Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frasier is like an Ursula K Le Guin novel compared to Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really should reread Lathe of Heaven. Been awhile.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Frasier is like an Ursula K Le Guin novel compared to Friends

But who would win in a 5v5 fist fight? It would definitely come down to Roz vs. Phoebe

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
3v3 MAHVEL BABY style!

"Ooooooh Forehead puttin the slam down on Doge!!!

DR. DR. WHERE IS THE DOCTAH?!"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I like to give this a listen every once in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgU9B07vaeU

Reading the comments on this video for the first time, speculation has it that Le Cigare Volant (flying cigar, the French idiom for 'flying saucer') is a reference to a fictional restaurant in the Seattle Space Needle. It's an interesting conjecture but I'm picturing it as a cut above anything we see in the series, and trying to imagine it in a particular place is like the re-release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind- we benefit nothing by seeing the inside of the spaceship (I regret making this choice deeply) because nothing that can be shown on film matches what we imagined it to be.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm sorry for being kind of lovely I was just taking one of my every 6 month journeys to the first page to think about how lazy the OP is and how I should edit it to have more actual information about the show.

I didn't think you were being lovely :)

It's all good!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oldpainless posted:

The biggest missteps Frasier does are bringing daphnes family in, bringing in Kirby, making bulldog a regular character, and making Clint Webber a new station employee everyone likes but then he never shows up again. Is he still working there? Did he leave? There’s no closure to dr Clint Webber and it keeps me up at night

I don't remember Clint Webber. Was Kirby in more than a handful of episodes?I hated Daphne's family, doubly so as a Brit. American scriptwriters don't understand anything about Britain so they make it up on the spot and it really loving shows.

The stereotypes are so far out of date I get whiplash every time. And the plots are just. so loving boring, not to mention that Daphne's mother is so annoying in every single episode by the end you're literally begging them to just kick her out. That style of character, someone that annoying, is supposed to be over a 1 - 2 episode arc. Enough time for the audience to get to know them and get irritated, not enough so it drags. Hoo boy, they hosed up on that one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

alexandriao posted:

I don't remember Clint Webber. Was Kirby in more than a handful of episodes?I hated Daphne's family, doubly so as a Brit. American scriptwriters don't understand anything about Britain so they make it up on the spot and it really loving shows.

The stereotypes are so far out of date I get whiplash every time. And the plots are just. so loving boring, not to mention that Daphne's mother is so annoying in every single episode by the end you're literally begging them to just kick her out. That style of character, someone that annoying, is supposed to be over a 1 - 2 episode arc. Enough time for the audience to get to know them and get irritated, not enough so it drags. Hoo boy, they hosed up on that one.

Clint Weber shows up once in Season 5 as this dashing, handsome doctor who's better than Frasier in every way. The episode ends with him being humiliated after Frasier realizes he has a terrible singing voice, so he tricks Weber into singing at the piano during a dinner party at his condo.

Kirby shows up maybe a half-dozen times across the last few seasons.

And, yes, Gertrude Moon is perhaps the most annoying character on the show.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I always loved how Simon would waddle into Frasier's apartment and then just flop onto the sofa.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao what an episode

quote:

Frasier: Yes, of course you do, but I think for this evening it would be best if you just excused yourself. You see, it involves quick thinking and improvisational skills, and a knack for remembering details.

Martin: Oh, I never used any of those skills as an undercover cop.

Niles: Please don't be offended-

Martin: [sits down] No, I'm not offended, my two sons have just said I've got oatmeal for brains.

Daphne and Clive enter.

Clive: So, Daphne tells me that you two are both psychiatrists.

Frasier: Yes.

Clive: Fascinating. Are you a psychiatrist as well, Marty?

Martin: Me? No, I'm retired.

Clive: What did you do?

Martin: [beat] I was an astronaut.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
i assume the Frasier reboot coming this year is known to this thread.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Frasier gets his mullet back

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

datajugend posted:

Frasier gets his mullet back

Man I hope so, that season 1 thing is amazing.

Timby posted:

And, yes, Daphne Moon is definitely the most annoying character on the show.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Done right, a one-off with Frasier and Niles self-quarantining in Frasier's apartment, drinking wine and commenting on the protests below would be amazing.

Done right, meaning with good, solid, character-based writing, mind you...which means it would be totally out of the realm of possibility.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

i assume the Frasier reboot coming this year is known to this thread.

