Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It got totaled over that?! How much do those things go for these days? :stare:

LloydDobler posted:

You know, I've always been kind of a grumpy firm believer that your first car should be a total piece of crap, for the crisis management skills that it can build. Yet here I am, getting her a really fantastic car for her first ride. She's such a good kid that I have a hard time not spoiling her. First time I had a car this nice I was 26 years old.

I don't think I've ever had a car that nice.

Look at it this way - Volvo has always been known for building incredibly safe cars. So if something does go wrong and she winds up in an accident.. she'll be in a lot better shape than she would have vs my first car (a 1980 F-150.. what crumple zones? what are airbags? what are pretensioners?)

Learning crisis management skills is valuable, but I would place "safe vehicle" higher on the list. And, well, if she decides she doesn't like it, just tell me how much you want for it and where to meet you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

This car was estimated to be $3173 to repair, and if you replace the headlight, grille, bumper cover, and broken plastic parts and then add labor it definitely would hit that. They paid the owner $8460, in the Bay Area.

I can definitely see that at (or well past) 3k if a body shop did everything, but.... still, sent the car to salvage, payout of ~8400, for $3200 in damage? I know the bay area is crazy, but I didn't think they were quite that crazy. To me, that looks like a new radiator support, giving the bumper cover, hood, and fender some love, and if the body shop is ethical, a couple of new pieces behind the bumper. Plus a headlight. And that's doing it "right". I'd just hammer what I could roughly back into original positions, and hit junkyards for the rest.

That wound up being one hell of a deal for you though. I'm still sitting here going "WTF?" about it being totaled over damage that adds up to less than 50% of its value. Unless they adjusted the repair cost for real world value vs California value.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 24, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

This ad always cracked me up - Here is car!

So we recreated it. Here is car!

:golfclap:

Car came out really nice. I'm still amazed that it got written off with that damage.

• Locked thread