Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aye Doc posted:

the best kinds of cheating are those that fail spectacularly or succeed immensely. I guess in this post, I will be discussing some of the few true divine moments of cheating - the ones that succeed and fail to all-time great levels.

Rosie Ruiz's 2:31:56 time in the 1980 Boston Marathon would have been the third best marathon time for a woman ever, and the best time for a woman in the Boston Marathon ever. it was an improvement of about 25 minutes over her time in the New York Marathon earlier, which is an incredible leap. she would have been an inspirational story, an out-of-shape non-runner who managed to run the best 26 miles in female marathon history. if only she hadn't dipped into the crowd like half a mile in and re-emerge just before the finish line. she was questioned about a bunch of different things - her splits, what she remembered from running through a certain area and her conspicuously forgetting about the thousands of screaming Wesleyan University students, and a bunch of other very obvious basic running details a marathon runner breaking world records would probably know. she was still adamant she ran the marathon as of sometime in the 2000s, I don't know if she still is.
The 1904 Olympics in St Louis MO had one of the strangest finishes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1904_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_marathon

The favorite collapsed at mile 9, rode in a car back towards the stadium, then jogged in when enough time had passed. He was later disqualified when it was found out.

The eventual winner was carried across the line by his coaches, hallucinating due to dehydration, brandy mixed with rat poison, and his lungs hurting from having to run behind the coaches car while it kicked up dust from the dirt road. He got the gold because, well, he didn't ride in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Infidel Castro posted:

Jon Bois actaully did a Pretty Good on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

I had seen the Pretty Good of Georgia Tech's 222-0 game against Cumberland, I didn't realize it was a whole series. I have since watched all of them. Great stuff. And I remember him from Progressive Boink and the MLB AOL Instant Messenger chat logs.

That 222-0 game is a result of cheating so it counts for this thread. Cumberland played GT in baseball and hired a local semi-pro team to be ringers. Cumberland won 22-0, pissing off GT's baseball and football coach, a fella named John Heisman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Globetrotters are great and when my niece went to see them the other day they took pictures with her and signed a ball for her.

Also there is a rule in hockey about the stick blade dimensions. This led to an overturned goal in the finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1yT0poyys

Glorious hockey hair on the coach, and he's now rocking the classy sl icked back version.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DJExile posted:

Someone please dig up the Michael Jordan steroid thread

I loved the story about how he got pissed off at the actor / player who was the body double for the Gatorade commercial where old Jordan plays young Jordan.
The "You should have dunked it" was unscripted and angry.

• Locked thread