Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

Show me the form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Now that I reported you to your city's building division who will make you actually follow through, I feel better already.

It's really cute that you guys care more about lulz on the internet than actual human beings living in that house.

kid sinister as class is just ending: hey, you forgot to collect our homework

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
why

WHY

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Show me the form.

It is online? Also, I'm not going to post any doxx. This guy has enough problems already.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You dumbass

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm going to attempt to derail this thread with some actual project questions.

Anybody have any ideas how to mount this valve? Most Kohler valves come with mount points that can be screwed to a backer 2x4, but this one seems to be absent of those. My thoughts are that it is held in place with rigid copper pipe that is strapped in place, but I'm using PEX so that's not going to help much. Any ideas oh how to mount this beast?

(Notes: Yes, I'll be using teflon tape, i'm just testing the fittings. I'll probably get a longer pipe between the valve and the spout based on clearance between the valve cover and tub spout.)

it's okay to kink the pex lines it works better that way

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this just ambiguously aimed or intended to be AoE

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kid sinister posted:

It is online? Also, I'm not going to post any doxx. This guy has enough problems already.

Gj taking the high road goon

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
after all is said and done it'll be a pretty great squat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hi grover

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bad Munki posted:

Is this just ambiguously aimed or intended to be AoE

There are two tremendous dumbasses in this thread, apply to whichever you deem most deserving.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how many places on the forums link to this thread now? I've seen it in 4 different threads. Good job, op!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The "vanity" in "vanity outlets" doesn't mean "just there for looks"

The real ones need to be GFCI too.

There's a single GFCI up the line that protects the rest. I have the same setup in my bathroom in my house built in the same area around the same time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Looking forward to further updates, OP. :grovertoot:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
lol OP dumbass you let these internet jerks scare you, you think anyone posting on SOmething Awful dot com actually understands engineering or manual labor? You got fooled.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ignorance is bliss, don't be afraid to rejoist in your work

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bEatmstrJ posted:

I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn

:laffo:

"I'm what the kids call an expert at DIY."

*fucks up floor*

*yells at engineers*

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Zeris posted:

lol OP dumbass you let these internet jerks scare you, you think anyone posting on SOmething Awful dot com actually understands engineering or manual labor? You got fooled.

Hold the phone. Wasn't grover also a GIP mod???

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kid sinister posted:

Hold the phone. Wasn't grover also a GIP mod???

He was, and he was a goddamn defense contractor who worshipped at the altar of the F35.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He was, and he was a goddamn defense contractor who worshipped at the altar of the F35.

He was basically the equivalent of a high ranking O-5 officer

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JB50 posted:

Did you get ANY permits to do this work?

Isnt California crazy about getting permits for remodels? I only know this from listening to Adam Carolla.

Youll never be able to sell this house if this stuff isnt up to code.

If an inspector see you doing remods with no permits you can get into CRAZY trouble.

Yes. Therefore-

Son, come to Oklahoma. It's retarded libertarian, and no one will bother you one dadgummed bit how you do your goddamned house because we're all equal in the eyes of the Lord, we're all just DiY'ers trying to get by in our little multi-million $ sod huts like you got here. FACT: You do not have to be licensed to be a General contractor in Oklahoma. Anything else is don't ask, don't tell.

Bad Munki posted:

Ignorance is bliss, don't be afraid to rejoist in your work

lol you son of a bitch

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Well poo poo, does this mean we're never gonna find out why he needed to sink the tub 3 inches?

Handicapped maybe? Physically I mean.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Well poo poo, does this mean we're never gonna find out why he needed to sink the tub 3 inches?

He's standing in most of the pictures. Also, this is a second floor bathroom. If he's good enough to climb stairs, he's good enough to get into a tub.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Slugworth posted:

He probably just thought it would look cool or something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All the cool houses have sunken features.

Sunken tub.
Sunken bed.
Sunken living room
Sunken garage.
Sunken fridge.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All the cool houses have sunken features.

Sunken tub.
Sunken bed.
Sunken living room
Sunken garage.
Sunken fridge.

