Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tender Child Loins posted:

So Shannon and Kanon are in the same scene together, with Battler and Poirot-Lolita. Hmm. There goes that theory.

Not so. What if either Shannon or Kanon are in a Sakutarou situation, where one is imagining that the other one is there even though they don't exist? Wasn't the theory about Shannon and Kanon being the same person based on them not ever really being separate from each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

curiousCat posted:

Bernkastel's smiles are unnerving.

eta: Krauss isn't listed in the bodies or alive in the parlor.

Simple. Krauss is human Bernkastel. It wouldn't be the first time that he took someone else’s identity (see: the previous game where he inherited Kinzo's name).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait was it confirmed it was Krauss who took Kinzo's name. (Or is this just a joke.)

I think it was. I'm part joking that Krauss is human Bernkastel's character, part serious.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Krauss accidentally killed everyone after they found out about his business ventures, causing whoever heard them to either die from laughter or rage at the incompetence. He had no choice but to shoot them with shotguns after the fact to make it seem like he meant to kill them.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rodyle posted:

Excuse you all Beato faces are cute

Red truth.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Nice catch, Eleanore. :aaa:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't think having a surprise son would be possible for Natsuhi. She would have nine whole months to find out that one was coming.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Welp, this update looks like the final nail in the coffin for the Kanon=Shannon theory. We've been told in red that save for Erika, the number of people in this game is exactly the same as in the previous games, and Battler, who we consider our only reliable viewpoint has personally seen everyone in the same room.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's only Battler who assumes that the amount of people on the island is 18. Lambdadelta only says in red that "the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island." That's it. Shannon = Kanno theory is not dead yet.

But it is interesting that Battler has officially been replaced with a character who is the detective. Whatever immunity Battler has been enjoying from suspicion as the main character is gone now. :twisted:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hey, Nanjo pulls that outfit off better than I would. I actually think Gaap might perhaps be a personification of the old demon spirits of Rokkenjima.

Anyway, are we back to epitaph time? I found it really hard to proceed while thinking abstractly about it, so I wrote it down and was able to visualize the rest of it a lot better. (:rip: my beloved theory, DR LOU) Again, all of this is contingent on two big assumptions: 1) Kinzo grew up in Taipei and 2) the "key" is Qilian, a station along the Freshwater / Tamsui train line. Simply by the existence of Google Maps, this level of reasoning is possible for TCL. What do you think, goons?

This is a good post, and I really wanted to believe in Dr. Lou theory. Maybe Nanjo traveled to America and picked up a cool nickname? Umineko is all about resurrections.

This thread is truly golden. :allears:

My theory for the epitaph is that it requires knowledge of kanji characters and removing certain strokes from the characters ("gouging and killing" certain body parts = removing the brush stroke) and turning one character into another. The kanji characters come from the adult characters' names because the characters used to spell their names in Japanese were spelled out in their introductions. This probably doesn't include the grandchildren (George, Jessica, Battler, Maria) because I remember that Rosa said that Kinzo was pissed that Rosa named her daughter after a western name, which means that Kinzo is probably pissed that his cool kanji-based epitaph doesn't line up perfectly with his remaining heirs. Meta-gaming is essentially my theory. Prove me wrong, Erika.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mmmphpmmm. OMMM DSSSSSRM.

It's the strangled "OH DESIRE" that gets me. Beautiful. :vince:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Erika is the worst.

ArashiKurobara posted:

Beatrice. Beatrice you are not Sailor Moon stop that.

#letbeatricebesailormoon

ArashiKurobara posted:

Actually. I just remembered a second ago.

... Natsuhi is voiced by Emi Shinohara, IIRC. Who was also the original voice of Sailor Jupiter. (And for what it's worth, Beatrice's voice actress, Sayaka Ohara, is the remake Sailor Neptune.)

