Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Gorillaz characters are interesting to the same extent as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A fun concept to hang the music on -- and a fun way to string together a glorified collection of music videos and call it a movie -- but I'm not gonna read a book about them or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lake Zurich is the best song on the album. It may be instrumental but it's not like Glitter Freeze at all, it actually has a melody and stuff.

Not to dis Glitter Freeze too much, it's just more interludey. Different kind of track.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First listen: yeah, this is definitely pretty good

Second listen: wow this will never leave my head

Re: video version vs. audio version chat, I think the main difference is the extended intro, and the outro someone else mentioned

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 28, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
*points to thread title*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That verse brings me to tears. And not even kidding. HE REALLY SAYING SOME poo poo MAN

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/fixyourheartsor/status/1430954697003839495?t=FSyoYaAffA3WAOQrfSp5nQ&s=19

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's a great song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Gosh they haven't missed yet. Unless the increasingly small amount of yet-unreleased tracks end up being total stinkers, this is looking like a great album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

I feel like somebody's compared it to The Now Now at one point and I get that, it feels a little Damon-heavy and singer-songwriter-y. But it's also like, way better.

Even the singles are hitting harder. I didn't realize before now that "Skinny Ape" is some kind of death scene? And "Silent Running" still blows me away, it's so drat beautiful, moved me to tears even at this point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like I should clarify that I actually think it's an incredible set of songs and possibly my favorite they've ever done (time will tell). It's not very "album-y" but I have not yet decided how much that actually matters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well those bonus tracks certainly are bonus tracks. They mainly serve as vindication for the finished album -- they would've added sonic variety, but little else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Isn't Miho Hatori (Noodle) all over the first album too? Most obviously on "19-2000"