Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My favorite part was where shotguns were balanced around using them from behind cover, and suffered a debuff while standing/walking/running/jumping.

It wasn't just poorly balanced, it was created by people who apparently never played ME3MP. Or any other shooter. Or Xcom. Or any game that featured a shotgun ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Relentless posted:

My favorite part was where shotguns were balanced around using them from behind cover, and suffered a debuff while standing/walking/running/jumping.

This was the single most :psyduck: revelation of the whole andromeda balance journey and the moment where I started to suspect that most of the multiplayer team had never actually played a shooter before

I'm absolutely sympathetic toward bioware for everything they had to deal with re: the Frostbite Mandate, but the multiplayer team made it pretty clear over the next few months that they didn't have any excuse for the outright offensive balance at launch.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

exquisite tea posted:

You’re doing the lord’s work, my child. Glad you saved Tali for ME3, her death there is the most amazing thing in this series.

I had no idea any of this existed

Truth be told I usually play these sorts of games as a dream of personal effectiveness, so I want Tali to build a house on her planet with her friends and I lived through the final battle to bang my hot blue wifu and EVERYBODY IS CHILL, EVEN THOSE TELEPATHIC ZERG GUYS WHO'S NAME I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER ANYMORE

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm...I might actually like the zaeed sole survivor ending better

Are you joking or is this an actual thing?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

waah posted:

I was referring to the post I was quoting, I don’t know if they were joking or not

It’s probably too good to be true

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was referring to the post I was quoting, I don’t know if they were joking or not

It’s probably too good to be true

Haven't done extensive testing, but people I trust have said (and, if memory serves, shown footage, although I'm having trouble finding it) that if only one squad member survives, then Shepard falls to his or her death and the one person left flies off with Joker.

So, no special content for Zaeed, but if it's true, then the plot can end with Zaeed, once again, being the only one alive.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And the series still ends with Zaeed and Jessie in a pool recliner.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Haven't done extensive testing, but people I trust have said (and, if memory serves, shown footage, although I'm having trouble finding it) that if only one squad member survives, then Shepard falls to his or her death and the one person left flies off with Joker.

So, no special content for Zaeed, but if it's true, then the plot can end with Zaeed, once again, being the only one alive.

I've done a "shepard dies" run and I definitely remember Shepard falling to his death with a sad Joker flying off alone, but I can't remember if there was another crew mate in the ship or not.

I want to believe! The canon ending is that shepard dies in 2, and instead of the plot of 3, zaeed defeats the reapers on another sole survivor mission

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chiasaur11 posted:

If I remember correctly if Zaeed is one of your two surviving squadmates then you cannot get the option to kill him in his loyalty mission, even if you save it until after the suicide run.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, having an issue.

I'm doing a new runthrough of the trilogy, and have certain goals in mind. Mordin is going to survive Tuchanka, for one thing. So that sorta pre-determines Wrex's fate in ME1. The problem is, I want to grab the achievement for having Wrex along for X number of Assignments on the way, and I'm pretty sure I'm really close to getting it. But I'm out of destinations that aren't a) Virmire, or b) Pinnacle Station. I would like to avoid having to blitz through and let Wrex live long enough to grab the achievement then reload from before the confrontation.

So here's the problem. As I understand it, Pinnacle Station's three assignments count toward that achievement. I found a link to an EA site that offers a free installer for Pinnacle Station, along with various other DLC's from older games. Now, it APPEARS to have installed just fine. But when I go to actually visit Pinnacle Station, I hit board, get a brief "The Normandy is flying somewhere" loading screen... then black screen, error screen in the background, have to force-close the game with the Task Manager.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

waah posted:

It is an actual thing. I’ll try to dig up the post once I get home.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, having an issue.

I'm doing a new runthrough of the trilogy, and have certain goals in mind. Mordin is going to survive Tuchanka, for one thing. So that sorta pre-determines Wrex's fate in ME1. The problem is, I want to grab the achievement for having Wrex along for X number of Assignments on the way, and I'm pretty sure I'm really close to getting it. But I'm out of destinations that aren't a) Virmire, or b) Pinnacle Station. I would like to avoid having to blitz through and let Wrex live long enough to grab the achievement then reload from before the confrontation.

