Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

We went ahead and bought season 10 and it has some really great episodes. I remembered Frasier being on a general downward trend after daphne and Niles got together but this season is full of classic episodes

daphne and niles getting together resolved the romantic tension and thus destroyed the interest. they should have worked in some other romantic dynamic while they were leading up to that so they could lilly pad onto it and maintain interest

also :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm still pissed that Martin didn't end up with cam winstons mom

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It’s a very good show almost all the way to the end, the second to last episode Crock Tales is one of my favs for the way the story is told and how well done it is overall

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How would you explain the premise of Frasier to someone who has never seen it or heard about it before? Someone with absolutely no Frasier awareness whatsoever.

Could you do it in three sentences? Two? One sentence??

a sitcom where the buffoon main character always gets his comeuppance but instead of a blue color slob he's a pretentious richboi so it's all the more satisfying to watch him crash n burn every time

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

sudonim posted:

a sitcom where the buffoon main character always gets his comeuppance but instead of a blue color slob he's a pretentious richboi so it's all the more satisfying to watch him crash n burn every time

well that and toast sweat

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve never seen an episode of Frasier because at the time it was on TV every clip and commercial seemed to be :smug: character says something to another :smug: character and then canned laughter

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve never seen an episode of Frasier because at the time it was on TV every clip and commercial seemed to be :smug: character says something to another :smug: character and then canned laughter

Yeah that's about it. It's an awful show. Stay away

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
No I love Seinfeld and the same thing could be said about that show. I should just start the first season and give it a shot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Whether you like Frasier or not Frasier is going to outlive us all it's not something ephemeral like Dobie Gillis when I'm living in a nursing home in the 2050's I'm going to be pushed into the dayroom by a bored nurse and parked in front of a giant TV that plays 4 hours of Frasier and I'm gonna be too feeble to do anything except say "I used to post on the internet about this show, you know" to the drooling old dementia victim in the wheelchair next to mine

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Whether you like Frasier or not Frasier is going to outlive us all it's not something ephemeral like Dobie Gillis when I'm living in a nursing home in the 2050's I'm going to be pushed into the dayroom by a bored nurse and parked in front of a giant TV that plays 4 hours of Frasier and I'm gonna be too feeble to do anything except say "I used to post on the internet about this show, you know" to the drooling old dementia victim in the wheelchair next to mine

stop doxxing me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

No I love Seinfeld and the same thing could be said about that show. I should just start the first season and give it a shot

Your initial reaction is completely normal.

It's sort of like king of the hill, not for everyone but if you like it, you'll probably love it soon.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

:same:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

clammy posted:

daphne and niles getting together resolved the romantic tension and thus destroyed the interest. they should have worked in some other romantic dynamic while they were leading up to that so they could lilly pad onto it and maintain interest

also :synpa:

This thread has 5000 posts and has been going for 3 years and the 7th post was complaining about Niles and Daphne getting together

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This thread has 5000 posts and has been going for 3 years and the 7th post was complaining about Niles and Daphne getting together

Thread nails it from the get-go.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean I've only been here for almost a year but I've been reading the star trek thread for about that time and, yeah, of course? It's going to happen doubly so for frasier because there's much less content to watch than there is star trek

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:lol: In another year we'll basically have Bachelor degrees in "Frasier Thread Posting."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Admiral Frasier, etc.

Still reckon Frasier might be one of those characters well-defined enough that you could drop them in pretty much any setting and have a good idea of how they react, and that it'd be hilarious. (Other examples possibly include: Hank Hill, Johnny Bravo)

In general, he usually hits the right balance of a comedy protagonist who's enough of a jerk that his comeuppance is hilarious, but not so much that he can't be sympathetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still reckon Frasier might be one of those characters well-defined enough that you could drop them in pretty much any setting and have a good idea of how they react, and that it'd be hilarious. (Other examples possibly include: Hank Hill, Johnny Bravo)

That's basically how Grammer played him. He'd skim the script and then just "be Frasier" for the scene. He even did while completely hosed up or hungover.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

alexandriao posted:

I mean I've only been here for almost a year but I've been reading the star trek thread for about that time and, yeah, of course? It's going to happen doubly so for frasier because there's much less content to watch than there is star trek

I'm sorry for being kind of lovely I was just taking one of my every 6 month journeys to the first page to think about how lazy the OP is and how I should edit it to have more actual information about the show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The biggest missteps Frasier does are bringing daphnes family in, bringing in Kirby, making bulldog a regular character, and making Clint Webber a new station employee everyone likes but then he never shows up again. Is he still working there? Did he leave? There’s no closure to dr Clint Webber and it keeps me up at night

What I’m saying here is every episode should have a character saying they were talking to Clint Webber earlier

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frasier definitely has the common sitcom problem where after ten seasons they've basically run through almost everything the main characters can do so they panic and bring in one-dimensional gimmick characters to be -wacky- and cause -drama- despite being completely obnoxious, and either panic and withdraw them or keep using them as cheap plot devices/vehicles for jokes.

