled boots, her head swiveling one way as the tendril-head examined the otherside.

“I am Captain Levi of Thon, I speak for the League of Makeo.” She said with something approaching the expected decorum, “’Til I die, or they find someone better at any rate.” She added, her shoulders shrugging with a suppressed chuckle.

“I’m not familiar with Istram Calafi, I’m afraid. I don’t travel in those circles.” She said, raising her arms in apology, “But I do know of his reputation. Born to unfortunate circumstances, rather than turning to crime Calafi taught himself letters. He ingratiated himself with the staff of the Academy of Ael in Brass Point, working his way up the ladder until he was elevated to the post of Head Administrator.” She tilted her head to the side slightly, “It’s not as illustrious a post as some of his competitors. However, under his stewardship the Academy has risen in the ranks, and now competes for the highest number of new patents in the League. Perhaps more importantly, the number of fires and injuries associated with Ael’s laboratories have dropped significantly.”

“He’s not without his detractors.” She admitted, inclining her head towards Kara-108 “Some claim that without his nannying, the gap between our technology and the Hegemony’s would vanish. I’d say they’re cranky old farts who’d rather assuage their egos than accept the industrial advantages our eastern neighbors possess.”

“Still, he’s proven himself a man of vision, and frankly the lot of us could do with less exploding.” The one-eyed mandible bobbed slightly as if in support of her own assertion, “I’ll surprise no one and cast my vote for Istram Calafi for General Advisor.”

“Regarding the Trade and Treasury Advisor, I’m afraid that the League cannot support a sanctionist.” She bowed her head slightly towards Ixtli Itztli, “I respect the concerns of the Empire, who values their people so highly, but I cannot in good faith support richer nations abusing their affluence to bully those who place more importance on less ‘banal and material’ matters.” She didn’t quite turn her head to glance at councilor whose words she’d borrowed. Hopefully that nudge would be enough to get her off the sidelines, “I’ll cast my vote for Gal Hassan, some of his ideas intrigue me, and hopefully we can avoid the extremes that concern the Emerald Empire so.”

For Military Advisor, I vote Caleb Uberveldt.” she paused a moment, “No real speech there. I’m a Leaguer; we may come to battle more quickly but our philosophy of the purposes of war and peace are mostly in line with Vonicci.”

There was a deep rasp from her mask, the lenses of her mask dimming slightly as she took a deep breath. So far, all of her votes had fallen in line with the glass speaker of the Trimestigus, but on this final point she was going to have to diverge. Hopefully, she could do so in such a way that he could understand, if not appreciate.

“I will admit that, like many of us here today, the secrets of magic are not particularly well known to my people.” She said carefully, “Still, I believe that the realities are much the same as finding solutions via engineering, and it is through that interpretation that I will speak.”

“The Council acknowledges that the Concordat of Trismestigus are experts in the arcane. It is by no accident that two candidates from their lands were chosen for the post of Theology and Magic Advisor, and I would bow my head in difference to their practical mastery of the art.” She clasped both her hands behind her back, “However, Practical Use deals in solutions for problems that we have already encountered. Problems that we have already encountered, have solutions in play already, and though they may be refined I would say that the strength of tradition will bear those problems out in time.“

“When this council convenes on a matter of magical import, I dare say that it will be a matter for which a solution is not ready made. For this, we need an advisor who specializes in theory, in new solutions.” She unclasped her hands, swinging them back around in front of her to pound her fist into a palm with a sharp clap, “Furthermore, the distribution of magical and technological knowledge is not uniform across the land. The Illuminate’s focus on both of these fields increases the odds that Devland Marikan will find a solution that can be implemented by whoever is in need. I’ll find you a fish that sings before I can dig up a Leaguer that can cast the Abjurations of Darik-Thil, as potent as they may be.”

“So it is that I vote Devland Marikan as Advisor on Theology and Magic.” she paused a moment, glancing up at her other head for a moment, “Aaaaaaaaaaaand I guess that’s it.” She said, taking a step back and collapsing into her chair.

”Grace.” she swore under her breath, returning the bottle to her mask for another deep slug. What a pain.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

"The Concordat will, I am certain, be delighted to hear that so many of my fellows hold our magical expertise in such high regard that they are willing to say so aloud," the Glassmage suddenly interjects, "even if that appears to be the limit of their admiration. I would, however, take issue with your delineation of the benefits of practical applications versus the theoretical, if I may, Captain."

Here Untalan leans forward slightly, and if his face is expressionless, his hands become less so; as he warms to his topic, he speaks with his hands as much as his voice, chopping the air for emphasis, spreading them wide when making a point. He was not so animated earlier; this may, perhaps, be a sign that he is not reading from notes, so to speak.

"Though technological matters are largely foreign to us of Trismestigus, I have been briefed thoroughly so that I may not be wholly unfamiliar with such technical matters during discussions before this Council, and I am reminded of a pair of Old World terms - the scientist and the engineer. The scientist, I am given to understand, worked most readily in the realm of theory. They were the ones to discover new things to be done. But the engineer worked in terms of practicality; they were the ones who actually did them. And so while the scientist could say that it was possible to push lightning through a small tube to cause light to glow in a faraway room, it was the engineer who had to concern himself with actually building the tube and guiding the lightning. It was the engineer who would say 'yes, you can do this, but the materials we need for the tube are prohibitively expensive and, if too much lightning goes through them, they are prone to explosions.' They were the ones that had to address problems in the real world, not the theoretical world of numbers and papers, where if something goes wrong, all it means is that numbers change - not that, as in the real world, people could die.

"Devland Marikan is a renowned theoretician and researcher. His expertise is well-known, even within the Concordat, and justly so, for his insight is keen. His is a once-in-a-generation mind. But he works in the realm of theory. When the Maelstrom - and I apologize for delving into metaphorical examples that are most familiar to me and mine, but this is a danger we live with daily - when the Maelstrom comes through at night, he can readily advise us on how best to erect our defenses - but will he know how it shall be done? Will he know that utilizing natural mana flows in perpendicular array against the winds is more efficient but is also more prone to akashic spillover that can lead to nearby citizens forgetting the names of their loved ones, and so must only be done when there has been enough warning to erect your defenses at a sufficient distance from your Tower? Will he know that the howling of the Maelstrom can sometimes - not always, but sometimes - sound like nothing so much as the voices of your loved ones crying out in pain, and be prepared for that distraction? He will know what can be done, surely, but will he know the practical effects of doing so? Will he know how to do it?

"It is perhaps unseemly, I know, to advocate so strongly for a High Mage who hails from the nation that I represent. We are, after all, all here to try to find ways to work together rather than simply to advance our own individual interests - at least in theory. And I am, I further confess, motivated in part by the knowledge that the Council of the Concordat will hardly be pleased to learn that while everyone has been full of effusive praise for our magical capabilities, they will doubtless not be entirely delighted to learn that that praise does not extend towards trusting one of our number to know what they're actually talking about when it comes to advising this Council on arcane matters; it would be foolish of me to deny such.

"But I must once again advocate in the strongest possible terms for High Mage Ildana's inclusion as an advisor, for they are, in this metaphor, the engineer. The one that knows what magic can accomplish, but more importantly, knows how it can be accomplished, and what the costs involved might be, and whether a magical proposal is possible in practical terms or just a theoretical pipe dream that only looks good on paper. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Devland Marikan, but take it from someone who knows," and here he gestures at his own unmoving glass face, "and who has paid a steep price for the knowledge - theory and practice are not the same thing. Theoretically I was at a safe distance from the Maelstrom. You can all see for yourselves how well that turned out in practice."

Now, one of the side effects of Untalan's consciousness being transferred into an animate facade of Maelstrom Glass is that he no longer needs to breathe, which is a nice side effect when it comes time to expound at length like that, but as he leans back his shoulders move in the manner of one taking a deep breath; an affectation, perhaps, or perhaps an indication that the outburst took more from the Thaumaturgist than expected. Or maybe it's just for show, who can say? Regardless, he sounds almost tired as he finishes, "If I have been unable to convince you on this matter, then the failure is mine, and so be it. But I ask you all to reconsider."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir chews on his pipe as he tallies the votes in his head. He does not think. He knows.

Iralia has been chosen, then. And Marikan is sure. Nothing now can disrupt these appointments. But Hassan, to think! This may be a chance...

He shuts the ledger.

"You have been informative. I have made my decision. On the matter of magic, with respect to Marikan, we must side with the Concordat. We are a practical people. I must acknowledge results over theory. As to the matter of which candidate, the High Mage Illdana is best-suited for the position. If we are to employ magic, restraint is required. As to the rest, I would see Istram Calafai as general advisor, and War Leader Gilt to keep the peace. For matters of commerce, I must selfishly endorse Gal Hassan for reasons I have already given."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

"You make excellent points Untalan."

The Mother Superior smiles, or attempts to. The right side of her mouth is pinned into a frown by a large gash. The skin around it has the texture of torn paper, and light congeals in the wound. The candlelight sparks against her last red strands of hair.

"We are formally changing vote for the magic advisor to High Mage Ildana."

She leans back, and lets out a sound somewhere between a wheeze and a sigh.

"And I may I also say, you're almost as long-winded as a sister."

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
The League of Makeo

“Well argued, Untalan.” Levi responded, crossing one leg over the other and propping her chin up once more.

“However, the issue remains, unless the Concordant is willing to supply mages to enact the High Mage’s solutions, I fear that my people will be unable to act upon their venerable guidance.” She tapped a finger against the cheek of her mask again, “I don’t believe you’re in a position to promise those experts, however, and I would hate to strain your people.”

“Now,” she paused for a moment, “Perhaps if we were to arrange a scholarly exchange, a chance for some of your magi to lecture in the League’s Academies while some of our technicians do the same in the towers, we could make strides to overcome that failing.” She circled one hand around the other.

“With a corps of specialists to draw upon, I could swing my vote towards the Concordant. If not now, surely in three years when the foundations are in place and the position becomes open again.”

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

The Glassmage might have had an expressionless face but Ixtli Itzli did not. The First Brother scrunched up his nose.

"Well," he said, "what exactly is the point of having advisers if they don't know what they're talking about?"

Another man might have singed those words with sarcasm but Ixtli was surprisingly, genuinely asking the question. He did not understand how Uberveldt was considered a viable candidate. By anyone. The man seemed... grossly unqualified. He lacked experience. He knew neither how to create war nor how to create peace. Ixtli shook his head. In the Empire, back home where things made sense, someone who was good at fishing would fish for a living. They wouldn't become a priest or a foreman or a raidleader or an Adviser on Military and Peace because that was not where their talents lay. He rubbed his thumb over the fingernail of middle finger. He couldn't escape the dogging thought that he should be back home. Where his talents lay.

"Ants and beetles both live in the dirt," he said. "And at the first drop of water, ants lock arms and form a chain. But beetles are washed into the river by the rain and they are eaten by fish and birds."

Ixtli gave a small, almost imperceivable shrug. As if that was all the argument anyone should need to change their mind about Caleb Uberveldt.

After a moment, he looked down and begun re-shuffling his notes on the candidates for Theology and Magic. On paper alone he was inclined to vote for the High Mage Ildana. She was the more "qualified" candidate. Easily. But he found himself uncomfortable with the reasoning of the envoy from Trismestigus. Was the Glassmage an individual behaving as an individual or was he an indication of the larger population? Ixtli knew he should be voting for the betterment of all nations but Untalan seemed selective in doing the same. How similar could he expect Ildana to act?

The vote was becoming quite close again. Would would the Serpent King have him do? What would be the best course for his people?

He didn't know. He reread the three files again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

With a nod towards the lounging captain,

"Thank you. That, together with the general information, is sufficient to acquire the support of the Iluminarchy for Isram Calafi. A long-term, considered approach is in alignment with the approach of the Fenadeshi people."

He then turned towards the person composed of glass.

"It is to do my countryman a disservice to accuse him of incapability in his chosen field. To research, to innovate, it requires the capacity to experiment with that which you study: Magic is not simply knowledge or we would be able to make archmages of all with an educational outreach program, and believe me, we've tried. The High Mages of the Concordat are far superior in their mastery, that is beyond doubt, but that largely goes with the territory. The question has been asked, would Devland Marikan know how to practically apply theoretical knowledge. The answer is a resounding 'Yes!'. He is meticulous. he has gone out and done the work required to back up his studies. Now, he's not a genius Artificer, that I'll grant you: Thaumaturgy was always his focus and his specialist subject. But to say that he is some study room-bound dreamer who has no sense of the practical or the pragmatic is to cast aspersions on just how much learning how to best apply knowledge is a part of the Fenadeshi psyche. We deliberate and study, yes. But we model! We test! We get the practical data, hands on, and use that to refine and improve! As it is with our people, so it is with our person, raised in that tradition that it is not enough to rest on the laurels of the past, but that nothing is perfect, nothing will be perfect, and that striving for perfection in knowledge and, most saliently, in execution is one of the most worthy endeavours there is. If you unleashed Devland Marikan on ameliorating the problems of nocturnal maelstroms, not only would he do it, but it is likely you'd get a fully documented, refined and improved methodology to better enable others to do it in the future, including yet more of the caveats and concerns illustrated as potential stumbling-blocks, and how to avoid them."

