Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, I bought another one. But, unlike the last, I immediately corrected my #1 issue with the gun:

Let's tool up. And make a note to better label the tooling drawers. This is the only labeled one. By "labeled" I mean "has a rag on the handle." The note can be left in a drawer.

The front sight sight base on a Hi-Point carbine set screws to the barrel. It works okay but can let the sight get bumped out of alignment more easily than is ideal. So we'll just dimple the barrel where the screws marred the finish. Don't even have to mark anything. Thick-ish drill to avoid it flexing, chucked as deeply as possible for the same, and centered well to avoid walking. And set the stop to avoid cutting too deep and wrecking the barrel.

I've got a proby coming any minute now so I'll TL/DR: It works, mags don't drop free, son likes it better than the .380, daughter likes the mousegun better, the bolt is different than that in the 3895, it's going into a bullpup chassis ASAP, and will eventually get rebarreled to 357 Sig. Oh, it's also a bucket of fun. I'll flesh out the this post as this clamroll of a project scoots along.

While waiting for NICS to clear, the kids and I bummed around the used gun racks. My son spotted a Umarex "Uzi" complete with fake can and folding stock. I started to tell him that it was a stupid pile of potmetal before the irony caught up to me. So I just admitted it looked fun for a friend to own and herded them to the ammo shelves.

Someone with talent should turn this image into a file I can have made into a stencil. It will be needed when the bullpup chassis arrives.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Reserved for spergery.

The Bolt:

Surprisingly distinct from that in the 3895.

It features an integral brass deflector to the rear of the ejection port. You can see the dings from case mouth impacts. Also a view of the extractor composed of two stacked pieces of sheet steel. The inset nut is threaded so the bolt sleeve mounting bolt engages steel rather than Zamak 3.

The Mags:

See the notch in the front of the follower? It's to clear the plastic spacer block better seen in the loaded mag. This spacer runs down the length of the mag body. Why spacer? Because the 40 caliber Hi-Point mags are based on the the 45 caliber mag bodies. In fact, this carbine is made on a larger frame than the 9mm/380.

See the sloped tip of the spacer block? It's a feed ramp to prevent the case mouth from hanging up on the frontstrap of the mag body while feeding.

While the 9mm and .380 carbines use their own unique magazines, the .40 and .45 models use the same mags as the pistols. Ten rounds in the forty and nine in the forty-five. Redball Sports is rumored to be releaseing extended capacity mags by the end of spring.

The Rear Sight:

Is a decent sight, to be honest. But it is longer than it needs to be and takes up a bunch of rail space. This will be remedied. Three 3/32" screws and one 108 flathead hold it to the rail. The flathead screw is also the elevation adjustment and fits the slot somewhat snugly to give click adjustment. That's my note-to-self when it comes time to chop it up.

Also worth noting the plastic insert with yellow elevation markings that the peep rides in. On the classic carbines and early TS models, it was spring steel.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2017

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

risen from the garbage. the scum of the hive cluster - alive. i am it. i have ascended.
i am scrunt

attributed to scrunt but not actually possible as scrunts not capable of self awareness or rational thought

hi-speed low drag

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

hi-speed low drag

I really don't see the point.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Miso Beno posted:

I really don't see the point.

After removing a completely negligible amount of material, the 4095TS weighs 7 lb 13 oz loaded.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

risen from the garbage. the scum of the hive cluster - alive. i am it. i have ascended.
i am scrunt

attributed to scrunt but not actually possible as scrunts not capable of self awareness or rational thought

look i just want to see the thing in that bullpup chassis from the tacticlol thread thats why anyone is really here

so

as soon as it gets in lets see some photos and maybe a video

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I took some range video right after picking it up to try sucking less when the glorious day comes. And this one has the lightest out of the box trigger I've ever felt on a Hi-Point carbine. So maybe it will only get as bad as a regular one once saddled with a trigger linkage.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

....f....gently caress you, man.

I can't look away. It's magnificent. It's terrible. It's glorious. It's abhorrent.