I thought it was supposed to be summer of 2020, so I doubt it will happen this year at all what with all the Covids and what nots.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

For some reason I have hard time trusting 2020 tv writers to come up with anything else than utter poo poo designed to extract as many streaming dollars from a beloved old franchise as possible before abandoning its mutilated corpse in a muddy ditch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A series of misunderstandings and escalating charades that end up with Frasier and Niles leading a protest

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/thiccsonic/status/1271260720038940674?s=21

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
We already saw how Frasier reacts to civil disobedience, he punked out and let daphne get arrested

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kelsey Grammar can't do a Frasier reboot or movie right now because he still has to play Doc Sarvis in an adaptation of The Monkeywrench Gang, which should also star Hugh Jackman as Hayduke

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frasier: I've been hearing a lot about Black Lives Matter but isn't that exactly the sort of separation we're trying to combat, Seattle? The- the- the picking and choosing which lives matter on the basis of skin color? If there's one thought I'd like to leave you with today, it's this: All Lives Matter. Good night, Seattle.

(to Roz) how did I do?

Roz: Great, Fraz. You didn't miss the point at all.

Frasier: Strange way to put it, but thank you. I've always considered myself a friend of the underdog. Say, do you think that would be a good fit for that new Tweeter account we set up?

Roz: I'm sure it'll make waves there.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Frasier did a race episode too, how easy I forget as I don’t have the complete series. Instead of the Simpsons, people should be focused on the Frasier Predictions :tinfoil:

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

The only 'Chaz' I am interested in is the one I met at Cher's London atelier!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A series of misunderstandings and escalating charades that end up with Frasier and Niles leading a protest

i say niles isnt it about time Javert gave up the chase so to speak

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

2 penny bottle imp posted:

The only 'Chaz' I am interested in is the one I met at Cher's London atelier!

MARTIN: Cher has a factory in London?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

barbecue at the folks posted:

For some reason I have hard time trusting 2020 tv writers to come up with anything else than utter poo poo designed to extract as many streaming dollars from a beloved old franchise as possible before abandoning its mutilated corpse in a muddy ditch.

There have been a few good modern comedy shows. The Good Place, for example. And they knew when to end it, too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

most of the best content that has come out lately has been raw satire

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dont know how it will lead to a protest bit it should begin with Frasier recieving a box with Martin and eddies ashes in identical urns, but the labels fell off during transport.

"Oh come on Niles! We might as well just crack open a beer and see wich one moves!"

After the protest Frasier and Niles brings Martins urn to spread it at Martins favorite camping spot. Frasier gives a long and hearthfelt speech as Niles empties the urn but a collar falls out, Niles looks inside the urn in shock as Frasier slowly turns his head with shaking rage.

End credits is a slow zoom on Martins real urn in his chair with the tv on.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just found Frasier on Hulu, I hope I'm the last person to find out. I've been reflexively going to Netflix and looking for it like a sleepwalker

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't have Hulu and don't want to pay for it so I now don't have access to my favorite show.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://youtu.be/2bUV9PJfbJ0

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I think we just bought season 11 on iTunes

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is it HD on the streaming services? I don't subscribe any as I live in the sticks and it's a crapshoot if youtube is going to work without buffering every 5 seconds on any given night.

If it is hd, it jarring seeing it in 16:9?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is it HD on the streaming services? I don't subscribe any as I live in the sticks and it's a crapshoot if youtube is going to work without buffering every 5 seconds on any given night.

If it is hd, it jarring seeing it in 16:9?

Just checked, on Hulu it's HD, side bars on earlier episodes. It's as jarring as anything else in sideways letterbox, a I guess. I think they're all there, too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just watched the whole series on Hulu. It’s not in HD, looks like poo poo. Was like a punch in the face going from the HD cheers straight into 90s broadcast quality Frasier.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Well yeah, you’re supposed to be listening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Only the last season or two are natively HD, so those were HD and 16:9 on Netflix, and the rest were SD. It would certainly be nice to get HD remasters done some day. I don't think it's out of the question for a show that's still pretty popular and has no special effects, assuming they didn't lose the film reels.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There’s zero excuse not to remaster every show that ever existed now that production on new ones has ground to a halt. They’ll resist of course until it becomes enlightened self interest and there’s no other way to make money

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Only the last season or two are natively HD, so those were HD and 16:9 on Netflix, and the rest were SD. It would certainly be nice to get HD remasters done some day. I don't think it's out of the question for a show that's still pretty popular and has no special effects, assuming they didn't lose the film reels.

After a little googling it seems like Frasier was recorded on film, not video tape, so they really could go back and make the first few seasons HD, I guess thats what they did for Cheers

vv yes, agreed, correct, with that insight and directness I'm glad you're on our side vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not like anything worthwhile is being worked on in TV or film or has been for many years so they should just focus on remastering Frasier, the one thing worth doing