Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I still buy cds because having the physical copy of an album makes me happy, even though I just rip them straight away and put them in the cupboard. CDs are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I go to op shops (goodwill sort of stores for my American friends) and buy like 20 of these motherfuckers at a time for &1 or $2 each it's really enjoyable.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sucks how everyone still wants a lot of money for them even though they're an obsolete format. It's like why would I want to pay $8.00 to have a CD shipped to me when I can pay $2 more and get it on iTunes.

Yeah it sucks that they are still pretty expensive, but on the other hand I don't like how they expect me to pay a similar price on itunes to only get a digital copy

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have 1668 CDs and I just keep buying them! They are the best format

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like vinyl, but unless you buy it off bandcamp you're unlikely to be able to listen to the album on the go with a digital copy. Download cards not being included in every new vinyl is dumb. CD supremacy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Digipacks can be pretty cool, but I've had more than a few new CDs turn up stuck in the glue of the digipack, sometimes making the last couple of tracks unreadable. Shops always take returns though so it's cool.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always assume the merch table will be cash only

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Some people are putting out higher than cd quality digital files now. Personally I think they're a waste of time, I can't tell If they sound any different.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beelerzebub posted:

Quick question: Is Anthrax worth listening to?

Sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7iNHw8QoQ

(goddamn the audio quality on this video is trash)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

The FYE closed in my mall, BestBuy is doing this, and Target has always been garbage. I hope that places start selling 24bit FLAC files, because if I'm buying a digital file, I want it to be at least as good as CD quality.

I don't disagree but cd quality is 16bit and 44.1keelohurts

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No reason, just wanted to make sure you weren’t avoiding 16bit stuff because it is lower than CD quality.

I’ve had quite a few times where the flacs that a band puts on bandcamp are higher than CD quality, which I guess is appreciated by some. The problem is bandcamp doesn’t tell you what quality the flacs are, just that they are flac, so I always end up downsampling them to 16/44.1 anyway since sonos won’t play any higher.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but if you're going to rip all your cds, why do it in mp3 when you can do it with a lossless format these days? it's not like storage space is a problem anymore

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because it's fast and who cares.

This is the CD thread lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
yeah I downsample everything to mp3 for my phone, too. I just think that if I’m going to back up my cds, I might as well actually back them up rather than compressing them in a lossy format. Not that I think I can hear the difference or anything. mp3s are good, but they aren’t a backup.

realbez fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
so I’m talking about backing up my cds and you’re telling me not to because cds are their own backup

• Locked thread