Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I made a dummy round and the 4095 chambered it slicker 'n poo poo. Twenty-one live cartridges immediately followed. Next up, the range to see what happens.

E: All fed and fired with an average velocity of 1,200 FPS.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

never stop

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Is it just me or is that pretty mundane. 155 grain 40 s&w cartridges seem to Chrono round that. Maybe you need like 20% more powder.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Keep pushing that poo poo!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DakianDelomast posted:

Is it just me or is that pretty mundane. 155 grain 40 s&w cartridges seem to Chrono round that.

It is. I just used the powder charge for my usual 180 grain load, flipped the seater plug to the SWC end, and set the seating depth by eye to about the same as an HST. I'll leave ill-advised handloads to the 3895. I can now say that a Hi-Point feeds more reliably than my Glocks, though. Until now, only my USP and USP compact would feed SWC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It's like watching a car or house restoration project except it's a new gun.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Butch Cassidy posted:

I made a dummy round and the 4095 chambered it slicker 'n poo poo. Twenty-one live cartridges immediately followed. Next up, the range to see what happens.

E: All fed and fired with an average velocity of 1,200 FPS.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It's like watching a car or house restoration project except it's a new gun.

And in reverse, we're watching someone take their brand new car and turn it into some abomination with cut springs, a huge spoiler and a bunch of Japanese stickers on the rear window corresponding with parts that aren't necessarily installed in the car.

Naturally, this means that gun needs a massive, deafening muzzle brake.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Soupisgood posted:

And in reverse, we're watching someone take their brand new car and turn it into some abomination with cut springs, a huge spoiler and a bunch of Japanese stickers on the rear window corresponding with parts that aren't necessarily installed in the car.

Yeah, but in this world that new car is one of those bizarro ultra cheap foreign market only things like the Chevy Sail.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

One of those Indian ones made of wood fiber.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, now I want to see a bunch of motor heads do a full conversion of a Tata Nano into something cool.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Someone would find a way to drop an LS into it

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Someone would find a way to drop an LS into it

He's converting his rifle to .45-70?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Please be in forty, please be in forty, please be in forty. And 380 ACP.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Butch Cassidy starter pack http://www.gunbroker.com/item/637038423

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, now I want to see a bunch of motor heads do a full conversion of a Tata Nano into something cool.

Have you seen the poo poo people do with Trabants?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soupisgood posted:

Hey granpa! I think you means Slammed, got a fin, and JDM as fuuuuck

Pitch posted:

One of those Indian ones made of wood fiber.

don't you mean BAKEalite bro

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The customer is always right!

Since moving to an actual neighborhood, my lack of cases has been on my mind. An excuse to get one sized for stubby polymer carbines. Too lazy to tag the AR with shortened Cav-15 out of the safe and confirm it also fits.

And an aluminum VFG! It came with a spacer to make it longer but nooope. I have to do stupid things to fit the 4095 in the case with it mounted at regular length. The hollow will be nice for a boresnake and the charging handle bolt wrench, though. The latter point making me hesitant to plop the grip on a band saw table and stubify it.

Curious if this will still fit in the case once bullpupped and wearing an Aimpoint PRO. It's already tall enough to not want to fit. But Gus-Gus still fits easily so it'll be of use toting Zamak guns not matter what.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

What did you want done with that graphic in the OP? Ill get my designer on it

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A couple layers to print and cut a stencil for the bullpup chassis whenever it finally releases. Or a decal that could be applied and probably look better.

Just saw the explosible graphic on a cast thingy in a workshop and needed it involved with a Hi-Point on some level.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Some beautiful bastard is contemplating a 40 Super build on a 4595 base rifle using a reamed 4095 barrel.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

They should make one in 10mm just to satisfy the need to shoot more money in ammo in an afternoon than the base gun costs.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Flatland Crusoe posted:

They should make one in 10mm just to satisfy the need to shoot more money in ammo in an afternoon than the base gun costs.

If that's what you want then the .40 super is better. That stuff is right up around $1/shot.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Don't give them ideas. If they announce a 357 Sig carbine after I finish this project the hard way, I'm going to flip a table.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

Don't give them ideas. If they announce a 357 Sig carbine after I finish this project the hard way, I'm going to flip a table.

357 Sig carbine would rock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The bullpup chassis will, obviously, not be compatible with Hi-Point's stock mounted clips. So I'll just have to make a mag. pouch for my belt:

Also fits 4595 mags and I'm tempted to list Hi-Point mag pouches for all carbines on my site. But then I'd need to come up with a model name and manufacture standards that are quick and easy with lesser finish to price low enough owners might buy the fool things. Also need to come up with a better channel blank for the mag. catch cutout. At least they work great with fixed retention so I don't need to put the extra time and money into rubberized spacer sleeves and Chicago screws.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I tried to get along with the starboard sling mounts that are the only factory option from Hi-Point. It was just to fiddly as anything but a carry strap. As you all know, I obviously need to quickly get the gun off my shoulder and ready to fire. Or to sling it at ready across my chest. To the workshop! Because I ain't gonna die in no ghetto:

As you can see, the press-fit nuts are on the port side so the factory sling loops can only thread in from starboard. Threading something in from the port side would leave the halves of stock in that section unsecured and just pull the nut out with any tension. So, I removed the bolt, partly threaded the sling loop in, and tapped it with the butt of a screwdriver to knock the nut free. I then pressed the nut into the starboard side with a clamp and threaded the sling loop in on the left as God intended. Tightening the sling loop pulled the nut to its proper seating depth in the stock and it was done.

