Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JB50 posted:

Did you get ANY permits to do this work?

Isnt California crazy about getting permits for remodels? I only know this from listening to Adam Carolla.

Youll never be able to sell this house if this stuff isnt up to code.

If an inspector see you doing remods with no permits you can get into CRAZY trouble.

Yes. Therefore-

Son, come to Oklahoma. It's retarded libertarian, and no one will bother you one dadgummed bit how you do your goddamned house because we're all equal in the eyes of the Lord, we're all just DiY'ers trying to get by in our little multi-million $ sod huts like you got here. FACT: You do not have to be licensed to be a General contractor in Oklahoma. Anything else is don't ask, don't tell.

Bad Munki posted:

Ignorance is bliss, don't be afraid to rejoist in your work

lol you son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pissflaps posted:

So the idea is to have a bath with warm water constantly flowing into it?

How utterly wasteful.

What would you have flow into it, notorious forums troll Pissflaps, ants?

If I were OP, I'd set engineered rock to the wall near the tub and have a little waterfall going down that for the ambience.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm toying with a fix scenario for this that doesn't require ripping up the entire floor, and I'd like thread remodelers and folks with structural background to weigh in, please: it goes thusly: you're going to get some 2x8 lumber or rip down some 2x10, whatever the gap in the engineered joist material is- it has to fit snugly between the two sandwich ends of the engineered joists- this is important, but I'm assuming that those things are very accurately cut. Personally, I find the concept distasteful, even if they are enviro-conscious, they're loving flakeboard ffs. You will have to cut and reglue your black waste pipe. Eh, looks like you'll have to rerun your hot and cold feed lines also, and maybe you can notch for the romex.
Instead of ripping up the floor, you're going to go with a 2xwhatever the dimension is that is maybe 4-5 feet longer than your tub hole size depending on how long your arm is. You're going to cut a scarf joint in the middle of those. A scarf cut is a long diagonal, like 20-70, so maybe a 24" diagonal cut. You're going to then extend each bifurcated piece along each of the compromised engineered joists and screw to the flakeboard, toenail down into the good tee of the joist. Of course, you'll have to drill through all these to run your waste pipes and feed lines.
You should be able to run the 2 pieces a good ways beyond the cut out hole under the subfloor, sister them in, and screw as far back as your arm and a screwgun reaches. May have to hammer them in snug, and be careful you don't destroy the already compromised joists.
Then you can scab a piece of 3/4 plywood right along the scarf joint and past it say 6-12 inches either way.

Since I don't use Sketchup, this is sorta what I'm on about.

Do this for each compromised joist.

DiY wizards, what say ye?

edit- I call this an UglyasFuck Solution. Naturally

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Effective-Disorder posted:

I just reread and rethought on this. This most likely will not solve your problem for the same reasons the scarf joint sister project won't. With all of the parts in between, there is no way to be sure of it without knowing anything about how these parts are intended to interact. Like I said, they did the math, knowing all that they know, when they published that technical bulletin, and as follows, they can only account for the cases outlined there.

Also bathtub, incase you forgot. Bathtub right on top of the pivot point for the whole mess. Not good.

I apologize if I led you to some kind of hopeful idea about things by showing you that document, but my point was that your situation is way out of the scope considered there, and you'll definitely need someone who knows what they're doing to figure out a solution. And, even though your stalker was a total nutcase about it, he did have a point about inspections and permits. Those parts come with a stamp on them because someone did all the leg work on calculations for you. If you change those parts, that stamp doesn't mean gently caress all for insurance, permitting, etc. You could be setting yourself up for a serious financial issue down the road.

Ok sure thing Poindexter. Add glue to the screws and I'd bet a structural engineer other than Groverwould sign off on it no worries. Or you can bolt steel in the same way.

Ahaha. Thread delivers once again.:tipshat:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

The other thing I learned in remodeling/home repair adventures is that "code" isn't a pinnacle of perfect workmanship or overkill, it's the bare minimum for safety and function.

Agreed. I saw some homebuilt trusses one time that I thought wouldn't belong in a barn slated for demo, but was assured by the inspector they were up to code. Scabby rear end plates made of 1/2" plywood stapled at the joints.

*OP scribbles furiously*

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hubis posted:

Not as strong for equivalent cross-sectional area (ie looking at the end of the beam) or weight (given equal material).

What does this mean?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sharkytm posted:

It's pretty straightforward. I-beams are stronger than solids when you compare the two in cross-sectional area (the X-section of the I-beam would equate to a much smaller dimension solid) and in weight (an equivalent-weight solid would be much weaker than an I-beam of the same weight).

Well I kinda got the last part of that, but where OP was asking about a 4x10 and it looked like that post was saying the I-beam was stronger, I lost it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

I knew a guy who framed every wall with a double sill plate so he didn't need to find studs while installing baseboard. I'm not saying it's a reasonable solution, but every time I'm installing baseboard, I wish he had framed the wall.

Call BaSeMasterJ for all your baseboard needs today.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yeah that reminds me of when I was a pup and I put a nail through the baseboard and into a copper line for the terlet on a new home.
Nail sorta blocks the water but not until the house was carpeted did anyone notice
Good times :corsair::hf::mrgw:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Myrmidongs posted:

Please tell me you're not doing all this work only to not put a bidet in.

Dude, dude. That's Complete Bathroom Overhaul- New Beginnings

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Complete Bathroom Overhaul: Don't Leave for Tomorrow What Can Be Done Bidet

New thread title pls

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FogHelmut posted:

Doesn't seem right to just keep choosing contractors until you get one that agrees with you.

Said no one ever.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bad news. Contractor came back and said they found catnip insulation in the walls.

Gonna have to vacate the place for a week while they call in a 'Nip-Abatement crew.