That's actually pretty cool! Never knew about that.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I love the fantastic discussion of other mystery novels. The only ones I can comment on are the Sherlock Holmes stories, and how they displayed British imperialist attitudes and fear of otherness/the exotic of the time period they were made in, but I'm always glad to learn more.

Now I got to share this theory about our mysterious crank caller, so here goes.

ABSOLUTELY BASELESS THEORY OF THE IDENTITY OF ANGRY OINTMENT-RUBBING CRANK CALLER: Jessica or Kannon. I'm leaning more towards Jessica because she has a noticeably (according to the game's narration) male pattern of speaking, and she would know the interior of the house and furniture well enough in order to pull off that card-behind-the-clock trick. Same goes for Kanon, but I think Jessica would know what Natsuhi's favorite season was more so than Kanon.

Crank caller says they are 19 years old, but Jessica or Kannon could be claiming that in order to reference a mysterious event in Natsuhi's life. The voice was also described to be ambiguous about whether it belonged to someone who was female or male, and Jessica and Kannon, as young people, could both fit that role quite well.

Now, as for why they would want to mess with Natsuhi? I'm honestly not sure, so I shall present another baseless theory.

ANOTHER BASELESS THEORY ABOUT WHAT THE CRANK CALLER'S RUB IS: Maybe Kannon is Natsuhi's abandoned child? He gets adopted into Kinzo personal orphan house and later gets hired to work on Rokkenjima because desire or something. (Perhaps Kinzo liked Kannon when he found him in the furniture catalog, who knows.) Maybe Jessica and/or Kannon (Jessica is empathetic towards Kannon so she could turn on her mom) are pissed at this treatment, and do some mean pranks on Natsuhi.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 31, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

I've got some not-great medical poo poo going on right now, but all this means for the LP is that I'm at home and on narcotics with nothing else to do than take screencaps, so if anything this will make the update pace more stable.

Being sick sucks. Hope you feel better soon!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BurningStone posted:

Now I want Gohda to make me an omelet.

Don't we all, BurningStone? Don't we all?

In regards to caller theory, I'm still going with Jessica being involved with it somehow even if she is now dead (according to Battler). Maybe the rest of the phone calls are Natsuhi's delusions.

Also, no, who would kidnap Krauss? Give him back, you jerk(s)! I know it's ridiculously easy to trick him to fall for whatever you say, but still!

...They probably took Krauss by telling him that the candy bar in the steel cage was his if he went inside.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh nope, it was originaly "Ten little N***" and even the island was "N*** Island"

Yeah.

Rereading old literature from back then is always a special treat, because it's easy to go from "hey cool I'm going to be rereading the classics :)" to ":gonk:" in a very short amount of time.

CottonWolf posted:

I appreciate the craft in that one. I'm just not keen on how... broad the solution is. If the answer to Umineko is functionally the same as the Orient Express, that's basically the only outcome I'd find disappointing. At least the red text has at least ruled out the most extreme Orient Express-eqsue answers.

Honestly I'm expecting an Orient Express type of solution to Umineko, because there are so many sketchy people with their own goals and plots to enact them. After all...

(And not even Krauss is immune to scheming, as we have seen with the whole 'Kinzo is still alive' idea.)

I love Gohda though. He still continues to be the best character by far. :allears:

quote:

He must have been extremely happy about thinking of something Kanon hadn't. Looking pleased with himself as though he had won something, he glanced around at everyone. He was probably hoping that Natsuhi would praise him, but she quickly avoided his gaze...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYEsaydrtI

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 4, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

So, here is a fun game. Dlanor's name is an anagram. If you can figure out what it is before tomorrow, you may get a clue to what her identity is.

I'm glad to see Ronald McDonald has decided to enter the game board after so long. I'm sure the characters have been craving a nice tasty burger after all this hullabaloo.

Poor Gohda. Even when he's trying really hard to help out Natsuhi's defense, he winds up making things worse.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Poltergrift posted:

When Dlanor took communion, I bet it was with the Corpus Christie.

