Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Weeping Wound posted:

aah, okay, I didn't know that one

how long ago?

I think he's referring to Operation Paul Bunyan, which happened in the 70s. Long story short, a couple Americans went out to chop down a tree in the DMZ that was blocking their line of sight, and North Korean soldiers came out and hacked them to death. So the US army came back with a full armored battalion, jet cover, and a mechanical truck saw to cut the drat thing down. They all almost started WW3 over a drat tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

man way to overreact to some light ax-murder jeeze

The DMZ is serious business.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZYdv9KM5c

quote:

The event, which will last for about 20 days, is reportedly held to promote Taedonggang beer, Pyongyang's own brew and the most popular brand of beer in the country.

The beer, named after the Taedong River that runs through the capital is a full-bodied lager a little on the sweet side, with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

"It is great. This is one of the best beers," said a Pyongyang resident.

"This is world class beer. It is great. We have our leadership to thank for being able to drink to our hearts' content today," said another resident.

you can feel the humidity in this video

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Remember when Kim Jong Un got gout from eating too much cheese

That just makes him relatable to Americans

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the DMZ -- best korea????

Mines aside, the Korean DMZ is practically one big nature reserve.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Isn't that one of the stories that turned out to be bullshit?

which one?

Because being executed with artillery is pretty badass.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still weirded out that the North Koreans let a Confucianist cult have its own political party, and even lets them have seats in their parliament.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

General Dog posted:

Yeah I figure they get rid of them the old fashioned way- arresting them on bogus espionage charges and disposing of them in a less outlandish manner. You know, rather than publically making them the dopest, most metal martyrs imaginable

The North Koreans are so good at keeping secrets we don't even know they're genociding Christians, is your position.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

General Dog posted:

My position is that a few Christians have probably been killed, tough not explicitly for being Christian. And also probably not many, because how many can there be?

"Christians are treated like any other North Korean" just doesn't have the same dramatic quality as the steamroller story.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

America invading and bombing multiple sovereign countries has nothing to do with it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

exactly, it's really because the president had golf with shinzo abe

- incisive analysis from the nation

A disingenuous reading from Hamprince? Well I never!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

sorry i didnt put more effort into this dumbass piece of dprk apologism

poor lil' nk, being 'systematically blackmailed' into... not invading south korea?

this is the left wing equivalent of those moronic thinkpieces after the election about how we really have to empathize with these handsome and well dressed white nationalists

So really you're mad at this article for pointing out that North Korea has been threatened with nuclear weapons for over half a century, and that maybe that informs their decisions regarding their homebrew nuclear program.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We really are just wasting a lot of time and resources to make sure there's never any kind of reconciliation between the North and South. The ROK army is more than capable of defending their country without the constant deployment of American troops.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wikkheiser posted:

Yeah.

Also B.R. Myers pointed out in an interview this movie is popular in South Korea now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBGOM94PD4

Pretty interesting wunza movie if only for the setup. Wunza sexy North Korean investigator, and wunza bumbling South Korean detective. But together they go on crazy, hilarious adventures to take down a cross-border crime ring!

Tae Guk Gi was really good despite its cheesy setup, so maybe this is too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

North Korea is not lead by left-wing nationalists, it's a fascist state, it has the ethnic/racial bullshit built into it

I think you're misreading the post.

Besides, the North Koreans don't want to be on a war footing forever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Is your assumption that left-wing guys are gonna be 'weak' and cave to north threats, or that they'll buy the bullshit juche rhetoric? Because either is kinda silly.

According to the direct quote that's the North Korean assumption, that the inherent superiority of Juche Thought will conquer the hearts and minds of the South and wipe it from the map under communist direction.

The South Korean Left wants reconciliation with the North, and an end to chaebol rule.

Jose posted:

if you defect to NK do they hook you up with nice stuff?

Yes. The new policy is that defectors get some money and featured on North Korean television. They've also extended this to double-defectors, which is why lately there's been a few people who have gone back to the North.

There's an American guy who defected to the North all the way back in the Korean War, and they've used him as a propaganda mouthpiece ever since. Gave him a wife, a decent apartment, and all the amenities. He even denies that the famine happened during the 90s, probably because they shielded him from it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

What is the situation with the left in SK? From my very limited understanding of SK politics it definitely seems like a very heavily right-wing country between the now-impeached Park leading a very strongly authoritarian government, and the amount of influence the chaebols wield. Also, I didn't think there was actually any support for reunification in SK... it seems like any families split up by the war would have very few surviving kin remaining on the other side of the border, and the economic burden of helping NK recover would be tremendous.