So here's the problem. As I understand it, Pinnacle Station's three assignments count toward that achievement. I found a link to an EA site that offers a free installer for Pinnacle Station, along with various other DLC's from older games. Now, it APPEARS to have installed just fine. But when I go to actually visit Pinnacle Station, I hit board, get a brief "The Normandy is flying somewhere" loading screen... then black screen, error screen in the background, have to force-close the game with the Task Manager.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

I remember Pinnacle Station was something of a problem when the PC port rolled around; something to do with a different studio making it to the rest of the game? Whatever it was it was enough that unlike Bring Down the Sky (I think that was the name of the bataraian asteroid DLC?) it didn't really ever work properly off of consoles, and it sort of became the un-DLC once 2 and 3 rolled around. Frankly, I'm surprised you've even got that far. Last time I tried to run the installer for Pinnacle it flat out closed itself every time I tried to run it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Serpentis posted:

I remember Pinnacle Station was something of a problem when the PC port rolled around; something to do with a different studio making it to the rest of the game? Whatever it was it was enough that unlike Bring Down the Sky (I think that was the name of the bataraian asteroid DLC?) it didn't really ever work properly off of consoles, and it sort of became the un-DLC once 2 and 3 rolled around. Frankly, I'm surprised you've even got that far. Last time I tried to run the installer for Pinnacle it flat out closed itself every time I tried to run it.

The installer I found on the EA site is actually incredibly recent: January 2018, in fact.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/

So, am I most likely simply going to have to accept playing through at least part of Virmire twice then, if I really want to get that achievement while I'm here?

EDIT: I ended up effectively ragequitting when I sped through the entire rest of the game (made sure to hit both assignments on the Citadel stranded bit) and still didn't get the achievement. I THOUGHT I'd had him along for everything, but I must have forgotten for at least a couple? But yeah, I ended up just going "Alright, screw this" and just unlocking the drat thing with a console command. Grabbed the ones for Liara and Tali (last two I didn't have) while I was at it. They were actually the last achievements I needed, too.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the online still active for this game? I just got Andromeda and loved the online in 3.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ulio posted:

Is the online still active for this game? I just got Andromeda and loved the online in 3.

Yeah, but it's a completely different experience. From what I've seen, ME3's mp is still as active as ME:A's.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I put in a lot of hours on 3's MP on PS3 but now I have a PC. Is it at all possible to get back into 3 with the same EA account?

I tried to get into the MP on Andromeda and but it just didn't feel the same so I gave up on it after a a few days.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I actually played ME3 online on 360 a lot then on PC, from what I remember it is a completely different account so you have to start over. I am sure you could probably get carried really easily since most who still play are at max on most classes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

I actually played ME3 online on 360 a lot then on PC, from what I remember it is a completely different account so you have to start over. I am sure you could probably get carried really easily since most who still play are at max on most classes.

You don't even need to get carried tbh. A human engineer or adept or sentinel are perfectly viable classes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, to make myself feel better, how many other people here find themselves compelled to take certain squadmates on certain missions every time to get certain dialogue, or because they talk about being there in later games?

Like, in 3, when Tali and Garrus are chatting, asking each other what their opinion is on their toughest mission, or comparing killcounts, they talk like they were both there on Ilos, the Dead Reaper, Garrus talks like he was in the team to Horizon... I feel compelled to take them to those missions for the sake of consistency.

Or Miranda's loyalty mission, I can't bring myself to NOT take Jack, purely so she can approve of Enyala insulting Miranda's outfit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

It's still very active, which makes it super frustrating that EA just shuttered the support for it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Iirc you can probably cheatengine yourself a tonne of currency since I doubt they ban for me3 anymore. Or just a bit so you dont get stuck with the stock weapons.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Iirc you can probably cheatengine yourself a tonne of currency since I doubt they ban for me3 anymore. Or just a bit so you dont get stuck with the stock weapons.

I was banned and wiped waaay back when they still cared about the game for messing with cheating in credits, got unbanned and immediately used cheatengine to give myself a billion credits. ME3 is end of support, they don't care anymore, go nuts.

For ME:A, you need to get a cheatengine table from somewhere. One of the options there is auto-ready up lobby, instant skip to last wave and set extraction timer to 10 seconds. Leave those three on overnight on platinum, and you'll have a lot of cash. They don't give a poo poo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dunno-Lars posted:

I was banned and wiped waaay back when they still cared about the game for messing with cheating in credits, got unbanned and immediately used cheatengine to give myself a billion credits. ME3 is end of support, they don't care anymore, go nuts.

For ME:A, you need to get a cheatengine table from somewhere. One of the options there is auto-ready up lobby, instant skip to last wave and set extraction timer to 10 seconds. Leave those three on overnight on platinum, and you'll have a lot of cash. They don't give a poo poo.

No they don't and bless you for the billions you helped me get to blow on top end crates <3

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dunno-Lars posted:

I was about to ask "Wouldn't you need to get to the zone" but realized you'd get money either way

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Pick a map that start in the extraction zone. Sand-something I think? Been so long, I can't remember. The cheatengine table is both in the discord, and on the mpgh forums.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay wow, I never realized until now, but...

Giving Garrus the N7 Typhoon in ME3 should be considered cheating. Holy hell. He dismantles everything in seconds. Atlases go down before I get a chance to fire more than one Overload or Warp at them. (Sentinel)

EDIT: BALAK, I KILLED YOU IN ME1, HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 23, 2018

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

precision posted:

It's still very active, which makes it super frustrating that EA just shuttered the support for it.

I've revisited this recently after having dropped it back in the summer whenever they put out the first batarian character. While there's still some people playing I definitely wouldn't say it's "very active." I have trouble finding games above silver difficulty on PC. Sometimes even a search for silver yields nothing. I imagine most of the "dedicated" players remaining just run their own groups so the PUG scene is scarce. I did some cheat engine farming for a bit to catch up on the absolutely obnoxious loot grind and there's not a lot of people around to actually use the stuff with. Maybe it's more alive on consoles (I kinda doubt that?)

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've revisited this recently after having dropped it back in the summer whenever they put out the first batarian character. While there's still some people playing I definitely wouldn't say it's "very active." I have trouble finding games above silver difficulty on PC. Sometimes even a search for silver yields nothing. I imagine most of the "dedicated" players remaining just run their own groups so the PUG scene is scarce. I did some cheat engine farming for a bit to catch up on the absolutely obnoxious loot grind and there's not a lot of people around to actually use the stuff with. Maybe it's more alive on consoles (I kinda doubt that?)

That's too bad. I was planning on buying it for PC once I finished up with a few other games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

For whats it worth Andromeda seems to very active at the very least. I just started the game and had no difficulty finding games in any difficulty.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, Garrus with the Typhoon is *definitely* a cheatcode.

He just made the Mirror Match in the Citadel DLC Arena relatively painless. That poo poo ain't right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, Garrus with the Typhoon is *definitely* a cheatcode.

He just made the Mirror Match in the Citadel DLC Arena relatively painless. That poo poo ain't right.

:catstare:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I took Garrus and Zaeed together to a Super-Elite match against Collectors in the Combat Sim. Zaeed has ALMOST as many assault-rifle damage buffs as Garrus.

I gave them both Typhoons. At one point, they both started firing at the same Praetorian, which had full health. It died in under two seconds.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm home in a week. Anyone want to play an anniversary round of this on xbone?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where is the single player thread? I can't find it anywhere

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Where is the single player thread? I can't find it anywhere

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796973&pagenumber=1113#lastpost

You can just post in whatever thread though, nobody really minds

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm most of the way through my second playthrough and there are things to like about this game but you have to look for them

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Don't list them or anything, just assume they are in fact there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The combat is really good. The further refinements to the combo system are great and the increased mobility makes firefights a much more frenetic affair. Drack and Jaal make a pretty good space bro squad and whoever wrote Liam's loyalty mission managed to make it hokey space opera in a way that felt lovable rather than annoying.
It would have been a lot better as a non mass effect branded game because it really suffered from having the name attached to it.
The title theme owns.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

It would have been a lot better as a non mass effect branded game because it really suffered from having the name attached to it.

The general feeling seems to be that it wasn't a terrible game. Probably a solid 7/10 effort.

But goddamn, it was a terrible Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Relentless posted:

The general feeling seems to be that it wasn't a terrible game. Probably a solid 7/10 effort.

But goddamn, it was a terrible Mass Effect.

Ah yes, the Deus Ex: Invisible War phenomenon

• Locked thread