Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

robot roll call posted:

Busted and Blue is so good

I'm looking forward to hearing this one. People are saying it's the El Mañana/Empire Ants of the album :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah yes, the spitting image of noted Japanese-American octogenarian actor George Takei:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I'm seeing double here! Four George Takeis!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I ordered the deluxe CD which won't arrive til next week but in the interim I got a free Spotify premium trial and downloaded the album to my phone. Only 4 hours until I finish work and get on a bus trip to Sydney, once onboard I can zone out and listen for the first time :)

I'm going to leave the 5 bonus tracks until my cd copy arrives though. Something to look forward to that way. I'm hearing they're amazing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The album is great! Lots of variety, flows well, never dull.

The only track that didn't stand out immediately was Sex Murder Party.

I cannot wait to hear the bonus tracks when I get my cd copy :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
loving hell the album is great. Strobelite is so catchy!!!

Also I can see Momentz being the next single and goddamn huge. Like the next Feel Good Inc for the band.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 28, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

nigga crab pollock posted:

I haven't listened to the album in its entirety but it's just... I just don't get the hype. I just can't get into any of the singles.

I didn't like plastic beach but I still thought it was well done, it was just a taste thing. I liked the singles, even. But it grew on me quite a bit.

If it wasn't for Damon Albarn's voice tho I wouldn't think it's Gorillaz. Where are they. The singles are directionless and feature heavy. the press I've read describes it as 'more about the features artists' and the album is literally just called humans.

idk.

Ask yourself this: are you disappointed in the album, or are you just disappointing as a person in general?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sorry for your loss. The rest of us will be over here, enjoying the hell out of this album.

Top 5 tracks for everyone? Here's mine, keeping in mind that I still haven't heard the bonus ones:

1. Submission
2. Andromeda
3. Momentz (I'm gonna need a fresh of breath air after that one!)
4. Strobelite
5. (really hard to decide) She's My Collar or Busted And Blue

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Submission has to be my fav track on this album. Also Danny brown goes hard. Those lyrics man :smith:

:hfive:

The chorus wailing in the background of this kinda spooks me out though :ohdear:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys are weird. The first time I heard Momentz I immediately thought it was genius. And I'm generally more into the introspective Gorillaz songs like El Mañana and Empire Ants.

It's catchy and quirky and a real banger.

Momentz is to this album as Frankie Sinatra is to the second Avalanches album.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
6 or 7 full album listens later, Sex Murder Party is still the only track that makes me think "Wait, what exactly were you going for here?"

That song feels so unfinished and mish-mash and empty.

My deluxe cd should arrive today, I'm pumped for bonus tracks (and putting it all together in iTunes as one complete album) :neckbeard:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meanwhile, Submission blows me away time and time again. Definitely going to end up in my top 5 Gorillaz songs despite no Damon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my physical copy!

These bonus tracks :popeye:

Out Of Body is so weird!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Strobelite is even funkier live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4itT6YrHfQ :swoon:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like all of the concern trolls who all of a sudden realised that Gorillaz is...gasp...political! Like, did they not listen to Dirty Harry (or the rest of Demon Days)? Or did they turn it off once they heard rap?

The people most concerned probably weren't pooping in the big boy toilet yet when Demon Days came out

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rhinestone Eyes was going to be the video. Jamie Hewlett released the animatic for it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Posting on my phone so can't give all the details, but new song database listings show we are getting b-sides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comments/69qmvl/here_is_the_list_of_new_gorillaz_songs_registered/

They are probably going to be on that 14 record vinyl set as all the b-sides to each song. Some are alt versions but some are entirely new songs by the look of it!

Anyway check on Reddit at the moment for more info.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve2911 posted:

Are there any theories/confirmed canon as to what each interlude/track means in context? At times I feel like the album's telling a clear narrative with the elevator structure but I'm struggling to work out how most of it fits.

Try reddit

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really hope there's a compilation of all this extra stuff

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I missed it and would love to know if there's an archive too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok I found a place where you can watch the footage. For :filez: reasons I won't link it but it's easy to find, just look on the Gorillaz subreddit in the last couple days, in threads where people are asking where they can watch a recording of the stream.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idk but the link I found is definitely still working (and HD)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool! I found a video of it already:

https://youtu.be/8FnyAZBuSvg

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rumours and interviews have suggested Damon is recording a sequel to Humanz that will be considered part of phase 4 still. Apparently he's already recorded a new song called Hollywood that has Snoop Dogg on it.

I'm stoked :) We are blessed that Damon Albarn is back into a really productive mode again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduPFTLf_Ys

New song "Hollywood" featuring Snoop Dogg just debuted in Chile, here's a live recording. It's great! Rumour is the single drops this Friday. Album is also almost finished.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Two new songs apparently got leaked early by a media outlet, one called Humility and the other called Lake Zurich.

I didn't hear them, but Gorillaz reddit is discussing them. Humility is apprently reminiscent of Ghost Ship from the Magic Whip.

There's a Gorillaz fan discord easily findable on the Reddit page where the tracks are being shared if you're into that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the first half of Humanz is tight and excellent. It just loses coherence around Carnival and the second half is less consistent in terms of song quality. She's My Collar is the standout of the second half by far.

It's also messy because some of the best songs were saved for the bonus disc.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New album tracklist:

1. Humility (feat. George Benson)
2. Tranz
3. Hollywood (feat. Snoop Dogg & Jamie Principle)
4. Kansas
5. Sorcererz
6. Idaho
7. Lake Zurich
8. Magic City
9. Fire Flies
10. One Percent
11. Souk Eye

Source: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-now-now/1387814084

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a live clip of another new song that has a really cool dark disco vibe:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjf4ZpDgZld/

Damon is singing so much on this new album :h:

Edit:
Oh poo poo they're doing a bunch of new songs live now, videos here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comments/8nx1zb/gorillaz_tranz_live_rock_im_park_n%FCrnberg_010618/

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2018

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still trying to keep my ears as virginal as possible before the album comes out on Friday. It's gonna be a treat to wake up early Friday morning and do the first listen on some streaming app or another, then grab the cd that afternoon.

To date I've only heard the studio versions of Humility, Hollywood and Lake Zurich, and a very early live version of Idaho and a snippet of Tranz live.

Reddit is hyping up Souk Eye as one of the best Gorillaz songs ever so I'm looking forward to that.

Can anyone confirm if there's a new song as good as my personal top 5: El Mañana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Empire Ants, Andromeda and Hong Kong?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really like this album but I just can't get into Magic City. The song hasn't clicked for me yet. Everything else is great though, although One Percent really could have used the extra verse and piano outro from the live version.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ambulance is the best Gorillaz song by Blur

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Demon Days
Parklife
Plastic Beach
The Good the Bad and the Queen
Modern Life is Rubbish
The Magic Whip
The Now Now
Humanz
Everyday Robots
Think Tank
Blur
Gorillaz
The Great Escape
The Fall
Leisure

None of it's bad

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There isn't a song called Pirate Ship, jerks

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lampsacus posted:

my favourite gorillaz memory is being in a flat lounge full of young 20somethings monged on acid. the entire discography was being played in the background and when that voice on m1 a1 starts a guy mines its a small guy in his cup. everybody starts freaking out that there is some small person swimming around in his beer and begs him to help fish the sod out.

And then everybody clapped

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve2911 posted:

So apparently Damon's written another album already.

Huh.

Found the interview, he indeed has another whole Gorillaz album written that he won't record this year. There's also the second Good, Bad, Queen album coming out this year.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Documentary about Gorillaz coming to cinemas worldwide December 16

https://youtu.be/Dx5Ty1FzgvU

It’s directed by Jamie Hewlett’s son.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just came out of the documentary.

It’s good. Very fly on the wall style, no narration or interviews. Just tons of footage from recording and live shows. No full songs live, just snippets but edited really well. Lots of funny bits. Not much on the art/Jamie side of things, almost all the music. No new songs or announcements. Bonus stuff after the credits is another 10 min or so of similar footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

hughesta posted:

What songs do we get to see the making-of? My favorite stuff from the previous docs have been the look into songs being recorded, especially getting to hear early versions of some songs on the PB doc.

Most of Humanz and The Now Now is covered but it’s snippets of recording at best. Like 20 seconds of someone laying down vocals or playing with synthesisers. It has a super loose scrapbook feel.