Reconciliation doesn't necessarily mean reunification. There's also been a strong left wing current in the south compared to areas closer to the border, which have been suppressed before with American assistance, either by supporting a junta, installing a puppet or direct suppression.

It's American and corporate interests that tip the balance in favor of right wing politics. The Park administration is a major fuckup, so who knows how the next election will turn out.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Azathoth posted:

My favorite (possibly apocryphal) story about him is that he ruined a class of spies because the NK government used him to teach them English and he imparted his thick southern drawl to all of them, essentially ruining their ability to blend in.

Also, he apparently was in a bunch of films and was the go-to guy when they needed someone to play a Buck Turgidson-like American general.

Can't say he wouldn't know what they're like lmao.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't believe people think the Gulf War was bad while Iraqi soldiers were throwing Kuwaiti babies out of incubators.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

does it ever get tired, carrying the water for every horrifying regime on the planet? I'm beginning to think you're not a very good person

Does it ever get tiring going to war on false pretenses? You all never fight in them, so I guess not.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

SK pursued a pro-reconciliation 'sunshine policy' with the north during much of the 2000s and it went absolutely nowhere because the drpk leadership does not want reconciliation

There isn't room for reconciliation while the United States still occupies the South.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

pretty hard to go to war on the 'false pretence' that north korea has nukes

Sure, that's not false it's just retarded.

quote:

reconciliation step 1: make it way easier for us to beat u in a war

The ROK army is superior to the North's by every metric. They've even got those remote-controlled machineguns the Israelis developed to murder Palestinians.

quote:

also somebody should tell germany that they're under US 'occupation', i bet they'd be pretty mad if they found out

Germany is still occupied by the United States. Do you think that US forces being deployed to Korea hasn't created any problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhnARlO1qhE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangju_highway_incident

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Mar 24, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

agreed, its really tragic how american imperialism is preventing the peaceful reunification of germany

It's cool how normal it is now to just occupy foreign countries long after even nominal reasons no longer apply.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

.....you do realize where the word tankie comes from right?

So what, it's only wrong to occupy a foreign country if the Soviets do it?

Do you know what the phrase jack off means?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This whole line of argumentation doesn't even make sense, because the Soviets DID quit occupying Eastern Europe. They wouldn't even force the SRs to stay while they all declared independence one by one.

But it's cool to still have the American military deployed to Germany because...?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Russian breakaway Republic being supported by the Russian military applies to Soviet occupations, how exactly? You know the Transnistrians actually think the Russians betrayed them because the army started shooting at them when they tried to cross the river.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

hey poops here's a fun little 'where's waldo' type game for u: count the number of american tanks being used to supress this anti-government demonstration in seol

Maybe if they were calling for the overthrow of the government instead of the resignation of President Park there would be American tanks in those streets.

Here's American marines on the streets of Port-Au-Prince to guarantee the rule of the anti-Aristide coup.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sanctions are crippling humanitarian aid to North Korea right now, but surely that has nothing to do with their food insecurity.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/report-sanctions-disrupt-humanitarian-aid-north-korea-46340596

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I'm sure nukes are worth it

:yeah:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

How much food aid does South Korea require, pener

Well they're not under a sanctions regime, so you tell me.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Ryugyong Hotel somehow seems even more dystopian now that it's finished than when it was empty concrete floors.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

So the sanctions regime prevents them from growing their own food? How do they pay for their massive military, and for the party elites lifestyles? Seems like you could feed the whole country on that budget. The US sure must be powerful to prevent nk soil from working right

North Korea is a rocky and mountainous country with very little arable land to begin with. The vast majority of Korean farmland is in the South. North Korea has always had to rely on foreign trade to feed its population, which is why the famine was so devastating in the 90s after they lost trade with the Soviet Union. They keep maintaining the military first policy because they have a reasonable fear of being invaded after they were called part of the "Axis of evil."

