Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lookw
Oct 7, 2014
So I just caught up with these threads and Im enjoying this ride so far. Im new to umineko so i have a theory as to the mystery surrounding the servants.

Is it alright if I post my theory even though it contains spoilers from the previous game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
Ok heres my theory regarding the 2 servants based on what we know about them.

While we heard shannons name "Sayo" we still haven't heard Kannons true name. Every time he was asked to tell us his name he refused and/or died before telling it to us.
I think that his other name is "Kinzo". Like Battler stated "Kinzo is the name that is passed down to the new head of the family" so when the real Kinzo dies the servants were used to maintain the illusion that Kinzo still lives. But with that in mind EP 1 Kannon even has a conversation with "Kinzo" about the epithet and how whomever solves it becomes the new head of the family. Of course Kannon states that he cannot since he is just furniture but "Kinzo" just chuckles knowingly as if he doesn't fully believe Kannon's words. Once the murders start the only time we see "Kinzos" body is once Kannon is "dead"/"dying". That means that Beato can say "Kannon is dead" and "Kinzo is dead" in red and not lie since technically both are dead at the time.

As for Shannon, i agree with the thread that she is probably Beatrice and the murders is part of revenge against the family for mistreating her. I also think that she is related with the family on a greater level than previously shown. For this to be true Battlers story has to go one way which has been hinted at but not confirmed.

According to Beato, Asumu isn't Battlers' mother but he is still Kinzos grandson. This made me reflect on Kyries story and how she mentioned that her son died at child birth and Asumu gave birth to Battler at around the same time. But what happens if the opposite occurred? if Asumus child died at child birth and Kyrie son was born but Rudolf had them switched. So that would make Battler Kyries' biological son while Rudolf married Asumu. Now of course why would Rudolf do that? or someone do that to him? Well inter-family politics aside maybe he didn't want the Sumadera family involved with succession in the Ushriomiya family since Battler would have been in line for the succession and Rudolf couldn't let that happen. So he had them switched (essentially) and lied about who gave birth to Battler. That would make Ange Battlers biological sister and Kyrie is his biological mother.

Then what if Asumus child didn't die in childbirth? what happens if she gave birth to a girl? Honestly their family has the perfect place to send unwanted children with Kinzos orphanage. So lets say Asumu had a daughter and Kyrie has a son. Rudolf (or Kinzo since i cannot rule out what he would do) sends her to the orphanage since he needs a male successor and cannot let the Sumadera family get involved. So the child sent to the orphanage is Shannon aka "Sayo" who is raised not knowing anything about her family and eventually serves the Ushiromiya family for 10 years being one of Kinzos "furniture". Of course this is assuming she and battler are the same age. She eventually finds out and realizes that Battler is the main reason that she was abandoned though her loyalty to the family is strong enough to keep those feelings of betrayal suppressed. Though once Battler leaves the family for 6 years she is able to forget about her hard life and "become a witch" with Maria and Kumasawa giving form to Beatrice and falling in love with George. Of course after 6 years Battler returns like nothing happened which triggers Beatrice once again and allows for the murders to occur with the others who are involved (which change from game to game). Edit: well apparently Shannon is 2 years younger than battler so that doesnt work.

Im sure there are points that contradict these claims but i dont remember them at this time.

lookw fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 21, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Rune Full Moon posted:

Shannon is 16, Battler is 18, iirc.

welp there goes that theory.

so shannon and Kannon are the same age?

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
*More Higurashi Spoilers*

I think Rika is stated to be over 100 years old (mentally speaking) by the end of Higurashi and the amount of time she has before she gets killed in each timeline gets progressively shorter. She repeated parts of her life up to that summer 1000's of times (since the length of each timeline varies).

You know Bernkastel isn't a good person by any extension in higurashi too (she does taunt the characters in that game as well). Though her cruelty always serves a purpose so as to allow the players in the witches game to win. She is genuinely a cruel person and has no trouble doing horrible things but...........she wants the game to end and will do almost anything to be entertained and win.

She isnt the players "friend" but she is an very tentative "ally" under very specific circumstances (who will have no trouble messing with you for kicks out of sheer boredom).

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

mycelia posted:

The 'E' in Erika (ヱ) is an archaic version of the character エ, which is weird because the rest of her first name is in katakana, which indicates it's a transliterated foreign name. As for why that is, your guess is as good as mine. Probably Bern being an rear end in a top hat.

