Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magic isn't strong enough for that to be a big deal, and even when there's barely any winds you usually have enough to cast a buff spell or two since they're so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Magic is pretty weak with ultra unit sizes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Magic can be summed up as

"Net of Amyntok"
"Earth Blood" or "Regrowth"

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Wait, unit sizes impact the effectiveness of magic? That's awkward. Do heroes at least scale better in direct combat, or are they swinging the same swings and killing people in the same arcs either way?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's me, I'm the guy who still rolls with Bright Wizards because all the fire spells look so pretty. :downs:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My waagh armies keep getting killed without a battle during my opponents' turn. What mechanic is letting the AI do this?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doopliss posted:

Wait, unit sizes impact the effectiveness of magic? That's awkward. Do heroes at least scale better in direct combat, or are they swinging the same swings and killing people in the same arcs either way?

Magic is literally the only thing that does not scale with unit sizes.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Awesome. Much appreciated.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Doopliss posted:

As I understand it, heroes are more powerful on Ultra size because while units are more plentiful, still only a limited number can surround a hero unit and attack it in combat. Meanwhile heroes get the full benefit of higher scaled stats, so can blender their way through hordes of units.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

My waagh armies keep getting killed without a battle during my opponents' turn. What mechanic is letting the AI do this?
Are you dropping below adequate fightiness or 17 units in the stack?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Are you dropping below adequate fightiness or 17 units in the stack?

No there are battles happening, I just don't get to participate even when my armies are nearby.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Arglebargle III posted:

No there are battles happening, I just don't get to participate even when my armies are nearby.

Lightning Strike?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fangz posted:

As I understand it, heroes are more powerful on Ultra size because while units are more plentiful, still only a limited number can surround a hero unit and attack it in combat. Meanwhile heroes get the full benefit of higher scaled stats, so can blender their way through hordes of units.

I still love my Morghur the Shadowgave beat an entire wood elf army by himself. It was kind of unbelievable. They could just not get through his regen enough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lunethex posted:

I always use the rocket batteries, are there any good reasons to actually use the others? Besides Mortars anyway, essentially Mark 1 rocket batteries.

I wondered the same thing about Dwarf artillery too, why use anything but the Grudge Throwers for sheer range and killing power?

hellblaster volley guns versus serried ranks of slow, armoured chaos or dwarf troops :q:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Turns 74-82

We discovered the Border Princes recently. South of The Empire lies a land even more politically tumultuous than our own, inhabited by a variety of self-appointed kings and emperors each of whom control less land and people than the average mayor of a large town in The Empire. We could use another trade partner so we'll work on these guys. We're a bit short of funds right now though because of army upkeep and infrastructure projects in Middenland, so the bribes will have to wait.

The real vampire war kicks off south of Altdorf at Grunburg. Thousands of undead pour across the border of Talabecland and siege our town, but the Emperor's army is already waiting for them. He marches out with the town garrison to engage the vampire forces in a field battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kndArquH5zE

Our new Greatsword infantry are the perfect counter to hordes of undead. Karl Franz has a very large model and isn't holding up too well from being attacked by so many enemies at once so we'll want to get his protective item the Silver Seal soon.

With the von Carstein offensive defeated, the Wissenland army moves up to capitalize on the victory and give the Reiklanders some breathing room.

The remaining vampire forces are scattered by von Wulfen's attack, but the leaders escape. But you can see a fourth reinforcing army coming down from Talabheim.

The army recovers from it's losses. But there may not be any time for rest as Skarsnik moves in to get his revenge against Karl Franz.

In Wissenland public order is becoming a problem once again without troops to enforce the Emperor's control. The +5 to order from 'characters' is the public order bonus from Ghal Maraz, but we'll have to send von Wulfen back soon. It's apparent that Wissenland cannot be left to it's own devices for too long.

Helman Ghorst arrives with a 'fresh' army of zombies and skeletons. The vampire lords coalesce around their reinforcements, provoding some melee punch to an army of otherwise low-quality troops, but it sucks for them because von Wulfen has brought along the Empire's A-Team of vampire cleansers. The warrior priest, light wizard and witch hunter are going to give the vampire's a run for their money. And our gold-chevron Swordsmen may be outnumbered but each of them is worth almost as much as the Sigmar's Sons themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUv5CJAfxQM

A close-run thing, but the veterancy bonus on our troops paid off big time.

Out of nowhere, Bordeleux declares war. Alright then. Let's hope he doesn't actually go through with it because some Bretonnians stacks to our southwest would be super annoying right now.

As feared, Karl Franz' army did not get a chance to recuperate before the goblins were at the walls. The army is not in a fit state to fight so Karl will have to hold out for reinforcements. Skarsnik's own army is taking losses from infighting. It seems the goblins are extremely bored from having no easier targets to pick on and lack the patience for a siege.

On his way back to Wissenland, von Wulfen easily lifts the siege without much trouble.

I auto-resolved it because the power bar was so much in our favour, but most of Karl's low-health units died anyway... This is super annoying and they will have to be quickly rebuilt in order to take advantage of our recent victory over the Vampire Counts.

Skarsnik has finally been disposed of once and for all. He was a worthy foe who inflicted more than one defeat on us. Skarsnik just had to piss on Karl's parade one last time by wiping out most of his best units.

The desperate Count Ludenhof is very happy with our performance against Mannfred's hordes and our relations are quickly improving.

But it seems that Count Leitdorf has other ideas and terminates our non-aggression pact. They don't call him the Mad Count for nothing.

King Leoncouer finally ends the threat of the vampire in the west even as the Empire prepares to march on Talabheim.

Karl Franz took a lot of damage in the previous battle so it's time to get him some improved protection. We begin the quest battle for the Silver Seal by teleporting into eastern Stirland. The battle was quite easy so I won't bother recording it.

Turns out the Banishment spell does a lot more damage when overcast, but it can be useful that way.

A 20% ward save (damage resistance) ought to keep Karl Franz in fighting shape for longer. The corruption cleansing bonus will also be greatly appreciated as we march on the vampire's stolen lands. To compound this bonus I've been putting points int Karl's yellow branch of skills to unlock extra melee defence and hitpoints.

Speaking of corruption, attempts are being made to restore Talabecand to a semblance of normality. The land itself withers and dies under the pall of the vampire's magics. Our heroes leads patrols through the crumbling villages to liberate the downtrodden Talabeclanders...

But out of nowhere, a Ghoul King leads a hidden army to assault our recently captured settlement in Talabecland and razes it to the ground. They quickly disappear once more. We'll have to watch out for this sneak king.

It's about time we got this research done, now a small corruption cleansing bonus has been added to all of our territory. It's not much but will pair nicely with the cleansing skills most of our lords have.

Next we will be researching a damage bonus for our more elite troops, since our basic infantry have already been substantially upgraded.

Struggling against Chaos marauders and beastmen, Kislev desperately sues for peace wit it's former ally. We could extract reparations from them... but we don't really want Kislev to have too much of a hard time since they are the Empire's northern buffer. We'll just give them the peace deal and leave them alone.

After a few turns restoring his army, the Emperor's launches his own offensive. Because Talabecland has suffered such severe vampiric corruption just moving through it's territory causes attrition damage to all of our units. It's slow going then as Karl's army establishes a defensive encampment at the end of each turn, cutting his army movement in half.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

We'll have to watch out for this sneak king.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Sometimes it is a little hard for me to hear the commentary in the videos... Mike is a little unclear.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I think you might have a couple Orcs masquerading in your army, heard several very distinctive Waagh's during those battles.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Seconding that it was hard to hear you over the game noise, especially when zoomed in close to the action. And yes, the VCs tend to field a lot of armies, but very rarely do they actually field good armies. As long as you can deal with the vampire lord and any grave guards the fights tend to be pretty easy. Makes for some fun battles against overwhelming numbers though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I really like the sound effects though!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Morbidmind posted:

I think you might have a couple Orcs masquerading in your army, heard several very distinctive Waagh's during those battles.

Der's no Orkz ere. We'z all totally legit 'umies, right boyz?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
guys in your opinion is auto-resolve cheating cuz the way the game calculates auto-resolve scores seems really really off but OTOH on very hard/legendary the battles feel so unfair I use it anyway

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Dunno, maybe the Empire wouldn't have lost those couple of low health units if auto-resolve was smarter?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Watching the halberdier casually walk up and poke the zombie's head off is pretty amusing. CA really puts a lot of effort into the close up animation despite much of the game being played zoomed out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Danann posted:

Watching the halberdier casually walk up and poke the zombie's head off is pretty amusing. CA really puts a lot of effort into the close up animation despite much of the game being played zoomed out.

Speaking of which, I noticed that in the fight with the Red Duke, he lurched around and looked like he was on his last legs before flew over backwards and died to a flurry of bullets. Do units move differently when they're critically injured?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
For what its worth, winds of Magic do make me sub in Rune Smiths over engineers if I play Dorfs.

Also, I recently discovered that chosen Axemen wreck your face. Even if you a heavily upgrade longbeard (I guess I should fully switch to Ironbreakers and Hammers), on a hill (and numbers are roughly 1:1) and even if a bunch of grudge throwers reduced the problem from 400 chosen axemen to like 250.

Chaos seems to be a more aggravting enemy then Orcs or Vampires. The Axe throwing Cavalry hurts pretty heavily, beats up most archers on a charge and inflicts sizeable damage on a rear or flank charge even vs. Dorfs. Chosen just wreck poo poo, and hellcannons Psi blasts actually are actually homing missles, which means you cant troll hellcannons with Gyrocoptors, and it means they are very effective in artillery duels.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Also, is it just me or does Bretonia kind of suck in the campaign?

Issues I have:
1: You get -20 to public order everywhere in the first 20 turns. Needless to say, this kind of limits your early expansion.
2: Beastmen are incredibly difficult to catch.
3: Your buildings are massively worse then Dwarfen ones. The farm needs a mill, another building slot, to be upgraded. The money making building also needs another building to be upgraded.
4: Pretty much only 2 province regions.
5: It will be a long time before you can hire anything that it not a peasent. Peasent are not only pretty bad at most things, you also have a very hard cap of them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Number 1 isn't an issue, it's how the Bretonnian factions get supercharged high-rank lords and experienced troops to use on campaign elsewhere after the first 20 turns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mightypeon posted:

Also, is it just me or does Bretonnia kind of suck in the campaign?

Well, GW is a British company, and this is their IP, so :v:

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

Mightypeon posted:

Issues I have:
1: You get -20 to public order everywhere in the first 20 turns. Needless to say, this kind of limits your early expansion.

Go blow up Grung Zint to the southeast, near Marienburg. I think that stops the orcs constantly showing up. Or play whack a mole for experience?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dmar posted:

Go blow up Grung Zint to the southeast, near Marienburg. I think that stops the orcs constantly showing up. Or play whack a mole for experience?
Definitely whackamole.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mightypeon posted:

Issues I have:
2: Beastmen are incredibly difficult to catch.
3: Your buildings are massively worse then Dwarfen ones. The farm needs a mill, another building slot, to be upgraded. The money making building also needs another building to be upgraded.
4: Pretty much only 2 province regions.
5: It will be a long time before you can hire anything that it not a peasent. Peasent are not only pretty bad at most things, you also have a very hard cap of them.

You're not really meant to conquer your fellow Brets, it would be unchivalrous. Ideally you should spend those first 20 turns beating up an orc revolt every turn; it's actually in your interest to reduce public order, which increases the amount of revolts (and chivalry, money, loot, and experience). You should also focus on the techs that give you extra stuff for beating orcs, early on. Beastmen suck to deal with, but if you can keep them away from your cities, you can basically just shunt them into the next province over; for some reason, doing this isn't unchivalrous at all.

The two-city provinces suck. They get a bit better when you consider that you can destroy the mill once your farm is fully upgraded, and likewise with the industry building. (Also it's worth noting that Bret farms don't provide growth, only money and archer recruitment).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Morbidmind posted:

The Empire is kind of in the midst of a recruitment crisis, I think they would be willing to look the other way for any particularly large green recruits as long as they march in formation and hit what they're told to hit.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Krazyface posted:

The two-city provinces suck. They get a bit better when you consider that you can destroy the mill once your farm is fully upgraded,

Didn't that get patched out?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for the hints everyone!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Artificer posted:

Speaking of which, I noticed that in the fight with the Red Duke, he lurched around and looked like he was on his last legs before flew over backwards and died to a flurry of bullets. Do units move differently when they're critically injured?

Missile fire can stun units.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
even big ones. i remember during a co-op campaign, it was me as dwarves and my partner as VC against 3 full stacks of chaos. we dug in, and pretty quickly my quarrelers were lacking targets because the battle had joined. then i tried telling them to fire on the giants that Chaos had brought along.

holy dingus. not only did every quarreler on the field suddenly have an unobstructed shot, the giants i targeted stumbled around like they were drunk off their asses, doing no more damage until they finally fell over from having approximately eleventy billion bolts in their bodies.

it OWNED.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Large units were actually recently patched to be more vulnerable to missiles in a melee. It's one of the best ways to deal with them.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Empire is kind of in the midst of a recruitment crisis, I think they would be willing to look the other way for any particularly large green recruits as long as they march in formation and hit what they're told to hit.

Sound like the fantasy equivalent of Stormboyz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Turns 83 -93

Dire news indeed. It's best if the vampires can be destroyed or at least contained before the Chaos hordes arrive, so that our energies can be directed north in order to defend our allies from certain doom. But earlier setbacks in this campaign mean we're in the middle of a war against the vampires just as the Chaos hordes arrive.

Citizens flock west, seeking escape from the tyrannical regime of the 'Emperor' von Carstein in favour of our own one. It just so happens that the Imperial war machine could use thousands of extra warm bodies right about now.

The Empire is now at war with the Chaos Warriors faction as well as both Norsca factions, who have been goaded by their gods to overrun our lands.

Sorcerors and other champions of Chaos have revealed themselves all across the Empire. In every province they begin to propagate and cause harm. Even in well-policed lands like Wissenland Chaos corruption is on the rise. We have the 'purge cults' tech, some heroes patrolling and a general with the corruption cleansing skill on top of a shrine to Sigmar, so the corruption ought not to get too high.

The Great Enemy is known for subversion and the Empire was not found unprepared for this eventually, one of the many positive advantages of running a hyper-paranoid state church and inquisition (Volkmar the Grim looking up from his newspaper, wild-eyed: "...chaos chaos chaos CHAOS CHAOS CHAOSCHAOSCHAOS!").

The beastmen tribes join in on the fun, too.

And so did Duke de Bordeleaux' army verily show up and besiege poor Helmgart once more. They would probably defeat the garrison so Reiksmarshal Taalson comes back from Marienburg to face them.

The Bretonnians have a couple of good units but not enough manpower overall to seriously threaten our forces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIao8ifdO8k

We picked up a really good item this time, a Potion of Healing which does exactly what it says on the tin. This goes straight onto Karl Franz.

We need the valiant knights to pay about 2100 gold in war reparations, and then sign this 'stop trying to steal our poo poo' clause.

Having settled matters, we leave the Bretonnians to return to their homeland back the way they came. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

In Middenland, we have completed the Woodworker's Shop, which provides both a recruitment cost reduction and a very significant vet bonus to spearmen and crossbowmen. We are also going to use a militiaman advisor (+1 infantry vet), an armoury (+1 infantry vet), the 'state troop sergeants' tech (+2 infantry vet), the recent Migration event (reduced recruitment costs) and the 'state troop levy' provincial commandment (further reduced recruitment cost). Taken together, Boris Todbringer is recruiting an entirely new army of gold-chevron infantry for pennies on the dollar. It would even better if we had Karl Franz doing it with his blue branch skills, but he's busy and this will do. Bris also have a few points in the 'Honest Steel' skill which further improves melee infantry stats.

Spearmen aren't the worst melee infantry in the game, but they are pretty crap. Nonetheless, all the bonus tech we've researched applies to them as much as to Swordsmen so with enough vet they ought to form a credible front line. Meanwhile, our vetted Empire Knights from the Knight's Panther Chapterhouse will close battles in the traditional way through lance charges into the enemy rear, so it's not like the spearmen will have to do everything themselves.

Normally Spearmen cost 300, Crossbowmen 525 and Knights 900, so we're saving a fair bit of gold on this upcoming 20-stack. This army isn't made to be the best, it's made to be cost effective. It costs around 2000 gold in upkeep compared to over 4000 for Karl Franz' army (who even has an upkeep reduction skill). It won't be able to pull off miracle wins but it can pull it's weight.

Karl Franz' army is slowly trudging it's way through Talabecland. This marsh and woodland terrain slows down movement, and combined with us sacrificing half our movement to encamp at the end of each turn it's going to take a while before we get out of the sticks and reach Talabheim.

Karl got there eventually and found the city almost abandoned. The necromancer's army retreats east to Ostermark rather than defend the city. The remaining garrison is easy crushed and Talabheim retaken.

It's new a dawn for Talabecland as the vampire overlords are cast out and normality slowly returns to the land through the best efforts of our wizards and priests.

We are starting to over-expand now and our armies are becoming thinly stretched. Once the Todbringer arrives with his army to support Karl's attack on vampire-held Ostermark, both Reikland and Middenland will be left with only their town garrisons for defence. We've taken another province but can't afford another army. We already have provinces dedicated to recruiting troops, so once Talabecland is rebuilt it will become largely dedicated to generating gold for us as will any other provinces we reclaim from now on.

Right now we are still only on -30 diplomatic penalty for 'great power', but taking any more regions may result in it going up to -40. Our Bretonnian and Dwarfen allies like us enough that we could get by even with that penalty, so it's not been decided yet what to do with Ostermark.

Conveniently, Count Ludenhof agrees to both a trade deal and military access. We need the gold and it's nice to have another corridor that we can use to pass through to the northeast where the Chaos armies are coming from.

Count Leitdorf has changed his mind again so we also got a non-aggression pact and trade deal out of him.

We're making more gold than ever from trade. It was a lot of hassle getting these trade deals on legendary difficulty, but in addition to the gold per turn it makes those factions less likely to stab us in the back.

Count Todbringer arrives to back up Karl Franz. Because we haven't yet cleansed the province enough to avoid taking attrition damage, our armies briefly moved to Hochland we can gather our forces in safety. The vampires are already back to four full stacks; their armies are bad but they can be rebuilt quickly. This means that they tend to do poorly in 1v1 wars, but if you suffer an unexpected reversal or other factions put extra pressure on you it can lead to early gains being lost as the vampires reinforcements surge in.

Instead of engaging our combined force, they march right past them in an attempt to retake Talabheim. Naturally, we aren't going to let that happen.

Karl Franz would probably need to do a lightning strike to take on that vampire force alone but with Todbringer we can bring the entire enemy force to battle without too much worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6prfd-XaQg

With the disintegration of the undead horde, the remnants are easily swept away until nothing remains.

We've begun leveling up this guy, the life wizard Ruttschel. He'll eventually learn healing spells that make him awesome.

For now though I've put his first couple of skill points into 'prime mover' the building cost-reduction skill (always super useful) and Life Bloom. It is a passive ability and every time Ruttschel casts a spell, our entire army gets healed a bit. This pairs nicely with his starting spell, Awakening of the Wood, which is cheap to cast and causes a small explosion. It doesn't do a lot of damage by itself, but we can cast it repeatedly without running out of magic and every time it both does a bit of damage and heals our entire army so the effects start adding up over time. In Warhammer, wizards heal their allies by chain-casting explosions and don't have to explain poo poo.

Another tech was researched. This improved the damage of Greatswords, Knights/Reiksguard and Halberdiers; units that we started recruiting more of recently.

The vampire forces have been dealt with for now, but stacks of Norscan marauders have immediately taken their place. Fortunately it seems like there aren't too many of them and a lot of their units are already below full-strength from their battles against Kislev. Still, it gives the vampires some breathing room to raise new hordes of minions.

Meanwhile, in Wissenland the beastmen are raiding us again. That's a terrifying amount of minotaurs even if the rest of the army is trash. There's no way we could engage that army in a field battle and expect to win with what we have available.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2017

• Locked thread