Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

precision posted:

The addition of a "Skip Track" button was invaluable to the evolution of the album as form.

Here's a fun one: try to count how many CDs from the 90s/early 00s have an absolutely killer track 7.

I just made an iTunes smart playlist, Year is in the range of 1990 to 1999, and track is track 7.

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head - So What'cha Want.
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty - Intergalactic
Bush - Razorblade Suitcase - Mouth
Bush - Sixteen Stone - Machinehead
Cake - Fashion Nugget - I Will Survive
Cake - Prolonging The Magic - Sheep Go To Heaven (Not my favorite, but it was a single)
Daft Punk - Homework - Around The World
Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape - My Hero
Live - Throwing Copper - All Over You (Also a single that isn't my favorite)
Orgy - Candyass - Blue Monday
Pearl Jam - Yield - Do The Evolution
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire - Down Rodeo
Rage Against The Machine - S/T - Wake Up
Soundgarden - Down On The Upside - Burden In My Hand
Soundgarden - Superunknown - Black Hole Sun
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot - Hell
Stone Temple Piolots - Core - Creep
Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music - Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart

This was out of 181 tracks. (I'm not really sure the point you were trying to make with that though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

Would you like to challenge?

For a while it was common practice to put a killer track at 7 to stop people from skipping through the whole album, that's the entirety of the point

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Counting Crows - Rain King, Have You Seen Me Lately?, Cover Up The Sun
Green Day - Basket Case, Give Me Novacaine
The Mountain Goats - Pink and Blue, No Children, Up the Wolves
Ninja Sex Party - No Reason Boner, The Sacred Chalice Pt. 1, Party of Three
Pink Floyd (CD era) - Take it Back
They Might Be Giants - Particle Man, With the Dark, Tesla
Weird Al (CD era) - Gump, Party in the CIA

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

precision posted:

For a while it was common practice to put a killer track at 7 to stop people from skipping through the whole album, that's the entirety of the point

you'd think a better strategy would have been to make the whole album good

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

A human heart posted:

I would argue that Billy Joel mastered this. I still like his later stuff, though (River of Dreams, Storm Front, etc.), so I may be a bit biased.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mastered what?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Making the whole album good

precision
May 7, 2006

Would you like to challenge?

A human heart posted:

I think that, as a rule, people who were skipping tracks in the first place weren't really listening for "the album experience". We're talking people who bought the CD for the singles, here, not Robert Christgau.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

precision posted:

I think that, as a rule, people who were skipping tracks in the first place weren't really listening for "the album experience". We're talking people who bought the CD for the singles, here, not Robert Christgau.

I think its possible to listen to a whole album without being robert christgau, but that might just be my opinion

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

precision posted:

To be honest, I do both depending on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I don't care about listening to the deep cuts.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Three-Phase posted:

I mean sure digital files are much higher quality but the leap from tapes and vinyl (on a basic home system) to a good CD player was amazing. Sort of like going from a Nintendo to a SNES.

Digital files are either lower or equal quality to CDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some people are putting out higher than cd quality digital files now. Personally I think they're a waste of time, I can't tell If they sound any different.

«3 »