Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Is the Mattock available for the multiplayer? Is it any good? It was always my go-to pre Saber.

It's still there. It's still the Mattock. There's some other interesting assault rifles that might compete with it, but I don't have any of them.

I need my Reegar back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Whomever was talking about the Charger pistol earlier...holy poo poo you weren't lying. It melts faces. First two times using it I got gold kill/pistol medals. That's never happened for me with the M-8 Avenger. Maybe the M-8 is just poo poo and I'm experiencing a not poo poo gun for the first time, not too many options when buying nothing but basic packs. My Charger is rank 10 and still playing on bronze, not sure how well it holds up on silver.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

katkillad2 posted:

Whomever was talking about the Charger pistol earlier...holy poo poo you weren't lying. It melts faces. First two times using it I got gold kill/pistol medals. That's never happened for me with the M-8 Avenger. Maybe the M-8 is just poo poo and I'm experiencing a not poo poo gun for the first time, not too many options when buying nothing but basic packs. My Charger is rank 10 and still playing on bronze, not sure how well it holds up on silver.

It totally holds up if you use an ammo booster. :D

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So if I understand correctly, you first have to start unlocking everything from the basic packs before moving on to more expensive packs. How can you see if you've unlocked all the content from a specific pack?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Baron von der Loon posted:

So if I understand correctly, you first have to start unlocking everything from the basic packs before moving on to more expensive packs. How can you see if you've unlocked all the content from a specific pack?

You don't have to do that. You can buy whatever you want.

You can check the collections screen and filter by a certain rarity (common for basic packs, etc).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Baron von der Loon posted:

You don't have to, it's just recommended to max out all the Common stuff first to take it out of rotation so they won't show up in the more expensive packs.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Buying the basic packs is efficient, but it's also pretty boring. Buy the more expensive ones now and then; unwrapping something interesting is worth it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Right now I'm buying at a rate of 3 Recruit:1 Advanced and it's gotten me some great characters and weapons (Turian Havoc, Talon, lots of upgrades for Human Engineer, lots of consumables and boosters which help a lot)

I've bought like 2 Spectre packs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't matter if they show up in more expensive packs anyway. A common showing up in a veteran pack isn't going to replace the guaranteed uncommon in the pack.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Digirat posted:

It doesn't matter if they show up in more expensive packs anyway. A common showing up in a veteran pack isn't going to replace the guaranteed uncommon in the pack.

^ The only reason to buy cheaper packs is efficiency. It let's you unlock some decent gear and characters more quickly than the higher tier stuff.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

No, but it takes up a slot that could potentially have been another uncommon

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
After playing multiplayer for about 15 hours or so, I would say maybe don't try to do the basic only thing unless you plan on putting 100+ hours into the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

katkillad2 posted:

After playing multiplayer for about 15 hours or so, I would say maybe don't try to do the basic only thing unless you plan on putting 100+ hours into the game.

Yeah I mean I'm buying Basic packs only because I do plan on maxing out a lot of stuff because the MP is horribly addictive, but also the way the classes work now, I do want to get the classes all up to Rank X because of the way you're encouraged to level every class so you can have massive passive boosts for all your dudes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so glad that buying a pack doesn't take 30 seconds any more

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah I mean I'm buying Basic packs only because I do plan on maxing out a lot of stuff because the MP is horribly addictive, but also the way the classes work now, I do want to get the classes all up to Rank X because of the way you're encouraged to level every class so you can have massive passive boosts for all your dudes.

It's not like ME 3, Passives use their own leveling bar that isn't impacted by Rank or Prestige. The only thing that matters is which class you're playing.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Origin ID: Fanzay

I am EU-region, though! Fair warning etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not like ME 3, Passives use their own leveling bar that isn't impacted by Rank or Prestige. The only thing that matters is which class you're playing.

Oh I see what you're saying, so all Soldier classes count toward the Soldier passive, gotcha.

I still want everyone at Rank X so I can make them look as pretty as possible :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm carrying my Christmas color scheme over from Warframe. I will bring Christmas to the Andromeda galaxy :sun:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The custom face creator was bugging me so I just picked Default Sara for the campaign and while I'm not regretting it because I actually like the way she looks I wish to God I could just push a button and make her look like Female Human Sentinel :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

Oh I see what you're saying, so all Soldier classes count toward the Soldier passive, gotcha.

