Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

supernatural blonde posted:

Dear god, the last ever episode was on this morning and what a turd of an episode that was just like the dozen or so before it.
Still cried a tiny bit even through the schmaltzy cheese-fest.

The wedding wasn’t nearly farcical enough. I love the dinner party episodes that are full of physical comedy. It was just all a bit weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's cool if you just decide that Frasier had a psychotic break and Boss is the continuation of his life in Chicago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i loved Grammer's portrayal as a supremely corrupt and disturbingly powerful politician, but i think the story about Tom Kane's mental deterioration just wasn't well-developed enough; it always took a backseat to the political intrigue, at least from my perspective.

if the show had made it a story about Tom Kane's grasp on power slipping away due to other issues (family, skeletons in the closet, w/e) that probably would have been more compelling; alternately a show more focused on Kane's grasp on reality slipping away could have been more insightful. instead i feel like they tried to do both and didn't really adequately fulfill either. maybe they could have done both if they'd had more episodes in the season to work with, who knows.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cool if you just decide that Frasier had a psychotic break and Boss is the continuation of his life in Chicago.

alternately, Boss represents the alternate Simpsons timeline where Sideshow Bob's swindling of the election for mayor goes unchallenged

like tell me Bob Kane isn't the incarnation of "deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king :argh:"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The people on Frasiers condo board all loving hate him

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

It’s worth it for Frasiers death glare when Martin sits in the eames recliner

“I would have been okay with this!” :v:

The joke would've worked a lot better without that long, climactic speech Martin did in the first season about how his chair was the one remnant of his old life, how it was tied up with the most precious memories a man could ever have, and how no god drat leather recliner could ever even come close.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

oldpainless posted:

You're the one who suggested that flaming kebabs would lend a festive air

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

oldpainless posted:

scott knowles hates frasier

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cosmik Slop posted:

The joke would've worked a lot better without that long, climactic speech Martin did in the first season about how his chair was the one remnant of his old life, how it was tied up with the most precious memories a man could ever have, and how no god drat leather recliner could ever even come close.

Yeah, but much like his brother they forgot about that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Coming this fall

Frazier

Is same show as Frasier but with boxer Joe Frazier instead of fancy psychologist

Punch people! Hate Ali! Laugh a lot

Solve problem with punch

Frazier (Joe)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I rewatched the finale for the first time in years due to the recent posts and it was great! The part where they all think Frasier is going to die is very funny.

Also did Frasier leave KACL without giving proper notice?? That's a dick move.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cosmik Slop posted:

:wrong: it makes the joke even better, because giving impassioned speeches and going back on them later is a mondo Crane move

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

food court bailiff posted:

:wrong: it makes the joke even better, because giving impassioned speeches and going back on them later is a mondo Crane move

That's very true. I'm going to agree with that and just retcon it as Marty being as dramatic and ridiculous as his kids.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i loved Grammer's portrayal as a supremely corrupt and disturbingly powerful politician, but i think the story about Tom Kane's mental deterioration just wasn't well-developed enough; it always took a backseat to the political intrigue, at least from my perspective.

if the show had made it a story about Tom Kane's grasp on power slipping away due to other issues (family, skeletons in the closet, w/e) that probably would have been more compelling; alternately a show more focused on Kane's grasp on reality slipping away could have been more insightful. instead i feel like they tried to do both and didn't really adequately fulfill either. maybe they could have done both if they'd had more episodes in the season to work with, who knows.

He was getting sicker towards the end of season two, so I assume if they’d continued the show he would have deteriorated more. I liked Boss and thought it’d be the kind of political drama that’d run for several seasons. But they cut it off on that cliffhanger, agh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember the early chair-replacing episode was in like, the first season or third, at most? Would make sense that as he's gotten used to living with Frasier, Marty becomes less insecure about his situation and willing to give change a try when it happens on his own terms.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SEX BURRITO posted:

He was getting sicker towards the end of season two, so I assume if they’d continued the show he would have deteriorated more. I liked Boss and thought it’d be the kind of political drama that’d run for several seasons. But they cut it off on that cliffhanger, agh.

Man that show was really brutal, too. When they take out that Hispanic politician was one of the creepier death scenes of that nature I've seen.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/tresdessert/status/656263523971026944

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Makes it look like Frasier is calling out Niles in the ring. I want to see this episode. And WWE's done weirder crossovers.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"meet me at the le cigar violent in 15 minutes if you want an rear end kickin"

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

SEX BURRITO posted:

The wedding wasn’t nearly farcical enough. I love the dinner party episodes that are full of physical comedy. It was just all a bit weak.

Saw Where There's Smoke There's Fired last week. The level of comedy was so much better in the early seasons. It was much sharper and clever. By the end it was a blunt instrument and they knew it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

LOOOOK AT YOURSELVES

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Saw Where There's Smoke There's Fired last week. The level of comedy was so much better in the early seasons. It was much sharper and clever. By the end it was a blunt instrument and they knew it.

Some episodes of the later seasons remind me of this joke:

Two men walk into a bar. One of them is kind of stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone watched this video "Dark secrets the cast of Frasier tried to hide"?

https://youtu.be/tncZ-fQ4YD8

I haven't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, those are basically all just Kelsey Grammar. Mahoney snuck in there once.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has anyone watched this video "Dark secrets the cast of Frasier tried to hide"?

https://youtu.be/tncZ-fQ4YD8

I haven't.

Hey it's a bunch of poo poo reported in People Magazine in the 1980s and 90s. No one tried to hide any of this poo poo. Grammer's "scandals" were all widely reported when Cheers was still on the air.

Besides, Grammer's darkest "secret" is he's a Trump supporter.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Some episodes of the later seasons remind me of this joke:

Two men walk into a bar. One of them is kind of stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.

I feel like Season 1-6 are rock solid, the middle seasons are too "dramatic" (the whole Daphne/Niles romance arc sucked the air out of the show), and the last two seasons are generally kind of funny but basically trying to grab some Seinfeld absurdism mojo, a kind of decaf version of the real thing. That parking garage episode plays like the most tedious Curb Your Enthusiasm episode ever.

Bonus bullshit opinion: Cheers has a much better overall run, and is probably the greatest three-camera sitcom ever made. At its best, Frasier is a sequel of Cheers with fewer gut laughs and a little more forced poignancy. I still like it though. It's soothing.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 24, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Love Rat posted:

That parking garage episode plays like the most tedious Curb Your Enthusiasm episode ever.

Most of CYE was pretty tedious to watch.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Most of CYE was pretty tedious to watch.

I always liked it, but I get why people don't.

What was awful about that Frasier episode it was trying to do WASP Larry David, and failed. Plus it was one of those "Frasier is suddenly a complete moron" episodes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The characters act dumb because they're constantly drinking and popping pills.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Love Rat posted:

I always liked it, but I get why people don't.

What was awful about that Frasier episode it was trying to do WASP Larry David, and failed. Plus it was one of those "Frasier is suddenly a complete moron" episodes.

Seriously, the man made it into the Hall of Thinkers

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/frasier

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

more like old craneless

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
It's crazy how fat grammar got during cheers

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

Who is the Asian woman in the background of almost every episode from the 1st season to the very last?

Uh...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What a low-key curse

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Before you die...you hear the blues a-callin'

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Before you die...you hear the blues a-callin'

For in the end, we are all just tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why would anyone put scrambled eggs on a tossed salad??

Love Rat posted:

For in the end, we are all just tossed salad and scrambled eggs.