Blessed is this pun.

There were some EXCELLENT songs in today's update. This was ride that just keeps on going. :allears:

As for Battler-claiming-to-be-Kinzo escaping the room, it seems that taking the door is out of the question unless Battler notices the paper trick and puts it back in place after leaving. The only way I can think of is taking the window out, unless.... Battler takes an unorthodox way of escape by hiding underneath Natsuhi's dress as she walks out. Battler's pervertedness finally comes into play for once.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Holy poo poo, those are some outfits. Did pants kill R07's parents or something?

Please don't forget this post, it's perfect.

quote:

...Battler caught her with both arms as though catching an angel's wings. It was like a knight catching a princess who had been locked up in a tower, like a beautiful picture of a scene in some fairy tale...

: "...Crap, I think I'm in love. . . ."

A scene written so romantically that not even demons can resist.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Kids are stupid. I know this for a fact. I can't begin to imagine the chip on Ange's shoulder that caused her to ruin her relationship with Eva like that.

But to realize that Ange turned her own life intoa living hellhole, that's hosed up.

Agreed 1000%.

This game lured me into a false sense of hope with the Valentine's day and White day specials being hilarious and heartwarming, but now it's back to immortal creatures laughing at human misery.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tiistai posted:

These Fragments exist!

That just makes it hurt even worse. :arghfist::(

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rekt

So I guess Beatrice really wants to die already. In theory, nobody else has to be allowed into the gameboard, but Beatrice allows them to? Am I getting that right?

Also, wasn't Virgilia known as Beatrice too before our own Golden Beatrice came by? In the real world of Umineko the name "Beatrice" seems to be a scapegoat presented by everyone on Rokkenjima whenever something bad goes on, so I'm starting to suspect that Kumasawa, who Virgilia represents, may have been involved in some heinous poo poo back in the day. Maybe she cleaned up for a death in the past? Perhaps something that involved OG Beatrice that Kinzo fell in love with? Maybe she was friends with OG Beatrice? Bitter enemies?

I'm not sure. I just think that Kumasawa being a Beatrice is significant, and not just flavor text.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My blue truth for the letter appearing is that it wasn't Shannon who touched it. It was Sayo.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CottonWolf posted:

E: Or it could be time for the resurrection of the trained non-human primate theory from the previous thread. Chimp-kun was the knocker. E2: Though I've tragically realised that that would be a violation of Knox's 8th. Goat-kun was the knocker remains valid however, as we have been properly prepared for his existence. E3: Though goat's don't have hands, violating Lambda's red. Foiled again.

My heart was hopeful, but then it was shattered. "Rest in peace, my beloved Chimpatrice" indeed. :rip:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:arghfist:(╬ಠ益ಠ)

Yeah, I'm still going with my theory that it was Jessica who called originally, but now Kannon and Shannon ("Shkannon" is you believe in the Shannon=Kanon theory) are definitely now involved in the prank calling. Shannon has always been suspect numero uno for the other gameboards and it's no different here.

I'm interested in seeing how Hideyoshi's murderer (Shannon?) is going to get out of the room, and whether Natsuhi can follow them out. Otherwise Natsuhi's going to be in a hell of a lot of trouble for letting someone get murdered and not bothering to help.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Is it bad that I think this is kawaii?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can someone in witch chat repeat the following in red, please?

"Kinzo wants the B. He wants the Beatrice."

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Theory: Six years ago, Battler claimed himself as 'Kinzo, the new head of the Ushiromiya family,' and that he would be together with Sayo, who would be 'Beatrice'. However when Battler came over to Rokkenjima, he was not interested in keeping his promise to Sayo. Instead he was only after the gold. This is why Sayo pulled out the ol' Beatrice shtick and started to murder some folks.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fabulousvillain posted:

I like to think she does things like this everyday. Putting seals on doors to stores she goes to and listening through walls of hotel rooms instead of sleeping in them. Public bathrooms must be a nightmare.

