Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Who's a good read? I'm a bit distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

CCKeane posted:

Who's a good read? I'm a bit distracted.

mmt a good vote imo. Added benefit of being topical.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Your Personal Muse posted:

Your case on me is that my case on MMT is reaching. Sure, that's a reason not to agree with my case. But if I'm scum for building a case partly on WIFOM (which I will admit), how is MMT not scum for doing that same on her very first post.

Because MMT makes it clear her early day 1 suspicion is just that: an early suspicion that she's exploring. A post "pinged" her and was "good enough" for a vote. That's a fairly normal starting case.

Whereas your case almost by necessity needs to pretend Murmur Twin was making some hard committed read in order to make any amount of sense.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

The Ninth Layer posted:

Because MMT makes it clear her early day 1 suspicion is just that: an early suspicion that she's exploring. A post "pinged" her and was "good enough" for a vote. That's a fairly normal starting case.

Whereas your case almost by necessity needs to pretend Murmur Twin was making some hard committed read in order to make any amount of sense.

Or my case is based on the premise that MMT did not actually believe what she wrote. The fact that she cast doubt on her own case just shows that she wasn't even trying to put any pressure on Stickup.

And I know my case is a day 1 case. But there's no point in going "well gee I'm probably wrong here, but I think MMT is a scumbo" so you convince no one and put no pressure on anything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
KEane you got time and there isn't much to read just catch up later :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
All of this hard casing feels so goddamn fake.

Nobody can possibly believe all of this as seriously as they're pretending to.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Why

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Like do you actually think MMT believed what she wrote? There is no way you can. There are two options. One shes town manufacturing content to see how Stickup reacts. But she, as you said, made the case soft with no punch, and her only follow up was convincing people she believed her case.

So the only remaining option is she is scum

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

gently caress off with this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

You made a statement and I want to know why. Why is it unbelievable people are legitimately casing each other? Which of the people casing looks worse than the rest?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina posted:

I think you're underestimating how stupid and obstinate we all are

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Your premise is that MMT "forced" a vote. I know this because you took the time to emphasize the word "forced." But then you argue MMT didn't push this forced vote enough. Please understand these two notions contradict each other.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Like do you actually think MMT believed what she wrote? There is no way you can. There are two options. One shes town manufacturing content to see how Stickup reacts. But she, as you said, made the case soft with no punch, and her only follow up was convincing people she believed her case.

I believe MMT's gut was pinged and she dropped an early, low-investment vote on someone. I think this is obvious if you look at the vote post where she uses the word "ping" and says it's good enough for an early vote. That doesn't take much belief dude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

Try engaging people in conversation, you may discover there are things you like or dislike about the things they are saying.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm back!

This is really irking me. Before hand, I was ready to write it off as just a player jumping the gun or making a joke that didn't land. But my main issue it this feels forced. Good enough to vote on Day 1? Stickup didn't even vote. Did MMT actually believe that Stickup would use his "number of words contained within a scum PM" to nail Asiina?
##vote MMT

Unless there's an actual chance of a majority of players reading the case and saying "yup wow vote stickup", it doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong. What matters is how people react, which is why I was fine dropping a vote on stickup with a flimsy reason.

I feel like YPM is approaching me from the point of view of scum trying to fake a case on me. The points he makes against me seem focused on me having an alterior motive (of trying to drive the vote onto stickup or Asii), and are basically "she's wrong" instead of "she's scummy".

It doesn't make sense and seems like the wrong kind of manufactured content day 1.

Right back at you!

##unvote
##vote YPM

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm back!

Unless there's an actual chance of a majority of players reading the case and saying "yup wow vote stickup", it doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong. What matters is how people react, which is why I was fine dropping a vote on stickup with a flimsy reason.

I feel like YPM is approaching me from the point of view of scum trying to fake a case on me. The points he makes against me seem focused on me having an alterior motive (of trying to drive the vote onto stickup or Asii), and are basically "she's wrong" instead of "she's scummy".

Right back at you!

##unvote
##vote YPM

hey I voted you first. YPM getting all the attention here.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

The Ninth Layer posted:

Your premise is that MMT "forced" a vote. I know this because you took the time to emphasize the word "forced." But then you argue MMT didn't push this forced vote enough. Please understand these two notions contradict each other.

My premise is that she saw something that she could construe as scummy, but also knew that Stickup wasn't scum because of it. Thus the vote felt forced. Not that she tried to force us to vote. They are actually completely different notions.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

dogmother1776 posted:

I'm prettier

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

The Ninth Layer posted:

I believe MMT's gut was pinged and she dropped an early, low-investment vote on someone. I think this is obvious if you look at the vote post where she uses the word "ping" and says it's good enough for an early vote. That doesn't take much belief dude.

Great. You disagree with me like we are different people who see things differently. How does that make me scum? You've spent this time attacking my case instead of explaining why I'm scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm having trouble parsing why you think I'm scum. How do you think my posting would look different this game if I were town?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Kashuno posted:

KEane you got time and there isn't much to read just catch up later :)

Regina Spektor ain't never wrote a song about me, give me your picks.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

Try engaging people in conversation, you may discover there are things you like or dislike about the things they are saying.

I dislike what everyone is saying.

I dislike YPM's dumb case for taking MMT's throwaway vote as being a rock solid case.

I dislike everyone who is jumping on him for committing to his case while they are also themselves committing to their cases.

It's all dumb as hell because guaranteed none of you know what the gently caress you're talking about and it's all pretend make believe that you do and it's transparent as hell.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

dogmother1776 posted:

I think YPM is approaching this game from a scum mindset, which is the reason I cased him.

You're someone I've never seen before (if you're new, welcome!) so right now I'd say I don't have a real opinion of you just yet. If we both survive for a while this will change :j:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm having trouble parsing why you think I'm scum. How do you think my posting would look different this game if I were town?

1) you wouldn't have made the original post because it was literally your first post. I guess I am going off the assumption that scum find it difficult to naturally enter into a thread (I know I do when I'm scum) and being able to case someone is an easy way into the thread. It is also an indication that someone is overcompensating.

2) if you had made that post, you would've pushed stickup more. Literally the only reason people make day 1 cases that early (or really at any time) is to get reactions and figure out who's scum. But that didn't really happen.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Asiina posted:

I dislike YPM's dumb case for taking MMT's throwaway vote as being a rock solid case.

I dislike everyone who is jumping on him for committing to his case while they are also themselves committing to their cases.

It's all dumb as hell because guaranteed none of you know what the gently caress you're talking about and it's all pretend make believe that you do and it's transparent as hell.

Again what is the point of making a case only to go "I'm super wrong guys so don't be made at me" while you are making it

Also you just described mafia congrats now play

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great. You disagree with me like we are different people who see things differently. How does that make me scum? You've spent this time attacking my case instead of explaining why I'm scum.

Because I don't see how you read Murmur Twin's very obviously early low-investment vote as some big fake forced effort, and I also don't see how you could read Murmur Twin's vote and assume that a townie would feel comfortable fully committing to the stated case of "seems like stickup's PM was shorter than the town average."

It's an interpretation that diverges so far from my own that I'm still trying to figure out how you got there. And instead of considering the alternative hypothesis, that Murmur Twin simply dropped a low-investment vote based on a minor gut ping, you seem to be plugging your ears to that possibility. I understand you don't want to undercut your own case, but I think it's disturbing how committed you are to what I think was a reaching interpretation from the start.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There are ways to play that don't involve going "I am 100% sure on a thing that there is no way I could possibly be 100% sure on" which then, surprising literally nobody, sounds fake as hell.

It's okay to be uncertain. It's not a character flaw.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You are being really aggressive asiina

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

If I'm scum though I will be extremely angry.

Asiina posted:

This is stupid.

---

---

---

I think I would also vote for Asiina. :ohdear:

Asii - do you have a better case right now than the one on YPM?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

You are being really aggressive asiina

I'm in a very bad mood.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

I think YPM is approaching this game from a scum mindset, which is the reason I cased him.

You're someone I've never seen before (if you're new, welcome!) so right now I'd say I don't have a real opinion of you just yet. If we both survive for a while this will change :j:

He voted you for pretty much the same reasons as me he just flailed more or w/e he's doing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

I think I would also vote for Asiina. :ohdear:

Asii - do you have a better case right now than the one on YPM?

Do it then.

Put up or shut up.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

The Ninth Layer posted:

Because I don't see how you read Murmur Twin's very obviously early low-investment vote as some big fake forced effort, and I also don't see how you could read Murmur Twin's vote and assume that a townie would feel comfortable fully committing to the stated case of "seems like stickup's PM was shorter than the town average."

It's an interpretation that diverges so far from my own that I'm still trying to figure out how you got there. And instead of considering the alternative hypothesis, that Murmur Twin simply dropped a low-investment vote based on a minor gut ping, you seem to be plugging your ears to that possibility. I understand you don't want to undercut your own case, but I think it's disturbing how committed you are to what I think was a reaching interpretation from the start.

OK. I will state again. This is a day 1 case where I haven't even bothered unvoting CC.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

dogmother1776 posted:

He voted you for pretty much the same reasons as me he just flailed more or w/e he's doing.

It's possible that he is scum making a fake case and you are town that happens to believe said case.

I believe the former to be true; the jury is still out on the latter.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

OK. I will state again. This is a day 1 case where I haven't even bothered unvoting CC.

Okay. Feel free to address anything I typed out in the two paragraph post you're quoting.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

I'm in a very bad mood.

I genuinely hope things improve!

Asiina posted:

Do it then.

Put up or shut up.

##unvote
##vote Asiina

I would vote for either YPM or Asiina right now.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

It's possible that he is scum making a fake case and you are town that happens to believe said case.

I believe the former to be true; the jury is still out on the latter.

how did you differentiate between our motives as scum and maybe town?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

The Ninth Layer posted:

Okay. Feel free to address anything I typed out in the two paragraph post you're quoting.

I don't know what else to tell you dude. There isn't much more point to going back and forth. Like you call me scum for defending my case and then egg me on to do it more.

Her qualifying her belief in her case had no bearing on my assessment of it

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So you're voting for me because I'm angry.

Cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't know what else to tell you dude. There isn't much more point to going back and forth. Like you call me scum for defending my case and then egg me on to do it more.

Her qualifying her belief in her case had no bearing on my assessment of it

Okay. Then I'll leave it at: I am not 100% convinced you are scum either, and what I was hoping to find in your defense was any sign that you were aware the "forced" vote you were looking at could simply be an early vote that MMT, as either alignment, took about ten seconds to conceive of and post. I haven't seen any sign of that, and you seem to be actively avoiding any attempt to entertain that notion. This makes me think you are pushing a case in bad faith, not to actually catch a scum player but simply look like you have a reasoned suspicion.

• Locked thread