Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This and OPS+ are probably the best indicators of how good a player is offensively as a whole.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

then why are there scouts? and stats guys?

Scouts are around to analyze guys who you don't have hundreds/thousands of plate appearances or innings pitched to analyze. Scouting high school/college talent the scouts know the leagues and what statistics really mean in the context of where the player is playing. It's about predicting young players without the the big meaningful stats to analyze.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're asking what the rulebook criteria is there is none. It's up to the official scorer much like an error.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still advocate that any way you reach base should count as a hit (unless it's a walk, HBP or dropped K). Forced errors aren't accounted for in anyway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Twenty Four posted:

Counterpoint: as someone who has scored runs and stepped on home plate, it exists.

Yeah but atoms never actually touch, so technically you've never touched home base. Likewise you can never be put out.

Baseball is a sham!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I tend to think it's that most people are somewhere in the middle. Where yes getting the right call would be ideal but the human element and judgement calls have been such an integral part for so long that it's kinda cool to still have it, it feels like such an integral part of baseball.

Or at least MLB and the players know it would be a contentious issue to bring up and may alienate a lot of fans for not a lot of gain. Players might not care as much as you'd think because it can go both ways.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pitch box overlays during a live game suck, I don't mind if they show a pitch tracker on the side or after the pitch. But when it's a live box over the zone it's too distracting and then everyone watching the game makes a comment anytime the ball is a millimeter outside and called a strike.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Bear with me since I only started really understanding baseball a few years ago, but I've never understood why people like the idea of a designated hitter. It hides a guy in the field and protects a pitcher who can't bat. Why would you want to discourage all-round skills?

No you're right, it makes no sense to me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anything that gets us more position players pitching is good.

• Locked thread