Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

I think he's saying remove the miller altogether

Yeah, caught that after I posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

You may be right.

Remove the BP Miller, add a 7th VB.

Then change the Godfather role to this:
Scum BP Godfather (when not making the NK, appears Town and has a 1-shot BP, notified when expended. On nights when the Godfather makes the Scum nightkill, they are NOT BP and appear to be Scum if investigated. If the kill succeeds the Godfather is Lynchproof the next day.)

!!! Now that would cause some Nailbiting!

And I think it fits in with all the interrelated roles. The Miller is boring, the question of whether to claim D1 or keep secret in hopes of drawing a kill and expending the BP is not very exciting after all.
The Godfather BP is important for SK/Scum duels at endgame. Making the Godfather potentially Lynchproof adds a whole extra layer of risk/reward in the mix of deciding who will do the Scum NK.

Ok, after reading it properly I still like it. I'm a tiny bit worried about the math for town with well playing scum since we are removing a potential confirmed BP town and also granting scum a chance at cuddle proof.

The below from my original post still applies:

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I like that it gives the scum some serious riskVreward action to consider with their actions. The extra VB helps make the power/non power D1 soft claim much less valuable to push for, which gives the scum/sk a little bit of extra breathing room early on. Given the potential for cuddleproof on scum, there is extra wifomy stuff inserted into solving the game that makes the whole thing more questionable even if you think you have it figured out.

I just think someone needs to math out the possible game states.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
or just run one and see what happens!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

this is a stickup posted:

or just run one and see what happens!

Sure, I would totally play in it to test it out.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Sure, I would totally play in it to test it out.

Me too, and I would even post more! This game just happened to be open at the worst time for me after D1

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I remember that.

"Oh wait we win"

*hammers*

I was v. glad you showed up when you did

was that game over thanksgiving or christmas whatever it was i legitimately did not have 4g signal

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Lumpen posted:

You may be right.

Remove the BP Miller, add a 7th VB.

Then change the Godfather role to this:
Scum BP Godfather (when not making the NK, appears Town and has a 1-shot BP, notified when expended. On nights when the Godfather makes the Scum nightkill, they are NOT BP and appear to be Scum if investigated. If the kill succeeds the Godfather is Lynchproof the next day.)

!!! Now that would cause some Nailbiting!

And I think it fits in with all the interrelated roles. The Miller is boring, the question of whether to claim D1 or keep secret in hopes of drawing a kill and expending the BP is not very exciting after all.
The Godfather BP is important for SK/Scum duels at endgame. Making the Godfather potentially Lynchproof adds a whole extra layer of risk/reward in the mix of deciding who will do the Scum NK.

i think this changes the lylo math in a really annoying way

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

got some chores tonight posted:

i think this changes the lylo math in a really annoying way

Please elaborate!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Ok, I wish to make it official, someone update the wiki.
delete the Miller
change the number of Versatile Backups to 7
edit:
Scum BP Godfather (Appears Town if investigated and has a 1-shot Bulletproof (notified when expended). On nights when the Godfather attempts the Scum nightkill, they are NOT BP and appear to be Scum if investigated. If the kill succeeds the Godfather is Lynchproof the next day.)

add to the errata/FAQ:
Note: If the SK and the Godfather attack the same target, the SK kill completes first, and the Godfather recieves the result "Your action failed." and does not gain Lynchproof for the day.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Podima posted:

Please elaborate!

theres a chance you just lose in lylo by trying to lynch a secretly lynchproof scum so you cant ever get to lylo making the game a lot more dire for town right off the bat

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For the latter, I'll just make it crystal clear that the SK kill resolves first (which was already implied). But will get that updated today/tomorrow.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

if godfather and rber are both alive i dont think town can win

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

jailer is the only person who can prevent godfather from becoming immortal (assuming sk has been dealt with) and he can only do it every other night

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

yeah it doesnt actually work i dont think

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Did we ever get confirmation if pod hosed up as a mod? I need closure

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Moatillata posted:

Did we ever get confirmation if pod hosed up as a mod? I need closure

you must first achieve hardness

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

he did

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

you must first achieve hardness

Keep talking sticky im almost there

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i think changing the miller to a vb and the scum trying to play towny at all (instead of aggressively lurking) would be a good start for nailbiter 3.0

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

jailer is the only person who can prevent godfather from becoming immortal (assuming sk has been dealt with) and he can only do it every other night

This is actually valid. If the SK and jailer are dead, Godfather can become immortal.

This is an easy fix though. Make it a once per game thing like the BP.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also, I want to mention again that this setup is super sensitive to lurking and always running it with lurker rules is imperative.

I think Pod's normal rules with the included On Notice period need to be modified for a game that is supposed to end by D4ish. Remove the on notice and it will work great in this setup.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

If a lynch ever fails, the Godfather is caught Scum, and has just bought his team a 1-day No-Lynch in exchange for his life. The SK can kill him that night. He can be Jailed.
The SK, Doc, and Jailer can all potentially prevent the Godfather from becoming Lynchproof by targeting his target.
and
If the SK is dead, and the Town has lost both the Doc, Backup Doc, Jailer, and Backup Jailer, then yes, the Godfather can't be lynched. But that would require a "perfect storm" of fuckups and that Town would have earned the loss fair and square.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

its actually bad

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

pls listen to me and not lumpen who is very dumb compared to meeven if its his setup as evidenced by this game

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

If a lynch ever fails, the Godfather is caught Scum, and has just bought his team a 1-day No-Lynch in exchange for his life. The SK can kill him that night. He can be Jailed.
The SK, Doc, and Jailer can all potentially prevent the Godfather from becoming Lynchproof by targeting his target.
and
If the SK is dead, and the Town has lost both the Doc, Backup Doc, Jailer, and Backup Jailer, then yes, the Godfather can't be lynched. But that would require a "perfect storm" of fuckups and that Town would have earned the loss fair and square.

