Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: UPDATE: The album is called Humanz and it comes out 28 April! Scroll to the second post of this thread for details :siren:

Since Gorillaz last put out an album, frontman and musical genius Damon Albarn has released, amongst other projects, a solo album and a new Blur album — after a 12 year hiatus for that band — but now he's coming back with the long-awaited fourth phase of the fantastic Gorillaz side project!

What are these phases? Just a cute, offical way of organising all the periods of productivity (and the "plot") for Gorillaz:

• Phase 1 - Celebrity Take Down included the album Gorillaz, the b-side collection G-Sides, and the singles Clint Eastwood, 19-2000, Tomorrow Comes Today and Rock the House.
  • Phase 2 - Slowboat to Hades included the album Demon Days, the b-side/remix collection D-Sides, and the singles Feel Good Inc., D.A.R.E, Dirty Harry and Kids With Guns/El Mañana.
  • Phase 3 - Escape to Plastic Beach included the mainstream album Plastic Beach and the weird iPad-created side album The Fall, as well as the singles Stylo, Superfast Jellyfish, On Melancholy Hill, Rhinestone Eyes, Doncamatic, Revolving Doors/Amarillo and DoYaThing.

If you're an autist (or a 13 year old) who cares about the band's "plot" and other fictional details, go read the wiki page or that book they published I guess. It's the music that matters.

(image by Reddit user Delold)

Phase 4 is imminent. The album has finished recording, the track names and collaborators have leaked (see below) and there's very strong rumours of a secret gig this week in London. There's surely an announcement right around the corner.

On the eve of President Trump's inauguration we were treated to one of the upcoming tracks, Hallelujah Money. But in just the last week, a deluge of new information has leaked about the album.

The leaks:

1. Somebody found a list of new tracks registered under the name Gorillaz on the PPL Repertoire Search database. This included info on the collaborators for each track:

There are 26 tracks in total but who can say if they'll all be on the album?

2. A couple of days later, somebody on Reddit decided to search these track names online and found several Vimeo uploads corresponding to track names, which had been put up by a UK video artist. They were password protected, but it didn't take long for people to guess the super secure password of "2017". The videos were demos of stage visuals and had either full or partial versions of five new songs. They have since been taken down from Vimeo but they're still quite easy to find online. Go ahead if you want. And yes, they're the real deal — Damon's voice is distinct on each one, and the collaborators are identifiable to match the leaked track details.

3. In the last few days, Gorillaz have been posting tiny "snaps" on Snapchat, of bits and pieces of songs from the studio. Each snippet is accompanied by a countdown timer, but in each one the countdown has been counting from a random number so there's no discernible pattern. But it's still a good way to hear bits of other new songs.

Learn more about the leaks here or Reddit (if you dare)

So now we wait, and it probably won't be long. In fact I'm betting there'll be at the very least a new single this Friday or Saturday, and probably full details of the album as well. Hell, they may even just release the whole thing at once as a surprise.

I also have 90% confidence that some sort of secret gig is happening in London on the 23rd or 24th of March (this week!). The band members and stage crew have been posting tweets and Instagrams hinting that they're rehearsing hard — and lately, various collaborators have been tweeting that they've arrived in London for some mysterious purpose. Some loser also posted his story on Reddit about running into Damon Albarn, who said there would be a secret gig in March. While that story was unverified, there was at least a photo of the guy with Damon. And finally, this Thursday is Damon's birthday, if that counts for anything.

I GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT SOON, GUYS!

edit: I forgot to mention stuff on the art front. There's been a pretty steady flow of new artwork by Jamie Hewlett via the official instagram since last year. It's really been ramping up in the last few months.

There's also the upcoming Gorillaz-curated music festival Demon Dayz on the 10th of June. But I don't think the album release is that far away.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
ALBUM INFORMATION

Humanz - Released 28 April 2017

Tracklist (linked songs are on Youtube)

1. Intro: I Switched My Robot Off
2. Ascension (feat. Vince Staples)
3. Strobelite (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Saturnz Barz (feat. Popcaan)
5. Momentz (feat. De La Soul)
6. Interlude: The Non-conformist Oath
7. Submission (feat. Danny Brown & Kelela)
8. Charger (feat. Grace Jones)
9. Interlude: Elevator Going Up
10. Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.)
11. Busted and Blue
12. Interlude: Talk Radio
13. Carnival (feat. Anthony Hamilton)
14. Let Me Out (feat. Mavis Staples & Pusha T)
15. Interlude: Penthouse
16. Sex Murder Party (feat. Jamie Principle & Zebra Katz)
17. She's My Collar (feat. Kali Uchis)
18. Interlude: The Elephant
19. Halleujah Money (feat. Benjamin Clementine)
20. We Got The Power (feat. Jehnny Beth)