Thats because one of the main characters in Higurashi is Furude Rika so the author just slightly Westernized the name and inserted her into the story. Rika and Erika are similar but not the "same" person in this game. So yes Bern is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Also it seems to draws attention to the other character names (hers being slightly changed from her other name) and maybe we can translate them to Japanese names (or vice versa) to solve the witches epithet or at least part of the riddle by removing some characters in their names. Though i am unfamiliar with the Japanese written language.

of course soon we will see how she interacts with the rest of the cast and what "truths" she will find.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

BurningStone posted:

Bravely ignoring that update to try and focus:

So, two big puzzles that probably can't be solved independently: what's up with the two Battlers and what is Beatrice doing. Skipping the double Battlers (his father said he wanted to talk about his parents, so maybe we'll get some more information soon), what about the sin?

In the first line, BEATRICE in all caps means the witch, which means the human version is talking. Who's that human? No, instead, how do you create a witch? It seems to be, with Maria and Ange as guides, by having a girl so unhappy she wants to escape to a fantasy land. Note the "girl;" we haven't seen a male witch, not even Kinzo, who was both occult obsessed and none too sane. There was talk of "Goldsmith," who we never saw. I'm not sure if it was a witch who splits off, or more of a nickname.

Trying to narrow down the possibilities leaves a depressingly long list. It had to be somebody who was around six years ago, to be sinned against, and still around now, to kill people. It needs to always be the same person (maybe not, but this is hard enough).

Gohda and Kanon weren't around six years ago (I'm trying to keep it simple, so ignore the "Kanon is family" speculation). Kinzo is dead now. Maria was only three, and has a different witch. Eva had a different witch too.

This isn't going to work; there are too many possibilities. It could be Shannon, or Jessica, or Kyrie, or even Rudolf! I'm going to jump to the top suspect, based on what's going on in this update: Natsuhi. She's having conversations with Beatrice, who Kinzo told her about, but she also has all the furniture running around: stakes, Gaap, and Ronove. She seems to feel trapped and at the end of her rope. However, I have no idea what the sin could be.

The double battlers feels like there is a simple explanation but it requires Rudolf, Kinzo and Asumu to work. I believe that both Asumu and Kyrie were pregnant at the same time (or close enough to make little difference). Also Asumu gave birth first to Battler and Kyries child died at birth right? But what happens if they both were born and Asumus child died soon after? Since Kyrie has.....lets say a very controlling family it would not be to their benefit to have her marry into the Ushiromiya family at the time. So they were switched at birth. Kyrie was told her child died and Asumu was given "Battler" to raise as her son. That would explain why Battler was both Ushiromiya Asumus son and "Battler" was not born from Ushiromiya Asumu. Also every-time Rudolf tries to tell both Kyrie and Battler about Battlers birth...or something....he dies or gets distracted. He even mentions how he may be killed that night before hes able to tell Battler what he wanted to say. That means someone else knows the secret and doesn't want it to come to light.

Maybe battlers sin is leaving.

Though it seems like everyones distracted right now with the first epithat murders so im guessing the next victims...........are going to be rudolf and kyrie (cause he can never explain) or shannon and kannon since i dont believe they have been killed together (outside the 3rd game).

As for why? if natsushi would be the killer then she would probably kill them to keep the secret of Kinzos disappearance secret. As for anyone else.....well.......cause they found out what really happened to kinzo.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Graylien posted:

Come to think of it, how did Yasu find all this out? I assume there's a big revelation coming, but the step from 'I am a servant who is treated a bit weird' to 'I am the illegitimate heir and know all the awful details as to how I got here' is a pretty big one. Maybe it has something to do with Battler, things do seem to keep coming back to him, and if he's also illegitimate, as in the stillborn switch theory, there could be something there as to why Yasu feels such a connection with him.

Im guessing that they realized it from kinzo (who would not shut up about beatrice and then confirmed it via genji). Thats what turned beatrice from a sorta nice witch that played with maria to, 'I will play with their lives and infinitely kill/resurrect them'.

Also didnt battler mention in game 3 that he did have a crush on shannon? also shannon mentioned he made a bold claim the last time he was on the island? those were probably related to why the game happened in the first place.

you know doesnt that make Yasu not only Battlers,Jessica, and Georges cousin but also their aunt/uncle?
well thats probably something im better off not thinking about.

lookw fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 25, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Umineko: Everyone has reasons for acting the way they act, no matter how vile, and most people are just trying to do the best with the cards they've been dealt, no matter how poorly they cope.
Also Umineko: gently caress Kinzo though.