He paused, and spread his arms in a conciliatory gesture.

"Moot, because Magic is only half of what the role requires. I have spoken of Devland Marikan's scholarly work on miraculous effects, but it is remiss of me to simply presume that the High Mages have not similarly touched upon the other half of what the position requires merely because it has not yet been mentioned. Esteemed Councillor of the Concordat, with the acknowledgement that their Magical credentials are impeccable, How do either of the High Mages measure up on providing advice on matters of Theology?"

(the Illuminarchy votes Isram Calafi for general advisor)

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

"A wise line of thinking. And one that should be extended to all positions."

He looked at Untalan.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lila listens to the debate flow back and forth, occasionally fidgeting with her pen and then making updates on her own little tally sheet. Trade Lord Hull seems to be a lost cause, as support coalesces around Gal Hassan. Hassan is...fine, at least he isn't that blasted protectionist, Enlafaye.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

"Thank you, Mother Superior." The Glassmage's hollow voice rings wry, even faintly amused. "I believe that I shall regard that as a compliment. It helps not to have to pause for breath, I confess."

Turning then to Captain Levi, Untalan shakes his head, saying gently, "I believe, Captain, that this is a separate issue. The magical resources, or lack thereof, of each nation here represented is not affected by this vote; that is to say, whether you vote for High Mage Ildana or High Mage Saffira or Devilan Markand, I do not believe that the end result will affect the League's degree of expertise. We are, I reiterate, discussing advisors, and should this Council decide, on the advice of those advisors, to pursue a course of action that requires thaumaturgical resources, then it will be incumbent upon this Council at that time to figure out where we are going to get those resources, how to pay for them, and so forth. To discuss apportionment of those resources now would be, I feel premature." He holds the Captain's gaze for just a moment before inclining his head. A skillful attempt to sell a vote, though, I grant you, he does not say. Not aloud, at any rate.

Finally, then, to the Fenadeshi. "I beg your pardon, sir, but I believe that I have done no such thing as to accuse your countryman of incapability; I have attempted to emphasize why I believe that attention to practical matters is more likely to be of use to this Council in determining our future course of action than attention to the theoretical is. It is no insult to your countryman to say that his mastery of practical magic is not on the same level as the High Mages of the Concordat, for in your own words, sir, 'that they are true masters is implicit in their rank and title, for the spellcraft of the Concordat of Trismegistus is without peer.' I hope that it was not presumptuous of me to infer that you would not have said that if you did not intend it to be taken as truth, but I somewhat resent the implication that, simply by acknowledging the degree of skill possessed by my countrymen that no one else here has denied and that you have endorsed, that I have in some way denigrated the noble Devland Marikan. None was intended, just as I am certain that you do not intend to brush off the constant existential threat towards my entire nation that has existed for generations as a thing that could be solved with ease. Surely this is merely the result of the two of us being new to one another's manner of speaking, and will doubtless be ameliorated in time."

Finally the Glassmage spreads his hands and gives a very visible shrug. "As to matters of Theology, it must be admitted that we have little truck with Gods on the steppes of the Concordat. I believe that High Mage Saffira has bound several minor deities into service, but I confess that I am uncertain as to their names or portfolios. The world of spirits and gods and demons is vast, but we do not bow to them. If need be we oppose them.

"Having said that, the degree of expertise that I may address is dependent entirely upon how one chooses to define the term 'Theology.' In the most commonly used fashion, it is the study of Divine Beings who are greater than we mere mortals, and who, through service, may grant power to those who seek to honor them. In that field, neither High Mage would be considered at all an expert. In the more academic fashion that we use in the Concordat, Theology is the study of otherworldly beings, their control, their desires, and their power. Occasionally their habitats, though it is a sad truth that the passes of the Maelstrom tend to make interplanar excursions riskier than they had once been; the winds move through more spaces than merely the physical, and astral connections have a way of being severed. Regardless, in the study of these beings, who we do not see as somehow greater than we or deserving of veneration simply for being of otherworldly origin, High Mage Saffira is the greater expert, having a significant degree of expertise in the summoning and binding of spirits. Much of her ability to maintain her Tower-State singlehandedly falls to the fact that she can delegate many minor tasks that might otherwise drain her magical energies to these servitors. High Mage Ildana, on the other hand, is less apt to summon otherworldly beings, though when they are encountered she has great skill with using their essences to animate the Golems that form the bulk of our peacekeeping forces. She concerns herself more readily with the physical, mortal world in which we all live than with extraplanar concerns, though, it must be admitted."

