Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Anonymous John posted:

The Del verse is iconic, wouldn't do the song justice otherwise.

Almost didn't happen. In short, last minute Dan asked Del to make a new verse when he was done in the studio working on other things. Del just wanted to go home but wrote and recorded the verse because he knew Jamie Hewlett was involved and likes Tank Girl. Pretty amazing how something so iconic was written so quickly and I always figured he was more heavily involved but apparently he knew very little about the story and the project all together.

The Gorillaz part comes in around 3 minutes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq2qSq6NpNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Gorillaz were massive for me in middle school (I scanned the Bonesy guy from the self-titled booklet, traced over in MSPaint and used Gorillaz art for a science project in 7th grade. If I remember right he was hitting a ball up with his fist to demonstrate gravity), then The Cure became massive for me in high school but Strange Timez is one of my least favorite Song Machine songs.

Plastic Beach was really the last album I loved and captured the spirit of the band as I remember it. That was feature heavy but it worked and the overall theme and story was fun and made the album interesting. Humanz does nothing for me and I like a few of the Song Machine songs but overall just lacks the original spirit that I loved about Gorillaz. I think Damon said he wanted a virtual band originally to escape the ideas of celebrity and expectation from being the star in Blur and now it just seems like a vehicle for celebrity features so it just feels like it goes against the original idea and what made it special.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

dont need fairweather fans coming in the gorillaz thread trying to tell me some of their music isnt good. please head back to the nu metal thread or wherever you post

just lol if you listen to anything by gorillaz but the bong rip at the beginnign of that one track

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I mentioned them a while back but when I was at my parents house over the holidays I actually found that Gorillaz science assignment poster I made. This was 2001 in 7th grade. Scanned from the booklet and cleaned up in paint. I don't remember how I did Noodle. It's the scene from Clint Eastwood but I must have paused the VHS I recorded the music video and drew it since it's a little wonky.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Crain posted:

Why does Japan always get special hidden tracks? It's a "thing" across the industry.

It's to encourage people in Japan to not import CDs because it's cheaper so they put exclusive tracks.