The front loop presented a problem. MoM wants you to use the foremost nut top mount the loop but that would be ahead of and tangle the sling in my VFG. Can't have that so I used the next one back just posterior of the vertical grip. The ribs on the handguard were problematic for the added depth and fact they slot is narrower than the head of the sling loop. The former problem was solved by threading the loop into the left side, slotting a junker screwdriver through it, and yanking the son of a whoring nut out. It was similarly press-fit into the right side with a clamp before threading the loops in to use as a punch and tap it to its seating depth. The sling loop was then unscrewed and installed on the port side. With an old allen key slipped through the loop, the plastic ribs crushed out of the way while tightening. Bam! A port-side sling.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

The bullpup chassis will, obviously, not be compatible with Hi-Point's stock mounted clips. So I'll just have to make a mag. pouch for my belt:

Also fits 4595 mags and I'm tempted to list Hi-Point mag pouches for all carbines on my site. But then I'd need to come up with a model name and manufacture standards that are quick and easy with lesser finish to price low enough owners might buy the fool things. Also need to come up with a better channel blank for the mag. catch cutout. At least they work great with fixed retention so I don't need to put the extra time and money into rubberized spacer sleeves and Chicago screws.
Haha, yes!

Model name could be "The Low-Point"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Haha, yes!

Model name could be "The Low-Point"

Doesn't Colt use that trademark?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Parts Kit posted:

...Model name could be "The Low-Point"

Unfortunately, the owners seem to be an easily offended lot.

By the way, I wore the Hi-Point hat during Easter dinner. I'd put it on as a beater while tending the charcoal grill and forgot to ditch it when guests showed up and we set the picnic table.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

To hell with the full-length VFG, it was mildly inconvenient. I'll find another way to secure the Hi-Point tool to the gun and chop the grip:

Then round the O.D. on a bench sander to deburr, introduce the I.D. burr to a swively knife to bevel, and rub with a scotch brite pad to finish it off. Not even going to paint the end

It fits nicely in the case, now. But is missing a poorly advised, overly long protuberance. I need to balance every valid decision with a questionable one. The 15-round Promag I just ordered should fill that bill.

I also finally worked up the gumption to call MoM about a new front sight base*. Customer service was totally unflappable as I told them exactly how I broke it and that I wanted to order a new one. They took my address and asked if there were any more items I needed so I had a spare firing pin in the order. Payment was refused and I was told to expect my parts in 3-5 business days.

* The current one was donated by my hippie buddy with the stipulation I give him the replacement whenever it arrived. He runs an optic and no irons on his 4095 at the moment so had it lying in a parts box.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

Unfortunately, the owners seem to be an easily offended lot.

By the way, I wore the Hi-Point hat during Easter dinner. I'd put it on as a beater while tending the charcoal grill and forgot to ditch it when guests showed up and we set the picnic table.
Haha nice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I haven't even tried shooting with the 15-round Promags I just got and already regret them. They won't seat without depressing the mag release. While I hate sleeves on extended mags, the ones on these act as over-insertion stops and are necessary. But they also like to slip up and prevent the mags seating unless you remember to wrap your pinkie under so I electrical taped them to the baseplates. Caseheads present high enough that they bump into the bottom of the firing pin/ejector when seated under an open bolt. Sounds like a recipe for bent firing pin. Oh, and a feed lip on one is flared outward at one corner fresh out of the package. The external dimensions are different than OEM and too fat to fit in my kydex mag pouch*.

I knew I was buying Promag but they somehow still managed to fall short of my all but noexistant expectations. Maybe, just maybe, they will at least feed when I get to the range after work this weekend.

* Being honest, I bought two to confirm fit or not and be able to blank one as a mold with the other as Q.C. fit test for my holster shop. gently caress my life, I'm going to have to explicitly list Promag in my portfolio.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

"ProMag: We're not even good enough for Hi-Points"

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I still want a supressor made out of (or stuffed into) tiny garbage cans.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Parts Kit posted:

"ProMag: We're not even good enough for Hi-Points"

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Or a brass catcher.

ed: for a suppressor what you should use is an old soup can.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Or a brass catcher.

ed: for a suppressor what you should use is an old soup can.

oooooooooooooooh man thanks for the idea.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Heh, the Promag I marked with a trashcan doodle (same as with the hosed feed lips) was a total dumpster fire and was immediately thrown downrange. I then went to ten-round factory mags for a while. A buddy and I each ran a full load through the second Promag and it looked promising. Will have to shoot with it some more to see if it will be a range mag or solely a mag pouch mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Stop talking about you and your buddy dropping loads, gross.

• Locked thread