Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TurboDrizzle posted:

You're right. The video isnt good enough. I'll add them ASAP for new readers.

I've already started on basic team/driver write-ups, I'll post them later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Not really. You can Google and find Renault requesting further clarification on the rules around burning oil and some other snippets. The podcast I am listening to it where they go into it in some detail is from this site:
https://www.formula1blog.com/

It's a nice agreeable American asking an English engineer about F1 stuff, I found it quite pleasant to listen to.

This was also mentioned by Sam Collins during last week's Radio Le Mans Midweek Motorsport. Comes to a similar conclusion - the Mercedes smelled more like an Actros than a racing car sometimes, Mercedes had asked for clarification previously, and the design of the engine leads to more natural oil burning than in a passenger car engine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

ha, another thing if you're a F1 noob is once upon a time it was ok to put tobacco advertising on cars and oh boy did they ever do that and everyone made a fuckton of money. So much so that probably a good percentage of movers and shakers in the paddock are just managing investments following that time.

Or the fact that Marlboro's parent company Philip Morris still spends a shitload of money subletting the entire Ferrari sponsorship, to the tune of $160 million per year. They then sell on the sponsorship space, though obviously partners like Shell get more preferential treatment then Ray-Ban or others.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Driver and Team Guide 2017

Teams listed in order of 2016 World Championship points; drivers’ points as of 2016 Championship

Mercedes

Mercedes have grown and become a major power in Formula 1. With Grand Prix pedigree from the 1950s and experience making engines for 15 years before re-joining as a full manufacturer in 2010, they’re a team with plenty of history; from the arrival of Lewis Hamilton in 2013 and the new ruleset in 2014, they’ve become dominant. They’re expected to have one of the best cars and engine combinations in 2017, but the question isn’t how much they’ve developed, but if anyone else has caught them.

Lewis Hamilton (2nd, 380 points) - The three-time World Champion lost it at the last to former teammate Nico Rosberg in 2016. A divisive figure in this thread (to put it simply), he remains one of the fastest drivers on the grid. Snapchat and Instagram enthusiast; #blessed. Championship favorite.

Valtteri Bottas (8th, 85 points) - Joined Mercedes after the retirement of 2016 champ Rosberg. Four years of experience at Williams give him F1 experience, but he has zero pole positions or wins to his name. A cool and calm character, he’s expected to compete for wins -- but will he?

Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer

Formula 1’s kings of the extreme (including extremes of what the rules include), the Austrian energy drink giant has owned their own team since 2005 and have competed for wins and championships since 2009. After a rough 2015, the team were the only to take a race win from Mercedes in 2016. With two race-winning drivers and F1 design god Adrian Newey back using his pencil for good and not sailboats or Aston Martins, much is expected from RBR this year.

Daniel Ricciardo (3rd, 256 points) - The Colgate Bogan, Daniel “Danny Ricky Bobby” Ricciardo is fast, brave, and a serious title threat this year if the car’s good. His race wins in 2014 came through a combination of smarts and balls, and he’s proven to have solid qualifying and race pace.

Max Verstappen (204 points, 5th) - Started last season at RBR’s junior team, Toro Rosso, and swapped with Daniil Kvyat from the Spanish Grand Prix. First race in the RBR, and the frog-faced boy wonder wins the drat thing. Had massive speed and is the absolute last of the late brakers in F1, attempting moves few would consider. However, there’s pressure to perform and a new set of rules which may make life tough. Should compete for the title.

Ferrari

The old, scarlet lady of Formula 1. Has been around since the first Grand Prix and they never let you forget it. Have always been competitive, there or thereabouts, too. Last year was a disappointment after 2014 and ‘15, but the pace of Kimi Raikkonen and the swearing of Vettel were both impressive. Now, we know that testing times are as useful as a bacon briefcase, but Ferrari came out of the winter testing as The Team to Beat. Expected to improve on 2016 and with two former champions, they should put up a serious fight.

Sebastian Vettel (4th, 212 points) - the four-time champion (with Red Bull) was successful straight away with Ferrari in 2015, but last year he was known more for swearing on the radio than anything else he did on the track. Has those four titles but is he able to drag the team up and develop a car?

Kimi Raikkonen (6th, 186 points) - the famously icy Finn is the 2007 champion with Ferrari and somebody most fans thought was done as we started one year ago. But a strong season has provided hope that everyone’s favorite F1 meme might compete again. Could win races; could be in the title hunt…?

Force India-Mercedes

After starting as the Jordan F1 team in the early ‘90s, they wandered the desert before Indian playboy-slash-businessman-slash-fugitive Vijay Mallya bought the team 10 years ago. Partnership with Mercedes provides the best engine and other tricky toys; the design team have also found ways to succeed on a limited budget, too. They’ve ascended up the ladder, marking their highest finish since the team was painted bright yellow, but do they have the cash and drivers to keep fighting? (Probably not, but don’t be shocked if they steal a win).

Sergio Perez (7th, 101 points) - the F1 thread’s second favorite Mexican (we miss you Hefe) somehow scored two podiums and a 7th-placed finish in the championship. Now in his seventh season, he’s become a solid driver, and more is expected -- he could snag a podium or two, and might even get a win if the conditions fall right.

Esteban Ocon (23rd, 0 points) - the Mercedes junior driver spent half a season in the tail-end Manor (R.I.P. Manor) and managed to equal his then-teammate, Pascal Wehrlein, in equal cars. While Wehrlein was in the picture for the Mercedes seat after Rosberg’s retirement, Ocon has taken the FI spot and should have a solid first year with the team.

Williams-Mercedes

One of Formula 1’s historic teams, celebrating their 40th anniversary this year, the 9-time constructors’ champions are hoping to rebound for a disappointing 2016 and get back into title contention. A common sight up the grid in 2014, the team slid down the last two years. But was 2016’s woes just a sign that they were focused on the new-rules package this year? And what of their drivers…

Felipe Massa (11th, 53 points) - Oh, Felipe, baby. Expected to retire at the end of last year and hand the reins to Bottas, that plan came undone when Bottas was chosen to replace Rosberg at the factory Mercedes team. The old hand has been brought in for one last go-around. Is there any left in the tank?

Lance Stroll (Rookie - N/A) - Billionaire father bankrolling your racing career, including hiring one of the most famous Formula 1 teams to be a glorified test team ahead of your own F1 debut? Lance Stroll is living out the life you wish you could...which is why he’s instantly hated. Let’s see what he can do.

McLaren-Honda

Another year, another wonder if this is the season McLaren pull it back together. Second only to Ferrari in Formula 1 history, wins, and titles, McLaren have prided themselves on being the most professional and precise squad in recent years. However, this also has led to exactly zero constructors’ championships since 1998 and zero competitive drives since Lewis Hamilton left the team. And after the struggles of 2015, it looked like they had some speed by the end of 2016. But alas, it looks like all the uncertainty and misalignment between McLaren and engine partner Honda has continued, and the team finished testing well off the pace and surrounded by dark clouds of rumor.

Also they promised an orange car and somehow hosed that up, royally.

Fernando Alonso (10th, 54 points) - Oh, Fernando. Second only to “Bad Luck” Mark Webber in the bad luck and timing game, he very well should be a four-time world champion, but is instead a hostage of the McLaren-Honda golden prison. This could prove to be his last F1 season which is a shame because, in equal cars, he’s probably still top three on the grid for sheer talent.

Stoffel Vandoorne (20th, 1 point) - While the young Belgian scored one point on one race last year, this year is his true rookie season. After crushing GP2 in 2015, he was McLaren’s reserve driver last year, filling in for the dead injured Alonso in Bahrain. He spent the rest of his time sharpening open-wheel skills in Super Formula in Japan.

Toro Rosso-Renault

The continuation of once-proud backmarkers Minardi, the Toro Rosso team has become Red Bull’s kindergarten (Vettel, Ricciardo, and Verstappen are all alumni) as well as the host to some quite crafty engineers. At the least, the new paint scheme A. looks a lot better and B. differentiates them from the Red Bull squad visually. With proper Renault engines, could be a surprise this year.

Carlos Sainz Jr. (12th, 46 points) - There are a lot of exciting young drivers in Formula 1, but young Sainz is the one to watch for me. Son of former World Rally Champion Carlos Sainz, the youngster is starting his third year in Formula 1 and without a clear path to the Red Bull Racing squad, may very well become the most in-demand driver in the 2017 ‘silly season.’ Could be a surprise this year.

