Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

It wouldn't be difficult to create a tranche system that lets Ferrari (and others) keep their current funding up to a set dollar figure, and then balances the percentages more in favour of smaller teams. Ferrari wouldn't see their revenue decrease, but if Liberty was able to grow F1 revenue, then Ferrari would start seeing lower and lower percentages above specified dollar tiers. It lets them be special and creates room for smaller teams to get better as F1 grows.

It's a widely used financial instrument, so I can't see it causing any legal issues with all the different countries F1 deals with either.

Give this man a Prost avatar because this is a professor like post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Why do the races on the Fox F1 channel all sound like the commentary was recorded over a TV replay of the race? Its really annoying. Wheres Murray too?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Watching the old F1 races on Foxtel again and they announced that Adelaide '95 had 200K attending on race day, and 511K over the course of the 4 day event. It was the record then, and I think that still stands.

Its kind of surreal to see all the grandstands full and even the open areas look like standing room only. Pretty significant contrast to many of the modern races.

Hopefully Liberty are on to it. The prices are insane, especially for decent seats. F1 will never get enough 'casual' fans to attend beyond the first/second time a race is run in a new location. Of course the race promoters are forced to charge such high prices because of the hosting fees. 'Walk about' tickets (ie No grandstand seating) for Singapore cost $300 each for me and my missus in 2013. Melbourne in 09 and 11 I can't remember the exact price for the T1 outer grandstand but it was a shitload too. Malaysia is the only race I've attended approaching decent value. Seats right opposite the Ferrari pit wall for about what I paid for the Singapore ones. Bonus points for it being the 2012 race because Alonso smashed everyone. Even grabbing seats facing the back straight which are cheap as chips comparatively provide a good view of a lot of the circuit. Sadly that was 2014 and it was a bad race.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
This must be only the 3rd time in the last 60 races that Mercedes were straight beaten without mechanical failure or crash/racing incident. The others being; Malaysia 2015, but the caveat there was that Merc were cooking the tyres in the heat, and Singapore 2015 were Seb was brilliant and Mercedes a bit poo poo.

Thats worth getting excited about!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Bottas reminds me of Kovalinen. A useless fin for Hammy to thrash.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I enjoy Formula 1 motor racing, however I wish every driver could finish first. They are all great young men who deserve it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Worst thread I like all the love I am seeing for Perez. He's got real talent and is underrated. He's got the wild crashing into other cars under control now and has raced clean for the past couple of seasons (Stroll's more to blame for the recent incident). Perez now has 12 consecutive points finishes which is a good effort in a mid grid car.

I think the problem Merc have with choosing Bottas is that this years Formula is actually going to seperate the good from the poo poo. It was easier for Rosberg to be closer to Hamilton when they both had to drive at 85% to protect the tyres. Same sort of thing made JB look pretty good relative to Alonso and Kimi to Seb. Now its back to full attack we are going to see the gaps between the real talent and the not so great get bigger.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Haha Bernie is such a oval office.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

keevo posted:

You guys see what Ted was saying about Alonso's "engine problem"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPqGtmLtCU&t=330s

He says that maybe Alonso had an engine problem, but also that Alonso told Spanish media that he'll do everything to get to points, but retire on the last lap if he's not in the points.

Yes Ted is annoying, but I also thought Alonso's retirement was very fishy. He even waited right until Hamilton was lapping him to have his 'failure' for maximum TV exposure.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
F1 Strategy Group to look at breaking some rules to help Honda hahahaha

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Re - Grand Tour chat. I think the guys had the totally wrong idea for what people wanted 'more of' in Top Gear. It wasn't pretty camera work, massive explosions, ridiculous stunts and studio segments. People want more Hammond, May and Clarkson bickering off the cuff about some trivial poo poo, more of those rare unscripted little jokes after a long day filming together, more of an impression that its these three guys getting their hands dirty with the challenges/car repairs etc, more 'real' adventures.

First step would be to reduce the massive crew. I think they had 40 guys with them for the Argentina special! God knows how many for the Namibia one on TGT.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 27, 2017

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't sully the acting career of Mr Tom Cruise thanks very much. He is good actor also a cool dude.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I think Massa is getting to much credit and the Williams is actually a decent car. Stroll is just so bad its making Massa look good. Felipe was terrible last year especially through the back half of the season.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
That must have been amongst the worst races of Lewis career. Top 10 surely. He got smashed by Bottas for fucks sake.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Im getting sick of hearing Brundle and Croft try to make excuses for Palmer. Pretty sure Brundle is a family friend or something.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
What ever happened to Antonio Felix Da Costa. I know he races in Formula E now (along with every other Redbull cast off) but there was a lot of hype behind him. RB have dropped so many drivers that were actually pretty good and more deserving of drives then 1/3rd of the grid, especially JEV and Buemi!

