Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

(Piece found on Pinterest, credited to BelleDeesse)

Welcome to the thread for my first 4e campaign, "The Order of St. Caliphas". In this game, agents of a heroic order of monster hunters seek to battle the dark and demonic forces which terrorize the kingdom of Motavia. It's the kind of place where fog's always on the ground, the undead walk at night, and wrinkly old peasants speak cryptic warnings about the creatures of darkness.

Our heroes are:

Good Username Here as Aleksandria Maria Fedorovna-Anhalt-Gottorp-Zerbst, or really, just Aleksandria, Deva Avenger and rebellious noble.

Speolothing as Carlo Morisini, Human Fighter

Jolyne Cujoh as Georgie the Dragonborn Ardent

dont even fink about it as Brom the Bloody, Minotaur Paladin

and drrockso20 as Sachelhoffen, Deep Gnome Seeker

The game will play out on roll20, and our first order of business therefore will be to decide on a good weekly time. (Suggestion- I dunno, Friday's looking good?)

There will be OOC chat here, and for the sake of the peanut gallery I'll post some summaries of what's been going down.

Schedule Update: Playtime is Thursdays at 9:30 Central, 7:30 Pacific

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This will be my first ever Internet game with any hope of going past one session, and if this game actually gets started (no sign that it won't be) it will be my first forum game in many long years. Like 2007-ish.

Friday is good.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I don't get off until 5:30-5:45 PST on Fridays so I have a chance of being late if it starts before 6:30 (8:30 central) and will probably have to eat dinner during the game but I can make it work

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Sunday or a weeknight would be better for me, since I often go out on Fridays and Saturdays.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I don't get off until 5:30-5:45 PST on Fridays so I have a chance of being late if it starts before 6:30 (8:30 central) and will probably have to eat dinner during the game but I can make it work

Jolyne and I are coworkers and carpool together so same here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Sunday or a weeknight would be better for me, since I often go out on Fridays and Saturdays.

Hmm, Thursdays maybe?

And I'm definitely thinking at least 8 CDT.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most days I'm back from work at 6:30-7:00 PST.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

Most days I'm back from work at 6:30-7:00 PST.

So 9 CDT would probably work then, Thursdays ideal, Fridays less-than-ideal but doable, but question is for people in C and later zones, how late are you okay with being up? Two hours a session is an ideal but combats might drag it out longer.

Also possible, Sundays? I'm just going to put out as many options as possible so we can find one we all like.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Either of those work fine for me, though I would honestly prefer Sunday to Thursday.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Sunday evenings(PST) would be good for me, although almost any time can work

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

I can do Thursday but a weekend is preferred.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Good Username Here posted:

I can do Thursday but a weekend is preferred.

Would that include Sunday? On a similar note, dont even fink about it, do you work Sundays? Because I'm thinking an early Sunday evening thing might actually be the best option.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Would that include Sunday? On a similar note, dont even fink about it, do you work Sundays? Because I'm thinking an early Sunday evening thing might actually be the best option.

Yeah, Sunday's definitely a weekend. Saturday / Sunday are my best days since it has no chance I'll be a bit cranky after work, but any day is viable if those can't work.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't work Sunday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'm starting to think Sunday, 8 PM Central?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 20, 2017

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

Am or Pm? Pm would work, 8am would be 6am my time and that's way too early to do things on a Sunday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, PM, sorry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sounds good to me, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So all five players seem to be okay with this. I'm going to go ahead and say We will be meeting in Roll20 on Sundays at 8 PM CDT.

Until then I'll be setting everything up and I'll post some more general background info here.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

It'd be great if you could post a recruitment link or something to the roll20 so we can set up macros before the game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Good Username Here posted:

It'd be great if you could post a recruitment link or something to the roll20 so we can set up macros before the game.

Oh, right. (As I mentioned earlier I'm new to running anything in Roll20 so I'm not used to all of it.)

Is this right?

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

It works in theory, but I'm more used to the player link that automatically adds you to the game that's in the chat when you first make/enter the campaign as a DM

is what it looks like, it's in the spoilered area, you need to mouse over it to see it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Right! Here it is!

https://app.roll20.net/join/1035236/zSO91Q

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
On the topic of making macros and stuff, could you make journal entries for all our characters so we can do that stuff? as long as no one's a jokester just setting them to be editable by everybody should work well enough. I've got some real fancy 4e macros that I might be able to set up for everybody (or at least get the bones set up for everybody)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What Everyone Knows About Motavia

The Kingdom of Motavia sits in a small, wooded, mountainous region north of the Tyrian Sea. It was founded in the year 1030 (Arkayan Reckoning) by King Kristof I, who repelled an invasion from Greater Arkaya to the north. Motavia, Arkaya, and many border nations are remnants of the ancient Atlantean Empire. Greater Arkaya is the largest and most prosperous nation of the bunch, hence they get the calendar, but the two are separated by a mountain range and have a more limited, cautiously friendly contact now.

