Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CratSock posted:

In all seriousness, they are certainly the most prolific. At 933 races entered, They're over 100 more than McLaren, almost 300 more than Williams, and teams like Sauber, Brabham, Lotus, and Tyrell are all in the 400's. Having that much of a presence means they're likely to have a good chunk of successful results in the series. I can see the attraction to a team with that much history, and I can't deny that they really are a big part of F1. I'm sure someone somewhere has modeled an overall "points per season" success list, which would be skewed, but interesting to see who is best in that sense, and in overall history regardless of years participating.

But, current Ferrari has been a bit of a mess, although they're looking very good this year. Every team has up and down swings, it's just fun to point and laugh when they do things like "all Italian engineers" or make comically bad strategy calls. As it is for Red Bull. Or *sniff* McLaren. :saddowns: The more successful a team is, the more likely someone is going to enjoy watching them struggle.

Brawn GP: 100% WDC and WCC record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm fully erect

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
"Wehrlein doesn't know what Wehrlein's doing" :lol:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Red cars got held up behind him while he was doing long run pace = Bottas is too slow

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Please tell me that chucklefuck who rear ended that other car during F2 quali is VJ's son?

Gustav Malja is not related to Vijay Mallya

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yeah it's an entirely reasonable connection to make

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Whatever bullying he receives, it's not enough until he actually leaves the sport

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

I wonder how long till Bottas emotion chip is enabled? He pulled a Kimi on team radio. "Eh that's my first pole guys" *dead eyes

He did a little fist pump when he got out of the car, which is pretty extreme behaviour for a Finn

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kilmers Elbow posted:

You have to go back to 2008 for the last Finnish pole position - Fast Heikki(!) at the British GP.

This fun fact came from my brain and it's only a coincidence that it says the exact same thing on the BBC website.

:lol: Kimi is such poo poo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There are non JJoc* rumours that Merc are offering to help Honda out on the down low like they did for Renault a couple of years back

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

Wait what was this about? Why did they help Renault?

When Renault were having problems with the new engine formula Mercedes gave them a bit of assistance, because being both quicker and more reliable than your competitors gets really boring. For as much poo poo as Honda are getting, that first Renault engine was a pile of poo poo too. There's a reason Red Bull tried to get away until Renault sorted their act out.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Can someone help me figure precisely when this thread decided Bottas was actually some shitbox driver?

He jumped into his first competitive car and wasn't immediately on pace with two multiple world champions. Also he lost it behind the safety car - something only poo poo-tier drivers do

SchumacherMonaco2004.gifv

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Powershift posted:

he lost a lot to pastor when they were team mates too.

He scored 4 points to Maldonado's 1 in his rookie season, then consistently finished above Massa by 51 points, 15 points and 32 points

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Powershift posted:

He scored more points because he finished 8th once and maldonado finished 10th once. points don't tell you poo poo when neither driver gets one in 17 of 19 races. Maldonado finished ahead in 9 of the races they both finished, Bottas only 5.

Even in a shitbox outscoring your more experienced teammate in your first season isn't exactly underperforming

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mallya has been pretty irrelevant to Force India for a while now, especially with their big pink sponsorship deal. I can see them dropping the Force India name next season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Lego should offer a 77 decal to replace the 6s

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Aren't all Lego people yellow?

Originally all Lego people were yellow, but now some lines have skin tones because of all the licensed stuff they do. It's not correct that yellow=caucasian, but it is odd that they chose not to go with the skin colour minifigs for these models. But then they got the Petronas colour all wrong too, so who knows? Low effort branding, probably added late in the design process. My guess is Lego designed an F1 set and then did a deal with Mercedes to brand it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dubs posted:

honda should only supply them if they go by BMW sauber - ... again

BMW-Sauber-Ferrari, never4get

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
  • Drivers' names and numbers will be made clearer on all cars from the Spanish Grand Prix on 12-14 May
  • Teams currently not on the strategy group - which has until now been restricted to Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, McLaren and Force India - will be invited
  • Controversial shark fins and so-called T-wings that have appeared on cars this season will be banned from 2018
  • Next year, any race that is stopped with a red-flag period will be resumed from a standing start
  • Measures will be taken to ensure that oil will not be used as fuel in 2018

Sounds pretty good with the exception of the standing starts after red flags. Races red flagged for weather will never restart.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo :stonk:

I thought F1 and Indy tubs are loving strong today, and even then that's not a crash to sneeze at by any means. He's loving lucky as all hell.

Sadly, F4 doesn't have the same standard :smith:

:lol: "the car was a write-off" no loving poo poo, mate

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Kvyat can't even get in the press conference at his home GP. Ricciardo, Raikkonen and Wehrlein? Seriously?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's energy drink flavour

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's because Dandelion & Burdock is the king of drinks

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's actually really good

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Better than corn syrup and corn syrup and corn syrup

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Started watching the first episode of The Grand Tour and I'm realizing I absolutely hate all of the audience based in-studio segments.

"Here's our guest, and they've died" is potentially funny the first time you see it, and because they had a different audience each time who'd never seen it before, they got the false impression that it was really funny and not tedious. Repeat for every tepid running gag

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
North America is kinda bad at sausages and savoury pies. I tried to make a toad in the hole in Canada, but the sausages were awful and ruined the whole thing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
British food being exceptionally bad is a bizarre American stereotype like the stupid teeth thing. Even the French will accept that we make good home cooking and deserts

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Is the entire McLaren operation based out of Woking? I only visited the main part, but I don't think I saw a bit that could house their factory

The MTC is an underground Bond villain base, there's plenty of room for the factory, it's just not tidy enough for Ron to want it on view

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Australians willingly put pineapple and beetroot on burgers, so their culinary opinions are void

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I would pay a lot of money for a Felipe Massa Russian doll. Almost as much as CVC are being investigated for bribing the FIA for the 2013 concorde agreement.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

He was promising in 2013 and especially 2014, but seemed to plateau from 2015-onwards. He's talented but not talent enough for a top seat it seems.

But enough about Hulkenberg. Meanwhile Valteri Bottas just won a Grand Prix

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Mercades won a GP*

He made the only overtake of the race to get ahead of a quicker car, meanwhile the other guy in a Merc was hilariously off pace

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Yes he won by turn 1
I don't see anything impressive here?

He overtook at Sochi, something nobody else managed

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It would have been hilarious if Bottas turned out to be completely shite, but it seems like he actually has some decent chops, and you're going to have to get used to it. Having 3 + maybe Kimi challenging for the title is way better than just Hamilton and Vettel, surely?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not arbitrarily deciding he's poo poo and viewing everything through that lens doesn't make me a Bottas fan.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

He's had one not poo poo result in argiably the field's best car and your practically placing the WDC in his hands while simultaneously jerking your dick.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt rather than writing him off after 4 races in arguably only the second best car which he has had 3 podiums, one of which was a win. He's not setting the world on fire but he's not the total garbage people were painting him as before he even drove the car.

Also I'm jerking my dick for entirely unrelated reasons

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gigi Galli posted:

The problem with Bottas is that he's boring. That's literally it. If he cracked jokes or frowned or maybe showed emotion we wouldn't even be talking about this. His driving is fine; he's not dangerous, he seems ok when he's out front. He's not spectacular by any means but we haven't seen much actual racing from him yet in this car.

He's less boring than Kimi, but people seem to love him

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
These commentators are so patronising :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Seriously why isn't this the F1 livery?

• Locked thread