I still want everyone at Rank X so I can make them look as pretty as possible :colbert:

Yeah. It's great because once you get a class to 20 you can just stick to playing gold+ from then one. No more restarting at level 1 every ten hours or so.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Unlike ME3, getting rank X is important for characters because each rank awards additional skill points. A rank I character will only be able to spec something like 6/6/5/1/0 at level 20 while a rank X can spec 6/6/6/6/1 (I believe, though it might be 6/6/6/6/0).

I'd still recommend throwing in an expert pack or two occasionally. There's a lot of good rare guns that are better at rank I than commons are at X.

Edit: Buying basic packs also nets you enough consumables that you can afford to use them regularly. If you try to save for expert/premium packs while playing bronze/silver you'll never have enough consumables!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some of these guns are such bad filler it seems, I got the Rare Remnant Beam Sniper Rifle (Shockwave or something?) and it's about as useful as a super soaker, and operates in the same manner

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eh, most of the guns being trash is true in ME 3 too... and also nearly every multiplayer shooter one could name.

Orv
May 4, 2011

precision posted:

Some of these guns are such bad filler it seems, I got the Rare Remnant Beam Sniper Rifle (Shockwave or something?) and it's about as useful as a super soaker, and operates in the same manner

Shadow. It's so intensely garbage I'm not sure how it got through testing.

Though at this point the idea that anyone tested this is maybe more incredulous.

Also is it just me or did Observers get way more deadly from the trial to now? They're psycho aimbot laser murderers now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm carrying my Christmas color scheme over from Warframe. I will bring Christmas to the Andromeda galaxy :sun:

But will you still weave sinister crotch magic?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Depends on who my targets are :pervert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhXjSj-1bP8

I killed something so hard I reset the universe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: You can carry exploding barrels around with you using Pull. The barrels do affect your teammates. The ones ignoring the objectives and waiting for you to do them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If only you could pull teammates.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alteisen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhXjSj-1bP8

I killed something so hard I reset the universe.

You shot the internet connection!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

If only you could pull teammates.

Then drop them off cliffs...

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Is the level 6 evolution of the Human Vanguard Barrier passive worth taking, and if so, top or bottom? I'm doing the Charge + melee for almost infinite shields strategy.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe
Having a blast so far, origin name is Malseth.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

Is the level 6 evolution of the Human Vanguard Barrier passive worth taking, and if so, top or bottom? I'm doing the Charge + melee for almost infinite shields strategy.

The Saving Barrier (bottom) is a nice shield boost in a bind, especially when running away! I suspect that biotic melee doesn't count as a "biotic power", so I didn't bother with the top evolution because I hardly ever kill mooks with powers. For silver, at least, I feel that it nicely rounds out survivability, and is much nicer than, say, an extra 6 points in shockwave.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What button are you supposed to hit when something grabs you in melee?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Zotix posted:

What button are you supposed to hit when something grabs you in melee?

The only thing you can escape from is the dog, by hitting E. The bosses automatically kill you if you're dumb enough to get grabbed.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Stickman posted:

The Saving Barrier (bottom) is a nice shield boost in a bind, especially when running away! I suspect that biotic melee doesn't count as a "biotic power", so I didn't bother with the top evolution because I hardly ever kill mooks with powers. For silver, at least, I feel that it nicely rounds out survivability, and is much nicer than, say, an extra 6 points in shockwave.

Sounds good, thanks!

Any thoughts on the Nova evo that uses shields :sheep face:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How in God's name do you mute people with hot mics?

e: How many skill points do you get total? The Asari Adept is fun but I want to know what I can plan on maxing and what I should leave at pretty basic ranks.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 23, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

How in God's name do you mute people with hot mics?

e: How many skill points do you get total? The Asari Adept is fun but I want to know what I can plan on maxing and what I should leave at pretty basic ranks.

On PC at least, mouse over their name plate in the lobby or hit Esc in game and mouse over their name, then hit X on either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well there's a new and entertaining glitch. Joined a game and got dropped in as a soldier with a base avenger and no powers.

• Locked thread