Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Spicy red hot take: Maybe they should build tracks where you can't run off the track to carry through way more speed or just accept that to be part of the track instead of haphazardly enforcing track limits.

Yes cota especial is poo poo for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Actually, Max got the penalty because everybody forgot until the last moment that he’s under 21. It was damage control, because F1’s American owners wanted to avoid condoning underage drinking and a penalty seemed believable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All FIA tracks require a specific amount of paved runoff because ~reasons~ (ok, it doesn't catch cars as easily and allows them to slide to the gravel traps away from traffic). However, when the speed bumps were introduced that would wreck cars, the drivers bitched and the height of them got lowered or something.

ANYWAY.

So, for Mexico, Seb HAS to finish in front of Lewis or it's over. That said, he needs to make up 17 points to stay alive, as the current point difference is 66 points. Lewis has clinched the tiebreaker on wins today, putting him at 9 wins on the season to Seb's 4.

Clinching Scenarios:
-Seb finishes behind Lewis.
-Seb fails to finish 1st or 2nd.
-If Seb finishes 1st, Lewis can finish 5th or better.
-If Seb finishes 2nd, Lewis can finish 9th or better.

In other words, a 5th place or better finish will clinch the WDC for Hamilton, and Vettel goes home in (likely) 2nd.

Though Bottas could potentially snipe 2nd away (unlikely but possible).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why even put the effort into that io? There's not a chance in hell Ferrari doesn't gently caress it up somehow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only way the championship isn't already over is if Hamilton DNFs.

He knows this too which is why he let Verstappen past so easily in Malaysia.

At this point the more interesting question is will Seb be able to hold on to 2nd or will Ferrari Fail again and end up giving Bottas the chance to nab 2nd. After today Ferrari looking okay, but another Singapore, Malaysia or Suzuka and blam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Why even put the effort into that io? There's not a chance in hell Ferrari doesn't gently caress it up somehow.

I'm bored.

And while that's true, I just wanted to know how boned they were.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Didn't see the race.

lol Ferrari

Poor Are Dan. The race should've been cancelled as soon as his car died

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

Seriously though 16th to 4th is good driving. Nothing to feel bad about there Max.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously though 16th to 4th is good driving. Nothing to feel bad about there Max.

Yeah, he put on a show but got dicked over in the end. Had Kimi given up a tad more we'd still have Max on the podium.

Oh, and Merc clinched the WCC, for what it's worth.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I got to see Ricciardo's car go kaput right in front of me

:911:

:same:

also based on that shadow it was a turkey vulture riding an updraft, not an eagle--but what better metaphor for america, really

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wuffles posted:

:same:

also based on that shadow it was a turkey vulture riding an updraft, not an eagle--but what better metaphor for america, really

Bald eagles are massive loving dicks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's some bonus pics I took of Dan

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

iospace posted:

Bald eagles are massive loving dicks.

Aussie Wedge Tail Eagles are the true alphas

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-05-29/wedge-tailed-eagles-and-drones-competing-for-airspace/8566912

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Wirth1000 posted:

Max drank the water though

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine if he found out via that screen thats rattling off tweets. :v:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel bad for are max

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max has told Dutch media that it was a "ridiculous decision, made by a mongoloid steward" lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oliwan posted:

Max has told Dutch media that it was a "ridiculous decision, made by a mongoloid steward" lol

He's not wrong.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh the Dutch word for mongoloid is "mongool", which also means "Mongolian" so maybe the steward is from Mongolia and doesn't actually have downs

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

oliwan posted:

Ooof.
This could be big.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Max has had about 400 dnfs this season so he won't care what they do to him.

Niki Lauda, who will be completely unaffected by running his mouth, is running his mouth. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-verstappen-us-gp-penalty-worst-decision-969285/ He's calling out Charlie and Todt, while giving out details of super secret strategy meeting where it was agreed that unless one car put another in danger then they would let them race.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

oliwan posted:

Well at least the Verstappens have quickly ceded any possible moral high ground they could have had. Not that "it's bad for the show" is really any good moral high ground.

He's 20. He's got 15 more years of podiums ahead of him. Calm the gently caress down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I also have a wild theory.

It is a bad idea to make people who have known a driver since they were a baby a steward. No matter what the driver's behaviour has been like in the past they are going to want to show that they are not doing him any favours, and in some cases want to make an example of him. You have to wonder how many decisions by ex-drivers like Salo went against Rosberg as well.

That decision was made in seconds and was a gut reaction, they didn't take into account the agreement to let them race or that everyone else had been cutting corners and not been punished for it. Reeks like your dad's friend giving a penalty against you when it should have been a free kick as "extra punishment, I would have expected more from you kid, this is for embarrassing me and letting me down"

It's a legacy left by Bernie, in the 1970s when there wasn't instant playback or as many cameras then having a driver as a steward made sense. Now it is an out of date boys own club and highlights exactly why Liberty need to go through the sport with a big axe and hack out the cancer that is all the bitter old farts who think they own it, television presenters included.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That's plausible, and I agree that there's probably a lot of work to do with how the judging and stewarding works.

Apparently the reason Horner was so upset was that when this happened last time - to Max, natch, in Mexico 2016 - FIA promised that they would not rejigger the podium right after the race but sort it out after the celebrations were over. That would've been fine here. You avoid the drama in the cooldown room, Max gets to spray the champagne, but by the end of the day the actual order and scoring reflects the rules. E.g. if you're a Ron Dennis about the rules, like me, you shouldn't care that much about who gets to stand on the podium, but that the official classification is correct.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

one of these men is the most gifted racer to have ever lived
the other is the direct opposite

it's like poetry

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

oliwan posted:

tbh the Dutch word for mongoloid is "mongool", which also means "Mongolian" so maybe the steward is from Mongolia and doesn't actually have downs

Finnish, of course he's going to rule in favour of Kimi.

Not sure how I feel about the decision tbh, Bottas definitely gained an advantage by leaving the track and retaining his position when Max was attacking him. I guess the "enduring advantage" they were crapping on about didn't apply since Max got him the next corner.

Anyway bring on next season, if the Mclaren chassis is as good as Alonso and others say it is I'm looking forward to seeing him up there fighting for podiums.

Deepfried fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 23, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

one of these men is the most gifted racer to have ever lived
the other is the direct opposite

it's like poetry

I enjoyed the bit where ham man got bored of being behind Vettel and breezed passed him like the binman he is

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Max has had about 400 dnfs this season so he won't care what they do to him.

Niki Lauda, who will be completely unaffected by running his mouth, is running his mouth. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-verstappen-us-gp-penalty-worst-decision-969285/ He's calling out Charlie and Todt, while giving out details of super secret strategy meeting where it was agreed that unless one car put another in danger then they would let them race.

I guess he's not aware of the even more secret meeting that takes place before every GP between Ferrari and the FIA, where they agree that every race control decision should favor Ferrari

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is nice news (for a change) Renault are saying Carlos Sainz only came 7th because they told him to hold station and not try and overtake Ocon - issue with fuel apparently.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

I enjoyed the bit where ham man got bored of being behind Vettel and breezed passed him like the binman he is

yes i too enjoy a formula where a single car is so good the driver can just push a "gently caress you lol" engine map button that makes the car so fast you can overtake anyone and anything, this is very exciting racing to me

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Will Buxton revealed on Twitter that he wrote all the little intro speeches Michael Buffer gave. [swiftly walks through door labeled WRONG PEOPLE ONLY]

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cgfreak posted:

yes i too enjoy a formula where a single car is so good the driver can just push a "gently caress you lol" engine map button that makes the car so fast you can overtake anyone and anything, this is very exciting racing to me
Back in the good old days, Mercedes drivers didn't even have to push an engine map button, they just drove around at a leisurely pace and finished 12 minutes ahead of everyone else. Always the greatest of engineering from the greatest country.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

cgfreak posted:

Red Bull won all their titles using this exact strategy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Will Buxton revealed on Twitter that he wrote all the little intro speeches Michael Buffer gave.

Colour me surprised.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

No penalty? Looks like Jos was right.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Almost didn't bother watching this one, what the poo poo was with all that crap before the start of the race? and the "gentleman.. START YOUR ENGINES" thing :psyduck:

Eurgh.

Sainz looked like he was rocking it.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

wicka posted:

Red Bull won all their titles using this exact strategy.

Yeah and it loving sucked, who here has good memories of the vettelsreich?

I simply thought the suggestion that Lewis' overtake on Vettel happened because he's such a ~~superior driver~~ is ludicrous. He is much better than Vettel, but not by that much. That overtake was literally too easy.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lewis Hamilton has to be the biggest loser and cringiest WDC ever. What the gently caress is this im a celeb bullshit, knock it off.

Schumacher 2000-2005 was good, he finally beating Hakkinen and that loving idiot Couldthard was awesome IMO.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No penalty? Looks like Jos was right.

But Carlos ended up behind Ocon any way

• Locked thread