Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

"I saw Dallas Keuchel....THERE'S A BEARD!!!!!"

Gun Saliva

If there is another way to store CDs thatís not just on a shelf, Iíd like to know. You know that picture in the OP? Itís gotten to the point where I have to stack them in nooks and crannies. Where am I going to put New Orderís Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

COMMENCE A GRAND FIESTA FOR SADISTS AND PERVERTS

Pork Pro

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

You can get a CaseLogic CD binder that will hold 300-500 cds and their jewel case art which will cut down on the space for sure. Just keep in mind if you ever want to sell CDs that without the jewel case/art the street value of a disc drops to zero.

If you have no art for a lot of them already you can just throw a bunch on a CD spindle and put that up on a shelf.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I just picked up for ~$6 apiece:
Insomniac - Green Day
Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest
Painkiller - Judas Priest
The Yes Album - Yes

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That seems expensive

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

There's nowhere near me that has a great selection of CDs, so I have to take what I can get.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

Here is an old picture of my CD collection before I boxed it. I probably had 100 more albums than this picture shows by the time I took them down.

I use these sleeves and put them in these boxes.

I only get rid of the jewel cases. If they're digipacks or have a nice sleeve with artwork different from the booklet, then I put them in the box. 2+ CD releases go with the album cover/booklet with one disk, and the back page with the second CD. According to iTunes, there are 168 albums in that box pictured above.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

Fancy.

Beelerzebub posted:

Listened to it again recently, and yeah. It's not great. Not dogshit, but definitely nowhere near as good as the first. It does have Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through, though, which is a really great song. The rest ranges from alright to dogshit.

That one's good because I'm pretty sure it's the only one that isn't him bellowing the song's title for eight minutes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

I have all my original copy CDs in a file cabinet with the file type CD holders. I chucked all the jewel cases a long time ago because I was moving a lot and had them in folders, just recently upgraded to the file cabinet things and it works great.

[e] these: https://www.amazon.com/Find-Hanging...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at May 10, 2018 around 01:01

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

All good suggestions, thanks! I have basically all the artwork and booklets, so I'm not sure if I want to really pare that down or not. As I'm ripping I'm keeping an eye out for any unique or rare stuff. Probably nothing, but who knows. Maybe the 2-disc edition of NIN's Broken? I dunno.

I'll take my pristine Wax Trax Black Box to the grave though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I got

Dr. Octagon: Dr.Octagonecologyst
X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
UGK: Ridin' Dirty
J-Dilla: Ruff Draft
The the: Soul Mining
Bomb the Music Industry!: Vacation
The Roots: Everything Falls Apart
D' Angelo: Voodoo
Belle & Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister....
Laura Mvula: The Dreaming Room

I, uh, have a problem.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 04:25

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011

Still buy cd's. Why? Because I don't have the room or ready cash for vinyl and I like hardcopy. Since I have 20 yr old discs that still play beautifully I don't feel like I'm missing out.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

IUG posted:

Here is an old picture of my CD collection before I boxed it. I probably had 100 more albums than this picture shows by the time I took them down.

I use these sleeves and put them in these boxes.

I only get rid of the jewel cases. If they're digipacks or have a nice sleeve with artwork different from the booklet, then I put them in the box. 2+ CD releases go with the album cover/booklet with one disk, and the back page with the second CD. According to iTunes, there are 168 albums in that box pictured above.

Was going to go with a few big plastic bins, but after filling one up about 75% and realizing I have a whoooooole lot more to do, I'm switching over to sleeves and boxes. Way more compact, which is what I'm looking for.

Plus, as I randomly research how much CDs are worth... they aren't worth poo poo. Bye, jewel cases (i'm keeping the super cool ones though)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

COMMENCE A GRAND FIESTA FOR SADISTS AND PERVERTS

Pork Pro

Was going to go with a few big plastic bins, but after filling one up about 75% and realizing I have a whoooooole lot more to do, I'm switching over to sleeves and boxes. Way more compact, which is what I'm looking for.

Plus, as I randomly research how much CDs are worth... they aren't worth poo poo. Bye, jewel cases (i'm keeping the super cool ones though)!

Depends on the CDs. Same with vinyl.

«5 »