Yeah after learning about what he did my reaction was.

"kinzo you incestous fucknugget you just had to make this family even MORE hosed up than it started out as"

lookw fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 28, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Like I said, Kinzo's a real motherdaughterfucker.

ftfy

Also higurashi is worth picking up ,there are only a few differences between the anime and VN, and it gives context to some things that occur in umineko. but its a good story regardless.

KataraniSword posted:

It's worth noting that unlike Umineko, there's no smoke and mirrors deployed - poo poo gets supernatural. Much like Umineko, though, it also lacks its back half on Steam, though there are (to my knowledge) official translations of the second set of VNs.

Like stated, though, aside from Quality DEEN Animation, Higurashi's anime isn't too harsh of a diversion from the source material. It's definitely an option if you don't want to sit through a manga or VN dumping :words: at you.

Also supernatural forces are at work in higurashi (but treat it like a witches game except with no red or blue truths)

well there was only 2-3 significant deviations from the VN (and are so smooth you wouldnt know they were deviations) but only 1 thing they cut out i felt should have been left in.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Cyouni posted:

That I can actually explain. Hideyoshi was paid off in some way, shape, or form. There was no need for Shannon to escape the padlocked shed (through an alternate key Genji held, for example) because there was no one there. It actually wraps up that one pretty neatly.

i mean no one saw her body and it was only when hideyoshi mentioned that she was out of sight of the door with her head beaten beyond recognition that they "confirmed" she was dead. In fact........we never see her or kannons face when they are dead did we (even when the dead have a face)?

mostly we only see the two of them interact on the same screen with genji, kumasawa,kinzo and beatrice. Everyone else "says" they spoken too the other or seen that person but there is no way to confirm if it was shannon or sayo or beatrice (hell kumasawa gave shannon an alibi during game 1 for who gave maria the umbrella). Then only other time we see them onscreen together with anyone else is when either magic is going on or during the metascenes.

lookw fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 1, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

Battler sees dead Shannon's face in episodes 2-4. Very intimately in episode 2. The only reported sightings of dead Kanon are from World's Worst Doctor Nanjo, or dead Kanon walking around and killing people.

But all that other stuff pales in comparison on the "Something weird is going on with Shannon and Kanon" scale next to Episode 5's parlor scene and Episode 6's Furudo Erika, Rokkenjima's 18th Human

Nope at least not in game 2 They find her and george in the same room and shes face down on the desk. Before battler can investigate it Rosa shoves him out of the room and they didnt return to confirm the two bodies.

In game 3-4 they find her face up and see her face (or at least in episode 4 battler finds her body and goes into great detail about her face and how it was half blown off). In game 3 battler doesnt see her face but the 6 who find her body see her face.

Ok, so in 2/4 games we dont see her face when shes dead (and i dont think we ever seen kannons corpse but thats pretty much order of the day for each episode).

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

tiistai posted:

Reminder to everyone to source your claims. I can think of a couple of arguments here that could have been resolved if the people actually checked the text.

Ah my mistake. thank you for pointing that out. i completely missed that.

So what commonly accepted theories explains that on the human side?

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

My best guess, based on how everyone has been characterized thus far, is that it was Kinzo's idea, and either Rudolf was threatened with disinheritance if he didn't play along or he just outright wasn't told about it until after the deed was already done. Stealing Kyrie's baby to preserve the honor of the Ushiromiya family doesn't sound like something Rudolf would be capable of, but Kinzo could do it without breaking a sweat.

Also remember that Kyries family also could have played a part in that decision as well. Considering how they REALLY would have loved to get the Ushiromiya money and gain political capital to take over. In fact thats most likely the reason that he pulled that. Its a terrible decision and he probably guessed that when he told battler and Kyrie one of them would kill him for his sins.

mmm.....could Yasu have found out from kinzo? In one of Kinzos many insane rages over how pathetic his children are (in front of his personal servants) he could have let it slip about battlers true origins. He probably would have framed it as him saving their family from the claws of the Sumatas (i think thats their name?) and kept ranting about Rudolfs poor decision making skills in choosing women.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, god. No. No no no no no... I sense the other shoe dropping, and through the power of magic, it has turned into a meteor hurtling toward earth. How happy it starts, how dignified and refined, everyone working together instead of sniping at each other and separating to die... but if this were a happy story, who is the teller? And why are Lion and Ange brought together to hear it? And why the chains?