Do your worst.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

You should totally ream it out to 10mm.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Paint this one exactly opposite of the other harlequin one

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Butch Cassidy posted:

trigger linkage.

So you're getting the spacegun kit?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Butch your hi point threads make me question my decision to build a 9mm AR, when I could have just got a 9mm carbine and gone to town loving with it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You'll wind up with a better gun but mine are cheap and warrantied if when I blow them up.

TopherCStone posted:

So you're getting the spacegun kit?

Money is in my account and ready to pay the moment the e-mail comes in that they're ready to take orders.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

That ain't a noodle, chirpy!

When I handled hi points, the detail that left the biggest impression was how slippery the things were. So good on you for already having new furniture plans. The people buying them all said they were fun on a bun so no more judgements from me!

Shine on you crazy star!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll leave the next adjustment to a vote:

[ ] Remove top of the front sight hood to make it HK-ish. As-is, it works fine as an irons-only setup but gets cluttered with a red dot. So it's getting a haircut.

[ ] chop the front end of the rear sight assembly to leave more rail space and get rid of unecessary material.

[ ] Load some 155 grain LSWC to see if they'll feed.

[ ] Lower front sight tower and crank rear sight down to get closer to a lower-third cowitness with the Centerpoint red/green dot.

[ ] File a slot in the underbarrel rail to mount a TLR-1.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Option 3

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I still rank the .45 carbine I shot as the worst gun I have ever fired. But I do like watching you do weird things with them.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'm gonna go with option 3 as well. Goofy handloads in hi-point carbines are kind of your thing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Reserved for spergery.

I can't get over how god damned huge that ejection port and bolt is.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

At the rear of the ejection port, over the exctractor/s, is an integral brass deflector. Which evidently works because mine already shows signs of case mouths dinging it. The 3895 lacks that extra bit of mass.

The 3895's bolt also lacks the ridge along the top of the ejection port.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Voting 3 as well.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Selection made:

[x] Load some 155 grain LSWC to see if they'll feed.

Let's start at the beginning with load development!

Projectiles - 155 grain lead semi-wadcutter, pre-lubed. Supplied by a goon in a plastic baggie so no idea what make, hardness, or lube.

Powder - Hodgdon HS-6 because I like it in 40 S&W, have a jug, and it is already in the powder hopper on the toolhead.

Powder Charge - 6.9 grains because the hopper is already set to throw that for my coated 180 grain loads. Yes, it's a bit hot to nearly velocity match 180 grain HST. No, I'm not working up an optimal charge for the SWC.

Brass - Assorted

Primer - Winchester standard small pistol

C.O.A.L. - hosed if I remember and am not walking across the room to look at my binder or digging out calipers to measure the dummy sitting here.

Batch Size - Let's go with twenty-one

Notes - Only my USP and USP compact feed these reliably, possibly the Shield but it has a hosed ejector so hard to say until I get off my rear end and have it repaired. The 96D chokes regularly and the Glocks don't reliably feed SWC either. Will also need to reverse the seating die insert for the SWC and likely adjust seating depth. Also HANG A TAG THAT NOTES THE DIE IS SET FOR THE SWC AND MUST BE RESET BEFORE LOADING ANY 180 GRAIN.

There is some holster work and actual job overtime in my way this week, so a range report will be delayed...

...Please make next selection while process is queued:

[ ] Remove top of the front sight hood to make it HK-ish. As-is, it works fine as an irons-only setup but gets cluttered with a red dot. So it's getting a haircut.

[ ] Chop the front end of the rear sight assembly to leave more rail space and get rid of unecessary material.

[ ] Lower front sight tower and crank rear sight down to get closer to a lower-third cowitness with the Centerpoint red/green dot.

[ ] File a slot in the underbarrel rail to mount a TLR-1.

E: OP updated.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2017

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

Grimey Drawer

[X] File a slot in the underbarrel rail to mount a TLR-1.

In case you need it to repel boarders at night.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gizmojumpjet posted:

[X] File a slot in the underbarrel rail to mount a TLR-1.

gently caress you. Just got home and decided to quickly do this before bed. Opened a Genesee cream ale and proceeded to hate the world for the next while.