Daniil Kvyat (14th, 25 points) - As Verstappen had his unlikely rise last year, so Kvyat suffered the fall. A solid if uninspiring driver in 2015 with the RBR team led to a 2016 where some early-season mistakes led to his first podium -- at home in Russia -- and his last drive before switching with Verstappen. After that, he looked absolutely shaken, and spoke to the press about having no confidence left. Hopefully he gained some of that back over the winter.

Haas-Ferrari

Formula 1’s newest entrant, the American-owned team is run by Gene Haas, who also co-owns a major NASCAR entry with Tony Stewart. With headquarters in the U.S., a forward base in England, cars manufactured in Italy by Dallara and as many parts as are legal sourced from Ferrari’s catalogue, Haas F1 are setup to be solid and competitive quickly. They scored enough early to not be last, but it became apparent 2016 was a trial season. What does 2017 hold?

Romain Grosjean (13th, 29 points) - Big John, late of Lotus, has become a solid F1 veteran and a Worst Thread favorite. Three points-scoring places in the first four races set up his 2016, and with another year of development, he should be in the midfield again this year.

Kevin Magnussen (16th, 7 points) - Son of Corvette Racing stalwart Jan Magnussen, young Kevin has had an interesting F1 career thus far. A McLaren development driver and race driver in 2014, he then became a McLaren test driver in 2015 before jumping to the revitalized Renault team last year. After a tough year there, he’s joined with Haas. Is this his last F1 chance? He’s shown speed but has also been in poor cars throughout his career.

Renault

The Once and Future Renault has returned. The former Toleman, Benetton, Renault, Bad Lotus, and Just Lotus team has returned as Renault and look to become respectable in 2017. Between poor finances (the team almost went bankrupt in 2015) and development (their 2016 car was developed for roughly 5 British Pounds and designed for a Mercedes engine), last year was always going to be a wash. With a proper new car, engine development (also benefitting their customers, Red Bull and Toro Rosso) and two solid drivers, they should jump into the midfield fray.

Nico Hulkenberg (9th, 72 points) - The Hulk made the leap to a factory team for 2017, but for some patience it might have been the coveted Mercedes seat. He was beaten by Perez in last year’s championship for Force India, but is still a reliable, quick driver with more than 100 race starts for Williams and FI under his belt. If Renault find themselves over-achieving, it will be because The Hulk finally meets expectations.

Jolyon Palmer (18th, 1 point) - Son of former F1 driver and current British racing circuit magnate Jonathan Palmer, Palmer’s rookie year coincided with the smoking crater of Lotus racing as Renault, so it was always going to be difficult. That he managed to cut it close with Magnussen is a credit to him, and with a much-improved package he’s now got to prove himself in 2017.

Sauber-Ferrari

Sauber are a funny old team. Perennial midfield battlers, a former kindergarten of F1 talent (Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa, Robert Kubica, Sebastian Vettel, and Nico Hulkenburg all have driven for the team early in their careers), at one time a factory team when owned by BMW, now the Swiss team is holding on -- just. Born from the Sauber sports car team that won Le Mans in the 1980s, the team have more than 20 years of F1 experience, most of it as a satisfied midfield outfit, some of it as a legitimate contender (namely with BMW). In recent years their performance hasn’t matched past ambitions or ability, and hopefully -- after surviving 2016 -- they will live on.

Marcus Ericsson (22nd, 0 points) - Has driven for Sauber for a few years now, and has neither justified moving up or down the field. However, as he has ties to the new investment/ownership group leading Sauber, he’ll probably have a seat as long as he likes.

Pascal Wehrlein (19th, 1 point) - The young Mercedes driver surprisingly won the DTM series in 2015, leading to a full-time seat with Manor for 2016. While he showed some speed and consistency, he’s also garnered a reputation as something of a diva. Was a possibility for the Mercedes seat, and has instead wound up at Sauber, which is some kind of luck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Can probably replace the Force India picture with one in pink once we get a couple sessions deep in Australia this week, all the photos are from testing and that was before the sponsor change.

Might also make better graphics for the whole thing but that'd take some time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone can hate the new Force India. It's better than black and grey kingfisher.

The nose sucks.