You know for a fact that Erika would love every moment of that deuce dropping eavesdropping.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fabulousvillain posted:

It's not a nightmare for Erika, you walk into a public bathrooms and see a tape seal on every stall door you loving hold it in till you get home.

I need to poop already,
OH DESIIIIIRE

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tiistai posted:

Shame on you, anyone who even thought she might have been. Nappi would never kill anyone.

Nappi?

Memorizing all the details that are being tossed around is pretty difficult, but it's interesting to find the red truth that has a little wiggle room to it.

This for example is not as solid a case against someone using a ladder from the outside of the mansion, only the inside.

Motive is also an issue too. I don't think that Eva would kill her own son, while leaving Battler alive because gently caress it why not. Rosa? Perhaps she might be willing to kill Maria because she longs for a world where having Maria isn't an issue, but not finishing off Battler still doesn't make sense.

That's why the culprit has to be someone who is following Beatrice's goal of saving Battler for last. Genji, Shannon, Kanon, and Kumasawa fit for people who are devoted to the legacy of Beatrice aka "gently caress up the Ushiromiyas". Murdering Hideyoshi is possible for either of those four people motive wise if they needed to pin the crime on Natsuhi.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It's okay, chill... (also watch your language) Sometimes characters are going to suck, but that's all according to the story. It's all just a story. Just think of this moment as something that allows an even cooler thing to happen.

For example, this:

Rodyle posted:

So now that Battler's dead, please enjoy the following there episodes, now entirely ‹good›.

I'm pumped about this. :madmax:

edit: I actually don't know for sure who killed anyone on the first twilight. Probably Genji because he was the only 'corpse' that was not inspected.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thetruegentleman posted:

4. Battler does his best thinking after he's been impaled.

Shouldn't this have been the easter update?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

Being Natsuhi is suffering

Goddamn if this ain't the truth.

It's only use of slur words against minorities that I call foul against. It's in bad taste. There was a troll a while back that tried to call everyone in this thread neurodivergent (with different words of course) for being in this thread, but for the most part gendered slurs are still far more commonplace and are seen as acceptable by most unfortunately. However this is a topic that would be best left out of this thread. Feel free to PM me about this instead if you would like.

Re: living Kinzo being in bed for a while, and Erika pushing Natsuhi into a corner. It's possible to slip through the red truth by saying that Natsuhi is the new Kinzo, head of the Ushiromiya household. Certainly her internal reason to fight for the honor of Ushiromiya name is because she considers herself the head now who must protect it. This would not contradict any of the red statements that said that Kinzo could have been in her bed, and that Kinzo never left the room they were in.

A less strong argument would be to say that Battler is the new Kinzo now since he solved the epitaph, and also never left his room. The red truth claiming that it's possible for Kinzo to be hiding in Natsuhi's bed during a certain time frame refers only to a possibility, not an absolute. It's possible to make an argument of twisting the definition of that red truth for Battler to fill the criteria.

gently caress Krauss.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 18, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

(so long as she can be a bitch about it.)

Knowing that this game has a variety of villains who happen to be female, this thread was bound to be a goddamn honeypot for the occasional goon throwing misogynistic insults around, but can we not?

Beatrice and Battler are dead as hell, unless Battler pulls off an excellent legal defense while only having 30% of his original blood volume remaining.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

I just want you to know witchchat is now having a hot take conversation about slurs in the English language. :v:

It's a decent conversation to have, if it lends to awareness of how often people turn to misogyny whenever Erika does A Bad, Eva does a bullying, Beatrice takes a bite out of the chocolate cake that Battler was waiting all day to eat, or whenever a fictional portrayal of a female as written by a male does anything bad at all. :( I can only hope it went well. I love Ryukishi07, but people are happily using real life slurs in response to a scenes from a fun/good mystery game he wrote that talks about issues with patriarchy, cycles of abuse, and the lifelong damage to personhood they leave. I don't know if it's ironic or not.