Bonus disc (Special Edition)

1. Interlude: New World
2. The Apprentice (feat. Rag‘n’Bone Man, Zebra Katz & RAY BLK)
3. Halfway To The Halfway House (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Out Of Body (feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz & Imani Vonshà)
5. Ticker Tape (feat. Carly Simon & Kali Uchis)
6. Circle Of Friendz (feat. Brandon Markell Holmes)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 24, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The last time I was so excited for an album was probably QOTSA's Like Clockwork. Gorillaz albums are always a big treat when they come back and the songs on this one already sound completely insane and unlike anything on the previous two. I will say though that Busted And Blue feels like it could have been on Demon Days and Andromeda on Plastic Beach. Just the clips from the 4 or 5 new ones seem like the last two albums were put in a blender with some unknown substance.

Someone had their poo poo on Youtube DMC'd with the copyright saying "Robotz" so maybe that's the new album name.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
drat I'm excited too. Of the 5 leaked songs I only listened to Saturnz Barz which was pretty rad and I'm getting my kicks reading people on Reddit talk about the others and trying to imagine how good they'll be (answer: SUPER GOOD)

The fact that this album could have like 19 songs (if all the leaked tracks are used, and not counting the interludes) makes me so happy. That's so much Gorillaz goodness to make up for the long hiatus :h:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: BBC Radio 1 just announced they'll debut the new single (with Damon there to introduce it) at 7:30 pm tomorrow (UK time)!

That's 6:30am for Syd/Mel, 12:30pm for US west coast and 3:30pm for US east coast

Edit: tweet confirmation:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcr1/status/844651173034516480

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 22, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: BBC Radio 1 just announced they'll debut the new single (with Damon there to introduce it) at 7:30 pm tomorrow (UK time)!

That's 6:30am for Syd/Mel, 12:30pm for US west coast and 3:30pm for US east coast

Edit: tweet confirmation:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcr1/status/844651173034516480

:getin:

So hyped for this.

So, who else is going to the Demon Dayz festival?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Yvonmukluk posted:

:getin:

So hyped for this.

So, who else is going to the Demon Dayz festival?

I wish! Seeing Gorillaz live is a lifetime wish thing for me and I hate myself for missing my chance in 2010. I did see Blur when they came to Australia in 2015 though, that was like a dream come true after absolutely loving the band for like 18 years at that point (gently caress I feel old :/)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I have tickets for Demon Dayz and I resisted listening to the leaks. So excited for this, especially after the Plastic Beach gig I was supposed to go to was cancelled.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Lord i am so excited

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Ah, England, where we still premier tracks on the radio

E: I'm not trolling (well, for the most part). I just hate that I'll have to listen to a bunch of garbage on a rip to hear the track itself tomorrow :-\

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Name Grover posted:

Ah, England, where we still premier tracks on the radio

E: I'm not trolling (well, for the most part). I just hate that I'll have to listen to a bunch of garbage on a rip to hear the track itself tomorrow :-\

It'll probably go up on Youtube very soon after

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
One would think/hope so.

I'm excited, albeit a bit anxious. Damon Alburn has earned the benefit of the doubt, but if we're going to consider "Hallelujah Money" the first single, it's ... fine, but it doesn't hold a candle to even "Stylo," mmmmmmmuch less "Feel Good, Inc." or "Clint Eastwood," both of which I have no hesitation in deeming two of the best singles across any genre of the century thus far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hallejujah Money did absolutely nothing for me but the 4 snippets of the other songs I heard were extremely cool.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Hallelujah Money is dope and also not a single.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you guys are jonesing for some stuff to listen to while we wait for the new single, don't neglect the b-side catalogue!

D-Sides in particular is incredible. It may well be the second best Gorillaz record after Demon Days.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/gorillaz/status/844833241643180032

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/jack_hudson/status/844947528646832128

:dance:

Judoon Platoon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

One would think/hope so.

I'm excited, albeit a bit anxious. Damon Alburn has earned the benefit of the doubt, but if we're going to consider "Hallelujah Money" the first single, it's ... fine, but it doesn't hold a candle to even "Stylo," mmmmmmmuch less "Feel Good, Inc." or "Clint Eastwood," both of which I have no hesitation in deeming two of the best singles across any genre of the century thus far.