It's also a title sponsor that doesn't have any connection to the ownership group, too, if memory serves. I know that BWT have been sponsoring teams in Germany (DTM and sports cars from this year) too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

Seb won four titles. He won two facing strong competition, two walking away from the field, and all were as number-one driver in an Adrian Newey car. I might've gone light on him, but if you're watching F1, you'll learn about him.

(Also the whole preview weighed in over 2,000 words so :v: )

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

How can the one english driver you like be mansell

just

like how do you even make that up

Dude is a massive Ferrari fan, it tracks.

And yeah I read Webber's book. It's a good read, and I'm hardly surprised he both enjoyed the chill-rear end WEC and has retired satisfied.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yes but the sheer volume of them that may be to come

New F1 rules introduced for this season mean new aerodynamic shitposts (with a more aggressive look), wider shitposts, no token system for how you can modify and update your shitposts, and expectations that shitposts will be faster than ever once the season starts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Aw man, F1 popup channel is now playing San Marino '94. :smith:

That loving race weekend :smith:

Also sports car racing is now sinking back into that time-honored tradition of booming and busting. It's not locked in yet but unless we get new P1 manufacturers and quick it could get ugly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

There are worse things that could happen than having LMP 1 fade and having smaller LMP2 and other categories become front runners.

It's too early to call this and not the right place to debate it but that wouldn't be great for many reasons.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Mexico GP looks like the most fun to attend from the TV perspective. Aside from being super loving rich and at Monaco I guess.

I kind of want to go to Singapore, but based on cost, it's even cheaper to get to Malaysia. Might try to do the double next year...

I also want to get to Suzuka but yeah, that's a given.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McGuinty posted:

I noticed a small error in your excellent overview. Emphasis mine:

Russia was his last race with RBR but the podium came the race before, in China. I guess Matt will have to fix it in the OP.

Good catch, cheers. Russia was of course when he shunted Vettel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Heh, looks like BWT came on so late they just could add the sponsor patch to the team uniforms. Just wait until they have the time to integrate it into the race suits and team gear...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

I'm at this race track and there's Formula One cars here send help

You're there real early for the night game mate, or are the lines that long at the MCG? :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is 100% the issue. Nearly everybody saying this type of racing is fine are all the posters who have actually sat through and seen what those old races were like. Everybody else thinks those races were Senna's opening lap in Donnington but for 72 straight laps and that has never happened and never will.

Yep. The cars looked cooler and all they watched (or remember) are the highlights. Too many people forget cars breaking for random reasons, the leader pulling away and either winning or exploding, and think every race was wheel-to-wheel for the entirety.

I do miss engine failures, because nothing says "on the edge" quite like a massive failure of the combustion engine. I'm wondering if single-weekend engines would be a good balance to the rules set. You get penalized for going boom, but it doesn't penalize you on the season level.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

fwiw the list I was using literally had guys like Eddie Irvine in it because they made a shitload of money investing in real estate post-F1, which, at that point, you kinda have to put the Pasta King in there.

My favorite Jaguar F1 fact is that for a while, Irvine's contract meant he was the highest paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nelson is the wall poster we need but Ron is the wall poster we deserve

Yeah, exactly this. That Piquet photo is ace but Ron is what is deserved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

djssniper posted:

Are there any F1 related ads in the US? I'd have thought indy car would be more relevant to that market

more relevant to this topic, Honda in F1 is run by/funded by Japan, whereas the IndyCar program is Honda of America/Canada. Hence why they would focus on Indy in American ads.

I'm sure the "everything's fine, we're going to go all-out" talk before testing was typical Japanese manner - brave public face while scurrying like hell to make sure it isn't blowing up behind the scenes. Transparency isn't exactly a strong suit, and harmony is appreciated above all. Which makes MCLRN's comments publicly all the tougher for the Honda brass, I'm sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Almost all American Hondas are made in the US though if memory serves.

American Honda is a division of the Japanese company, but in terms of motorsports, F1 is driven by Japan HQ (as are Super GT and Super Formula I'd imagine) and Indy is purely North American. Dudes in Tokyo have no say in the IndyCar program, which has been supported now for damned close to 20 years.

Beyond having a second team to make use of the engine for development reasons, I'm guessing that Honda will partner with a second team next year if only because they have junior drivers and nowhere to put them besides McLaren. Namely, they have Japanese junior drivers they'll be trying to get into F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The overreaction to Bianchi's death, where the issue was literally don't have a loving crane that a car can submerge under on the runoff to a corner, is so god drat stupid.