That there might be delegates present who might look askance at the idea of binding Gods into one's service because one refuses to bow down to them does not seem to have crossed Untalan's mind.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

The Mother Superior continues to try and smile. It's not a pleasant sight.

"Almost Untalan, almost."

She lets out a small, scratchy laugh. When it stops, she goes limp for several moments. Her head hangs low, ashen robes swallow up her head. She looks dead. Her head moves again, and her joints pop.

"If the gods are an equal concern, I am surprised a Mother-Priestess was not included in the voting. Few can match their knowledge of theology, or earth spirits."

She shrugs. Gray hair falls down her face. It caresses a constellation of shrapnel scars in her cheek.

"In any case, we are changing our vote for General Adviser to Istram Calafi. We cannot allow such a vital post to fall to a woman as rash as Lady Iralia. We must marry caution to foresight, and not lose ourselves in our passions."

When she finishes speaking, she's overtaken by a coughing fit for a almost a minute. She looks drained when it finally finishes. And as the argument moves away from her again, she thinks of her wife, her daughters, and granddaughters.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
League of Makeo

Levi nodded her head in recognition of Untalan’s gesture towards her, but remained silent. Alas, without that concession, her vote remained unswayed. An advisor whose advice she could not reliably act on was like a gun with no ammunition, a fine show piece and conversation starter, but a poor tool.

“Ah, so that’s what Theology is about. I had wondered.” Thinking back on what little she knew of the arcane practices of the League, they were less involved in bending mana than they were in entreating spirits for favor. The practice of bribing a fair wind, the coaxing of motion from the doldrums, the groveling for mercy under the influence of a storm tossed sea … most of it set to music. If anything, Untalan had only further cemented her vote away from him.

I won’t begrudge you a reluctance to be leveraged, she thought, finger still tapping against her mask, I wonder though, will debate be enough to get you what you want? Should be interesting to see, at least.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

He looks over to the Matriarchy delegate with an expression of some considerable concern during her coughing fit. Quietly,

"May the symptoms be alleviated, the underlying cause cured. Is there any assistance that would be useful to you?"

Returning to the matter of the Theology and Magic adviser, turning back towards Untalan,

"It is a pity there is not scope for a compromise solution, one that would avail ourselves both of High Mage Ildana's mastery and Devland Marikan's meticulousness. I genuinely believe that Devland's research expertise would make him the better option of the two, but the gain is marginal, we would be strengthened by either. As much as it would be useful to have another Fenadeshi here, it is not an overriding necessity, and our national interest is best served by having those with demonstrably the best intellect and aptitude strengthening the council. Both candidates can provide that. So, what of opportunity cost? If Ildana is here, who tends to their tower? The weight of the protection of others is not currently on Devland Marikan's shoulders, which would ease transition."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Chairperson Sivande watches the conversation pass back and forth with intrigue, but it is very difficult to gauge her thoughts on the discussion. She jots notes in her ledger, scribbles on a scrolled parchment beside her, and seals an envelope with wax. She lifts a small silver bell between two delicate dark fingers. One twitch of her hand and the sound resonates through the hall - a pleasant, soft ding. You get the impression that this bell takes the role of a gavel in a court of a law.

"This discussion is extremely fruitful and beneficial to the politicking we will perform here. However, part of my role in these proceedings is chaperoning the discussion forward. Currently, with regards to the appointment of General Adviser we are at an impasse. Five votes cast for Istram Calafai, five cast for Lady Alama Iralia. In future, when such deadlocks occur, it shall be put forth to the Advisers to make a collective choice. In instances where they are also drawn upon a choice, I will have final say. Curently, the vote appoints, to the role of Treasury and Trade Adviser - Gal Hassan. If I am tallying correctly, I am still awaiting the vote of The High City of Hyderia Representative for Millitary and Peace Adviser. I also still await votes from the Representatives of The High City of Hyderia and The Emerald Empire regarding Theology and Magic Adviser. There is still time to cast the final votes, as well as break any deadlock, but I think we must press on. Thoughts?"