I understand that the people I call out for using these slurs aren't really completely bad people nor irredeemable for perpetuating these bad misogynistic terms, because just like any of the Ushiromiyas in this story, I know that it's just the environment that we all grew up in that cause us to have these reflexes engrained in us. (Hey, has anybody rewatched some old movies from previous decades and realized that some of them have not aged well? Hooboy, I have.) I'm just hoping to point out that defaulting to misogynistic terms towards characters like Erika or Beatrice aren't cool, and hope that people can pinpoint their frustrations with them in ways that don't rely on gender or any other minority status. Let's use literary analysis instead, or something.

tl;dr: The author of this game: "Hey, I'm going to show you folks what a long-term effect of X does throughout the decades by using a family as a model, how using X is Most Bad, and why breaking the cycles of X is important."

The audience: "I'm going to use X."

Me: :catstare:

Tired Moritz posted:

That loving (b)itch!!!

Also I'm here to say that Rudolf actually is the best ushiromiya sibling despite or because of his man sluttiness.

This wasn't clever enough to hide the swipe towards me hoping that people would not to use misogynistic slurs towards fictional characters. You could have at least waited a few posts after Lotus Circle's post before making this hot take.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 19, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This 5th game truly has no love, no goddamn love at all.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Congrats on your avatar, Dlanor is ready to slice up some untruths!

edit: I wonder how Erika as a witch and a detective is going to work. I guess this time she can use red truths by herself? Either way, I'm ready for someone in the story to find out the truth behind the murders.

I'm not so sure on the conspiracy theory that the Ushiromiya adults would kill their children, but instead think it's gotta be the the servants who killed George, with Jessica going along with the plan because she empathizes with Kanon. Genji is also still alive because Erika never proclaimed him dead.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 21, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tiistai posted:

Erika didn't but he's been proclaimed dead for sure.

"Hmm? Red? Well, there's no point in me holding out against you. That's right, At a glance, anyone could confirm that these corpses are dead, so it is absolutely impossible that they are just people playing dead."

"And, since there's no need to hold off on it anymore, I'll confirm that all the victims so far are dead. George, Jessica, Maria, Rosa, and Genji really are dead. How could they be playing dead with their necks sliced open like that?"

Virgilia's red truth that "anyone looking at George, Jessica, Maria, Rosa, or Genji's corpses could confirm at a glance that they are dead" has been said before by other goons to be a tautology, so it's not damning to my theory that at least one of the people in the cousin room was pretending to be dead. If you see a corpse, then yeah you'll verify that it's dead. But what if you see something that is not actually a corpse? Such as a person pretending to be a corpse. Then it's possible to say that not everyone is dead in the room.

The red truth "At a glance, anyone could confirm that these corpses are dead, so it is absolutely impossible that they are just people playing dead." can be slipped out of by asking what a corpse means in terms of the red truth. It's been shown before that the term 'Kinzo' can apply to anyone who's inherited the headship of the Ushiromiya family, and in the last thread I also theorized that there was an issue with 'Shannon' dying, but 'Sayo' remaining alive to kill George. I'm going to say that George and Maria are definitely dead in the cousin room, but Jessica killed off her personality as 'Jessica', and now remains as 'angry phone caller'. She's bullying her mom for what she did to Cliff Baby.

Lastly, "And, since there's no need to hold off on it anymore, I'll confirm that all the victims so far are dead. George, Jessica, Maria, Rosa, and Genji really are dead." There's no need to pay attention to the non-red parts, so it winds up being a repeat of the previous red truth.

A lot of the red truth can be wormed out of because there's a lot of gaps in them. They are not as damning as they seem. I was expecting Battler to honestly call Erika out on those non-decisive red truths, and was really surprised when he got impaled.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
edit: doh me read good.

• Locked thread