Wow racist much? mods

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I believe most of them automatically turn on when you enter, then turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Usually right when you're in the middle of taking a poo poo and you haven't moved for 5 minutes, but you're too far away to trigger the sensor again.

5 minutes inactivity taking a poo poo? I'm pretty sure that's against code in SoCal

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's because he's gonna replace those joists with almonds.

almond joist, now with more nuts!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FogHelmut posted:

How does a Bonus Room compare to a Great Room? Not as good?

A Great Room is just like, one dude's opinion, Man.

Like, a room where one's mellow can never be harshed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just a big toilet bowl shaped bathtub with a chain dangling down where you can flush yourself down the drain into another tub one floor below.

Summoning MC Escher

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

In reasonably boring news, I took down my vanities and removed the hardibacker from the wall today in prep for the contractors to do the minor plumbing fixes needed and so it can be inspected later. Since the wall is off, i'm probably going to replace the mirror electrical boxes with adjustable boxes and I might swap out the brass pipes with some copper stubouts. That one is up in the air though since the brass ones are working and i'm not sure I have enough slack in the blue PEX on the right to make the switch without adding a coupler.

So far I've had 3 contractors come over and I've received one quote. I have another 3-4 contractors coming this week.

Were they giving you poo poo about hacking up those studs? This is a scenario where you can flip the cutout and sister in a cripple.

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

Why are your drainpipes level? Shouldn't that poo poo be angled to allow better flow and stop standing water and clogs and poo poo?

It's fine, Fuckface.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i don't care if it's the safest thing since safe came to safetown and the inspector will literally give you a blowjob the second they see it, but RUN THAT loving WIRE BETTER ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BEFORE I END YOU

SoundMonkey posted:

call me crazy but i'd just as soon not have a foot-and-a-half by four-foot section of wall that i'd always have to wonder before I drilled into because there's an electrical cable at some unknown point behind it

Boy needs a warrstrecher

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean it's in the spirit of the thread. just reef on it, there must be a bit of slack somewhere, right?

need a poindexter STAT to figure via the hypotenuse if 1" slack is enough

I mean, he's got some slop in the box too, right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

To bidet or not to bidet. That is the question.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

do people still install jacuzzi tubs in tyool 2017? i thought we were all aligning our chakras in hanging teardrop-shaped glass bathing vessels now or whatever.

every time i see one in a hotel i'm like poo poo yeah jacuzzi tub then end up just having a shower because i'm tired

I'm having a bath ATM in the whirlpool bath I installed, oh, 5-6 years ago and my chairs and tired old rear end are thanking. Tbf that was tyool 2012 a happier time

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Goddam autocorrect chakras you westernized piece of silicon

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm going to estimate your age at roughly 300

close enough

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Snak posted:

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface. And your rear end will be on its surface, blocking light from the reflector so it never gets to the focal point anyway.

Unless of course the ceiling mirror causes something like this...

Or as the English say, the foecal point, and I'll see myself out.....Steps off unfinished balcony shored up by compromised sisters, or as we call them, nuns

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Something went wrong with my tub install.

That's a portal to Hogwarts isn't it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's purely aesthetic. The infinity tub sounds nice, but its nothing that fancy.

c'mon dude, you can do better. How about a M.C. Escher tub?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

sup OP (@10:28)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ym3CEKyta4&t=609s

hot notched joist on unsafe joist action

That guy is Captain Irritating as gently caress Obvious, and while that butch job is in extremely poor form, the house isn't going to fall in from it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

MOLD FOR THE MOLD GOD

Porous rocks impregnated with silver will kill bacteria due to some sort of ionic wizardry. Plus OP can impress by drinking​ his date's bathwater knowing it has been sterilized. Win-win?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yep, and that's why you put your reno money in to the kitchen if you want to at least break even. There's must less subject to taste in that room and it gets used constantly. Bathrooms are what you reno when you have money to piss away or you intend to stay in your house for another 10 years so you "get your money back" through use.

Man, I read 'reno money in the kitchen' and thought that's a great way to describe gambling on a remodel, vegas money must be the bathroom. Dissapoint.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sneakyfrog posted:

really, you want to die on stainless steel hill?

New thread title pleas mods

edit

Prav posted:

it's a good place to die. easy to clean; won't leave any stains.

lol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Time for some :science:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

*Mr. Miyagi voice* Spore on, spore off!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

So, catching up with the thread, how's our b....Oh my stars. I see.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A bathtub in the dead middle of the room is about the stupidest design ever. I hated that aspect of OP's original bathroom too. It's just in the loving way of the traffic flow and it wastes an assload of floor space.

What kinda traffic flow we talkin here, Sparky? He's got assloads of space to waste cause his bathroom is bigger than average living quarters for 90% of the human race

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Oh, macrame. Even better. I can probably get one of my aunts to make me one.

I learned to crochet briefly when it was trendy in the dorms. It lasted all of one scarf, when I realized I was burning a lot of time I could have spent drawing instead.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nice. All I know about polyester is that growing up it seemed drat near immortal. In the 80s I was still inheriting ugly hand-me-down polyester clothes that were at least 10 years old and just wouldn't die. Couldn't be stained. The only hope of killing them was to get them to start to unravel.

This is now a thread about....thread. No short cuts.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

silicone thrills posted:

So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

http://imgur.com/a/sshEl

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

MY WIFE did all the tearout on ours, helped me drag the old tub out and set the new whirlpool bath. We had to cut the drywall to angle it in, but no studs were harmed. She also set the pedestal sink and textured and tiled the walls. Liberally, but it looks ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Bloop posted:

It is pretty ridiculous to plumb three or four separate drains for the same room.

:siren:Paging OP :siren:

• Locked thread