The heart is a queer and contradictory thing isn't it? The logical voice within it knows that this is a story, digital ink on a screen that was written years before my eyes have read it, and it assures me in its infuriatingly calm and placid tone that I could not change the direction of this story or what happens in it even if I wished to-which I don't, really; it's a great story. And yet... there is the emotional voice, nearly seizing my monitor and shaking it, demanding that Ange run, break her chains, stare at Lion and hold their gaze, do anything at all besides watch this screen and what is about to happen- even as there is a cold dread beneath that energy that is almost certain that even if she tore off her ears and put out her eyes... she would still see. :gonk:

There is cruelty coming. It has to come, because we were told that this was a story about love, and I believe it is... but it is also a story about cruelty- the cruelty that is shown to us and that we show to others in turn by the things we do and leave undone, without even meaning to... and how a lifetime of such cruelty can nestle in the heart, and bleed it dry of anything good or prosperous- how it can taint everything one might otherwise do. Pursue the golden witch as you may and think them the ultimate villain of this piece... but for all the monstrosity she shows, there is a blue-haired sadist waiting in the wings... and by god, I think I hear her music...

I doubt that its bernkastal....at least right now. Its Featherine Auaustein who set this up to learn the complete truth. Ange is her miko (which bernkastal was before) and charged with reading the story out for her. I wouldnt think that Featherine would let such a willing participant go so easily and having Lion there allows her to reveal how the witches side obfuscated the truth during the games. They will sit there as the illusion of the witch is slowly stripped away until the cruel reality is revealed.

Also what song is Bernskastals music (im trying to avoid spoilers so im afraid to go to youtube)? would it be possible for a master list of the songs to be put in post after the game is done?

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

tiistai posted:

We weren't seriously going to do it, but for a minute in witchchat we were talking about joking in the thread how being under the pressure of impending death of him and his family is how Kinzo gets all his business planning done, to see how many people would take it as just a joke

honestly? i wouldnt have seen that as a joke (at least not in the sense that i would disregard it). But i would have assumed it meant the epithet murders or his own disease. I wouldn't have considered explosives.

uhh i just thought about this line.

"regardless of the witches will"..that implies the explosives go off regardless of who sets them up (either yasu or eva). they just..........explode killing everyone in the mansion (except who escapes to the other mansion) since yasu planned to die its eva (the more practical witch) who manages to escape and set ange to find out the truth.....i guess shes getting what she wanted.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
.....................so where is battler?

I mean Im assuming Kyrie killed maria but did she kill battler before Eva came along and killed Rudolph ? Though i wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie told Rudolph that she would let battler live and instead kill him.

Or is battler now wandering the island seeing all of the dead? He wouldnt know to go to the other mansion so he would die in the explosion anyway.

lookw fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 15, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

Rosa, Hideyoshi, and Eva looks like multiple to me. Not to mention if they blamed her for Natsushi and Krauss, too. But I guess I phrased that poorly. What I meant was she didn't necessarily go into this planning to murder a bunch of people to take the gold, but once she entered murder town she didn't look back. Which now that I say it suggests that the only thing holding her back from doing murders in the past (Asumu being the big example) was the threat of being caught and punished more than any sense of morality. So hey, Kyrie might be a psychopath. Good to know.

Still worth bearing in mind that if Kyrie at any point did have any hesitation here Bernkastel for sure would elect not to show that part.

Though if bernkastal wanted to make Ange despair even more she would take great pleasure in showing how Kyrie killed both battler and maria. Remember, Ange was really close to both of them and thoughts of the 2 of them kept her alive and happier (by a matter of degrees). Hell seeing her own mother cruelly kill maria and battler (assuming battler is dead) would be horrifying for Ange and Bern would be greatly entertained (since that is something she is well familiar with). Even if its the full truth omitting those 2 scenes............seems like a move kept in reserve. For what? idk, but considering lion is still watching im sure they will start picking apart the story and bern is reserving those scenes for dramatic effect.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

"That's... insane... It's... That's right, probability! Just like Lion can be born from Clair thanks to a rare miracle, Aunt Kyrie only commits murder with a tiny probability, close to zero! That must be it! Aren't you the witch who specializes in finding extremely improbable worlds?!!"
"That is correct. I had to find one Fragment out of 2,578,917 in order to discover the miracle that is you. However, it was very, very easy to find this result for your world. After all, probability isn't a factor. I'm a witch who can find any miracle, no matter how unlikely it is. But I can't find things that don't exist. If the Witch of Certainty really guarantees that something is certain, even I can't win against her."
"But... then... I..."
"With a 2,578,916 out of 2,578,917 probability, you live in the world as Clair, are toyed with by an inescapable fate, and reach a tragic end. And, with a 1 out of 2,578,917 probability, you live as Ushiromiya Lion... and are killed by Kyrie tonight."
"...In other words, your fate... no, the fate the two of you share, traps you in an inescapable dead end, a hell of fate, with a 2,578,917 out of 2,578,917 probability, To put it another way, it's a certain fate, with absolutely no chance for a miracle!"
"*giggle*, eheheheheheheheheheh!! Sucks for you, Clair. No, Beatrice."

"However, you had a dream. You dreamed of Ushiromiya Lion. You consoled yourself with the thought of a miracle world, where you could have lived in happiness and would never have become Clair!"
"...I had to work hard to find Lion. As Beato dreamed, Lion's existence is a true miracle. And, at the end of your funeral, I wanted to show you. To show you that, even with that miracle, you couldn't have escaped this tragedy!!"

ProfessorProf posted:

"There you have it. We'll keep struggling on, Bernkastel."
"We won't give up on the chance of a miracle...!"
"You're saying that? When the Witch of Miracles has promised with certainty that there will be no miracles? *giggle*giggle*, ehhehehehehahahahahahahahaha!! So long, you two. Go collect dust in the depths of oblivion, unable even to die, and disappear!!"
"Come, my kitties. I won't tell you to kill them. Just clean up the two pieces whose role has ended."

Well.....that was revealing. Like bern pointed out so maliciously if anyone knows about miracles it would be her. Considering the events of higurashi if she claims that there is no chance for a miracle that says lion/yasu will survive it is probably true. However....even she left holes in her story that someone can use to make a miracle happen.

:siren:BGM: The Executioner:siren:

this song fits her perfectly.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Wh

What

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!?

I mean Ange going to the island is one thing, yes... and Ange imagining that her family is happy is another, and if you want a "vision of heaven" for a lonely girl, that's a pretty good way to go. But why... is... he... here? Why is the Coward part of any vision of happiness, after all that he has done, and why are his abbetors here? No, I don't care if Ange couldn't have known what we learned; she remembers all of the abuse she was part of, she even says so in this update! What the gently caress is even-

NO!! NO, you keep back from her, you shut up and you back away! You go to another room! You are a rapist! You go back to your room! Further! You climb up the roof and you jump off, you monstrous, cowardly...

I need to go shopping now. I need to... I need to do something, before I break something I care about.

Hahahahahahahaha , unfortunately it seems like ange's ideal story involves kinzo being a kind, doting, loving *shudder* grandfather. It seems like in her ideal world everyone is laughing and happy (and somehow shannon and kannon are two people in the same room with the cousins and adults, so yasu as we know them doesnt exist?). I guess Ange wouldnt know about Yasu/lion but we didnt see the witches epithat or portrait either.

EDIT:smooth Glass?!?!? when did that happen?

lookw fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 24, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

And here it is! The gimmick of this section. I hope your little grey cells are ready for a little quiz tournament!

For each of these mini-updates, I will allow 24 hours. During that time, the thread must deliberate and determine the answer to the question. We're starting with an easy one here, but things are going to get harder as we go. I'll give this hint to you for free: Knowledge of Japanese is NOT required for any of these puzzles. They have been thoroughly localized by the good folks at Witch Hunt for your enjoyment.

When you think you know the answer, put the letter of the answer in your post in bold text - in this case, A or B. You will be graded collectively based on your performance, so try to see how many medals you can get!

Starting now, vote for your answer to Kinzo's puzzle. Is it possible, or impossible? Can you keep pace with the world's smartest six-year-old?

Ok ill go with A

lookw fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 4, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Danaru posted:

A - Grapefruit :v: Considering the last riddle from a book they gave us was that bullshit cheese slicing one, they're really easing us into these

A-Grapefruit that one is way too easy.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ArashiKurobara posted:

Ah! This one's a classic. B - a very cold place - the South Pole.

I agree it seems like it should be B

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Confused Llama posted:

I'm going to go with A, the stew is lying, because it says "I made some stew for you," but a thing can't make itself; moreover, all of the other food items refer to themselves as "me."

Huh one thats fairly divisive. Im going with D-Ice cream since it specified that she came home VERY late and it would be melted. It could be the stew but i get the feeling that while its hard to determine if they could "make" themselves its not impossible and there was nothing contridictary about it.