It was also dark as gently caress mate

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For once, F1 is worse than the Worst Thread.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Croissant posted:

Well if you euros would spend more money on sponsor bullshit they wouldn't need to go to Asia and America. Enjoy your lack of asthma and emphysema from not smoking those marlboros, you killed euro-centric F1.

As an american fan you lot are hard to feel bad for. Waking up at freakish hours to start the torrent watch the race live is part of the lifestyle :911:

central time zone user spotted. I never bothered watching live from the west coast outside specific events. watching the Euro-timed races in Japan is much nicer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Shanghai has three times the population of New York. That's.. hardcore and I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about.

...and it's not even the biggest city/area in China (that would be Guangzhou). China is unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty shocked they let Nando off for Monaco. Must mean Are Jense wants a work trip to Monaco.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm really glad I didn't see this thread during the peak Schumacher years, the Ferrari banana riding would've been insufferable.

...or seeing the backlash to first Red Bull and now Mercedes, maaaaaybe not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

I love Mercedes GP because it puts Toyota and Honda's F1 ventures into context.

They realized its smart to trust the Brits to run the team while the Germans pay for it. Toyota and Honda, Japanese management meddled around a wee bit too much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He's not wrong. It was one one of the things brought up when whatshisface does a few year back. IndyCars are not stock cars, they really can't handle the high bank turns all that well

Luckily for them, Indianapolis Motor Speedway isn't a high-banked oval by any description.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

aequalis posted:

Jesus Christ, hot girls with tshirt cannons?

:911:

Make Formula 1 Amazing

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

That's true, it's on at insanely bad times for America though. It was great to watch in college when being up at 4am was nbd.

The live streaming package is awesome and fairly cheap (like $80 USD for the season, I get mine as part of a club membership). It's a Good sport.

I guess if there's any race I should miss due to business travel it's the annual snoozer in Barcelona.

Also I would be more than happy to see the Fast Heikkis return.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

Yokohama Sakuragicho is the best racing track in video game history, I will fight anyone on this. It's seems so simple but it's so difficult to get every corner right.

I somehow completely forgot PGR2 included Yokohama downtown, just checked a YouTube clip and immediately recall the track. Really funny because I live not too far from that district now. Surreal.

PGR2 online was The Best. Miss that game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah, no rubber for that extra grip

wasn't it raining earlier in the day too? So no time to try and bump into the Fast 9, everyone got a run, and the early guys had the job of rubbering in the track.

Everybody gets another shot tomorrow though - 10-33 for their final spots, and the Fast 9 going for the pole.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Oooh avoid all spoilers and watch the French MotoGP

At least the last 6 laps or so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] ^^^^ Nope - Dixon, Carpenter, Rossi

Track just kept getting faster.

Sato in classic Sato-san fashion...:xd: :japan:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

MotoGP put up a tribute to Nicky. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPF9vQKQ9F4

:smith: absolute shame, of course it seemed like it could happen after the reports came in, but still...just 35 and still racing WSBK. far too young, and to one of the nicer guys. Now we won't have another American champion around either.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

With motorcycles, it was because of the formula moving away from ridiculously overpowered 500cc two-strokes that only American and Australian dirt-trackers could ride, to the easier big-bang-equipped 500ccs, and then the traction control-equipped 4-strokes that suited the European riders much better.

And any comparable ladder for Americans completely dissolved at the time. AMA went from being a bit of a thing to absolutely nothing.

There also aren't many Americans encamping full time as 14- and 15-year-olds in the junior formulae anywhere, not on two wheels or four. That's what Rossi and Daly both tried, and it turned out they needed a little more talent and a lot more money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

He's not bad but he's not nearly as good as he should be for the hype he gets, imo.

He had at least three races last year where he got hosed over by Iannone running into him, he's a good rider and competitive but has Mark Webber levels of luck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

They used to have emergency vehicles on the course when the track was hot and would leave broken down cars slightly off line until the race ended.

Hell, Super GT still does this sometimes!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

More importantly, who the gently caress has no milk preference? "Just throw whatever in there, I don't care."

Emmo :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh poo poo that's right Monaco has Thursday practice.

• Locked thread