Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Not sure how I feel about all of these, as any of the bum tracks will probably fit much better with the final record (I'm one of those shitheads who was lukewarm on Plastic Beach when it first came out and progressively kept kicking myself more over the years as I realized how fantastic it really was). Ascension is my clear stand-out, as Vince's bars are just some next-level stuff, one of the best features Gorillaz has done. We Got The Power right after Hallelujah Money makes sense, though it feels too underdeveloped (partially due to its length) for a "we can get through the Trump years" kinda song. Andromeda has some nice beats and Damon sounds great, but I'm not 100% on D.R.A.M.'s feature right now, and while he was what made "(I Know There's Gonna Be) Good Times" so great, I'm not really feeling Popcaan on Saturnz Bars either.

Either way, in five weeks we'll get to hear these in full, so I'm fine waiting and fully expect them to get much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Over time, some of the pieces got stronger but the whole never managed to coalesce. It still feels like an overlong, half-baked dark party playlist. From now on I'm listening to it in edited playlist form - I still really dig Submission and Momentz really grew on me, so I'm not throwing the whole thing away, but I'm done trying to make it work. Plastic Beach was growing on me at this point after its release, and nothing I don't already like is clicking.