Daphne's obnoxious drunk chick magnet brother strikes me as a little wasted potential, given he's implied to be as smart as Frasier, and uses fancy-talk like he does to make fun of him but never makes any mistakes. There's more going on there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have been rewatching House and Kirby was in an episode we watched last night as a wheelchair cripple.

Its not sensible how much I hate Daphne's family. All of them. They're not real.

I actually started watching this show because Sideshow Bob is my favorite Simpsons character.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

protip

skip season 6 episode 15

it has aged like ratmilk

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Anytime Clint Webber is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, “where’s Clint Webber?”

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Achmed Jones posted:

CAM WINSTON!!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Mad Hamish posted:

CAM WINSTON!!
:fsmug:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

protip

skip season 6 episode 15

it has aged like ratmilk

This is because of Marty being a bad cop, right?

Still gotta watch it because of the introduction of Donny. Donny is good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is because of Marty being a bad cop, right?

Still gotta watch it because of the introduction of Donny. Donny is good.

yeah the whole plot is "it's okay to lie under oath, even as a cop, because the ends justify the means" and, uh.

/gestures wildly, in every direction, at everything, so enthusiastically it looks like i'm having some manner of fit

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fraiser 2020: part 1
Daphne votes for Brexit while attending a pro-immigration rally. Marty is called to court for lying under Oath. Frasier and Niles debate whether ALL cops are bad after a busty motorcycle cop takes a liking to them.

Frasier 2020: part 2
Frasier's condo lobby gets trashed amidst a city-wide protest involving Marty's perjury. Frasier rails against the protesters on his popular *on-line radio 'pod'cast*. The cast reflect on the valuable lessons they've learned and examine their privileges. Niles mistakes an 84 Chateaû de Flourçant for an 82 Bellé SangrÆrte and Daphne reveals she's been serving them Boone's Farm all these years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

food court bailiff posted:

yeah the whole plot is "it's okay to lie under oath, even as a cop, because the ends justify the means" and, uh.

/gestures wildly, in every direction, at everything, so enthusiastically it looks like i'm having some manner of fit

Ok, what if there was a comet hurtling toward the earth and the only way to save the planet would be to lie under oath? Would you like then?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bulldog needed a thorough redemption arc. Maybe be gets in deep trouble at work for sexual harassment, and has to reconcile his love of his work with his attitude towards women. As part of this he undertakes a rigorous spiritual therapy course. One entire episode follows Bulldog going along on a retreat to a desert sweat lodge, in which he experiences his sexually-objectified image of woman transmogrifying into his mother, his grandmother, a baby daughter in his arms, the potential wife he had sworn to love and defend. His heart breaks from being wrenched open to the torment, fear, and desperate love of the Sacred Feminine Experience. As he violently purges the toxic masculinity in a column of vomit upon the hot sand, he thinks only of Roz. How can he look upon Her, tell Her he loves Her after all the unredressed wrongs he had put upon her dignity?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

eh the bulldog micro-pseudo-failed-redemption episode is fantastic as-is though

the scene where he breaks his own finger to intimidate that guy always makes me want to laugh and vomit simultaneously

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh the irony of having Niles, totally obsessed with a woman, and Bulldog, a jock who only objectifies women, both played by gay men. And so well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And the guy who played Gil Chesterton was INSANELY jacked. He was always dressed in thick layers to hide it but the man was a beast.

Probably got thick from romping in the surreys...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They don't call him "Chesty" for nothing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FilthyImp posted:

And the guy who played Gil Chesterton was INSANELY jacked. He was always dressed in thick layers to hide it but the man was a beast.

Probably got thick from romping in the surreys...

Shoulda been a problematic episode where Gil invites him to a gym and Frasier is convinced the whole time it's like a sexy gay sauna and Gil is being completely normal while Frasier vacillates wildly between cringe overtures of support and gay panic. It would fit in neatly...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Free Peppo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Heaven on Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Shoulda been a problematic episode where Gil invites him to a gym and Frasier is convinced the whole time it's like a sexy gay sauna and Gil is being completely normal while Frasier vacillates wildly between cringe overtures of support and gay panic. It would fit in neatly...

By the end of it, Frasier's become a gym snob.