While this is true I don't see the harm in limiting the cuddle proof to activating once. If cuddle proof is ever actually utilized the power is lost. No reason to leave an infinite loop in place.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That still lets them try for it multiple times if they want but if it's ever activated they can be cuddled the next day no matter what.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

pls dont "balance" this setup by giving scum a avenue to win that involves town lynching someone they figure out is scum (using either their noodles or with a cop investigation) and then losing because that scum was the lynchproof one

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

and its not like thats an unfortunate side effect thats the only way being lynchproof changes stuff its probably very suboptimal to have anyone else do the kill other than the godfather

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

if you really need to increase scum power level, give scum a 1x janitor

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

pls dont "balance" this setup by giving scum a avenue to win that involves town lynching someone they figure out is scum (using either their noodles or with a cop investigation) and then losing because that scum was the lynchproof one
This is a point to consider, that might be anti-fun. On the other hand, I have always liked complicating the simplicity of Got Copped, You're hosed. I like the idea of having a reason to maybe not lynch a Scum immediately even if you know they are Scum, if it's not LYLO, and they aren't the last Scum.

KB, I think making it 1-Shot adds a little extra wording and thus makes the setup a bit less elegant, and I doubt it would ever make a difference anyway. I'm not sure how to word it to make it clear.

maybe:
Scum BP Godfather (Appears Town if investigated and has a 1-shot Bulletproof (notified when expended). On nights when the Godfather attempts the Scum nightkill, they are NOT BP and appear to be Scum if investigated. If the kill succeeds and the Godfather has not been previously lynched, the Godfather is Lynchproof the next day.)

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I actually agree with chores, if for no other reason than that surely would not be fun at all for town players. if the godfather needs to be stronger, don't remove godfather status if they perform a kill

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

this too would make things nailbitery

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

and its not like thats an unfortunate side effect thats the only way being lynchproof changes stuff its probably very suboptimal to have anyone else do the kill other than the godfather

Actually I don't think that is true. Depends on game state but I'd say that in most cases even with this change you wouldn't want to kill with godfather early game. Ninja is still probably the right choice for N1 for most scum teams and in some cases Poisoner N1 will be the best go to choice.

Like was your godfather almost cuddled d1? That is about the only scenario where you would want to consider it. And even then might be copped and cleared if you stay put.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Well, it would depend on how the Scum had played during the day. If the GF feels likely to be Copped, or the Ninja feels likely to be Tracked because they have gotten suspicion on them, then that can affect the choices.

Actually, this could be interesting. All Poison kills could be Janitored, that would be very Nailbitey, and give more incentive to use the Poisoner.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

This is a point to consider, that might be anti-fun. On the other hand, I have always liked complicating the simplicity of Got Copped, You're hosed. I like the idea of having a reason to maybe not lynch a Scum immediately even if you know they are Scum, if it's not LYLO, and they aren't the last Scum.

KB, I think making it 1-Shot adds a little extra wording and thus makes the setup a bit less elegant, and I doubt it would ever make a difference anyway. I'm not sure how to word it to make it clear.

maybe:
Scum BP Godfather (Appears Town if investigated and has a 1-shot Bulletproof (notified when expended). On nights when the Godfather attempts the Scum nightkill, they are NOT BP and appear to be Scum if investigated. If the kill succeeds and the Godfather has not been previously lynched, the Godfather is Lynchproof the next day.)

Yeah this wording seems fine to me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

Well, it would depend on how the Scum had played during the day. If the GF feels likely to be Copped, or the Ninja feels likely to be Tracked because they have gotten suspicion on them, then that can affect the choices.

Actually, this could be interesting. All Poison kills could be Janitored, that would be very Nailbitey, and give more incentive to use the Poisoner.

Fwiw I think there is already strong motivation to start with the poisoner. I do not like any variant that increases likelihood they will be picked since I think it is currently a high skill scum choice.

It's surprising to me it hasn't been more popular.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
If Poison kills are Janitored, then the Scum can't even be sure if they've killed the SK, which could be funny. I'm not sure if it helps the Scum much though, because if Town Power gets Janitored the Backup who inherits the role gets info that Scums have denied themselves. So the Janitor doesn't really give the Scum extra claim-room, does it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

Hal, Rarity, cpig scum team

Called it :frogc00l:

Cheers for the game, but it got boring once it became obvious who scum were and was easy to figure out mathematically :shrug:

Miller 100% needs to go, but I think the open setup nature of the game is one of the things it has going against it.

Maybe have a few variants and one is selected at random at the start so it takes a while for everyone to figure out what's what.
Gotta give scum a chance.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i think the base janitor should inform scum what the flip was but if thats not in the common definition of a janitor PRETEND I MENTIONED THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Infinitum posted:

Called it :frogc00l:

Cheers for the game, but it got boring once it became obvious who scum were and was easy to figure out mathematically :shrug:

Miller 100% needs to go, but I think the open setup nature of the game is one of the things it has going against it.

Maybe have a few variants and one is selected at random at the start so it takes a while for everyone to figure out what's what.
Gotta give scum a chance.

Lmao

• Locked thread