Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I, too, have a large collection.

This is right after I built it. It is probably holding twice as many albums now. I don't know how many I have now (I'm at work), but I have an iTunes playlist of all my CDs that I physically own. I think it's over 300-400. I made my own shelving for the CDs when I first moved into my house years ago, 96 inch long planks with simple brackets holding it up. Although I just started to remove the paper and disks from the jewel cases and putting them into CD sleeves, and I'm finally going to stop collecting CDs I think. If there is an option to get it in FLAC, then there's really no reason to get the disks (especially since I just listen to the whole collection as MP3s anyways).

So far I've only done the As before I ran out of sleeves...

Edit: 487 albums now. Next one will likely be Gorillaz, which just put out a release date today.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just now, as of posting this, I just finished ripping a CD to my collection to listen to today on my phone. I even bought the CD (Depeche Mode's "Spirit") from Amazon, and got the mp3s automatically, but I had to wait until I ripped the CD. It doesn't even make sense but this is what I do apparently.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I used to buy a bulk of CDs from goHastings when they had sales, and get like 30 CDs shipped from around the South. Pissing off the postal worker with many packages containing $2 CDs. However, they closed a while ago, and now I don't know a good online site where I can get a lot of used CDs. What do people do that is around that price range for music? If I do Amazon or eBay, you're not likely to find a good selection of music from any one seller, I imagine (and thus, pay more for shipping).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

precision posted:

The addition of a "Skip Track" button was invaluable to the evolution of the album as form.

Here's a fun one: try to count how many CDs from the 90s/early 00s have an absolutely killer track 7.

I just made an iTunes smart playlist, Year is in the range of 1990 to 1999, and track is track 7.

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head - So What'cha Want.
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty - Intergalactic
Bush - Razorblade Suitcase - Mouth
Bush - Sixteen Stone - Machinehead
Cake - Fashion Nugget - I Will Survive
Cake - Prolonging The Magic - Sheep Go To Heaven (Not my favorite, but it was a single)
Daft Punk - Homework - Around The World
Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape - My Hero
Live - Throwing Copper - All Over You (Also a single that isn't my favorite)
Orgy - Candyass - Blue Monday
Pearl Jam - Yield - Do The Evolution
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire - Down Rodeo
Rage Against The Machine - S/T - Wake Up
Soundgarden - Down On The Upside - Burden In My Hand
Soundgarden - Superunknown - Black Hole Sun
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot - Hell
Stone Temple Piolots - Core - Creep
Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music - Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart

This was out of 181 tracks. (I'm not really sure the point you were trying to make with that though.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Iron Maiden is one I'd almost not buy on CD. If the Onkyo remastered FLACs ever went on sale, I'd buy the first 7 albums. But I'm not at $16 each album.
https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/artists/1252/releases

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife's mother got me Jimi Hendrix's First Rays of a New Sun on CD.

My wife got me a record player and the Westworld soundtrack on vinyl. So now I guess I've started that collection too. :homebrew:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The FYE closed in my mall, BestBuy is doing this, and Target has always been garbage. I hope that places start selling 24bit FLAC files, because if I'm buying a digital file, I want it to be at least as good as CD quality.

EDIT: I've been toying with the idea of going to pawn shops to see if I can get used CDs on the cheap. I miss when GoHastings would put their used CDs on sale, and I would buy 30 CDs for like $100.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 8, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, but why limit music releases to that standard if you’re not releasing it on a disk? So far, I think I’ve only gotten NiN that was released in that format though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

realbez posted:

Yeah but if you're going to rip all your cds, why do it in mp3 when you can do it with a lossless format these days? it's not like storage space is a problem anymore

My iPhone only has 128 gigs, and I'm starting to reach the end of my phone's capacity in music alone. At work I'll listen to over 100 songs a day. Once I go over my phone's capacity, every morning I'll have to sync 100+ new tracks. It would be much worse if they were FLAC files. But if I'm going to buy an album from an online store, I want at least CD quality to start with to down sample from.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife informed me that my order of 33 CDs from SecondSpin came in today. (Also that one of our cats knocked over a champaign glass and broke it.) . I'll have to check the quality of the disks when I get home.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here is an old picture of my CD collection before I boxed it. I probably had 100 more albums than this picture shows by the time I took them down.

I use these sleeves and put them in these boxes.

I only get rid of the jewel cases. If they're digipacks or have a nice sleeve with artwork different from the booklet, then I put them in the box. 2+ CD releases go with the album cover/booklet with one disk, and the back page with the second CD. According to iTunes, there are 168 albums in that box pictured above.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Leck posted:

For getting rid of a significant quantity of CDs, is there any reasonable alternative to a site like Decluttr or SecondSpin? I'm making a move that requires fairly significant downsizing, and I'd rather my CDs not just go in the trash, even if I don't get much/any money for them. Some of them look like they're even worth a bit of money according to discogs, but I'm not sure that selling them one at a time is going to be quick enough / worth the effort.

You could always give them to Goodwill, and let the charity make the profit (or not, since they'll just go in the same bin with the rest of the music). Let someone who know what they're worth get a "steal".

Alternatively, post a picture in the Buy Sell Trade forum, and let us descend like vultures.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I feel the same way. I need to get rid of my CDs because I still have a ton at my parent's house, and there's some cluttering my current residence. I don't want to make money off of them, but for some reason, because my brain is broken, I want them to go to a "good home".

IUG posted:

Alternatively, post a picture in the Buy Sell Trade forum, and let us descend like vultures.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

I've found the same thing too, which has resulted in me (who previously never bought CDs, prior to graduating and getting full-time employment) to buying CDs all the time, in the last ~7 years. So at this stage I'm 27 and I've got two huge CD books in my car - which by this point is no doubt way more than all my other (non-old) friends combined. :v: (As for storage, I've got some in a rack, but most of my cases are stored in a cardboard box in my spare room)

Now that you all have got me thinking about it, I should probably rip all my CDs and try entering the 21st century by using a (non-iPod) media player, but I don't recall what all the good+free CD ripping apps are; I've used them in the past, but not in over a decade, I'd say. (And well, 99% of the music I listen to is in the car, so not needing to change CDs would be good)

For Windows the one that I use is Exact Audio Copy. http://exactaudiocopy.de
It's the one that the torrent sites use to get exact copies of FLAC, but it also does just MP3 in good quality as well. (I think it requires you to download a plugin for that due to copyright reasons, but it is easily done). Good guides on setting it up if you want the perfect rips are online.

For Mac I just use iTunes of course, but there's also XLD. https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/
It's basically the Mac version of the above in terms of quality (but an entirely different UI).

SecondSpin is going to be the financial end of me. I just got an email today saying that my order of 23 CDs has shipped for $83. They just had a 30% off code that I used to knock off like $25 off. That and I have the latest Coheed and Cambria album on order with Amazon that I think comes out this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EAC also writes.

• Locked thread