Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
with love to an ex rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

scary ghost dog posted:

with love to an ex rules
:yeah:

being a gorillaz fan fuckin owns we have been FEASTING for years now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

with love to an ex rules

It's so good that it shouldn't be relegated to "extra track" status

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's so good that it shouldn't be relegated to "extra track" status

the extra tracks are better than the main tracks, which is a gorillaz staple.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What counts as an "extra" track here? The deluxe version has no indication of what's a deluxe track and what's not. (And AFAIK there's no non-deluxe version...)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

stev posted:

What counts as an "extra" track here? The deluxe version has no indication of what's a deluxe track and what's not. (And AFAIK there's no non-deluxe version...)

we’ll find out once i get my almanac in a month but i think its every track after momentary bliss

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I agree that Opium is awesome and should have been the closer. MLS is dope

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

I agree that Opium is awesome and should have been the closer. MLS is dope

mls is insane

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I really wish the name and cover art on this ish were better lol. But Overall I have to hand it to 2D, Murdoc, Russell and Noodle for putting in some of their best work since the good old days.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

stev posted:

CDwise, there is a standard edition that ends with Momentary Bliss

From what I’ve seen of unboxings online, the deluxe edition has a second CD with the other 6 tracks on it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

CDwise, there is a standard edition that ends with Momentary Bliss

From what I’ve seen of unboxings online, the deluxe edition has a second CD with the other 6 tracks on it

Fair enough! I hope that means we'll get videos of the remaining three tracks pre-Momentary Bliss. I assumed they'd just end at Beck but that wouldn't make sense if there's only a couple left.

And that explains why most of the songs after it feel like M-sides. They have a distinctly different feel the same way the second disc of Humanz did.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw on reddit that the next two videos will be Pagans and Lost Chord

Also I saw an interview with Damon where he said they’re doing Season 2 next year followed by a movie with Netflix which is an hour long with music. They’re looking at scripts for it now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I saw on reddit that the next two videos will be Pagans and Lost Chord

Also I saw an interview with Damon where he said they’re doing Season 2 next year followed by a movie with Netflix which is an hour long with music. They’re looking at scripts for it now.

this is the first time ever that i actually believe the movie is being made lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

scary ghost dog posted:

this is the first time ever that i actually believe the movie is being made lol

I'll believe it when we see a trailer.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

stev posted:

I'll believe it when we see a trailer.

yep already regretting making such a definitive statement of faith

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I mean, they had fully finished scripts and a contract signed for a Humanz TV show that never ended up getting made. This feels far earlier in the process than that, so I'm gonna hedge my bets.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Speaking as someone who loves Humanz and The Now Now this is my favorite thing from them since Plastic Beach

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got my vinyl collection and boy is it really loving well put together and comes with a lot of real dope art

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asema posted:

I just got my vinyl collection and boy is it really loving well put together and comes with a lot of real dope art

Same, it's loving gorgeous. Way nicer than I was expecting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Opium’s definitely becoming my favorite track from this. There’s just something about how well the chorus rolls that clicks for me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

album good

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
With Love to an Ex :swoon:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Album rules, hope the future of Gorillaz is way more like this and way less like Now Now. I think Momentary Bliss is the only track I don’t like overall.

I feel like if this is what Humanz was it would’ve been equally collab-heavy but everyone would have loved it. It’s the kind of appeasement I’m actually pretty okay with.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Are you guys buying it from a store, or are they being delivered? I don't even have a shipping notice for my preorder from Warner yet, and no word on a delay or anything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's really interesting to see which tracks are people's favorites. Pink Phantom is immediately my favorite, because I'm gay as hell and a sucker for Elton John. But the whole album is just so good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nothing ended up topping Momentary Bliss for me. It's such a banger. I don't think there's a single bad track on the main album - the deluxe tracks really haven't grabbed me though. I wasn't huge on Friday 13th at first but it's grown on me, especially in the context of the album.

Having reflected on it though I don't think it comes close to Plastic Beach for me overall. It feels more like a collection of good songs than a cohesive album (which it is, obviously). Still, it blows everything they've done since 2010 out of the water.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 26, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All this lacks from Plastic Beach is some kind of loose unifying theme but it doesn’t really need it, it’s just so good

In an ideal world I’d move Opium off the bonus disc onto the album proper as a final track. But still, it’s great.

Bring on season 2 :swoon:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here’s a question by the way

Who’s the most underused guest artist on any Gorillaz song? I would have to say Neneh Cherry on Kids With Guns. I label the songs in iTunes without the guest artists, so I didn’t even realise she was on that track until like last year

And I like Neneh Cherry :smith:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Who’s the most underused guest artist on any Gorillaz song? I would have to say Neneh Cherry on Kids With Guns. I label the songs in iTunes without the guest artists, so I didn’t even realise she was on that track until like last year

Tina Weymouth only doing backing vocals on 19-2000 seems pretty egregious to me. I mean the song still rips and the bass is great but if you've got Tina Weymouth and she isn't playing bass on at least one of your tracks you have hosed up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

grace jones

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

St Vincent is definitely up there

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

no broccoli please posted:

Are you guys buying it from a store, or are they being delivered? I don't even have a shipping notice for my preorder from Warner yet, and no word on a delay or anything.

I did Amazon and it only got here today, despite them saying the 23rd on their site.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

JPEGMAFIA and CHAI is a crazy combination that seems aimed to please me specifically (and the lovely people who read Pitchfork more generally), I love the vibe of that song. It’s more positive than Peggy usually gets and more low key than CHAI usually is but the Gorillaz are able to tie it all together.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

extending "Désolé" is the best thing the album did, I really love that song but I'm really into all the album additions

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

extending "Désolé" is the best thing the album did, I really love that song but I'm really into all the album additions

It's my least favorite track on the album, which is saying something, since it's still a really good song

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s insane how good Opium is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It’s insane how good Opium is

yep

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only thing that irritates me about Opium is that there isn’t one more chorus for it to fade out on

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i just found this guy's channel, he has a bunch of these. this one in particular i love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjBOxCDE0KM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Video for Valley of the Pagans came out today.

It's uh.......mostly just GTA 5 footage. They did something different for this one and it....sucks. Lmao, song still rules though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4Lwt5-ZM0