Also if we seem completely stuck could we ask for EVA's hint (if there is a consensus about needing it of course)?

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

See the cooking talk got me thinking of the letters as ingredients and obviously when you're cooking you mix up the ingredients.

The more I think about it the more I think the answer is gonna be C because whoops Kumasawa switched the words around and accidentally asked a completely different question and we're expected to answer the question she meant to ask and not the question she actually asked.

The dessert desert trick could work verbally if you said the whole thing in a silly foppish accent. Or in Japanese.

edit: Ok fine, switching to C because it does say 'desert' where it clearly means 'dessert' so we're supposed to assume a similar error is made later, and it's the kind of solution more in-line with the previous riddles than the Air Bud required for D. Also I could see Eva's hint being to point out that there's a spelling error, and I can't think of simple hints for changing one letter into three then moving the 'r.' Would still be easier to believe the error is intentional if mackerel were spelled correctly.

You know i have no idea.

Lets go with C: "b" for sahara desert

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

99+20=119
130-20=110

119-110=9, which is half of the word emergency, since it sounds like 9 said twice.

D. 20

Yeah thats the answer. D:20

Also

Confused Llama posted:

:cripes: No. No, it did not. Proofreading!

Yeah......if we got caught up in the placement of the written words we would have gotten it wrong. I guess we were flexible enough to notice the mistake.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

That wordplay wasn't changed at all, Prof. It was just ruined. :mad:

Today's riddle is D. 20 and I don't know if all the stuff about police and ambulances would mean anything in Japanese or if it's just a distraction from:
code:
99 + X = a
130 - X = b
|a - b| = 9  #Or 99/2 but we're not bringing decimals into this.
And the fact it's multiple choice makes trial-and-error really easy.

That was referring to the phone numbers used to summon either a police or ambulance. if in japan you want to call the police you would press 110 in your phone and if you wanted to summon an ambulance you would put 119.

just knowing one of those numbers makes this alot easier.

Heres a site that lists them.
https://www.tokyo-icc.jp/guide_eng/kinkyu/01.html

lookw fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 9, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

RedMagus posted:

Mathmatically it goes from 50mm (5cm) -> 25mm -> 12.5mm -> 6.25mm on hour three, but are they going to pull a trick like "what about the length of the flame at the start?" or "the residual heat melted it into a puddle"?

Still, seems pretty straight forward: C

Edit: I guess thats a trick question since they didnt specify when the candle burned out. So im changing my answer

E: around `10 mm

lookw fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Confused Llama posted:

Yep, everyone's correct; it's the keys on a piano. Not sure I would have gotten it without Krauss and Natsuhi's comments about not getting it without the right experience, though... and if it hadn't started at C, for that matter. A. White

Huh I never would have thought about that. i guess A. White is right.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

witchcore ricepunk posted:

D. 4!

edit: just saw everybody's posts. :lol: just blame Eva! It's funny to imagine how someone would vocalize "_th" in English. Blankth?

It's funny because in Japanese the counting word for "floor" doesn't really vary: it's just "kai." Ikkai (1), nikai (2), sankai (3), yonkai (4), gokai (5). I'm curious about how the Japanese version of this one goes.

huh im going with D:4 as well.

though i do wonder if that was the way to get the answer.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

:doh: I'm a chemist, how did I not....

C. 78

I was trying to do poo poo like using prime factorization to extrapolate a pattern from the differences between the prizes, or sum everything and try to see if any of those stood out. Copper, silver, and gold are all prime numbers, even, but none of the choices were (though that would have been a wonderfully misleading choice if he'd included one or two primes larger than 79.)

Ah, well. Good job Kytrarewn!

e: As an aside, Prof, thanks for doing this section this way, it's really fun.

e2: spoiler'd out stuff for the same reason

yeah i also tried a similar method to reach a answer. I originally thought that its more of a see by how much it increased type of problem. the first leap was 16 coins and the second was 32 coins. but the answers didnt match any of the next possibilities.

So C:78 seems correct (though giving that type of question to a 6 year old, really kanon?)

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
huh am i overthinking it? I should have guessed that this one would be trickier than is immediately apparent.

well lets try reducing the options left.
It can't be A:W, or D:I since, while we aren't sure about the rules for this pattern, all of the letters were contained within the words before. I'm assuming the letter needs to be there.

that leaves B: A, C: B, E: O

is it B for Black coffee? A pattern for the previous ones was the first letter of the Description for the type of that food. now for lemonade that doesn't work since there is no adjective attached to the word.

