Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I want to just unlock the Krogan Engineer as quickly as possible, is my best bet still just to buy the cheapest packs, or should I get a slightly more expensive one until I unlock it? I'm not really sure how the odds shake out for unlocking new classes with each tier of pack.

Getting that class is my immediate goal, because I'm a simpleton and incinerate > overload over and over is about as much complexity as I can handle in a class while still being useful to the team (I don't like cryo blast so the human engi isn't as good for me). And krogans look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh, well that sucks. What's the best class for idiots with bad gear then?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digirat posted:

Yeah due to absurdly weak combos and the enormous health gains enemies get on gold, combined with not being able to get 3-second cooldowns like ME3, tech powers fall off super hard. I actually think the engineer is the best class when you are just starting the game and using commons on bronze, but by the time you hit gold, a charged overload specced entirely for raw damage to shields will not even take out the shields on a sharpshooter or an observer. And then it's on a huge cooldown so you're back to being Man with Gun who has no survivability. The krogan engineer has more survivability but I do not think cryo beam for incinerate is a good trade.

It makes sense that the gun balance has gotten the most complaints, but I think powers are a close second for issues bioware needs to look at.

That's a shame, I liked tech a lot in ME3. I'm glad Vanguards are at least still good. And infiltrator looks like it'll be fun if I get my hands on a good gun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the right way to spec/play vanguard in this game (I have Krogan unlocked so I'll use that if it makes a difference)?

I'm guessing that the glory days of ME3 where the cooldown on charge was finished by the time you completed the animation for nova are gone; is charge > punch > charge the new always be charging?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You guys vanguard is so fun why do people play anything else

Should I pick bastion or the recharge bonus for my tier 6 upgrade?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Recharge bonus all the way. If you're constantly charging you keep your shields up that way.

Krogan Vanguard with the Juggernaut Shield is amazing. My forehead hits harder than an Isharay.

I was expecting to love Krogan Vanguard, but I think I like the human a little better; having quick punches seems a little more satisfying to me than a slow headbutt. Although I don't have the jugg shield yet...

I'm also pretty lousy about remembering whether fortify is on or off.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also have to lol at the fact that attaching the melee optimizer to the Ruzad Shotgun actually makes it look less threatening

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Having tooled around with both human and krogan vanguard I definitely have decided I like Human better, unfortunately. The headbutt just isn't as satisfying as it should be, whereas mashing the falcon punch button just feels really good.

Bastion/Shock Trooper aside, how should I build HumGuard? My gut says "ignore shockwave" but I've been wrong before.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cirofren posted:

Taking the "huuuah! ha-ha!" voice lines away from the Krogan melee was the biggest nerf. Unironically worse than the bad guns.

At least they kept the eye-searing rage graphic effect

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought I was going to log in to just try a few things in MP tonight, and now it's suddenly hours later and I'm going to be biotic punching in my dreams. I'm glad they didn't gently caress up MP in this one (at least as far as vanguards are concerned)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

Melee
To reduce the effectiveness of repeated melees against tougher enemies, player melee attacks can now be interrupted by enemy attacks.

This is a slap in the face

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is my fault for saying I was glad they didn't gently caress up multiplayer last night. Sorry. I'm sorry

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is bronze still fun at least

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If all you want is the multiplayer, I'd just get me3 honestly. I think this game has the potential to be real good, and the higher mobility is lots of fun, but the MP isn't worth $60 when me3 is much cheaper. Not yet anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tooterfish posted:

It's worth noting that like ME3, "power damage" doesn't affect combo damage.

It's also worth noting that unlike ME3, neither does power rank. All detonations are the same strength whether generated by rank 1 powers or rank 6 ones.

The only thing that affects combo damage are the traits that specifically say they do. And those are worded a bit inconsistently, so it's hard to tell exactly how it all works at the moment. Some say combo damage, some say detonator damage... which could mean wildly different things.

Yeah the terminology on some of these tooltips is pretty opaque. "Power restoration" is one that throws me still (since 'recharge' is a separate thing I guess?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish the avenger was a viable weapon. I like the way the gun handles, and I really like the reload animation that it has in this game. It's a shame that it's so shy about killing people though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't experienced any of these crashes, and I'm on a wired connection so maybe that's it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think there's a build calculator yet but I dunno for sure.

Nova as a primer is very funny and also a hard stun on unprotected enemies, and will stagger most human-sized enemies with protection. I didn't like the shield drain evolution, but maybe you might.

Shock Trooper on Charge, the 6a evolution, is pretty ok if you inexplicably always host and never lag.

The Barrier 6 evolution that gives max shields at low health once every ten seconds is pretty incredible.

I haven't messed around with forgoing Apex Training to max out Shockwave into a primer and using Shock Trooper to detonate everything alongside Nova primer but it might be worth playing with on one of the two characters.

The Charger with melee enhanced is objectively the best Vanguard gun below rares.

I didn't realize that the saving barrier evolution allowed you to survive sync kills, that seems pretty nice to have. I was leaning toward the "restore shields on kill" evolution but it seems like the other one is the clear choice.

I wish shotguns didn't suck, because having a weapon with a bayonet attached would just be so aesthetically pleasing for vanguards. Although I guess the optimal weapon being called "the charger" is a good consolation prize.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh I glazed right over the part where it said "biotic kills". Unless your biotic punching fist counts then yeah gently caress that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's weird that it would show up as two different names in the kill log but "biotic amp" is just the name of the melee weapon, I think. I would be a little surprised if that counts for the purposes of the shield restore, since Melee attacks and biotic powers seem to be two separate things but :shrug:

This could be a lot clearer lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm playing on PC and I can imagine this game being very hard on consoles, since everything zips around so fast now, and power-based classes are less..uh, powerful.

Vanguard would still be fun but anything that requires you to aim a gun at a weakspot sounds like hell to play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On the subject of strike teams, I'm not seeing a reason why you'd ever want to recruit all 6 of your possible teams. I have 4, and just by popping onto the apex app at work periodically, I've cleared all the possible missions by like 1pm. If anything, I need fewer teams, because it's slower to level them up (still don't have anything that can do a gold).

Maybe they'll add more missions at a time later on or something, I dunno.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

Am I the only one getting constant desyncs (which fucks up evasions and jumpjet evasion traversal) and constant lag? This is not cool :(

Yeah, it's P2P connections, which means your latency is at the mercy of your host. It sucks :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone have a good solution for how slow building shaders is every time you turn the game on? It takes a couple minutes to even get into a match after you ready up now.

That was really only bad for me the first night I played the game after the patch installed. It's chilled out a lot since. I'm on an SSD, which is maybe helping?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Fiends need to be louder, a giant rock monster should not be that quiet.

1.06 patch notes:
    - Fiends now have banshee scream sound effect

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digirat posted:

Sticky grenade: Go for more grenades and damage to armor. With 4+ grenade capacity you can cloak, stick every grenade to a hydra/berserker/fiend to do mega damage, then circle to an ammo box and do it again. Become budget Grenade Bastard.

I hope this is a feature and not a bug because having the "gently caress off, bosses" button in your pocket like that is amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now that Garrus is gone all your weapons are miscalibrated

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish they'd put a little more effort into strike team name assignments. I have 5 teams and three are named Charlie

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As long as they leave at least a couple classes at a time brokenly strong so I can have fun with them until they actually balance the dumb game then whatever who cares they can do what they want

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

If EA wants to increase profit make it so you can buy specific weapons or characters or whatever. My Scorpion and Black Widow are still at level 4-ish in ME3 thanks to the RNG loving me over :argh:

I would think that too, and might actually be tempted to spend a few bucks on some choice gear if I get drunk and lazy enough but I feel like the RNG lootbox method is so prominent now that companies must have figured out that they ultimately make more money off of whales dumping IRL money into the RNG meat grinder than they get from normal people making a few key purchases here and there.

I dunno, whatever, it doesn't matter, who cares

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I had to take a guess at what's going on without actually knowing anything, I'd say that me3 was able to be quickly patched and balanced because nobody cared about it and a small team could do what they wanted with it

Now that they've realized MP is profitable, people with expensive titles are overseeing it and making bad decisions slowly because all executives are dumb and wrong

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Please keep all "yell at exquisite tea for their mass effect opinions" to the single player thread, thank you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Here's an opinion

I like mea but I liked me3 better and would like the game to improve

:same:

I enjoy the jetpacking, and if they ever get the game into a state where guns are actually useful, I'll enjoy that too. For now, vanguard punching and sniping with other classes is fine, I guess

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish that when you used the hammer after pull, the animation would change to a baseball bat home run swing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm ok with the assignment of points being unbalanced for a while if the debts want to work on other parts of the game first

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would also be happy with a mass effect clone set in the xcom universe

Not the bureau, that was mediocre

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

+10% of nothing is still nothing.

Counterpoint: they might accidentally make it useful in a later balance patch. Unless there's something else you're saving your apex app bux for, you might as well grab it now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If my singular goal is to unlock the Asari Duelist as quickly as possible, how should I be spending my money on packs? I'm a little unclear on how the system works, and there's a bunch of stuff in the Basic packs I haven't upgraded to max level yet, but I don't really care about wasting money, the duelist sounds fun and I just want to unlock it as quickly as possible.

Can I just buy Expert packs, or does the system work in an rear end-backwards way where ultimately I'll get her faster some other way?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Relentless posted:

I keep getting pubbies who don't know you can dash with it.

Can you charge with it? I just did my first delivery game and was afraid to try

I did figure out you could dash, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It sounds like they're at least aware of the real problems this time, so hopefully they actually fix them!

• Locked thread