Widening the slot was one thing. Widening it more to shift the light a hair further forward and rasping the support ridges at the stock end to clear the battery cap was an unforseen pain.

I could have used one slot forward but then would have had less guatding for the rocker switch.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Aaaaand I just snapped the front sight base to pieces. All I wanted to do was stamp "NM" on the right side but the casting wasn't up for hammer strikes. Whoops.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Aaaaand I just snapped the front sight base to pieces. All I wanted to do was stamp "NM" on the right side but the casting wasn't up for hammer strikes. Whoops.

Send 'er back to Hi-Point for repair

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

I could have used one slot forward but then would have had less guatding for the rocker switch.
is that a typo or are we in the firefly universe now

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

gently caress you. Just got home and decided to quickly do this before bed. Opened a Genesee cream ale and proceeded to hate the world for the next while.

Widening the slot was one thing. Widening it more to shift the light a hair further forward and rasping the support ridges at the stock end to clear the battery cap was an unforseen pain.

Your tears taste like sugar to me.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

i'm so glad this is ongoing

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Why the stamp? Reminder to Never Mind this junker?

also lol hi point

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Eh, I've seen M1 carbine receivers broken with less force. Versus slamming a punch into the thin bit of a surprisingly hard cast sight adjustment slot. I wound up striking it pretty hard.

The NM was going to be a National Match forgery for my now custom front sight post.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

M1 carbine receivers shouldn't exactly be your golden standard for durability.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or general reliability yet they get a pass because

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Or general reliability yet they get a pass because

Eh, they aren't particularly bad on this front. I've never had reliability problems with mine, and any buddies who had them were fixed with either a new set of springs, a new mag, or a new extractor. I tend not to worry about milsurp with that since most of the time you're shooting an antique thats had god knows how much use.

Unless you're talking commercial carbines, in which case anything goes. Those can be a shitshow.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

i_void_warranties.jpg

Anyway, let's talk about the front sight post. It looks like this:

You can see that I've marked it.

Because this is the sight picture with my R/GDS.

But that is nothing a bandsaw and can of grill paint can't correct. Yeah, I'm not color correcting a photo of chopped Hi-Point parts. I left flux on and didn't notice until posting it elsewhere. It is now blued up but gently caress rehosting.

Now it looks like this. Or would if I hadn't unintentionally bobbed the sight base. And I suck at Inkscape. Deal with it.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Did the TLR-1 cost more than the gun?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

You really should contact Hi-Point about starting up a custom shop with you as the manager.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Then do some IDPA conversions on the handguns and start up Team Hi-Point!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My schedule has been a nightmare as expected so let's look at the mag. while the LSWC test is queued. 40 caliber with green follower, 45 caliber with orange. Both images exposed for background and underexposed for subject because I wasn't dicking around properly dialing it in. Was also not digging out the reflector to set angling down opposite the window and fill some of the shadow:

The 4095/JCP mag has a differently colored follower with added ramp on the front, extractor groove nubbin thingy farther forward, and the little tabs in front of the feed lips are thicker.

Not sure that the angle is any more extreme on the 40 caliber mags, but the tips of the tabs to protrude farther in to centerline, the followers are shorter front-to-back as there is a spacer to clear, and the feed lips are longer. The latter is good because I feel like 357 Sig could use all the control it can get to feed in line when I finally get this thing rebarreled.

The mags also seat in either caliber carbine, or pistol for that matter. An owner of both may want to positively mark them to avoid taking the wrong ones to the range at best and potentially firing a 40 S&W in a 45 ACP chamber at worst. The guy that loaned me the 4595/JHP mag does have two 4595s and a 4095 so I'll mention it to him when I return it.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Did the TLR-1 cost more than the gun?

No. The Aimpoint that will be going on it did, though.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Somebody made this video. I don't know why but I'm happy to know such a person is out there somewhere.

On that note, the rear sight has been shortened!

E: We should give credit to the lowly belt sander that also helped out.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread