Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Already listened to a couple of tracks and Andromeda and We've Got The Power are becoming my favourite tracks.

Anyone else who got tickets for the Demon Dayz festival, can we do a goon meet at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Jamie Hewlett turned Murdoc into Liam Gallagher, and I don't know how to feel about that.

I guess he's put the whole blur vs. oasis feud down for good.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dugong posted:

Ticket announcement is at 12pm today. There was a form hidden at the bottom of the page to sign up for the ballot even if you didn't buy the record.

it sucks that I missed out on it...but then again it wouldn't have an amusement park.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Andrew_1985 posted:

You lucky bastard! I am praying I get an email in the next 40 minutes!

Did anyone also get tickets to the Demon Dayz festival?

Yo! Where my demon dayz ticket holders at?

Although I am really pissed off that we NEVER got a conclusion to that Plastic Beach adventure game! :argh:

No mission 3, no reason as to why Plastic Beach is "gone"...and the Evangelist did bugger all. :colbert:

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 24, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I went and bought the Digital Deluxe Album, although I'm wondering if it doesn't come with the booklet like the 2-CD special edition. :ohdear:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

IUG posted:

Did they say what format the digital version comes in? I'm spoiled by NIN and Bandcamp giving out FLAC files.

I just got an e-mail with MP3 files of all the 4 released songs. :smugjones:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The live show gig is supposed to be online right now, where is it?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

AAB posted:

apparently it's coming closer to when the band goes on, which should be around 8.30 GMT.
take this allegedly leaked setlist with a grain of salt as well
code:
https://twitter.com/SiobhanKourtney/status/845352093015789568

why is Azekel circled?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dugong posted:

loving hell that was good. Damon was going crazy, the crowd was loving every song. One song was played twice back to back because he crowd was screaming rewind so loudly. Noel Gallagher turned up.

Set list (I think) was entirety of Humanz, encore, Kid With Guns, Feel Good, Clint, encore, last 3 songs of Demon Days.

Cardboard VR things and commemorative tickets were given out.

So pumped for the album release.

holy poo poo if the album really is that good, it's going to be loving MENTAL in the demon dayz festival! getting really excited now!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

AAB posted:

Video supercut should be up later today or tomorrow as well.

Can anyone confirm if they did an extended "we got the power" or if they played it twice?

There's no way it's only two minutes long, I'm hoping 3 or 4 minutes maybe.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Here's another song! Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dONxX9rifs

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

What's with the honking? Is that just a censored version? Because the Apple Music one's the same...

Yeah, I thought this was a radio edit...I hope there is another version though.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Now here's an Ascension remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNBZYSedvG0

and a We Got The Power remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQduMTc5TR8

and an Andromeda remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1aqS25j5s

and finally a Saturnz Barz remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-3WDCyfio8

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I still think there are plenty of good songs on Plastic Beach, my favourites being Some Kind of Nature, Empire Ants, and the title track. I think Sweepstakes is okay, but I guess it will still be the wild card in the pack for most people.

IUG posted:

It's me, I'm the one who didn't come around on Plastic Beach. So far, it's their least good album, even after The Fall.

Yeah uhh...we don't talk about The Fall...like ever.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Here's Ascension live from the secret London gig a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mdgz8rkxY

This interview is pretty interesting, mainly because the original intent was always for Gorillaz to be its own band since phase one, instead of Damon always having to be on stage. Also Damon talking about making music on the iPad could explain why The Fall sounded naff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcoLgF0Djw

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 7, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
They brought back the interactive Kong Studios via their new iPhone/Android app, can't wait to see what they have in store this time around.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxf40FoA5ys

Here's the Saturnz Barz live video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNspD9f9jkc

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
2D and Murdoc have a live stream conversation in 30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPFbjEVXic

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Same. I'd much rather see an interview with Damon Albarn than listen to one with the random voice actors they get to do the characters, half-improvising off talking points but really having no insight into the band or music

I think the fact that we pretend those cartoon characters are actually part of the band and have a weird ongoing story makes it fun for the fans.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well that was rather short. The 'conversation' felt mostly awkward and the improv was below average at best. The 2D and Murdoc cel-shaded models looked alright, but the face and body rigging was a bit freaky.

To be fair, they kind of explained a bit about the stuff that happened after the Plastic Beach phase...but yeah that's about it.

Anyways, can't wait for the listening party, and gearing up for the Demon Dayz Festival! :toot:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well wasn't the point of Gorillaz was they were meant to be a virtual band in the first place? Damon made the music while Jamie made the visuals and characters coming to life. When the Gorillaz website started out, it was like a gateway for fans to interact with the band, that's what made it fun and unique compared to other bands at the time.