EDIT:Well if witchcore says so ill go with that reasoning.

Well im going to guess D:I

lookw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 14, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I guess the goat killing accounts for the two extra minutes it takes to bring the gold up.

i mean.....im going with E:8 but i get the feeling that there is a trap within the question.

Either way its either 7 or 8 and while im not sure if 1 minute is enough to get out of the room ill trust witchcore.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

So we should probably assume that "rear bank" is just a typo and not that everyone is already where they need to be. I'm inclined towards A for the following reasons:

For any n objects where one must be in the boat for it to move, the smallest number of trips required is 2n-3. One trip there and back to move two things and return one, or two trips per object until there are exactly two, at which point one trip for both of them. So without any tricks the bare minimum number of steps for 7 objects is 11. That's just math homework getting that answer, not thinking about any of the special rules for these specific objects. And since it's multiple choice for number of steps, we could give a correct answer without actually solving the riddle. That just seems wrong.

Furthermore, none of these riddles since Kumasawa have been totally straightforward with no trick, and there's a number of possible tricks: the aforementioned only caring about transporting people and not humans, something about the meaning of passenger vs. driver and the use out 'you', or not really caring if something gets eaten as it'll still get to the other side inside a stomach. Whatever trick you use, it's gonna take at least one round trip off the total, bringing it to 9 or less, which, of course, is less than 10.

I am really curious why E is "Something Else" instead of "26 steps or more". Further support for my Battler as Green Arrow theory.

well the general consensus is A:less than 10 for the point of "if we dont care about the animal or food"

I wonder what she will say regarding that.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
Yep rika is the oldest. im going with C:rika

though....................wait, wasnt miyoko a character in higurashi?

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Cyouni posted:

I think that having them that way is likely part of the point in Battler's game.

Yeah thats definitely battlers 'plan'. Will it succeed?No........In a minor way? maybe??

I am going with E; Miyoko, rika, satoko

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
Wait.........they are doing that lesson here? Now? i thought battler would do it not jessica and george.

Also, we get...confirmation, of battlers true parentage. It was pretty much as expected but it seems like rudolf is the only one behind it (rather than kinzo being involved).

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

tiistai posted:

Like ZD said, it didn't matter to Beatrice at all. She knew about it the whole time and only brought it up when she wanted to step down from the game but wasn't allowed. As for how she knew about it, Rudolf did talk about the matter with Krauss and Natsuhi sometime after Battler left, right? Maybe Yasu, Genji or Kumasawa overheard that conversation or some other one Krauss and Natsuhi had later and then figured it out. Maybe it's some kind of meta magic. Doesn't really seem like a very important detail to know.

e: To be clear, he talked about his relationship with Kyrie, probably not that Battler was her son. Still, Yasu must have found out about it somehow after all.

I think it was due to genji. When yasu solved the epithat they mentioned that all truths would be revealed to them so they could lead or destroy the family as they wished. Im sure that since kinzo figured it out and probably assisted with the hosptial cover-up as well (that would require alot of money and he would need to petition kinzo to recover his funds). Im sure its from them that yasu learned about battlers origins (also they could have just guessed and waited till the game itself to confirm).

Also C is my guess.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
oh boy lamdadelta you shouldn't underestimate bernkastel. from your previous games you should know just how she operates..................................wait.........oh how clever bernkastel.

Victory in this game will come at a steep price. Not for battler or beatrice but for Ange. Battlers game (a sort of party to celebrate the game itself) also was intended to let ange move on. I think bernkastel plans on using ange (she is still berns piece too) to destroy what battler was attempting to do.

Well i guess we will see her "simple" game.

Also remember impossible is not the same as improbable.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

The deep-red curves cut by the swings bit into the goat. Its massive body was knocked into the air... became a bunch of about seven logs of flesh, and was thrown into the rose bushes. This time, the terrible force of the attack shocked the goats. They faltered, shook, stepped back.

...Finally, I understood. That red slice. It had come from a weapon that could draw red slashes... no, it also drew blue slashes just a second ago. A massive scythe that could speak both types of truth, red and blue, at will. I looked up at the sky, then let my head hang down backwards.

There was no black cat there. It was a girl... holding a large scythe...