So anyway, the argument of the reactionaries ITT is that it's good to starve an entire country because their supposedly unaccountable and tyrannical government has a homebrew nuclear weapons program, yielding warheads that are only barely more powerful than Fat Man, which they can't even fit on missiles and don't even have a missile that could ever reach the United States. And because of the threat that this program might some day give the North Koreans more leverage in negotiations, that means life should be harder for their people.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

You really are an apologist for the world's worst regimes. I hope you're getting something out of it besides googly eyes from your friend piss

I'll have you know I've never apologized for the United States.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

North Korea is bad primarily because of the United States and right wing South Korean governments doing everything they can to validate their paranoiac fears of invasion. Asking how North Korea could be so terrible without accounting for this history of pointless antagonism is idiotic. The situation isn't going to improve by creating starvation conditions you loving retards. They can just say to their people that it's the United States which is preventing them from having a full diet, and they're right.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

If you think about it, Hitler was good, because the US is bad.

The US occupiers certainly figured the Nazis were good while they tried to set up our West German puppet government.

Complain about the North Korean government starving its own citizens all you like, but the United States is literally strangling the flow of food to them.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Mar 25, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

From the first page of the thread.

Nobody is disputing any of that, lmao.

gobbagool posted:

Yes, I don't like totalitarians starving children because my dad was a hippy.

Is that why you think it's ok for the US to starve children?

It's honestly infuriating to see people claim that criticism of US policy for worsening the situation in Korea is some form of apologia. The point is that we're Americans and not Koreans. It's our government that's doing everything it can to make it worse, but the general response is to say it's ok to starve their whole country because they shouldn't have nuclear weapons.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Mar 25, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

We send north korear food all the time as tribute.

quote:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/report-sanctions-disrupt-humanitarian-aid-north-korea-46340596

The report issued this week by the U.N.'s senior resident official in Pyongyang said sanctions are inadvertently hindering legitimate operations on the ground and have indirectly contributed to a "radical decline" in donations it said are badly needed by millions of North Korean women and children.

It said "chronic food insecurity, early childhood malnutrition and nutrition insecurity" continue to be widespread in the North, which it noted ranked 98th out of 118 countries in the 2016 Global Hunger Index.

More than 10 million people — or about 41 percent of the North Korean population — are undernourished, it said.

To meet the "urgent needs of the most vulnerable," it called for $114 million in donations.

That could be a hard sell, no matter how dire the need.

Critics have long argued that aid to the North in effect serves to prop up the government by allowing it to focus more of its limited resources on building nuclear weapons, funding the country' million-man army or enriching the ruling elite, rather than spending on the segments of its population that are in the most need.

The report acknowledged such concerns have made getting donations increasingly difficult.

"The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is in the midst of a protracted, entrenched humanitarian situation largely forgotten or overlooked by the rest of the world," Tapan Mishra, who as resident coordinator in Pyongyang is responsible for U.N. development and other activities in the North, wrote in the report's introduction. "I appeal to donors not to let political considerations get in the way of providing continued support for humanitarian assistance and relief."

The report also noted sanctions are making it harder to conduct aid activities.

"While international sanctions imposed on DPRK clearly exempt humanitarian activities, they have unintentionally caused disruptions to humanitarian operations," it said.

In particular, it said the "regular disruption" of banking channels since 2013 has made it difficult or impossible to transfer funds into the country. It also cited the additional requirements for licenses and the time it takes to determine what is or is not a potential sanctions' violation as the cause of considerable delays that have forced agencies to "reprioritize" their aid activities.

The notion that a militarized garrison state like North Korea will somehow collapse if we cut off the flow of food to it is insane. They're just going to keep rationing subsistence calories to the masses, and those masses are never going to rise up and overthrow their government or do anything of the sort because they're probably too malnourished to even lift a rifle. It's punishing a whole people for the actions of a government which we claim is tyrannical, which is by definition a collective punishment. Doing this only reinforces their siege mentality and gives the North Korean government a claim to legitimacy in resisting the American imperialists. That's part of why they call the 90s famine the "arduous march." Their entire culture is militarized.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

So you're saying it's time for a "regime change"? :yeah:

I was in the invasion of Iraq in 03 and it was pretty boss.

If there's ever going to be a regime change it needs to be a domestic process, because illegitimate means will either reinforce the power of the Juche state, or you invade the country and get over a million people killed, which ultimately defeats the purpose.

When the people are no longer hungry, then they can start thinking about a life beyond Juche. The global community should be sending as much food as it can, not allow the United States to continue tightening the noose.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Setting aside all the other reasons we've gone over, sanctions just don't work.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

there wouldn't have been a Pol Pot without the french education system if you think about it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Scent of Worf posted:

Pol pot should have been skinned alive IMO

I dunno, what do you think would be better, flayed alive or the blood eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There is zero evidence that the North Korean state is on the precipice of collapse.

• Locked thread