They've been doing this up until Plastic Beach and I guess kind of gave up because the budget was getting too expensive and the hiatus was an issue.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Speaking of Chicago, were the tickets for the OTHER Demon Dayz festival on sale yet?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
MORE REMIXES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3J9XnBbqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gc2A3LQ6tM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiRe4fcSZzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7uuS63CD8

Edit: I just want to add that Purple Disco Machine remix sounds drat GOOD!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 21, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

MasterSitsu posted:

I didn't expect a whole hell of a lot after THE FALL, but... drat. This is the most unlistenable album I've heard since that Lou Reed/Metallica album.

There are a couple of poor tracks, but some of the remixes will probably make up for them.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm still not feeling it with Hallelujah Money, it doesn't help that the guest looks and sounds like a weird George Takei impersonator. Should've just got the real George Takei to do the poetry bits.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

this one was alright, so far they've released some alright tracks and some average ones, but come the day of the album release it should be about decent in general.

it's just all the censored stuff that concerns me and what the album originally turned out to begin with, you can tell from all the edits and buzzing throughout the tracks.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5N_Z256-Q

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dugong posted:

It makes even less sense when you remember it's the closer for the main album :shrug:

:same:

This is certainly not the equivalent to the last track in Demon Days. Hell even Pirate Jet made a better closer track.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I've got the digital deluxe edition but I've yet to get an e-mail saying I can download my album. So when it does finally arrive, I'm gonna have a full listen to every track.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Please tell me I'm not the only one who got the digital download version, I've been waiting for a good few hours and it still hasn't shown up yet.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Not a Children posted:

If you're using gmail, look to see if it got filtered into the promotional header. That's where mine showed up.

Not using gmail, only e-mail I got where pre-order downloads for the 4 tracks a few weeks ago.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
After finally getting my download links and listening to the deluxe edition of the album...it's average. Like really average. I get that it's been seven years since their last good album but even Plastic Beach had more of a distinctive sound than this. Each album or phase has its own special style that shapes it in their own era, and Humanz is no different.

However, there are some songs which actually have a good electro beat to them and some that just sound like a jumbled mess and make me wonder did Damon really think they sounded good enough to be on the album, or where the production crew being rushed to get them done by the release date. Hell, even the intermissions weren't all that interesting, I was hoping they'd give them the same amount of quality as Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head, but they last under a minute and don't add anything to the album, Ben Mendelsohn couldn't really save them.

That being said though, there are still a few good songs that stand out, the ones that do are 'Momentz', 'Charger'*, 'Andromeda', 'Busted and Blue', 'We Got The Power'**, and 'Out of Body', 'the Apprentice' was alright too.

As for Damon censoring any mentions of Trump, the only songs where they definitely mention him are 'Ascension' (directly) and 'Hallelujah Money' (through the poetry lyrics). I'm personally glad there's no blatant political commentary in the album, as it kind of takes you out of the songs and they're not really done in a way that's subtle and not made so obvious. A good example of this is Booty Brown's line in 'Dirty Harry' "the war is over, so said the speaker with a flight suit on" which references Bush and his 'mission accomplished' speech, but that's only briefly mentioned, it's clearly not the point of the song and and the main message is it's anti-war and anti-military, just like with 'Kids With Guns' and how the message in that song is the popularity of firearms and how they attract people who don't understand how dangerous they are.

As a Gorillaz fan for 7 years now, this album really could've been better, and I can only appreciate it with the deluxe tracks, otherwise the standard album isn't all that great.

From the looks of things, there seems to be a few good songs mixed in with a bunch of tracks that should've been B-sides at best. I can't say this is up there with Demon Days or Plastic Beach, but apparently Damon still has plenty more songs to produce so hopefully they'll make up for this.

5/10

*Okay maybe this song may not stand out for some people, but there's a part of me that personally likes it and finds it funny for some reason.

**I know the album version sucks because it's not longer and more pumping and kicking like the live version, and I know Anthony Fantano hates this, but believe me when you start hearing this in the Demon Dayz festival, you WILL dig this!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 5, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yeah that post is pretty weird, although I do agree that Jenny Beth was a strange inclusion in 'We Got The Power', the electro beat and loud pumping stuff sounds nice and all but I didn't think she really fit in with the composition, also apparently Noel Gallagher is featured in the chorus, but I found it hard trying to separate the voices from him and Damon, they're just mashed together.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 5, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Avril Lavigne posted:

Almost as if being blended together and unified as one despite differences is more important than being distinctly separate.