Clint Eastwood wasn't the first single off that album

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gorillaz, Humanz, 4/28/17

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
From Hewlett's Instagram

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Clint Eastwood wasn't the first single off that album

"Tomorrow Comes Today" was part of an EP w/ the same name that came out a few months prior to the s/t LP, but whatever, semantics

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's 4 songs people!!!!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/gorillaz/status/844989049886707712

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Four singles today, and they're all leaked if you know where to look

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They're going up on the Gorillaz YouTube page.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I just listened to them all and I think theryre all bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good poo poo.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

there will never be another Demon Days :negative:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

net cafe scandal posted:

We already have Demon Days, friend. :)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The two that just played on the radio are pretty terrible. Bring back live drums please

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://pitchfork.com/news/72365-gorillaz-reveal-new-album-humanz-details-cover-art-massive-tracklist/

"There are 14 tracks on the regular edition, with five more on the deluxe. A Super Deluxe Vinyl Box Set will also contain each of the 14 regular edition tracks on its own piece of vinyl, backed by an alternate version. (Yes, that means it's a 14-disc box set.)"

Humanz:

01 Ascension feat. Vince Staples
02 Strobelite feat. Peven Everett
03 Saturnz Barz feat. Popcaan
04 Momentz feat. De La Soul
05 Submission feat. Danny Brown and Kelela
06 Charger feat. Grace Jones
07 Andromeda feat. D.R.A.M.
08 Busted and Blue
09 Carnival feat. Anthony Hamilton
10 Let Me Out feat. Mavis Staples and Pusha T
11 Sex Murder Party feat. Jamie Principle and Zebra Katz
12 She’s My Collar feat. Kali Uchis
13 Hallelujah Money feat. Benjamin Clementine
14 We Got The Power feat. Jehnny Beth

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:

15 The Apprentice feat. Rag’n’ Bone Man, Zebra Katz, and RAY BLK
16 Halfway To The Halfway House feat. Peven Everett
17 Out Of Body feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz, and Imani Vonshà
18 Ticker Tape feat. Carly Simon and Kali Uchis
19 Circle Of Friendz feat. Brandon Markell Holmes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh that may be the "list of songs" not the tracklist. Damon said on radio the deluxe edition would be 26 tracks. It's probably all the interludes that are missing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

so just listen to Demon Days on repeat, jesus. why on earth would you want the same album ad infinitum

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My god.. somebody stop these lunatics

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Videos:

Gorillaz - Saturnz Barz (Spirit House) 360

Gorillaz - Saturnz Barz (Spirit House)

Gorillaz - We've Got The Power (Art Track)

Gorillaz - Ascension (Art Track)

Gorillaz - Andromeda (Art Track)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So after watching the Saturnz Barz video I guess the budget they had this time was around 1/10th that of the last two phases.

e: Is the website still just the Melancholy Hill video for everyone else? The link says pre-order and stream, drat it.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2017

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yea.. the song writing budget must be quite small as well.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The four tracks are on Spotify, too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like all of them. :colbert:

Steve2911 posted:

So after watching the Saturnz Barz video I guess the budget they had this time was around 1/10th that of the last two phases.

e: Is the website still just the Melancholy Hill video for everyone else? The link says pre-order and stream, drat it.
Or they're stretching out the budget more for extra videos. Don't want to run out of money and leave a major video unfinished like what happened for Rhinestone Eyes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://store.warnermusic.com.au/collections/gorillaz/products/humanz-special-edition-2-cd-set

The real tracklisting:

1. Intro: I Switched My Robot Off
2. Ascension (feat. Vince Staples)
3. Strobelite (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Saturnz Barz (feat. Popcaan)
5. Momentz (feat. De La Soul)
6. Interlude: The Non-conformist Oath
7. Submission (feat. Danny Brown & Kelela)
8. Charger (feat. Grace Jones)
9. Interlude: Elevator Going Up
10. Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.)
11. Busted and Blue
12. Interlude: Talk Radio
13. Carnival (feat. Anthony Hamilton)
14. Let Me Out (feat. Mavis Staples & Pusha T)
15. Interlude: Penthouse
16. Sex Murder Party (feat. Jamie Principle & Zebra Katz)
17. She's My Collar (feat. Kali Uchis)
18. Interlude: The Elephant
19. Halleujah Money (feat. Benjamin Clementine)
20. We Got The Power (feat. Jehnny Beth)

Bonus tracks on Special Edition CD

1. Interlude: New World
2. The Apprentice (feat. Rag‘n’Bone Man, Zebra Katz & RAY BLK)
3. Halfway To The Halfway House (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Out Of Body (feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz & Imani Vonshà)
5. Ticker Tape (feat. Carly Simon & Kali Uchis)
6. Circle Of Friendz (feat. Brandon Markell Holmes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I enjoyed all four of the new songs :) maybe I'm just easy to please but they're all pretty nice
The video's kinda dumb, but like, who cares?