Sunken foundation.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder how many places on the forums link to this thread now? I've seen it in 4 different threads. Good job, op!

Which threads are those? I found the OSHA thread in GBS and I linked to it here in the crappy construction thread.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

Sunken foundation.

Sunken cost fallacy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I found the link in YOSPOS's tech bubble thread

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My assumption is that the sunken bathtub will be a structural member of the house.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OP for every mean troll there are 50 goons raptly waiting for​ your next update.

Don't​ go.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
And to be fair, the mean trolls are also waiting for the next update.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

OSI bean dip posted:

Before you go, I wanted to ask about junction boxes again:

I saw this photo in your open directory:

Yet in this image it shows that it is sealed:

How do you get access to the junction boxes there?

hey i dont really understand any of what's happening here, can you explain the issue

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hey i dont really understand any of what's happening here, can you explain the issue

You need to able to access that junction box. The second picture appears to show that it's completely enclosed and sealed off. OP claims that whole thing is removable but has doubled down on "gently caress you guys."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

Which threads are those? I found the OSHA thread in GBS and I linked to it here in the crappy construction thread.

Crazycryodude posted:

I found the link in YOSPOS's tech bubble thread

I saw these three plus the Funny Forum Quotes thread in PYF. I'd be surprised if it isn't linked in FYAD too, those guys love trainwrecks funny things fine craftsmanship.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
bEat mstr J, on a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate your DIY / remodeling abilities?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Godholio posted:

You need to able to access that junction box. The second picture appears to show that it's completely enclosed and sealed off. OP claims that whole thing is removable but has doubled down on "gently caress you guys."

Is this a code thing on houses built after X date or something? I've never actually sought them out, but in the all the houses I've spent significant time in, I've never seen easily accessible junction boxes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this a code thing on houses built after X date or something? I've never actually sought them out, but in the all the houses I've spent significant time in, I've never seen easily accessible junction boxes.
Are you sure? That is to say, a majority of connections in a properly built home will be in outlet, light, and switch boxes. Outside of unfinished spaces, there shouldn't actually *be* junction boxes. So it's not that you are in homes with hidden ones, you're likely just in homes where the only true junction boxes are in the attic or unfinished basement where they belong.

Not sure how long it's been code for, but I'd hazard a guess at 'a long time' - Anecdotally in my years of doing demo, I can count on one hand the amount of times I opened a wall/ceiling and found a junction box I wasn't expecting - Every time being in a poorly renovated basement.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Are you sure? That is to say, a majority of connections in a properly built home will be in outlet, light, and switch boxes. Outside of unfinished spaces, there shouldn't actually *be* junction boxes. So it's not that you are in homes with hidden ones, you're likely just in homes where the only true junction boxes are in the attic or unfinished basement where they belong.

Not sure how long it's been code for, but I'd hazard a guess at 'a long time' - Anecdotally in my years of doing demo, I can count on one hand the amount of times I opened a wall/ceiling and found a junction box I wasn't expecting - Every time being in a poorly renovated basement.

You're right about it being a long time. Knob and tube allowed for in wall splices, but that's about it.

Also, you can get around a lot of the electrical code for fixtures like that by making them plug in appliances. That way, buried junctions suddenly become legal. We told him to do that in the electrical thread. That's why I asked him to post a picture of its power cord, and he didn't deliver.

Edit: both the plug and outlet for this "appliance" have to be accessible too BTW.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

kid sinister posted:

You're right about it being a long time. Knob and tube allowed for in wall splices, but that's about it.

Also, you can get around a lot of the electrical code for fixtures like that by making them plug in appliances. That way, buried junctions suddenly become legal. We told him to do that in the electrical thread. That's why I asked him to post a picture of its power cord, and he didn't deliver.

I told you exactly what it would take for me to deliver, but since it wouldn't change your mind there was no point in delivering just to make you happy.

But if you'd open your eyes a bit you can see quite clearly in the very pic you quoted that there is an appliance cord connected to the junction box right there just waiting to be plugged in. The plug and outlet are just as accessible as a refrigerator. But this still won't change your opinion.

• Locked thread