I wonder if the same thing will happen to Gasly as happened to Da Costa.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
At his peak Trulli was much more then a mediocre driver and was actually pretty drat quick thanks for playing.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I cringe hearing yank commentary.

'And here comes Michael SchumARRKER in the number 1 car'.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
A friendly reminder about how young our Max is. He is in his 3rd season, 46th race start. By the time he reaches the same age that Hamilton was when he first raced for Mclaren, Max will have (assuming 20 race calendar) 100 grand prix to his name.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Kimi is such a little bitch. He should be thankful Ferrari hold onto their bad drivers a few years past use-by (Raikkonen, Massa, Barrichello). If he didn't want to get beaten on strategy it might have been a good idea to drive the car fast.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I especially liked how quickly Seb pulled away from Kimi once he was unleashed.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Indy chat -
God this pomp and ceremony and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS American bullshit is really annoying isnt it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
gently caress I am used to like right on the hour, thats when the formation lap starts, race starts at like 2 minutes past the hour what is this crap.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
HEY MAN YOU CAN ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE OF OUR TROOPS PROTECIN YOUR FREEDUMS.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Negan in the pace car lol

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The number of adbreaks is loving insane.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is legitimately the only reason I don't watch American Football.

Yeh I like to watch NBA, so I knew US sports were bad for breaks.....but this is...wow.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

Lmao it's red flagged

Yeh but when it was a live track they were on the second ad break by lap 20!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The 500 was not worth staying up for. It really feels like it just boils down to 'have decent-ish pace, get lucky with the caution/fuel stop timing.' All the passing and positioning are so inconsequential until the last 20-30 laps.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Norns posted:

Go watch drag racing you dumbasses

Only if they throw down atleast a dozen caution flags and turn the finish into a quarter yard rather then quarter mile.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
In other bad news from the weekend - Checo's streak of 15 consecutive points finishes has come to an end :( That really is a pretty impressive feat for a mid grid car.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

harperdc posted:

":downs: Why do they run 500 miles?"

":argh: WHY DID THE ENGINES BLOW UP!!!"

It's an endurance race for the formulae. 500 miles averaging over 200 mph each lap at racing speeds is a challenge for the cars. Even making all the required pit stops is a hurdle to be cleared. Even though endurance races of all stripes are becoming more like long sprints, it's still a challenge to be accomplished.

And yes WELL DONE TAKU

Honestly, your yank racing series loving blows and you should all be ashamed of it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh 50% commercials, 30% running under caution and 15% green flag running which counts for gently caress all is so much better. At least there is that 5% exciting finish where you can watch the cast off's from better racing series duke it out.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Hey atleast I learned how important it is to support our troops hoorah semper fi!!!!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
He was pretty good against Perez, and Perez (especially in recent years) is v good. Therefore I think the Hulk is pretty good too. If you don't consider him atleast a decent talent then thats not saying much for the rest of the grid.

I mean he is clearly better then Stroll, Ericsson, and Palmer.

Very likely better then Magnussen, Kvyat, current - Massa, Vandoorne (although he could be improving)

Arguably better then Ocon (could improve), Grosjean (who I find massively overrated), Wehrlein, current - Raikkonen.

Probably around equal to Bottas and Perez.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
We get a gut full of British bs at every race weekend, do we need it here too?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Not entirely sure what a gang tag is all about, but can I have one anyway?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't worry Im here to fix the Aussie rep ruined by Tony and Ramblingcurve.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

HJB posted:

Re Hamilton v Vettel: Reminder that in 2006 the battle of their number twos happened, and Webber beat Rosberg. That's the Mark Webber who couldn't beat Vettel, and the Reigning World Champion Nico Rosberg.

Glad you said it HJB, because its crazy to say that Kovalinen, Rosberg or Bottas were any better then Webber.

If you ask me the fact is Seb was just crazy good, especially in 2013. He didn't transition as well into the 'drive slow and preserve tyres better' era of 2014-16, but when the formula returns to harder tyres, faster cornering speeds and more of a sprint, suddenly he looks pretty great again (and ofcourse he has a better car this year). I don't think 14 - 16 were especially good years for Hamilton either to be honest, Alonso a bit harder to judge from the crap machinery. But it definitely felt like the top guys couldn't exploit their talent when every lap was at 80% instead of 95%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ehm. So far Bottas has been pretty bad, not even on Rosberg's level. As for Rosberg I know he's been built up as half of a 'Senna/Prost' battle, that's mostly a creation of the British media to explain how he was able to occasionally beat the godlike Lewis. I think its more likely a combination of the hybrid era rules, and Lewis taking his eye off the ball and/or not being as brilliant as advertised.

• Locked thread