I'd like it if they did like a stereo trick and have Damon singing on one speaker and Noel singing on the other, but I'd love it if they done a duet like the last time they did.

Hug Every Cat posted:

I've been excited for Humanz and I was not disappointed at all. I think for me personally, it does stand with Demon Days(my other favourite) as an album I can listen to all the way through and enjoy. I think my favourites are Saturnz Barz, Charger, Momentz, Sex Murder Party, and Out of Body. It's actually hard for me to pick a non-favourite. I'm not as into Andromeda and We Got The Power as most of you but a few more listens and they are growing on me.

I'd like to judge songs on how well they hold up after some time. Like when I listened to DoYaThing, I thought it was just weird at first and didn't really have that Gorillaz feel to it, then after a few listens and finding it again months later, it grew on me and I got into how jumpy and funky it was. Also with Plastic Beach, I just listened to a few songs every now and again and they sounded great and held up years later.

I know I judged Humanz after listening to it a couple of times just now, but the real question I should be asking is does it still hold up after say a year from now? I don't think it will really...but who knows?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 6, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So I just went and got a ticket for the O2 gig, and now I've got that and the Demon Dayz festival to look forward to.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AMAZING! I was just about 3 rows back from the centre front row and everyone went loving MENTAL when Damon and the band kicked off! He even went right up to the crowd twice and then Jenny crowd-surfed a bit (even though I don't think that's allowed anymore).

It was great to hear Tomorrow Comes Today live again, though I wish they'd play M1A1 too. I was VERY surprised they played Out of Body live, that's one of my fav songs on the album and it was funky and all. When they went and played Dare and Momentz, the whole crowd was jumping like crazy, especially when Bootie Brown showed up out of nowhere for Dirty Harry!

I'm a little bit annoyed they played Sex Murder Party although I guess they made it slightly better live, still doesn't save it from being their worst song, also I bet they'd play Hallelujah Money but surprisingly they didn't.

Bit disappointed they didn't bring back Del for Clint Eastwood again, but they made up for it with most of the setlist.
-
As for the other acts, I was a bit late to see De La Soul's act but they knew how to work the crowd and played some good tracks, loved them for it.

Kilo Kish was the first act I saw that day and umm...well I guess Damon's daughter probably liked it, I guess it's hard to explain her 'act' because it was half singing and half performance art, and if that IS her gimmick then okay but still...eh.

I will not understand why Kano for some reason gets a headline act, this does not make sense to me. The other headliners obviously did more collabs with Gorillaz but Kano did ONE SONG, White Flag (with Bashy), and that's it...and he didn't even play that again live. How he's still touring with Damon and the crew is just baffling.

Oh and The Shapeshifters were jamming in the roller disco, didn't expect that but drat it was cool.
-
I don't think Damon and Jamie will ever do another festival like this again, I loved it and I'm missing it already...I might go back to Dreamland for the arcade though.

Dugong posted:

Shoutout to the two women pretending they'd lost their son to push into the crowd, then punch a guy when he overheard them laughing about the lie :barf:

Wait really? Were they trying to get into the front row?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was probably near the very back (we never got further forward than the merch tent/mixdesk), and it was still an utterly amazing show. So glad I went, and glad that was my first live performance.

The trick I learned is to secure your spot before or during the other headliners so you don't have to stay in the far back (hence why I didn't care about Kano's gig), it also helps if some folks are nice enough to let you get closer to the band...unlike some women apparently.

Also I got a priority ticket and bought my merch the first few minutes into the festival, because 30 minutes later there was ALREADY a queue for it, I don't think they even saw the other merch stands.

Apparently Jamie was on the mixdesk for the whole gig but I think he already left after Damon was done, ah well.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Die Sexmonster! posted:

From the livestream, yeah it was an awesome show. I'd like to catch it again if anyone finds a good upload on YouTube!

I know some people had their phones out for the gig and they already did just that a couple days ago. But the bigger cameras for the livestream were there too, so I don't know why that footage wasn't available days after.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Ok I found a place where you can watch the footage. For :filez: reasons I won't link it but it's easy to find, just look on the Gorillaz subreddit in the last couple days, in threads where people are asking where they can watch a recording of the stream.

It's deleted now, the only links that are still up are the Little Simz and Danny Brown gigs. It's a shame really, Red Bull obviously had the cleanest footage too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Apparently, from a youtube video that recorded the intro to the gig, the whole Gorillaz act had a couple of extra tracks that were yet to be released (i.e. the super deluxe vinyl box set) so it turned out one or two videos from Demon Dayz got a strike for playing said songs.

Don't know what that means for the Red Bull footage though.