Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
...If you like mods!

You can find the now undead original thread Here. Most of it still applies, but development has come along since then and with mods the game has a LOT more content. With currents mods like Survivors! and Hydrocraft it's a whole new game.

The currently modded cars work pretty well, and while I haven't used the NPC mod that much yet it seems pretty good if sometimes buggy. One feature is the ability to switch between party members, effectively making the 'player' immortal as long as they keep one party member alive. Which is a fun new dynamic, or will be once it stops being broken as gently caress.

You start off with a wife/husband who is also a psychopath and shouts war cries at zombies while they bash their heads in with bats.

One hilarious bug moment that may be due to mods, is that I started a game in the west point police station (as I chose a police officer character) and was surrounded by screaming survivors going apeshit and my spouse. I thought sweet, I can just go raid the armory right now. So I walk towards it and BAM, three 'prison guards' with shotguns blow me to pieces. You survived 1 minute and killed 0 zombies.

Another time I started, told my wife to stay home while i checked outside, a group of surivors were shooting at zombies and I went outside and turns out this guy is a hostile psycho and shoots me. Spent that small run moving house to house with a few other survivors I picked up on the way, slowly dying of a gunshot wound with only ripped bandages to treat it. Fun!

In my current game I've actually got a safe house set up and came across a guy a little ways away killing zombies, I tried to recruit him but he shouted, "No! Go away!" Then as I turn he says "No, don't leave me!" So I help him kill the zombies and try to recruit him again, but he says no again. I'm confused, till I realise he's actually sobbing over his dead wifes corpse coz he keeps talking to it begging her not to die etc. I wonder how long he'll last out there.

EDIT: Oh man, I got too cocky fighting a small herd with my wife and my weapon broke, I had to hide behind her to grab a hammer from a bag and she got bit, so I tried to save her, I got bit too wading into the herd with just a hammer, we eventually killed them and my wife shouts 'I see your bite, stay away from me!' and tries to murder me with a baseball bat. I killed her with a hammer and as she dies she says 'Good... Luck...'.

The bite means I'm probably dead too so... That was a fun playthrough.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

cosmically_cosmic posted:

...If you like mods!

You can find the now undead original thread Here. Most of it still applies, but development has come along since then and with mods the game has a LOT more content. With currents mods like Survivors! and Hydrocraft it's a whole new game.

The currently modded cars work pretty well, and while I haven't used the NPC mod that much yet it seems pretty good if sometimes buggy. One feature is the ability to switch between party members, effectively making the 'player' immortal as long as they keep one party member alive. Which is a fun new dynamic, or will be once it stops being broken as gently caress.

You start off with a wife/husband who is also a psychopath and shouts war cries at zombies while they bash their heads in with bats.

One hilarious bug moment that may be due to mods, is that I started a game in the west point police station (as I chose a police officer character) and was surrounded by screaming survivors going apeshit and my spouse. I thought sweet, I can just go raid the armory right now. So I walk towards it and BAM, three 'prison guards' with shotguns blow me to pieces. You survived 1 minute and killed 0 zombies.

Another time I started, told my wife to stay home while i checked outside, a group of surivors were shooting at zombies and I went outside and turns out this guy is a hostile psycho and shoots me. Spent that small run moving house to house with a few other survivors I picked up on the way, slowly dying of a gunshot wound with only ripped bandages to treat it. Fun!

In my current game I've actually got a safe house set up and came across a guy a little ways away killing zombies, I tried to recruit him but he shouted, "No! Go away!" Then as I turn he says "No, don't leave me!" So I help him kill the zombies and try to recruit him again, but he says no again. I'm confused, till I realise he's actually sobbing over his dead wifes corpse coz he keeps talking to it begging her not to die etc. I wonder how long he'll last out there.

EDIT: Oh man, I got too cocky fighting a small herd with my wife and my weapon broke, I had to hide behind her to grab a hammer from a bag and she got bit, so I tried to save her, I got bit too wading into the herd with just a hammer, we eventually killed them and my wife shouts 'I see your bite, stay away from me!' and tries to murder me with a baseball bat. I killed her with a hammer and as she dies she says 'Good... Luck...'.

The bite means I'm probably dead too so... That was a fun playthrough.

It's pretty irritating when you mention something like that has been added to the game and then do the whole reveal in the thread that it's actually a mod. Some people don't like playing with mods because often they are massively unbalanced.

You'll notice that all the other mod-centric threads in games mention the fact they are in the title.
It's also a shame you didn't link to any of the mods. You just mention that they are there. Or give any information about the game, screenshots. Anything really. You just rambled into a anecdote about the game without explaining anything about how these mods function or what the game is actually about.

Also, it's a great game for creating little narratives. Take screenshots and explain whats going on to entice new and old players like a mini LP. It's just a big wall of nonsense text.

Why not edit the OP and add in a few of those things? It's a popular game and folks would be interested to hear clear details on why they should pick it up or revisit it. Look at practically every other thread in Games and see the care and attention that went into them. If you do that, then maybe we will have a thread on our hands.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread