Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've only had it 2 weeks and the PO had a new collar gear put on it in 2015, and then had it resealed last month so no probs yet.

I think sonic blue wasn't available in 04, and neither were the bumper cutouts. This is an 06. Very rare 6 speed sonic with no sunroof. Just the way I want it.

In V50 news I drove it all weekend and it runs really nice, and the VIN inspection went great. The cop barely looked at the car, just checked the VIN and I was in and out. So all I need is the new title and plates monday morning and it's on the road. New bumper cover arrives tuesday so next weekend I'll get that on and the thread will be over.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So I went to get plates for this car this morning and of course what I thought was a blessing...

LloydDobler posted:

The cop barely looked at the car, just checked the VIN and I was in and out.

Turns out to be a curse. He made a loving typo in my VIN on the formal VIN inspection report. The most important piece of documentation that I need to obtain a new title.

It was his only job, to get the VIN right, and he hosed it up. Swapped the last two numbers.

And now I'm kicking myself for not reading it right there when he handed it to me. I could have saved myself tons of hassle, I was just super excited that it went so smooth and wanted to get on with my Saturday. Now I have to basically repeat the entire process. Only instead of a 2 day temp tag, it'll be a one day temp tag. They're very strict about that for salvage vehicles, normally they wouldn't even issue me the second one but they see it's obviously not my mistake.

Sigh. I'm getting tired of salvage cars, or Colorado, or both.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LloydDobler posted:

They're very strict about that for salvage vehicles, normally they wouldn't even issue me the second one but they see it's obviously not my mistake.

Phew. I always sweat getting a very strict or mean or pissed off DMV employee that's gonna shut me down instead of being reasonable.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LOL DMV right?

So I got the slowest employee ever, made me sit there 45 minutes while she read my paperwork, and then pointed out that since my dad's not a dealer anymore, he can't sign the title over to me without registering the car to himself first. This is the first car we've done since he quit being a dealer so we were just running it the same way we always did. So that leaves me with one option: pray that Oregon will accept a certified VIN inspection from CO, or we have to drive or ship the car back to Oregon for a VIN inspection in person. Either way, we have to title it there and pay all those fees, then he can sell it to me and I can title it here. That or we get them to agree to inspect it on skype or something.

But knowing bureaucracy, I'm forced to do a road trip and spend a couple hundred more bucks. Ugh. It's never easy. I do think I'm done with salvage auction cars in Colorado.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How do they know your dad is no longer a dealer?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

They asked and I told them. They'd need his dealer license number and there isn't one to give them. I mean, I hate the DMV but I can't straight up lie to them. Too easy to get caught.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Lol and rage. Bought a brand new car from another state and I guess new titles don't show price I paid cash and went to small town county clerk and they wouldn't issue title/plate without something showing price paid I was like the price I put down is completely reasonable for a new car let me give you this $2k and the county clerk who just had a sex scandal was like I'm late for my rotary meeting. I batted my eyelashes enough after he left that one of the girls just issued the title and plate.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oh, I forgot the best part. They charged me the sales tax when I got the temp tag to get it inspected. After they rejected my title transfer I asked for a refund on the tax paid. They refused. I pointed out that they're telling me I can't buy the car but took tax on the purchase of the car. I actually said "which is it? Can I buy the car or not? Either give me a title or give me my sales tax back." The lady just sat there shrugging, saying her manager said they can't refund the tax.

In the end, this is where having 50 states with varying laws is a let down. I have a copy of a Pennsylvania title from another car in my files, and the second reassignment specifically says "second reassignment by a person/dealer/business". The california salvage title for this car says "second reassignment" and nothing else. Only my Colorado title says "Second reassignment - THIS SECTION MAY ONLY BE COMPLETED BY A LICENSED DEALER". So it appears that it's perfectly legal to skip title on cars from other states, but not here. So they're applying CO law to an out of state title, which to me is bullshit. But it doesn't change my fate so oh well.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Is your county/area large enough to have multiple DMV's? If this happened to me I'd have immediate thoughts of coming back on a different day, or heading right to a different DMV to roll the dice with another attendant.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alternatively, if there is still room for title transfers, could you give a few hundred $$$ to a local car lot/small dealer to take possession of it to get the title right, then get it back to you? It'd make a really gnarly carfax history, but it's salvage anyway...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've definitely thought about hitting up another DMV just to make sure it's not one clerk being pedantic. Scared of them trying to punish me for it in some way.

I did some research and found that Oregon does accept out of state VIN inspections if the car is not currently in state, so the simplest thing is to mail the docs to my dad and title it in Oregon in my dad's name, then just have him sell it to me again directly. I think we'll just do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Every time I go to the RMV, no matter how mundane and surefire the task, I always fear somehow, the clerk will find some problem with my paperwork. I'll never be able to relax.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Dad took the paperwork to the Oregon DMV and they accepted it all. New title forthcoming in a month or so. They no longer expedite which sucks. But at least there will be no more hassles.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 8, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Don't jinx yourself...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Dad got the Oregon title on June 5, almost exactly a month after I sent him the paperwork, so he sent it to me. I got it last Friday, so all I had to do was take it in and get plates, which I did Tuesday. So we're done and it's all legal and legit. Except I still had this new bumper sitting in the garage waiting to replace the torn one, and a stubborn high schooler never in the mood to change it. Well tonight that changed. With the promise she could drive it, we set to work.

She's better at getting the bottom screws than I am.

Removed spoiler, and foglights.

Bottom screws going back in.

Last but not least, the front plate. Required in Colorado, but really only for parking.

This ad always cracked me up - Here is car!

So we recreated it. Here is car!

We then cleaned muddy footprints out of the driver's footwell and then installed the floor mats I picked up from the junkyard a month ago. And with that we took it to a large empty church parking lot and she got the feel for the controls and throttle and we generally had a good time. Constant reminders to look behind her before backing up eventually turned into muscle memory. Then back home for noodles and TV.

Aside from stage 0 belt, fluid and filter changes, this car (and thread) is now done. I'll use it to keep miles off my R and pick her up in it so she can practice driving back and forth to her mom's, and school. But first she has to pass the tests and get the permit. Shouldn't be too hard as she ended the year with straight A's as promised.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 16, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

This ad always cracked me up - Here is car!

So we recreated it. Here is car!

:golfclap:

Car came out really nice. I'm still amazed that it got written off with that damage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy crap, that car looks really good for the age/spend. That's a great find.

I hope she likes it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's cool that she still gets into working on stuff with you. Good habit to have your kids into, fixing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Car looks great!

• Locked thread