The nation is also bordered by Bolga to the West, Urtusk to the East, and Inkrash on the Southeast. The year is 1681, and the current King is Tybalt III, who was crowned some 28 years ago.

The technology level is about Renaissance-era; the printing press exists, as does gunpowder (crossbows and such can be reflavored as flintlocks and muskets, though bows still exist.)

The Order of St. Caliphas

St. Caliphas lived in ancient times, between the fall of Atlantea and the rise of the current nations. In this time the land was overrun by demons and their worshippers. Caliphas was a priest of Bahamut who helped rally a great army to close a portal to the Abyss. He was mortally wounded in battle, but before he died, managed to dictate the principles of the Order-

quote:

"Fight to protect the living, and be ready to die for them. Welcome all who wish to aid us, whichever god they serve. Be vigilant, be wise, and never let fear rule over love."

Caliphas was buried at an Abbey north of what would become the Motavian city of Belgras, and this Abbey is now the Order's central headquarters. The current Abbot is Father Arbuthnot, 54 years of age.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm having second thoughts about Sundays because it's the only day of the week I'm not supposed to be somewhere and I'd like to have it to myself. I will do this Sunday, but will miss April 2 regardless and would like to talk about moving the game around again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I also updated my ability scores because I remembered that as a Wisdom pally there's no reason for me to have Dex.

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/8084

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay the game starts in about 30 minutes so again the link:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Everyone has macros now! They're in the powers tab of your character sheet! Press the buttons and check them out!

Also because I was making one for Georgie and it took less than a minute to make the rest, here's matching tokens for all of the PCs

Sachelsomething

Alex

Broom

Carl

Georgie

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Laptop decided it needed a break. Will try to connect via ipad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay the game starts in about 30 minutes so again the link:

Sorry for not showing up, had some stuff come up in RL, also didn't realize we'd be starting so early:blush:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Sorry for not showing up, had some stuff come up in RL, also didn't realize we'd be starting so early:blush:

The way we started off I may be able to slip you in next time- if your character has a good reason for hanging around the small 'berg of Konneth, perhaps a member of the Order off on assignment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

The way we started off I may be able to slip you in next time- if your character has a good reason for hanging around the small 'berg of Konneth, perhaps a member of the Order off on assignment.

That sounds reasonable, mind giving a quick recap on what happened this session?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
We got sent to a place to investigate missing persons and fought a really big zombie that could have one-shot the defenders but luckily the healer and striker had enough HP to tank the hits (???) and then we beat up a bunch of zombies and met a mayor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Previously on the Order of St. Caliphas

Our team of rookie monster hunters was sent to the town of Konneth, to investigate a horrific murder. They arrived at sunset just in time to find the town under attack from an army of undead, led by a large hulking zombie giant. [Note: I did the encounter math wrong, and the Hulking Zombie is a level 4 monster which is, as a rule, too high. It's two levels above the party as a good cap, not three. Of course the DMG says 7, I don't know what Wyatt was thinking.] Aleksandra leapt into melee with the beast while the others defended the town square; she was immediately pummeled near to death by the brute, but held her ground, and with some assistance from Georgie, triumphed over the hulking monster in a near-solo fight that will no doubt be remembered by the witnesses for years to come. (Georgie seems happy enough to stay out of the limelight.) Meanwhile Carlo Morosini wrestled a zombie to death Brom put down one, and the last was sort of a collaboration. Also a skeleton tried to step away from Aleksandra and exploded.

For the moment the town is safe, but we still don't know what's happening. The mayor has approached the party, for what we don't know.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 27, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay so there was some talk of finding a different time slot but I haven't heard anything new- but fink/Brom was also saying April 2 (this Sunday) may be no good? Is that still the case? And if so what's everyone else's take on running v. postponing? I'm more or less ready to go then but just "ping"ing everyone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay so there was some talk of finding a different time slot but I haven't heard anything new- but fink/Brom was also saying April 2 (this Sunday) may be no good? Is that still the case? And if so what's everyone else's take on running v. postponing? I'm more or less ready to go then but just "ping"ing everyone.

I'm fine with most any time in the evenings after say 7 or 8 PM (PST to be specific), earlier than that is possible if necessary though

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to do a thing in LibreOffice to put on Google Drive so we can coordinate so maybe that'll make it clear to everyone.

Big issue seems to be the time difference- it's only two hours, but it means 7 for rockso or fink is 9 for those of us in Central. This means that anything longer than two hours is taking us into the wee small ones which will be an issue for those who have work the next day.

Then again if we do get voice chat that may make things run faster.

Anyway next session should have more time for social interaction, I wanted to start things off with a big fight scene but now that's handled.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm basically having a mini-vacation today that was originally going to involve Wrestlemania but is now a movie day with a friend because the Mania card is rubbish. I am perfectly OK if you guys do a week without me, but I would like to move off of Sunday because I don't really like the idea of every day of my week being spoken for in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so yeah- Fink won't be around, should we do tonight or reschedule? Do a short RP-heavy session while we look for other dates?

I'll be in the game at 8 as usual so I'll see you there and figure things out.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread