Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how this is being funded since there's no album to buy and no tour to get tickets for. I doubt a drip feed of YouTube revenue and streaming fees will be enough to cover the production of a new song and video every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

New track dropped. Looks like it was intended to be a future Song Machine episode but they released it today because Tony Allen passed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

The CD has 10 tracks. That means that season 1 of Song Machine is either going to be 10 songs, or 9 songs plus the Song Machine theme tune.

On the other hand the fact that it’s called Season 1 means they can do this again next year 😻

Or it includes Machine Bitez and we've already had all the tracks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's ok - probably the weakest of the four we've heard so far but it might grow on me. The preview for the next track was much more up my street though.

Shame about the video though. I'm guessing either Covid had a big impact on production or they've already blown their budget.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like that needed to be a minute longer than it was. Really enjoyed it though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao The Now Now and Humanz are great but they aren't 10/10 by any measure. Song Machine so far has been far better.

Really exciting to see that tracklist, but also bummed that they seem to have dropped the episode format, I was enjoying it. Now it's more like a standard album where a small collection of singles are released early. Doubt we'll get many more videos after the album drops either.

Still, can't wait. Shame there's no Tame Impala after all of the rumours though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The album versions of the previous episodes are uncensored which is nice. Desole is the longer version from the video too, and Damon seems to have rerecorded his lines so "contraband" and "land" actually rhyme.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1) Plastic Beach
2) Self titled
3) Song Machine (so far)
4) Demon Days
5) Humanz
6) The Now Now
7) The Fall

All of them have great songs though. The Now Now probably has two or three that are right up there with the best - the rest just didn't click as much for me.

Gorillaz has seven loving albums now. How crazy is that after the waits between albums 2, 3 and 4?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can tell Damon made The Fall by pissing around on his brand new iPad half asleep between shows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I loved this remix, probably more than the song itself.

DoYaThing was also fantastic, and probably one of my favourite Gorillaz videos. It's such a shame it wasn't officially released in any form afterwards - I guess Converse owned the song and had no interest in putting it on streaming services?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hughesta posted:

pretty sure the deluxe songs are intended to be a part of the "Humanz album experience" and were split because the album is long and WB wanted to sell a deluxe edition

Yeah, they flow incredibly well intro each other. It almost feels like an epilogue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Love Melancholy Hill.

There's a manatee.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I legit tear up every time i listen to the cloud of unknowing. yall are monsters fr

I love it too, but I think the Damon version edges it for me, and I'd have preferred if it were used on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EjCbn-S4F0

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 6LACK verses really felt out of place on the first listen. A nice chill track though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crain posted:

On subsequent listens I don't mind 6lack's verses as much. They have a decent flow to them that works within their own segments.

But goddamn do I feel bad for the guy. Dude's 28, got a chance to collab with the Gorillaz, which would be a career boost for most singers and songwriters if not a life goal for some, and who is he paired up against? Elton loving John. A dude who has been in the industry and at the top of his game for almost twice as long as you've been alive.

Alternatively: Dude got to loving collab with Elton John so wins all around.

Yeah they're not bad verses on their own. I think it's the autotune effects that don't really mesh well with the rest of the track.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1. Momentary Bliss
2. Desolé
3. Aries
4. Pink Phantom
5. Pac Man
6. Strange Timez
7. How Far
8. Friday the 13th

I'm not going to read too much into the fact that my top three are the first three released. Momentary Bliss has become one of my all time favourite Gorillaz tracks though, it's so loving good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think it helps that Elton is animated and 6LACK is the only live action thing in the video. I assume Elton wasn't available to be filmed or is isolating, but it's odd to see.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dead Butterflies is really nice, and could probably do well as a single (and I can't remember the last time I said that about a Gorillaz track).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The back third is really Albarn light.

I've only listened to the new tracks in isolation so far. When I get a chance I'll listen to the whole thing through and see how it flows. I like it so far but I feel like the real standout tracks were the early ones.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 23, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now that we've had this I'd take a new Blur album with an actual tour over more Gorillaz next year (although I'll definitely try to get tickets to the London Song Machine show assuming gigs are allowed again by August).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What counts as an "extra" track here? The deluxe version has no indication of what's a deluxe track and what's not. (And AFAIK there's no non-deluxe version...)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

CDwise, there is a standard edition that ends with Momentary Bliss

From what I’ve seen of unboxings online, the deluxe edition has a second CD with the other 6 tracks on it

Fair enough! I hope that means we'll get videos of the remaining three tracks pre-Momentary Bliss. I assumed they'd just end at Beck but that wouldn't make sense if there's only a couple left.

And that explains why most of the songs after it feel like M-sides. They have a distinctly different feel the same way the second disc of Humanz did.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

scary ghost dog posted:

this is the first time ever that i actually believe the movie is being made lol

I'll believe it when we see a trailer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nothing ended up topping Momentary Bliss for me. It's such a banger. I don't think there's a single bad track on the main album - the deluxe tracks really haven't grabbed me though. I wasn't huge on Friday 13th at first but it's grown on me, especially in the context of the album.

Having reflected on it though I don't think it comes close to Plastic Beach for me overall. It feels more like a collection of good songs than a cohesive album (which it is, obviously). Still, it blows everything they've done since 2010 out of the water.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 26, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plastic Beach, cool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Afaik Damon doesn't really understand gaming. Maybe he played GTAV for the first time a few weeks ago and it blew his mind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the video seems to have been taken down. I guess they didn't actually think to check with Rockstar first? You'd think a record label wouldn't make that sort of mistake given that they're the ultimate copywrite abusing monsters of YouTube.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

£15 to stream a VOD of an 80 minute gig for a limited time? Nah Damon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hot drat that's the standard of animation I've come to expect. If a movie ever does happen I want it to look like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EP's out!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plastic Beach
Self Titled
Demon Days
Song Machine 1
Humanz
The Fall
Now Now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plastic Beach really feels like the most cohesive album. Some of the tracks are messy but as a whole it just works for me more than any of the others. It just has a mood that nothing else comes close to.

That and Damon's yet to put out a track better than Empire Ants or Melancholy Hill.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Submission would be a top five track if not for Danny Brown's verse. It just hits you like a truck and feels like it doesn't mesh with the rest of it.

1. Empire Ants
2. Melancholy Hill
3. Hong Kong
4. El Maņana
5. Sound Check (Gravity)

stev fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 29, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It has a couple of great tracks but really it is to Humanz what The Fall is to Plastic Beach.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So are they going to drip feed the album over the next six months or have the dropped the song machine thing?

New song's great either way - which is a relief since I'm not really feeling the title track. None of the future collabs jump out as exciting but I'm keen to see what's what.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The worst era is when they released your favourite album.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple tracks but Silent Running's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyr6lRGssg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Glitter Freeze.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the new tracks well enough but once again front-loading the release with all the best ones has really dampened the release of the album.

I agree with "The Now Now but good" as the overall vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm going to one of the Blur shows in July and I'm sort of hoping they don't just play loads of stuff from the new album.