So now erikas getting into the fight? interesting.

you know its funny. That was part of Bernkastals plan since the thing that Ange fears most is that her own family was behind the deaths on the island. Showing "proof" or plausible scenarios is basically confirming Anges worst fears so she won't be able to think about the scenario rationally. She may point out contridictions but she will take the scenario at face value since it just confirms her own thoughts. Of course now Erika is here and probably 'prove' that her theory is correct and live up to her moniker of "the witch of truth". I wonder what bern will do now.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

"The world you live in must be pretty savage."
"...And what about you? Wasn't it the same for you, until you understood Beato's game? An eternal game is eternal torture. Have you already completely forgotten about that pain you suffered...?"
"...There were days I did think that. But now, it's all been resolved. I won't complain about stuff that's in the past. I'm impartial, you might say."
"That... is the critical difference between you and me, I think. Your eternal torture was something you could laugh off and forget. Mine wasn't nearly so trivial. That's all there is to it."
"...I don't know your history. It sounds like you had it rough."
"Hmph. To think I'm getting sympathy from a mere former piece. I must be losing my touch."

Bernkastel, sipping the black tea that Genji had brought her, gazed up at the ceiling with a faraway look. Battler may not have known her history, but even he was able to understand a bit of how she felt.

"...Are you being tortured, by someone right now?"
"Are you kidding? I'm as free as can be. I'm not bound by anyone's shackles."
"Then that's a good thing, isn't it? At least things are better for you now."
"...True. It's much better now than it once was. Though I am on this long, endless journey to escape from boredom."
"Then, at the very least, meeting up here should have been a good thing for you."
"Indeed. Even the taste of defeat has driven boredom away from me for a time."

No, no. Battler was shaking his head and laughing.

"So...?"
"If your days are filled with nothing except running away from boredom, feel free to drop by our place every now and then. We'd love to welcome a friend. And we'll be able to set up everything needed to help a friend escape from boredom."
"You think you can prepare a welcome interesting enough to help me, the great Bernkastel, escape boredom for even a night...?"
"I do. That's what it means to be a friend."
"..."
"We won tonight's game. So, the next time you come, we'll switch sides. This time, we'll entertain you with one of our games. Of course, we don't intend to let you win easily. We'll challenge you to a devilishly twisted logic game! It won't be something you can solve in a night. It'll be good enough to make you stay for months, wracking your brains over it."
"...You would entertain me, the great Bernkastel, as a friend...?"
"Yeah, we would."
"...Hmph... After talking with you, even this dried plum tea is starting to taste sickly sweet. What a pain."
"I heard from Beato. Sounds like this dried plum tea stuff is one of your favorites. Next time, we'll toss some high-class dried plums covered in gold leaf into your tea, so make sure you come again."
"...If you really plan to do that, try finding some better tea to start with. I'll never feel like coming again if you keep serving tea like this."
"Ah, come on. Guess you drink high-grade black tea all the time. In fact, next time, why don't you invite us to somewhere we can drink some of this high-quality tea?"
"...Me... invite you? *giggle*...ahahahahaha."
"It's only fair, right? We've treated you. Now it's your turn."
"Yes, it would be only fair."
"So, let's have the game be fair too. Let's switch sides and start a new game. I'm looking forward to it. We won this time, but who knows about the next...?!"
"...That's some confidence you have there. And yet, I'm afraid you're mistaken on one point."
"What's that?"
"My game isn't over yet. I wonder who will win in the end."

After taking one more sip of her black tea, Bernkastel set her cup on the table, wearing a thin smile.

"...The tea here's far too sweet. It was a mistake to have any. Thank you, Genji. Take this away, please."
"As you wish..."

Bernkastel asked for her tea to be taken away after taking only two sips. Battler smiled, realizing that this was just Bern's way of being shy.

If you really think this final game will be nothing but a happy epilogue... Then I'll have to invite you all to a proper game for bringing this tale to a close.

Battler. You forget things too easily. Don't you remember in whose hands lie the key to this final game...?

Yeah....considering what bern had gone through as a human im not surprised shes not like "bygones are bygones". Does that excuse whats shes about to do? No, not even close.

Now they are entering stage 2 of berns game. This time battler will have ange to contend with since the entire point of bernkastals game was to cause ange to unlock the final "truth" that battler didn't want her to do. He gave her the key and hoped to let her live in her fantasy (like he did i guess) and live on by showing her how much fun they are all having within the cat box. Now she will unlock the cat box and see her 'truth' and cause the party inside to vanish. Now battler will have to fight against bernkastal to try and convince ange to not open the cat box.

• Locked thread