24 hours left to vote/change vote. Loving how things are going so far.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

The Mother Superior shakes her head and lets out a snort.

"No, I wear my wounds with pride."

She touches the side of her rib cage with the tips of her fingers, as if she's remembering a long forgotten fling.

"Took a nasty hit from some Makeo pirate back when I was still a mercenary maiden, the fact we didn't have respirator units for walking around on the surface back then didn't help."

She moves the strands of gray hair out of her face.

"Finally taught me to watch how I plant my feet, at least."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

"In this," Untalan says to Calerik, inclining his head, "we are agreed; ideally we would be best served by having the services of both of these great minds as advisors. Were such a compromise possible," and here he flicks his glance towards Chairperson Sivande, "I would endorse it with alacrity. Regarding the disposition of High Mage Ildana's Tower-State, as mentioned earlier, it is overseen by a triumvirate, and I am given to understand that were they to be selected, they are confident in the ability of their Apprentices to see to the state's defense in conjunction with their partners. Were they unable to take the position without endangering the lives of our citizenry, their name would not have been put forth."

To the Captain, Untalan makes no further response. If her nation would be unable to act on High Mage Ildana's advice they would like as not be hard-pressed to act on the Fenadeshi's either; to the Glassmage, the point is moot. He's made his case; all that he can do now is hope that it has been persuasive.

After a moment's pause, however, the mage turns to face Ixtli Itzli, gesturing slightly with his hands. "If I may address my colleague from the Emerald Empire; my apologies, I realize that I have been rather caught up in the discussion regarding one advisor to the detriment of discussion on others, and I know that you have concerns regarding the choice for the Military and Peace Advisor. Your point vis a vis War Leader Gilt is well-taken, and one that I personally might find persuasive, but I have been asked by the Concordat to support Caleb Uberveltd. To illustrate why, please indulge me as I tell a story of the early days of the Tower-States.

"Before the Council of the Concordat was formed, when each Tower-State was an independent entity answerable to no one, one of the mightiest states was the Tower-State of Ankythia, ruled by the High Mage Ankyth. A neighboring state wished to wage war upon them, for they were in possession of an Old World artifact that allowed them greater success in fending off the Maelstrom. And so they attacked, using a column of unliving golems augmented by three capable, if not remarkable, spellcasters. Ankythia fended off the attack, and sent them a letter; in it, they apologized for having had to destroy the army that had been sent against them, for clearly such a move had been in error, and hoped that the two states would remain on cordial terms. But Ankyth's enemies did not take the hint, and sent a larger army, backed by several more powerful spellcasters. But Ankythia fended them off again, and once more Ankyth sent a letter; in it, they told their neighbors that enough was enough, but that they were willing to forgive this assault if they would pay a fairly reasonable amount of treasure. But they did not pay this treasure; instead they raised as many troops as they could find and set off to claim Ankythia for themselves, an army of thousands of enchanted Golems and every spellcaster that they could muster, several of whom were quite justly famed for their skill and knowledge.

"High Mage Ankyth called down fire from the heavens and wiped them all out, to the last man. Then they set out and destroyed the Tower from which the Tower-State took its name, and today none can recall what they were called.

"This has become the Concordat's approach to war. Attack once, and when you - and I am not speaking specifically about you here, I am being metaphorical, please do not feel threatened - are defeated, there will be an opportunity to call the whole thing off. Relationships may be damaged, but they will be cordial, at least. Attack twice, and when you are defeated, there will be an opportunity for you to buy peace. If you refuse to buy peace, or if you attack a third time? Then we destroy you and everyone you know and love and scatter your ashes to the Maelstrom.

"With these guiding principles, it is our belief that Caleb Uberveltd will best serve this Council - for a man with practice in negotiation and trade is a man who can be best positioned to advise us on how to stop a war before it starts. And this is, we feel, vital to the continuation of life on this continent, for to the Concordat, once a war starts, it will only ever end one way. We are not a military nation - but we know how to end a war. It is our fervent hope that we shall never have to, which is why we support the Vonicci. I realize that this is not an explanation that will likely cheer you, First Brother of the Serpent King, but I do hope that you will, at least, understand our motivations."

• Locked thread